Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Old 04-29-19, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by coli View Post
That was the narrative in 2016 if Trump were elected by ALOT of people on the left (including respected Economist Paul Krugman, who finally admitted he was wrong). The narrative was that if Trump were elected, the Economy would go into a recession, the stock market would crash. Doom....Doom....Doom...and none of that happened. And alot of people here around Christmas time were getting the knives out when the stock market was dropping and it looked like the Economy was slowing down during the shutdown (that seems to be the only time anyone here mentions the economy) and they were wrong again as we had a strong quarter of growth.
It’s not a “narrative”. It’s simply a fact. We have seen strong economics for 6 years. Just as we have seen good job numbers and jobless rates drop steadily. All for the last 6 years.

But please, if you have any facts that show differently, share them.
Old 04-29-19, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Like in business, there are no guaranteed outcomes. You choose a path and see what happens. Predictions are predictions. If there was a definitive solution, then it wouldn't be a prediction. You know, world peace and whatnot.

The economists I've heard from around election time (I recall it was on NPR) stated that the president only really has, say, 10% to do with where the economy goes.

The current economy looks nice. I'm sure it helps the 20% of people who don't live week to week. If you have an account over at Charles Schwab, getting a 10% roi is much better than an 8% roi. And that trickles down to the difference between and average person being unemployed or having a minimum wage job to go to. Those #'s don't really mean anything to most people. It's just sort of a fun stat to gossip about. Like fantasy football.

We will slowly work back into an economic bubble where where people are getting 20% roi. But that's dangerous gambling, as seen in the 2008 and 1987 collapse. That's where we always cycle back to. 1995 to 2008 was pretty great for everyone. Unlimited credit card debt, housing bubble, etc.

My concern with POTUS' policies, is when he starts pushing banking regulation to the side, so they can go back to gambling dangerously with people's money (many of whom have no control over, like a 401k). And then ignoring the environment so a company can make an extra 0.05% return. And then lowering taxes for those at the top, resulting in more of a deficit, and doing nothing for the 80% living week to week.
Overall I agree with this. The economy is too diverse and too complicated to be effected by a a single person or policy.

I worry about the debit that Trump is ignoring, yet we are seemingly getting nothing out of it.
Old 04-29-19, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

CNN had the ambassador on this morning who confirmed that he did sign off on a $2 million ransom for Otto Warmbier. He said he got approval from Rex Tillerson. Time to subpoena Tillerson to see where the orders came from and whether it was paid.
Old 04-29-19, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I support only the best people.

Kyler Murray, a Black Man, Was the Number One NFL Draft Pick. Trump Congratulated the Number Two Pick Instead

Trump Congratulates #2 NFL Draft Pick, Not #1 | Time
Old 04-29-19, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Already discussed days ago. He only cares about his supporters, nobody else.
Old 04-29-19, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
So after all of this it shows that incumbent presidents usually will win their re-elections.

Approvals until the arbitrary date chosen in the post (3rd of May) do not seem to be related to their re-election.

Correct?
Sure, if you want to only take away the Trump positives from the data and ignore any negatives, then that is absolutely correct.
Old 04-29-19, 10:52 AM

You could say that, but maybe it WAS the magic wand?

All the economists expected slower growth in 2019, but honestly the real "trick" here will be having it continue.
It's pretty easy to prove that Trump is failing by his own standards:

He said "these tax cuts will pay for themselves by GDP growth".

They aren't. On the contrary, he deficit is the biggest EVER in a normal economy (i.e. excluding war or recession). This is proof that GDP growth is too low. Or that he was lying.

Trump said 6% GDP growth and signed for 4% growth: https://assets.donaldjtrump.com/_landings/contract/O-TRU-102316-Contractv02.pdf.

Government spending, which is at record highs, is counted towards GDP growth.

Sp keep drinking the kool aid.
Old 04-29-19, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
CNN had the ambassador on this morning who confirmed that he did sign off on a $2 million ransom for Otto Warmbier. He said he got approval from Rex Tillerson. Time to subpoena Tillerson to see where the orders came from and whether it was paid.
Probably paid from a charitable donation from the Trump Foundation.

You know, Russian oligarch donates $5 million to the Trump Foundation through a shell company, $2 million is donated to the government to pay the ransom (deducted as a charitable gift), and the remaining $3 million is spent on "administrative expenses" (e.g. Big Macs, Filet-O-Fish sandwiches, and chocolate shakes).
Old 04-29-19, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Mark_vdH View Post
It's pretty easy to prove that Trump is failing by his own standards:

He said "these tax cuts will pay for themselves by GDP growth".

They aren't. On the contrary, he deficit is the biggest EVER in a normal economy (i.e. excluding war or recession). This is proof that GDP growth is too low. Or that he was lying.

Trump said 6% GDP growth and signed for 4% growth: https://assets.donaldjtrump.com/_landings/contract/O-TRU-102316-Contractv02.pdf.

Government spending, which is at record highs, is counted towards GDP growth.

Sp keep drinking the kool aid.
A real question, since I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to economics (engineering major here). And I'll phrase it in a world that makes more sense to me: Television sitcoms.
There was an episode of Married With Children where Peggy became a representative for a MLM (multi-level marketing) scheme. She was pulling in huge commission checks, which made everyone in the family (especially Al) jealous. It was finally revealed that she was her own biggest customer, using Al's money to buy the products and thus get the big commission checks.

Is Trump's economy sorta like that?
Old 04-29-19, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Let's not ignore all the mega-wealthy people making more money than ever, obscuring the ever shrinking margins for the middle-class and poorer.
Old 04-29-19, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Screenshot cause I'm lazy. Now harping on dues

Old 04-29-19, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

It’s not a “narrative”. It’s simply a fact. We have seen strong economics for 6 years. Just as we have seen good job numbers and jobless rates drop steadily. All for the last 6 years.

But please, if you have any facts that show differently, share them.
Lets look at GDP and I wouldn't say the economy has been strong for 6 years as Obama had trouble meeting 2% GDP yearly growth in 2016, 2015, 2012, 2011. If Trump can meet 3% growth this year, it will be the first year since 2005.

GDP
2019 (so far) 3.2%
2018 2.97%
2017 2.47%
2016 1.58%
2015 2.00%
2014 2.70%
2013 2.61%
2012 1.47%
2011 1.61%
2010 2.57%

https://www.multpl.com/us-real-gdp-g.../table/by-year
Old 04-29-19, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone heard a Democrat say anything close to "Bob who, sorry, don't know the man" about Mueller?
Old 04-29-19, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone heard a Democrat say anything close to "Bob who, sorry, don't know the man" ?
Don't you know? Only Trump gets to use anonymous sources.
Old 04-29-19, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Sure, if you want to only take away the Trump positives from the data and ignore any negatives, then that is absolutely correct.
Its hard to believe and would be a pretty big change since negatives are the only thing being allowed in this thread.
Old 04-29-19, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Its hard to believe and would be a pretty big change since negatives are the only thing being allowed in this thread.
Who's "allowing" only positive content? Trump is at 10,000 lies so far. If you have something positive to say, say it.
Old 04-29-19, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I’m shocked, just shocked, that Trump hates unions that represent workers.
Old 04-29-19, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I’m shocked, just shocked, that Trump hates unions that represent workers.
Yeah who'd have guessed
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/27/n...ettlement.html

Trump Paid Over $1 Million in Labor Settlement, Documents Reveal

In 1980, under pressure to begin construction on what would become his signature project, Donald J. Trump employed a crew of 200 undocumented Polish workers who worked in 12-hour shifts, without gloves, hard hats or masks, to demolish the Bonwit Teller building on Fifth Avenue, where the 58-story, golden-hued Trump Tower now stands.The workers were paid as little as $4 an hour for their dangerous labor, less than half the union wage, if they got paid at all.

Old 04-29-19, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah who'd have guessed
He's such an inspiring leader. #MAGA (but not if you're an undocumented Polish worker).
Old 04-29-19, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm, looks like he had less issues with illegal immigrants back then, as long as he benefited from them. What an asshole.
Old 04-29-19, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hey coli, quick question for you : Since you support Trump on the basis of the economy, do you support his desire to put Steven Moore and Herman Cain on the Federal Reserve Board? Do you think his stacking of cronies who are beholden to his whims, on what has always been an impartial and independent Reserve would be a good thing for the country's financial health?
Old 04-29-19, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rod Weaselstein is resigning. I guess he landed the plane.
Old 04-29-19, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Jesus Christ. Does Trump know anyone else to put in as an acting deputy attorney general? Is Barron an option?
Old 04-29-19, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mulvaney is always available.
Old 04-29-19, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He's already announced he's nominating Jeffrey Rosen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_A._Rosen

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.