Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Old 05-26-19, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
And millions and millions of Americans wanted it that way. Depressing, huh?
Old 05-26-19, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Yes. He knew it would be blocked. He wanted it to be blocked. That's why he self-sabatoged it with what he said when he declared the national emergency.

He doesn't actually want the wall (never did), but wants the IDEA of the wall. As long as the wall isn't being built he gets to use that idea at every rally and a rallying point for 2020.

The same with Obamacare. The Republicans didn't actually want to repeal Obamacare but to use it as a political point to stir up their base to vote for them. McCain's thumb's down wasn't a maverick move, but one to save the Republicans from having to deal with the mess of the ACA being repealed.

Human nature being what it is, it's hard to get people stirred up to vote as a sign of approval for what has been done, but easy to get people motivated to vote when something needs to get done.

This is why we'll never see resolution on things like healthcare and immigration.
i disagree on the ACA. They tried to get rid of it and have been gutting for years. They are sabotaging it. It’s a shell of what it once was and that’s why it’s not as effective. And one big reason, taxing the wealthy. They want to repeal where the ACA gets a lot of it’s money for Medicare expansion.

They don’t care of “consequences” for the repealing the ACA. They want their money “back”.
Old 05-26-19, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Two peas in a pod. Like Bush II and Osama Bin Ladin. Makes me feel all warm. And scared.
Old 05-26-19, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Draven View Post

And millions and millions of Americans wanted it that way. Depressing, huh?
Come 2020 millions will still want it that way.

Hey Joe Buck says he's the greatest since honest Abe.
Old 05-26-19, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

i disagree on the ACA. They tried to get rid of it and have been gutting for years. They are sabotaging it. It’s a shell of what it once was and that’s why it’s not as effective. And one big reason, taxing the wealthy. They want to repeal where the ACA gets a lot of it’s money for Medicare expansion.

They don’t care of “consequences” for the repealing the ACA. They want their money “back”.
If they were serious about repealing the ACA and replacing it, they would've had a plan and would've been selling that plan to the American people.

But they had no plan. They settled for just beating the drum of repeal. They got spooked when it looked like it would actually be repealed.

Do you doubt that McConnell gets everything he wants? Do you think that McConnell would put something up for a vote where he was unsure of the outcome?
Old 05-26-19, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
If they were serious about repealing the ACA and replacing it, they would've had a plan and would've been selling that plan to the American people.

But they had no plan. They settled for just beating the drum of repeal. They got spooked when it looked like it would actually be repealed.

Do you doubt that McConnell gets everything he wants? Do you think that McConnell would put something up for a vote where he was unsure of the outcome?
I agree with you on they have no plan. And they have no plan as “essentially” the ACA is their plan. They only want to repeal because they didn’t get the credit for it. Have you seen their “replacement”? It’s basic ACA zombie. Everything bad with the ACA they increase.

But when they announced “repeal and replace” they had no replace. They just figured they would repeal and move on. I know we will never know the truth, but I disagree that the last minute save by McCain was a save by the GOP. They wanted a “win”. No matter what the cost they wanted a win and they didn’t get it.
Old 05-27-19, 06:45 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I guess we are just mincing words (but it's kinda fun), but his lack of compassion has been a trait he has had all his life. New Yorkers knew he was a con man for decades. He is an ignoramus and a buffoon, but I don't know if insane is the correct word to describe him. I agree that he's definitely not a normal human being.
As a lifelong New Yorker, it’s like waking up one day to see the local con man suddenly made king of the country. For decades, he’s been an eye rolling self promoter whom you can’t trust a word out of his mouth. I couldn’t stand him talking in the 80s/90s/00s back when he was at least harmless, but it’s just grating at this point.

I used to be positive and tried to think the best of my fellow Americans, but after the election I can only think a large percentage of them are gullible idiots.
Old 05-27-19, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Pretty rich coming from Captain Bone Spurs.
Old 05-27-19, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/...317588992?s=21

And of course, all about him. Instead of showing soldiers, it's a photo of him.
Old 05-27-19, 08:54 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

The guy who faked a disability and therefore sent another to Vietnam, making himself center stage on Memorial Day. Fuck Donald Trump and anyone that would even consider voting for him.

I’m about to make this my Facebook post. Hopefully I’ll lose 100 or so of my idiot friends.
Old 05-27-19, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by story View Post
Well, to be fair, until recently I thought the only way to tell if someone is gay is whether they go at it with Putin.

Aaaand scene.

/thread
ummm....story.....I gotta tell ya somethin' ..... *tracing toe in sand*
Old 05-27-19, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/...317588992?s=21

He's getting non-stop negative comments on Twitter for that one...
Old 05-27-19, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Fuck Donald Trump and anyone that would even consider voting for him.

I’m about to make this my Facebook post. Hopefully I’ll lose 100 or so of my idiot friends.
Go for it. I've been saying the same thing since, oh, 2016 or so.
Old 05-27-19, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would ask myself, how long before Trump can do the same, i.e. go from getting away with crimes without indictments, to getting away with crimes even with them:

Bibi hasn't even formed a government yet (he has until Wednesday) and he has already broken his promise not to seek immunity from prosecution (he's facing three cases of corruption (*)). In fact he's wheeling and dealing to get others on board:

A senior Labor Party official said Monday that Likud minister Ze'ev Elkin offered Labor head Avi Gabbay to join the coalition in return for supporting an immunity law which would protect Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu from indictment.

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/...-law-1.7297878
(*) On 28 February 2019, the Israeli attorney general announced his intent to file indictments against Netanyahu on bribe and fraud charges in three different cases.
Old 05-28-19, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Fuck Donald Trump and anyone that would even consider voting for him.

I have a question for the mods, is this type of post allowed? He is essentially saying 'Fuck you' to people like me who support him? I thought personal attacks weren't allowed in these forums?

Old 05-28-19, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by coli View Post
I have a question for the mods, is this type of post allowed? He is essentially saying 'Fuck you' to people like me who support him? I thought personal attacks weren't allowed in these forums?
Similarly, saying "Fuck Racists!" might make the racists on our forum feel bad, so we should definitely not say "Fuck Racists!" either.
Old 05-28-19, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That seems like a question that should have been asked using the Report Post button, right?
Old 05-28-19, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
Similarly, saying "Fuck Racists!" might make the racists on our forum feel bad, so we should definitely not say "Fuck Racists!" either.
Wait. I thought there were “fine” people. On both sides! I’m so confused! 😉
Old 05-28-19, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
Additionally, “fuck you, racist,” would be a personal attack. “Fuck racists,” is not, even if someone reading it is super duper racist and really feels personally hurt by the sentiment.
Old 05-28-19, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thought this won Twitter today

Old 05-28-19, 09:51 AM
Admin-Thanos

I noticed you left out the rest of the post. He said he was making it his FB status. Without that context it reads differently.

It's like if I came in and and simply posted, "AOC is a Communist and I hope that she and all her supporters get the firing squad!"

But it's different than if I posted, "You know, my best friend on FB posted 'AOC is a Communist and I hope that she and all her supporters get the firing squad!' and it got 150 likes in 10 min. That was amazing."

All that being said, I remind people that they should not be engaging in generalizations, even if people on “the other team” out in the world say ridiculous or classless things. Be better than the things you despise.

Last edited by VinVega; 05-28-19 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-28-19, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

IMO, the key word in "personal attack" is the word "personal". I don't believe that his post was as such, it wasn't directed at a specific person, but maybe I'm interpreting the definition incorrectly?
Old 05-28-19, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Be better than the things you despise.
But the things I despise are bigots and those who tolerate them in the name of superficial comity.
Old 05-28-19, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post

But the things I despise are bigots and those who tolerate them in the name of superficial comity.
I admit it : I had to Google the word "comity".
Old 05-28-19, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Who is he personally attacking? Who in particular did he call out?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.