Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Old 06-18-19, 08:56 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
If it's Biden/Trump, the only way to NOT vote for someone accused of Sexual Harassment is to do a write-in (great job, America!!!). And I won't be doing that because I feel Trump needs to leave office asap.
joke response: 2020 is the year of Gary Johnson and Linux!

real response: And there's a good chance - if the Mueller report is read at face value - that one of those men may be indicted come January 20, 2021. That man's name rhymes with frump.

Old 06-18-19, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
As concerns the tape of his sexist vulgarity, which would have killed the electoral chances of anyone else, I think his support was, and continues to be, based in a backlash against what these voters would term the "wussification" or "PC overload" of modern Western society. Trump represented, and still represents, a return to Neanderthalian times, when men could catcall and grab broads' bums or boobs with impunity, broads walked obediently behind and knew their place, as Melania does, and queers were outright detested or at least disparaged and marginalized.
The mammoth, lowbrow segment of society that feels this way, and love Trump's inarticulate, grunting-troglodyte bluster, will be forced to eventually accept the reality that much of the world has rapidly progressed socially (it still has a long way to go economically), and isn't going back, no matter how much he, his supporters, and some bible-thumping legislators rebel against it. If they make peace with the notions of treating women with respect and accepting the great diversity of the human condition, they will be a lot happier.
Mod Note: Some of. "Some of these voters." By even adding the words "some of" your post would not only avoid being a generalization it would also likely be accurate. The way to make your point and follow the rules and have credibility is to avoid generalizations, terms of absolute, etc. Taking just an extra bit of time to make sure one's post isn't a generalization not only slows you down to follow the rules it makes what you write more generous and worthy of consideration.

Originally Posted by coli View Post
I thought that generalizations weren't allowed anymore????? I honestly don't know what the rules of this forum are anymore.

Why don't I just say that anyone who supports Biden in the general election (if he gets the nomination) yearns for the times when you can touch women in public, smell women in public, and even harrass them by making them feel uncomfortable like the Democrat Legislator accused him of a few months ago from 2013.
Mod Note: If you're confused, the forum rules are still posted. The special Religion, Politics, and World Events rules are still posted. And the "report post" button still functions when a member feels something violates those rules.

The reason you don't say that about Biden supporters is because it would be petty. And perhaps even trolling. And it would violate the rules you're asking about. And because two wrongs don't make a right. And because we have multiple ways to respond to posts think violate the rules: report the post, post our disagreement about the post, put the member on ignore, simply ignore them, or disengage from the community.

Friends, anyone is welcome to use any of those ways of responding to posts they disagree with at any time, and please note that choosing to have one's
modus operandi in the community be constantly on the lookout for ways to catch people they disagree with in the act really isn't an option. It's a good way to lose credibility. If anyone in the community decides - even subconsciously - that their role here is to be the unofficial rule police, they might consider 1. what they're getting out of the community and 2. what the community is getting out of them.

Last edited by story; 06-18-19 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-18-19, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Toddarino View Post
I always thought Democrats were supposed to be the snowflakes?
That's a generalization!!!1!
Old 06-18-19, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Coli, I don't think the two complaints are in any way similar One looks to be an old guy who is just kinda handsy. It's inappropriate but some folks are just sort of like that. It's nothing sexual but just an overly friendliness that was unwanted. The other describes kissing women on the lips because he can't help himself and the desire to grab women in the genitals (something that was corroborated by multiple women). The first case, Biden sincerely apologized for the conduct, in the second Trump sort of apologized for saying the things he said but also denied that he was telling the truth at the time. He also said the one of the women who accused him of inappropriate grabbing was too unattractive for him to harass. He later went back and questioned if he really even said it, which I believe is called Gaslighting. They are in no way comparable. Any one pointing out Biden is doing so to try an negate what Trump did and has to realize it was WAY worse.
Your being too kind. By and large all of Bidenís issue is a single issue in this area. He inappropriately gets in womenís spaces hugs, touches them in ways that may not be welcome. Thatís pretty much it.

If Trump had ONLY that tape and nothing else, there might be an argument. Might be (very big stretch, but maybe). But we have Trump regularly demeaning women in public ďblood coming out of everywhereĒ. We have Trump openly cheating on his wife. Multiple times. We have Trump trying to pay hush money to some of these cause he thinks it might have hurt is reputations. You have him admitting, on tape, walking in on young female pageant competitors, while they are are changing.

This is a joke to compare. Biden has an issue. They may (and should) hurt him. Trump is...god...I donít know what he is. And should disqualify him from pubic service.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 06-18-19 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-18-19, 12:05 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Shanahan won't go forward as secretary of defense- He will devote more time for his family, so what did the FBI check come up with?
Old 06-18-19, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BDB View Post
Shanahan won't go forward as secretary of defense- He will devote more time for his family, so what did the FBI check come up with?
At a news conference at the White House, the president spoke at length about the “tremendous energy” that draws the “best talent” to his administration.

“They all want a piece of that Oval Office. They want a piece of the West Wing,” he said. “And not only in terms of, it looks great on their resume — it’s just a great place to work.”

Donald Trump, March 6, 2018
Old 06-18-19, 12:23 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

ah - I see

Old 06-18-19, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Trump today: "I thank Pat for his outstanding service and will be naming Secretary of the Army, Mark Esper, to be the new Acting Secretary of Defense. I know Mark, and have no doubt he will do a fantastic job!" he added.

Trump in three months: "I don't know Mark. I've never met him. He's been a disappointment his entire career!"
Old 06-18-19, 12:53 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Feels good to have no Secretary of Defense, what with all the stuff in Iran, and sending more troops to the area.

Cool Cool

Also No Swamp!
Pat Shanahan, a former Boeing VP, is out.
Mark Esper, who was Raytheon’s top lobbyist before joining the Pentagon, is in.
Old 06-18-19, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't worry we have an expert in war strategy and a stable genius as Commander in Chief. No need for a Defense Secretary
Old 06-18-19, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by BDB View Post
Feels good to have no Secretary of Defense, what with all the stuff in Iran, and sending more troops to the area.

Cool Cool

Also No Swamp!

Secretary of Defense? Secretary of Defense?? We don't need no stinking Secretary of Defense!

Remember - Trump knows more about any topic than his generals.
Old 06-18-19, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Only the best lack of people!
Old 06-18-19, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

Your being too kind. By and large all of Bidenís issue is a single issue in this area. He inappropriately gets in womenís spaces hugs, touches them in ways that may not be welcome. Thatís pretty much it.

If Trump had ONLY that tape and nothing else, there might be an argument. Might be (very big stretch, but maybe). But we have Trump regularly demeaning women in public ďblood coming out of everywhereĒ. We have Trump openly cheating on his wife. Multiple times. We have Trump trying to pay hush money to some of these cause he thinks it might have hurt is reputations. You have him admitting, on tape, walking in on young female pageant competitors, while they are are changing.

This is a joke to compare. Biden has an issue. They may (and should) hurt him. Trump is...god...I donít know what he is. And should disqualify him from pubic service.
I donít agree with some of Bidenís positions and am uncomfortable with the touching, but thatís cherry-picking from a multi-decade career, while Trump does disqualifying shit every day.
Old 06-18-19, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't like Biden but prefer him over Trump. Trump called for the death of kids he knew were innocent. The guy is evil.
Old 06-18-19, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post

I donít agree with some of Bidenís positions and am uncomfortable with the touching, but thatís cherry-picking from a multi-decade career, while Trump does disqualifying shit every day.
It's not like we have anyone better to choose from. This is where we're at as a nation. This is as good as it gets. 12 years from now, some of those who are against Trump now will look back and think (compared to who is in the oval office at that time) Trump wasn't THAT bad.
Old 06-18-19, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And with Shanahan out, the "acting" resets for the next guy, and it can perpetually keep going like that so none of them will have to go through with a confirmation hearing.

Our system of checks & balances always assumed good intentions on the part of the executive. It is not equipped for trump's bullshit.
Old 06-18-19, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
It's not like we have anyone better to choose from. This is where we're at as a nation. This is as good as it gets. 12 years from now, some of those who are against Trump now will look back and think (compared to who is in the oval office at that time) Trump wasn't THAT bad.
Are you serious with any of what you just posted? There are a half dozen solid candidates in the main field of democrats and any one of them is capable of leading the nation better than the current POS.

I really don't expect the country will survive if we are looking back 12 years from now and Trump "wasn't that bad."
Old 06-18-19, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd put that at close to 2 dozen.
Old 06-18-19, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by story View Post
Mod Note: Some of. "Some of these voters." By even adding the words "some of" your post would not only avoid being a generalization it would also likely be accurate. The way to make your point and follow the rules and have credibility is to avoid generalizations, terms of absolute, etc. Taking just an extra bit of time to make sure one's post isn't a generalization not only slows you down to follow the rules it makes what you write more generous and worthy of consideration.
Absolutely, I hate generalizations, and should have qualified what I wrote with a simple "Some...", "Many...", or "A few..."

Still, Dan I appreciate your impassioned line-by-line defence.
Old 06-18-19, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Only the best lack of people!

Has an administration ever had this many positions not properly filled? (taking into consideration all the folks in "acting" positions)
Old 06-18-19, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rules? Where we're going we don't need rules.
Old 06-18-19, 03:16 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Absolutely, I hate generalizations, and should have qualified what I wrote with a simple "Some...", "Many...", or "A few..."

Still, Dan I appreciate your impassioned line-by-line defence.
Been thinking about that, and I guess we all do it, but it really felt like the poster complaining about your post just wanted an 'out' to avoid addressing your actual points because the content of what you said was totally valid even if you mucked up two words.
"On all sides" maybe we all need to give each other just a bit more benefit of the doubt though... that goes for the callout against you in addition to my response to their comment. I could have done it... nicer.

Anyway, so... how about those internment* camps on the southern border that big T could put a stop to? Maybe those should... not... be a thing.

*internment does not equal DEATH. Please, let's all recognize that people are being held without trial in poor and life threatening conditions, and that maybe that shouldn't be the case.
Old 06-18-19, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

was waiting for someone here to comment on this critical distinction surrounding the intent behind the leak when I posted a reference to the story last week.
No one ever did.

I've figured ever since the meeting with the Russians in the Oval office, right after Comey was fired and when Trump divulged some classified Israeli intelligence to them, that critical DoD operational matters would be kept from him in the future.
But Molly is right. We have no way of knowing is this was a message direct to Putin, or if it was intended to alert Trump so that he could kill it.
Not keeping him in the loop on an operational detail is one thing. Countermanding a direct order, should he give it, is quite the other.
Old 06-18-19, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post

While I agree obviously, my point is that Trump, based on his own words should have been disqualified. Between his own words and total lack of qualifications, should not have been allowed to run. How that works Iím not sure.
Old 06-18-19, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
And with Shanahan out, the "acting" resets for the next guy, and it can perpetually keep going like that so none of them will have to go through with a confirmation hearing.

Our system of checks & balances always assumed good intentions on the part of the executive. It is not equipped for trump's bullshit.
And Mitch McConnell. The system is not equipped to deal with a son of bitch like this.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.