Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Old 05-30-19, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
What the fuck is Nancy Pelosi waiting for to start impeachment proceedings? I'm asking this seriously, not in a sarcastic way.
Flynn tomorrow. Could be something to see.

I'll just keep saying what I've said all along- this is bigger than just Trump.

Those other 14+ investigations are still ongoing and will eventually bring more stuff to light.

Everyday we get closer, not further away, to impeachment with removal.

Personally, I'd like to see Barr impeached first. Taking away Trump's shield would be a hell of a first strike.
Old 05-30-19, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What the fuck is Nancy Pelosi waiting for to start impeachment proceedings? I'm asking this seriously, not in a sarcastic way.
She's an awful strategist.
Old 05-30-19, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
Flynn tomorrow. Could be something to see.

https://twitter.com/MingGao26/status...43209549422605

I'll just keep saying what I've said all along- this is bigger than just Trump.

Those other 14+ investigations are still ongoing and will eventually bring more stuff to light.

Everyday we get closer, not further away, to impeachment with removal.

Personally, I'd like to see Barr impeached first. Taking away Trump's shield would be a hell of a first strike.
nope.
Old 05-31-19, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yep. The Senate will never remove Trump. Nothing could make them do it. Absolutely nothing.
Old 05-31-19, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While you're both, sadly, probably right, let's see what new information comes to light over the next few months.

And before anyone says it- I agree. There is more than enough out there already to warrant his removal, let alone impeachment.
Still, I do believe there will eventually be a tipping point. And it's going to be from something most people don't yet see coming.
Old 05-31-19, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Yep. The Senate will never remove Trump. Nothing could make them do it. Absolutely nothing.
This isn't news to anyone. Sitting with a limp dick while the president commits crimes is an awful look regardless.

What I don't get is you think it's a bad idea to impeach which means you either think there is nothing in the Mueller report or that there is some group of people who is not going to vote for Donald Trump today but will vote for him if impeachment is done and unsuccessful because it dies in the Senate. These people do not exist.
Old 05-31-19, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
While you're both, sadly, probably right, let's see what new information comes to light over the next few months.

And before anyone says it- I agree. There is more than enough out there already to warrant his removal, let alone impeachment.
Still, I do believe there will eventually be a tipping point. And it's going to be from something most people don't yet see coming.
He could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and Mitch would keep sipping his ice tea.
Old 05-31-19, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by grip View Post
Trump hits Mexico with 5% tarriffs on all Imports - related to stemming flow of migrants - PBS Newshour

I dunno....I'm not sure this is the best way to negotiate a NAFTA replacement.
So we went from: We're going to secure the border and Mexico is going to pay for it; to Mexico is going to secure the border, and we're going to pay for it. Cool. Cool cool cool.

Of course he also claimed the tariffs on China has weakened China so much that people were fleeing the country, so not sure how he thinks more tariffs on Mexico are going to stem the tide of immigration. Art of the deal and all that I guess.

4D chess man, you can't just impeach the most corrupt and unqualified president ever and risk alienating all the racists that weren't gonna vote for you anyway.

Old 05-31-19, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ultimaton View Post
4D chess man, you can't just impeach the most corrupt and unqualified president ever and risk alienating all the racists that weren't gonna vote for you anyway.

Well, when you put it THAT way.

Your comment brings a clarity that should make the decision easier.
Old 05-31-19, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nesbit View Post
This isn't news to anyone. Sitting with a limp dick while the president commits crimes is an awful look regardless.

What I don't get is you think it's a bad idea to impeach which means you either think there is nothing in the Mueller report or that there is some group of people who is not going to vote for Donald Trump today but will vote for him if impeachment is done and unsuccessful because it dies in the Senate. These people do not exist.
I donít know Dravenís reasoning, but I know some view impeachment as something that would fire up those who would vote for Trump if they vote, but may or may not actually vote. So, for example, you end up with 80% of Trump people showing up to pull the lever for him instead of 75%. Of course, even if thatís actually true, the Dems sitting on their hands and doing nothing could result in decreased turnout on that side of the aisle. Iím sure Deomcrat leadership has smart people doing extensive analysis to provide as accurate as possible potential outcomes of both paths.
Old 05-31-19, 06:47 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post

I donít know Dravenís reasoning, but I know some view impeachment as something that would fire up those who would vote for Trump if they vote, but may or may not actually vote. So, for example, you end up with 80% of Trump people showing up to pull the lever for him instead of 75%. Of course, even if thatís actually true, the Dems sitting on their hands and doing nothing could result in decreased turnout on that side of the aisle. Iím sure Deomcrat leadership has smart people doing extensive analysis to provide as accurate as possible potential outcomes of both paths.
I think thatís one of the frustrating things about the whole process. Pelosi and the Democratic leadership are looking at impeachment politically instead of what should be done Constitutionally.
Old 05-31-19, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post

This. If Trump ďbeatsĒ impeachment (and we know thatís what heíd say he did) then the Repubs and Trump will say that the Dems weíre trying to overturn the will of the people and only he can stand against them. If the economy is still good, I could see plenty of people who might not vote turning up to stand against the evil libs. It just takes the right states getting fired up over this to give Trump another win.
Old 05-31-19, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I work for GM, and our stock is already down like 5% thanks to the tarriff news.

Not that I care about stock prices, but I imagine the sales repurcussions aren't going to be pleasant.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into a second round of layoffs. I like my job and don't really want to go job hunting right now.

Wonder how long this trade craziness can go on before we end up with a recession. We're already long overdue for a downturn.
Old 05-31-19, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post

I think that’s one of the frustrating things about the whole process. Pelosi and the Democratic leadership are looking at impeachment politically instead of what should be done Constitutionally.

Maybe she doesn't have the support of among the Red States Democrats regarding Impeachment? Even though I don't agree on policy with Pelosi, she is no dummy when it comes to legislation and politics (she totally owned Trump on the shutdown). There are alot of Red State Democrats that got elected in 2018 from Trump districts who may not be keen on impeaching him, so Pelosi is not going to go through with Impeachment proceedings and then not have a vote, or have a vote that fails for Impeachment. That would piss off the base even more. That idiot Paul Ryan did that with the Obama Repeal/Replace back in 2017, and then had to pull the vote altogether because his caucus couldn't agree and he ended up looking foolish.

The things about the 1998 Impeachment was that the Republicans (rightly or wrongly) were pretty much all solid in the corner of voting for impeachment from the start so that is why they went through the process despite the public not wanting it and supporting Clinton. Nobody knows what goes on behind the scenes, but I firmly believe if Pelosi has the votes in her caucus, she is going forward with Impeachment. She's not going to put herself out there on the record right now until she is positive she has 218 votes.

Last edited by coli; 05-31-19 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-31-19, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think that’s one of the frustrating things about the whole process. Pelosi and the Democratic leadership are looking at impeachment politically instead of what should be done Constitutionally.
This x 1000.

This. If Trump “beats” impeachment (and we know that’s what he’d say he did) then the Repubs and Trump will say that the Dems we’re trying to overturn the will of the people and only he can stand against them. If the economy is still good, I could see plenty of people who might not vote turning up to stand against the evil libs. It just takes the right states getting fired up over this to give Trump another win.
The type of person who will not pay any attention to the details revealed in impeachment hearings and will only listen to Trump say he "Won" without getting the basic understanding of how he "Won" will without a shadow of a doubt already be there to vote for Trump in 2020. They are likely already lining up at the polls as we speak.

On the other side there are a lot of people who will only hear parts of the Mueller report if they're attached to high profile hearings which impeachment hearings would be.
Old 05-31-19, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think thatís one of the frustrating things about the whole process. Pelosi and the Democratic leadership are looking at impeachment politically instead of what should be done Constitutionally.
Tell that to the controlling Republicans in the Senate. That's the only reason why Pelosi is holding back from beginning impeachment hearings. IMO, I think she's doing the right thing, which is something I'm not used to saying about her. She has said several times until they can bring compelling evidence to CONVINCE at least 20 Republican senators, anything involving impeachment will be for naught. And look how Cheeto in Chief has taken the Mueller Report - it's a victory for him in his idiot mind. Can you imagine how he'll treat an impeachment victory? That's what he wants, the Dems to push impeachment, and the Republicans to exonerate him in the Senate and claim victory. That'll almost ensure a 2020 victory.
Old 05-31-19, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I completely agree with this 100%. Mueller is at fault here from the beginning for talking in this vague manner instead of being straightforward about it. I know he's speaking legalese to cover his ass in some respect, but he already did that in the report. His press conference needed to be as straightforward as possible.

Old 05-31-19, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Can you imagine how he'll treat an impeachment victory?
Yes. We've all been living in it for years. He will act aggrieved and unfairly targeted regardless. It's his MO.
Old 05-31-19, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This x 1000.

The type of person who will not pay any attention to the details revealed in impeachment hearings and will only listen to Trump say he "Won" without getting the basic understanding of how he "Won" will without a shadow of a doubt already be there to vote for Trump in 2020. They are likely already lining up at the polls as we speak.

On the other side there are a lot of people who will only hear parts of the Mueller report if they're attached to high profile hearings which impeachment hearings would be.
I have family members that do not care about any facts, they just "love" the chubby cheeto, they have literally said who cares when the news has reported a negative fact. They still bad mouth McCain and spread the lies about his service, like him hotshotting and starting the fire on the aircraft carrier or his "preferential treatment" while a POW. It is sickening and they are among a huge group in this country and unfortunately for me in my area I feel this is 90% of the population.
Old 05-31-19, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Cusm View Post
I have family members that do not care about any facts, they just "love" the chubby cheeto, they have literally said who cares when the news has reported a negative fact. They still bad mouth McCain and spread the lies about his service, like him hotshotting and starting the fire on the aircraft carrier or his "preferential treatment" while a POW. It is sickening and they are among a huge group in this country and unfortunately for me in my area I feel this is 90% of the population.
And they will be no more or less likely to vote for him based on what is done concerning impeachment hearings.
Old 05-31-19, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And they will be no more or less likely to vote for him based on what is done concerning impeachment hearings.
I don't know about that. An unsuccessful impeachment procedure could fire up his base to enthusiastically go vote. Plus it plays into a narrative that all the Democrats are interested in doing is "Getting Trump", not passing any legislation .
Old 05-31-19, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So you're saying there are people who will not vote for Trump now, will not listen to any of the details of the impeachment hearings, but will listen to Trump say he won the hearings and vote for him based off that?
Old 05-31-19, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So you're saying there are people who will not vote for Trump now, will not listen to any of the details of the impeachment hearings, but will listen to Trump say he won the hearings and vote for him based off that?
I think there are people who wouldn't necessarily vote at all in the upcoming election who would if they saw Trump get impeached and then not removed from office.
Old 05-31-19, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think there are people who wouldn't necessarily vote at all in the upcoming election who would if they saw Trump get impeached and then not removed from office.
The president is going to be calling requests for a debate a coup. Maybe not the debates specifically (though I mean it could be that who knows) but something will be called a coup as he's now calling the investigation a coup.

I would argue the same people who will be tricked into voting because he says he beat an impeachment will vote based on the "Coup" or one of 1,000 other things he'll scream about between now and then.
Old 05-31-19, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I would argue that the Republicans (except Justin Amash) -- particularly the ones in the Senate -- are the ones who are looking at impeachment politically.

Under what circumstances does giving Trump the ability to say "They tried to impeach and I was acquitted!" benefit the republic or the Constitution? I certainly believe there may be circumstances where impeachment is worth doing, even if it's a foregone conclusion that the Senate will acquit. But I think that if acquittal is the expectation, then the Democrats need to proceed extremely carefully. Impeachment is surgery, and you don't rush into surgery wielding a machete. Nor do you cut a patient open -- even one with a tumor -- if doing so will do more harm than good.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.