Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Old 04-23-19, 04:26 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
He's like a fucking child, he's never matured mentally because he never had to. I'd remember when I would catch one of my kids in lie, and they would deny up and down that they did something wrong even though I fucking saw them do it. That's normal behavior for a seven year old, they're still trying to figure out how lying works, but for an adult, for the fucking President of the United States, it's just a total embarrassment.
Not to derail or anything but... when does this fucking end???? My 6 year old is a big liar when it comes to all sorts of little things. I call her out on it* every damn time, but it doesn't help.

*edit: just to be clear... When I say I call her out on it, I mean I take a video of her lies and post them on twitter saying, "LOOK AT THIS LYING LIAR RIGHT HERE! Please RT to show liars that they're bad!!" I assume this is what other, good, parents do.
Old 04-23-19, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Not to derail or anything but... when does this fucking end???? My 6 year old is a big liar when it comes to all sorts of little things. I call her out on it* every damn time, but it doesn't help.

*edit: just to be clear... When I say I call her out on it, I mean I take a video of her lies and post them on twitter saying, "LOOK AT THIS LYING LIAR RIGHT HERE! Please RT to show liars that they're bad!!" I assume this is what other, good, parents do.
You put a sign around their neck that says "I lied about [X]", and post that to all social media, pinning their name on it, so it follows them for the rest of their lives. That's good parenting!

Old 04-23-19, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 04-23-19, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It doesn't end. Just be happy about it now, when the lies are to your questions "Did you brush your teeth?", instead of "When your mom and I are on vacation, you won't have a massive keg party here with all your friends, will you?" like they will be in about 10 years.
Old 04-23-19, 05:16 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Jack was in the white house today to let Trump whine about losing followers.
Old 04-23-19, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

LOL, at having to explain how things work to the president as if he's a petulant child.

Old 04-23-19, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The longer this goes on the more they look like they hiding something and the more demand for impeachment will grow. Public opinion of the matter is important. If dems decide to impeach at the height of outrage they can maybe get a pass when it is ultimately unsuccessful.

His tax returns almost certainly would reveal more criminal activity and compromising material than the entire Mueller report did. There's a reason why he didn't do anything when Mueller was appointed but ordered him to be fired as soon as he found out they were trying to get his financial records, and how he constantly threatens people with lawsuits but didn't actually sue anyone as president until the democrats subpoena'd his financials.
Old 04-23-19, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And even though McGahn doesn't work for the WH anymore, they're still trying to block his testimony...

As the article points out, this is the equivalent of Nixon trying to stop Dean.
Republicans will do nothing to grease the wheels of oversight until someone forces their hand. Thankfully it looks like Trump's executive privilege claim won't work here, as he told McGahn to speak truthfully to the special prosecutors.
Old 04-23-19, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
The longer this goes on the more they look like they hiding something and the more demand for impeachment will grow. Public opinion of the matter is important. If dems decide to impeach at the height of outrage they can maybe get a pass when it is ultimately unsuccessful.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/s...00021270626304

His tax returns almost certainly would reveal more criminal activity and compromising material than the entire Mueller report did. There's a reason why he didn't do anything when Mueller was appointed but ordered him to be fired as soon as he found out they were trying to get his financial records, and how he constantly threatens people with lawsuits but didn't actually sue anyone as president until the democrats subpoena'd his financials.
I agree. And when Mnuchin refuses to release Trump's returns, what then? Another deadline? The system is broken.

There are lawsuits pending about Trump's "national emergency". how long will that go on for? For all intents and purposes, he got away with it. I won't be surprised if he declares another one.

And even though McGahn doesn't work for the WH anymore, they're still trying to block his testimony...

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1120800581151539203

As the article points out, this is the equivalent of Nixon trying to stop Dean.
Republicans will do nothing to grease the wheels of oversight until someone forces their hand. Thankfully it looks like Trump's executive privilege claim won't work here, as he told McGahn to speak truthfully to the special prosecutors.
Trump will claim executive privilege and McGahn will go along with it.
Old 04-23-19, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Trump will claim executive privilege and McGahn will go along with it.
They already waved that when McGahn talked to Mueller. I don't think you can un-wave executive privilege.
Old 04-23-19, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not only that, he's being attacked by Trump and Rudy. He has no motivation to protect Trump anymore.
Old 04-23-19, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Trump and Company is STILL obstructing justice.

How can anyone defend this is beyond me.
Old 04-23-19, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
It's like we (they) elected a little kid to be President and he gets away with everything because you can't pick on a poor little kid.
He certainly whines like I remember my kids doing when they were toddlers.
Old 04-23-19, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
They already waved that when McGahn talked to Mueller. I don't think you can un-wave executive privilege.
I agree. I don't think you CAN un-wave executive privilege but then again this is Trump and there is already precedent for refusing to answer questions on the possibility that Trump could exercise executive privilege in the future. THAT was allowed to stand.
Old 04-23-19, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is what he spends all day thinking about... not how to help Americans, but how much credit he gets from the media.

"I let McCain have his funeral and nobody thanked me and that’s okay."

And the Dems are just useless fucking cowards...

Do these people not live in the current US reality where trump plays the victim daily? (see above tweet)

1. If you have to consider the public reaction when deciding on impeachment, then you don't actually believe in justice or the rule of law0

2. Trump uses everything as an excuse for unwarranted victimhood, so who fucking cares?

3. If you want to shirk your duty because you're too busy parsing the political calculus, get the fuck out of the party. Thanks.
Old 04-23-19, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
I agree. And when Mnuchin refuses to release Trump's returns, what then? Another deadline? The system is broken.
Real consequences should follow disobeying a lawful order. "You refuse to hand over the president's tax returns, Mr. Mnuchin? You are under arrest. Please place both hands behind your back and interlock your fingers."
Old 04-23-19, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Real consequences should follow disobeying a lawful order. "You refuse to hand over the president's tax returns, Mr. Mnuchin? You are under arrest. Please place both hands behind your back and interlock your fingers."
How does that work? Is it Nadler that decides he is contempt of court and calls the cops? Or does he have to go to a judge and make that case first?
Old 04-23-19, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's a nice fantasy but would never happen. So what happens when Mnuchin refuses?
Old 04-23-19, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And who, pray tell, would actually do that?
Old 04-23-19, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
How does that work? Is it Nadler that decides he is contempt of court and calls the cops? Or does he have to go to a judge and make that case first?
Its called contempt of Congress and here is an example:

On June 20, 2012, the Oversight Committee voted 23–17 along party lines to hold Attorney General Eric Holder in contempt of Congress for not releasing documents the committee had requested.

President Obama and the Justice Department declined to prosecute the attorney general on the contempt charge citing executive privilege.

link
Old 04-24-19, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 04-24-19, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by coli View Post
I've said it here before but I have a real high standard for impeaching a President. I thought it was wrong when the Republicans did it to Clinton in 1999, and think it will be wrong if the Democrats impeach Trump. I don't think Clinton and Trump's actions rise to the level of Impeachment, and that is as honest as an answer that I can give you. I do think it is a coincidence (and embodies what I hate about partisan politics) that the majority of Republicans thought Clinton should have been impeached in 1999, and the majority of Democrats thought he shouldn't be impeached. And the same goes for Trump, as the Democrats are the ones who want him impeached, and the Republicans are the ones who don't think he should be impeached.

Wow, what a coincidence??? The other party thinks the President should be impeached, his own party thinks he shouldn't!!! Wow, it's almost like nobody can literally think for themselves as it's typical partisan bullshit politics. I stand by that Clinton shouldn't have been impeached, and I stand by that Trump shouldn't be impeached. The irony is EVERY politican in Washington doesn't think that way.
Do you realize that you didn’t answer the question asked in the least little bit?
Old 04-24-19, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

LOL, at having to explain how things work to the president as if he's a petulant child.

https://twitter.com/TonyRomm/status/1120807511324614656
Yes. I bought Twitter followers for my business account before. I have a few thousand "real" followers. And was up to around 20k with fake followers at one time. It was mostly a stab at what I call "junk SEO" to see if it helped improve "junk traffic", which helps improve "real traffic". Think of it as a snowball of fluffy white snow and dog poop.

Anyways, once one falls, they all fall. You can diversify (pay separate entities for fake followers). But pretty much once a single person gets booted, 1000 get booted within moments.

Trump's account experiences this for two reasons...

1. His campaign paid for followers. Like, A LOT. Previously, he likely paid for lots of followers just being a regular celebrity on Twitter.

2. When you have a popular account, those fake followers follow you without asking. This helps their own account look better within Twitter's algorithm and standards.

It doesn't help that some real followers will unfollow out of shame. Even if they did once support and vote for him, you can only say so much awful shit before people of conscious turn away. Tho he'll always have his believers (or whatever you want to call his cult).
Old 04-24-19, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's a good analysis of Donald's fake Twitter activity: https://sparktoro.com/blog/we-analyz...or-propaganda/

Don has 60% fake followers. Obama has 40%. Obama likely never paid for fake followers. Especially given the timeframe in which he was president, and fake Twitter popularity increased. But bots and spammers follow him as I stated above in point #2.

Don's whole presidency is a marketing con. He elbowed his way into the GOP who didn't want him. He counterattacks rightfully bad public relations.
Old 04-24-19, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post

Don's whole presidency is a marketing con.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.