Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Old 07-12-19, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
So you think journalists are not releasing these explosive stories about a vast conspiracy because of "media owners"? And there is no chance it's because the story just isn't that complicated?
I think this story will prove to be both remarkably simple (in what the essentials of it boil down to) and at the same time remarkably complex (because of the number of people involved, and their associations).

It's been obvious for as long as Epstein has been mentioned in this forum, that the odds were overwhelming that he was running a kompromat factory.
Old 07-12-19, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He's one of the best examples yet of why we shouldn't have billionaires.
Old 07-12-19, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Eh, plenty of major publications and outlets out there aren't beholden to Trump and Co.
it's not about being "beholden to Trump and co."

If an owner, or other high level execs, are compromised, Trump is immaterial. They will do what they can to protect themselves and minimize fallout- which could affect the entire company/brand if it comes to light.
If Trump, with his corrupt and willing AG, is the lever that needs to be pulled to keep the lights off, that's who'll they'll use.

Is this really that hard to fathom- especially at a point in time when the consolidation of the major media power into so few hands is taken for granted?
Old 07-12-19, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post

Is this really that hard to fathom- especially at a point in time when the consolidation of the major media power into so few hands is taken for granted?
Yes, because you're talking about thousands of people, many of whom got into journalism specifically to expose corruption, and saying they are willing to roll over and NOT report on one of the biggest stories of the decade because of a network owner. If it's big enough, people will just quit if management tells them to squash a story and put it out there anyway.

Do you think every major event or story is actually a much bigger conspiracy that only a few people can see? Simpler is almost always more believable.
Old 07-12-19, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, because you're talking about thousands of people, many of whom got into journalism specifically to expose corruption, and saying they are willing to roll over and NOT report on one of the biggest stories of the decade because of a network owner. If it's big enough, people will just quit if management tells them to squash a story and put it out there anyway.

Do you think every major event or story is actually a much bigger conspiracy that only a few people can see? Simpler is almost always more believable.
Of all these 1000's of journalists, why didn't any of them get it "right" with regard to Hussein's WMDs? Or find out leading up to the first gulf war that Nayirah's testimony about Iraqi soldiers taking Kuwaiti babies out of incubators, tossing the babies on the floor and taking the incubators was a lie? Plenty more examples, but you get the point.

Look. You believe what you believe. I believe something different. Neither of us are going to convince the other to change positions.
Old 07-12-19, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Not to mention, human beings absolutely suck at keeping secrets. If you tell one person some statement or fact under the condition of absolute secrecy, I'd say you have about a 50/50 chance of it remaining secret, at best. Two people, that goes down to 25%. Dozens or hundreds of people? It approaches zero.
Old 07-12-19, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Of all these 1000's of journalists, why didn't any of them get it "right" with regard to Hussein's WMDs? Or find out leading up to the first gulf war that Nayirah's testimony about Iraqi soldiers taking Kuwaiti babies out of incubators, tossing the babies on the floor and taking the incubators was a lie? Plenty more examples, but you get the point.

Look. You believe what you believe. I believe something different. Neither of us are going to convince the other to change positions.
Thats not at all the same. Itís not even remotely.
Old 07-12-19, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
I think that. Journalists attached to the MSM have a track record of going along with the narrative that's been set by the media owners and/or the government.

It's that behavior that gave rise to alt-media like Drudge and Breitbart. They didn't start out on the lunatic fringe.
What exactly do you think won’t be reported? This story is on the front page of every news outlet. Not only will every reporter who has worked on, will see, but every reporter. And now your going to get B level reporters and amateurs looking into this.

Hell we have already had one shoe dropped with a forced resignation. As more comes out, there is zero chance of it being brushed under a rug. For that to have happened, Epstein himself would have had to have been “dealt with quietly”.

Old 07-12-19, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Vicky Ward
In 2002, I was assigned to write a profile of Jeffrey Epstein for Vanity Fair. This was that piece. But what was published was far from the whole story

I uncovered many concrete, irrefutable examples of strange business practices and it soon became quite clear: Jeffrey Epstein was most certainly not who and what he claimed to be.
I was a little mystified at how benignly he responded to my questions about his suspicious business activities. The thing I noticed was that he was *much* more focused on another topic: He would ask me again and again, “What do you have on the girls?”
I did indeed have something “on the girls”—three remarkably brave first-person accounts from a mother and her two daughters about how Epstein had tried to seduce both daughters, the younger sister then only 16.
After I filed the piece, I was told that Graydon Carter was cutting the testimony of Maria Farmer, her mother, and her sister from the piece, erasing all mention of these brave women who had come forward with their stories of abuse.
I confronted Graydon, asking why he was doing something that seemed so clear to me to be so wrong.

“He’s sensitive about the young women” was his answer.
I have thought often about the fact that if my piece had been published in full—with the names and stories of these women—the FBI may have come after Epstein sooner and perhaps some of his victims would have been saved.

The thing about Jeffrey Epstein is that people KNEW this. See Trump’s comment back in 2002 about Epstein liking “beautiful women…many of them on the younger side.”
From Page Six in March 2016: “When the Russian girls arrive in the city, they already have Jeffrey’s phone number.”

For years, Jeffrey Epstein operated in plain sight. He was untouchable. His money and connections bought him the ability to evade justice.
Jeffrey Epstein’s friendships are not insignificant. They are a BIG part of this story. He has been insulated by those he could be capable of taking down.
miamiherald.com/news/state/flo…
Epstein is connected to Bill Barr:

Epstein is connected to Trump Secretary of Labor Alexander Acosta:

I urge you to back and read @jkbjournalist’s 3-part series “Perversion of Justice” that started all of this. It is a stunning expose on this egregious miscarriage of justice: miamiherald.com/news/local/art…
If you thought #MeToo was powerful, just wait for the fallout from this. There is more yet to come. I promise you that.
I tried to expose Jeffrey Epstein for what he is and I was silenced. Everyone who knew about Epstein was—silenced by people with more money and power and influence. Now that silence is over. It’s time for the truth to see the light.
There are some injustices that maybe only time can right. And that time has now arrived.

But there are people reporting on all this stuff and have been for years now.
Most of them aren't affiliated with the marquee media brands, and due to that and their inevitably more limited exposure, they get easily categorized as "fringe" and "conspiracists" by those very same marquee outlets.

from The Atlantic 7/2/17
How The Left Lost It's Mind
Polemicists, conspiracists, and outright fabulists are feeding an alternative media landscape—where the implausibility of a claim is no bar to its acceptance.
from Anatomy Of A Defamation @Medium
Originally Posted by Eric Garland
In 2005, I had a book deal with a New York publisher.

In 2007, I was teaching executives, out in hardcover in multiple languages, and targeted by a foreign spy to get access to the information my Washington, DC-based consulting firm possessed.

In 2008, I predicted the financial crisis down to the month and maneuvered my employees to get new jobs in anticipation of the crash. On the day the stock market crashed, I gave a keynote in Manhattan on the need for a renaissance of leadership.

In 2012, I wrote for The Atlantic and Harvard Business Review.

In 2014, I gave a keynote in S„o Paulo on “The Golden Age of the Intelligence Analyst” and started it in Portuguese. They graciously let me transition back to English. The next day, I gave an eight-hour master class in advanced strategic analysis. They had two interpreters on staff.

But by December of 2016, after pointing out the Russian influence on the US election in a Twitter thread that started with “Guys, it’s time for some Game Theory,” according to Slate, I was “fueled by prescription amphetamines and craft beer” and “a charlatan, a snake-oil salesman, peddling sleek gibberish to people.

In the annals of gaslighting, there must be some record around going from being a moderately well-known entity in a niche profession to being a public menace of mental instability worthy of 200 articles about how you aren’t worthy of public attention, published in a variety of global outlets.

Welcome to my 2016–2018. This is what happened if you stepped up to Russia, the Global Mob, and the financial elite during their seminal and doomed attack on democracy.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 07-12-19 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-12-19, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I feel like the media setup the Epstein coverage for the last week. Now they are putting himself beside Trump. It was a calculated move.

Is this linked to the child who claimed to be raped by Trump? I forget the details of that case. But most ignored it during the election.
Old 07-12-19, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Not to mention, human beings absolutely suck at keeping secrets.
IMO you don't need the last three words of that sentence.
Old 07-12-19, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
IMO you don't need the last three words of that sentence.
Brilliant!

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Not to mention, human beings absolutely suck at keeping secrets. If you tell one person some statement or fact under the condition of absolute secrecy, I'd say you have about a 50/50 chance of it remaining secret, at best. Two people, that goes down to 25%. Dozens or hundreds of people? It approaches zero.
And yet, our current President has, as a policy, and not ineffectually, turned belief in facts into a completely subjective proposition.

Even when a story breaks in the MSM the 33% assume it's fake news, and the rest of us are probably also beginning to not "believe what [we're] reading or seeing."
Old 07-13-19, 09:19 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

A retweeting rampage this morning. No original thoughts.
Old 07-13-19, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

MAGA!

Children of Men was on-point...

Old 07-13-19, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
I feel like the media setup the Epstein coverage for the last week. Now they are putting himself beside Trump. It was a calculated move.

Is this linked to the child who claimed to be raped by Trump? I forget the details of that case. But most ignored it during the election.
I think it is. The child who claimed was raped by Trump actually filed suit against him twice, but the case was thrown out for procedural issues (there was just something wrong with the paperwork or something?). They've recently filed a third time. The claim is that Trump and Epstein raped this girl when she was 13. The court filings say that the two of them were fighting over which got to take the girls virginity.
Old 07-13-19, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
I think it is. The child who claimed was raped by Trump actually filed suit against him twice, but the case was thrown out for procedural issues (there was just something wrong with the paperwork or something?). They've recently filed a third time. The claim is that Trump and Epstein raped this girl when she was 13. The court filings say that the two of them were fighting over which got to take the girls virginity.
Someone posted a screenshot of the docket a few posts back, with the full description.
Old 07-13-19, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Barr is confirmed, and then this investigation withers on the vine. Coincidence? Months ago, federal prosecutors requested interviews with Trump Organization executives, but the interviews never happened. This is what former federal prosecutors were afraid of and warned us about.

Where the hell is the House Judiciary Committee? Off taking a nap?

Trump Org executives unlikely to be charged, sources say at CNN.com

A federal investigation into whether Trump Organization executives violated campaign-finance laws appears to be wrapping up without charges being filed, according to people familiar with the matter.

For months, federal prosecutors in New York have examined whether company officials broke the law, including in their effort to reimburse Michael Cohen for hush-money payments he made to women alleging affairs with his former boss, President Donald Trump.

In recent weeks, however, their investigation has quieted, the people familiar with the inquiry said, and prosecutors now don't appear poised to charge any Trump Organization executives in the probe that stemmed from the case against Cohen.
In January, one month after Cohen was sentenced to three years in prison, prosecutors requested interviews with executives at the company, CNN reported. But prosecutors never followed up on their initial request, people familiar with the matter said, and the interviews never took place.

Meanwhile, there has been no contact between the Manhattan US Attorney's office and officials at the Trump Organization in more than five months, one person familiar with the matter said.
Old 07-13-19, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Someone posted a screenshot of the docket a few posts back, with the full description.
...and we all were sorry we read it.

Last edited by davidh777; 07-13-19 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-13-19, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Honestly, I think these images only help Trump. He's got 40% in his pocket - solid, not breaking The rest of us (not 60%) are outraged and just saying it to each other.

Unless the Dems can do some song and dance and find someone to beat his personality, we're stuck with this idiot until January 2025.
Old 07-13-19, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Honestly, I think these images only help Trump. He's got 40% in his pocket - solid, not breaking The rest of us (not 60%) are outraged and just saying it to each other.

Unless the Dems can do some song and dance and find someone to beat his personality, we're stuck with this idiot until January 2025.
My son is taking a field trip to the inauguration. Heís beyond excited but Iím bummed itíll be to watch King Dipshit Trump get a second term.
Old 07-13-19, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My son is taking a field trip to the inauguration. Heís beyond excited but Iím bummed itíll be to watch King Dipshit Trump get a second term.
I disagree. This doesnít help Trump. His base was going to vote for him on the perception of being a dick to those legally seeking asylum. His base was going to vote for him regardless,

i do think it it hurts him. Ok, I HOPE it hurts him. By getting a great turnout to vote. The more people that turn out the better for the democrats.
Old 07-13-19, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

at this point I hope he comes out of the closet, it might hurt him enough with evangelicals to lose him the election
then again maybe not
Old 07-13-19, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

I disagree. This doesnít help Trump. His base was going to vote for him on the perception of being a dick to those legally seeking asylum. His base was going to vote for him regardless,

i do think it it hurts him. Ok, I HOPE it hurts him. By getting a great turnout to vote. The more people that turn out the better for the democrats.
Turnout means crap unless it's in MI, PA, and WI (I think FL is a lost cause for the Dems). The borderline voters there don't give a rats ass about the Border and if they do, they are on Trump's side.
Old 07-13-19, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The election is more than a year away. Who knows what will happen between now and then.

Most here were sure that Clinton would win in 2016. Now many are sure that Trump will win in 2020. No one actually knows.
Old 07-13-19, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
The election is more than a year away. Who knows what will happen between now and then.

Most here were sure that Clinton would win in 2016. Now many are sure that Trump will win in 2020. No one actually knows.
True. I didn't figure she'd lose MI, PA, and WI. All 3. Now how is the path to winning those back? It sure ain't immigration policy.

And I didn't figure on idiot winning the GOP Nom.

Simple fact is - bigger personality wins the Presidency. There are some borderline cases like Bush/Gore, Carter/Ford. But it's a pretty solid barometer.

Last edited by Red Dog; 07-13-19 at 07:05 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.