Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Old 04-23-19, 11:01 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

The party line is strong with Senator Graham
Old 04-23-19, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
I don't want to risk winning a battle but losing the war.
Again, that's not the point of oversight/impeachment.
Old 04-23-19, 11:06 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Right Jared - Right - they bought some ads!

Also Trumps tweets today so whiney. He's a big baby..
Old 04-23-19, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BDB View Post
Right Jared - Right - they bought some ads!

https://twitter.com/CillizzaCNN/stat...14621525078017

Also Trumps tweets today so whiney. He's a big baby..
And here's Russia "buying some ads" on twitter...

Old 04-23-19, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Again, that's not the point of oversight/impeachment.
I ask this sincerely. What is the point, in your view?
Old 04-23-19, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Former Republican congressman distills the obstruction case:

We have a 400-page report, and the House only needs to have one single hearing. Have Bob Mueller, Don McGahn, KT McFarland, and Corey Lewandowski testify, and ask them one question: Is the information contained in the Mueller report a true and accurate reflection of the facts? And if they say yes, call for a vote, up or down, on impeachment. Because what their testimony to Mueller suggests and confirms is that Donald Trump, as President of the United States, tried to kill the Special Counsel's investigation into his own actions and his campaign and then instructed staff to lie about his obstruction.

Last edited by Ghostbuster; 04-23-19 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-23-19, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
I ask this sincerely. What is the point, in your view?
I won't speak for Slop but from my viewpoint, the crimes fit impeachment and I expect that duty to be completed at some point. I do not support a strategy of just letting the voters decide it all at the next election.

I am not in support of impeaching today, although I think the crimes are clearly there. I have no issue with the strategy of taking all the strings that Mueller has provided and pulling them one by one. Keep pulling people in and having them publicly testify. You will never convert all of Trump's supporters but there will be enough of them that eventually the GOP will feel that it will hurt them electorally.

I do expect impeachment at some point down the road.

Old 04-23-19, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

How is that a concern? Why should him winning reelection be easier for him after being impeached?
Again, show your math.
Easy - Dems go after Trump in the House. The Senate doesn't vote to impeach. Trump and Republicans tell their supporters that the Dems are trying to overturn the election and get them all fired up. Dems splinter again because of fucking Bernie Sanders and can't pull together enough momentum to beat Trump in the Electoral College with a candidate who isn't fucking Bernie Sanders. Carry the 1 and Trump wins again.
Old 04-23-19, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'd also add that similar to Clinton, everything is already known (with Clinton, he got a beej, lied about it, that's it). The Mueller Report basically confirmed what we've already suspected and been hearing about the last year or two regarding Trump's involvement with the Russians who attempted to influence the 2016 election. There's nothing new to be revealed. If we hammer it into the ground, we could end up looking worse. I know it's odd, but think Frank Grimes from The Simpsons. He went out of his way to point out Homer Simpson's incompetence (which everyone was already well aware of) to the point he ended up looking stupider himself, and it eventually killed him.
Old 04-23-19, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That discounts everything we've heard about how if the Dems had run anyone but Hillary. If Trump can successfully compete against all other potential Dem candidates then we don't want to be relying on the election. Your argument also relies on people outside of Trump's base believing that the impeachment charge was without merit.
Old 04-23-19, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Oh, and can you imagine the victory lap should Trump be impeached then acquitted (if that is indeed the proper term) by the Senate? Hell, the Mueller Report had a lot of pretty damning content, and he strutted around with his tail in the air upon it's release. And yes, I heard the Stray Cats on the radio this morning.
Old 04-23-19, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Oh, and can you imagine the victory lap should Trump be impeached then acquitted (if that is indeed the proper term) by the Senate? Hell, the Mueller Report had a lot of pretty damning content, and he strutted around with his tail in the air upon it's release. And yes, I heard the Stray Cats on the radio this morning.
Trump's level of denial is staggering. They could be walking him to prison in handcuffs, and he'll be insisting that his arrest is "Fake News".
Old 04-23-19, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's not hard to find "former" conservative Senators, Governors, or White House staff that have nothing good to say about Trump. They're no longer tied to the party and voters so they can be honest. The issue is finding in office people capable of instigating change.
Old 04-23-19, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kmical View Post
Trump's level of denial is staggering. They could be walking him to prison in handcuffs, and he'll be insisting that his arrest is "Fake News".
He's like a fucking child, he's never matured mentally because he never had to. I'd remember when I would catch one of my kids in lie, and they would deny up and down that they did something wrong even though I fucking saw them do it. That's normal behavior for a seven year old, they're still trying to figure out how lying works, but for an adult, for the fucking President of the United States, it's just a total embarrassment.
Old 04-23-19, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Democrats get Mueller and a few others to testify first. Then they impeach Trump. It's that simple. Also, I'm not sure how someone can simply refuse a subpoena.
Old 04-23-19, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
He's like a fucking child, he's never matured mentally because he never had to. I'd remember when I would catch one of my kids in lie, and they would deny up and down that they did something wrong even though I fucking saw them do it. That's normal behavior for a seven year old, they're still trying to figure out how lying works, but for an adult, for the fucking President of the United States, it's just a total embarrassment.
This is probably the first time in his life that heís faced any kind of repercussions for lying, and so far those havenít mattered yet because heís still protected by enablers. That makes it even more embarrassing because so much of the government just doesnít care.
Old 04-23-19, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow someone came to their damn senses?

They are so afraid of the right wing machine, to a fault. They don't realize that you give them ammo no matter what you do.
trump supporters are brainwashed acolytes at this point. Fuck them all and do what needs to be done.
Old 04-23-19, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
Also, I'm not sure how someone can simply refuse a subpoena.

They simply skip the hearing.
Old 04-23-19, 02:16 PM

You guys all realize that you can Impeach Trump, but you need 67 Senators to vote 'yes' to convict him as President? Right now the Republican have 52 Senators, so you will essentially need about 20 Republican Senators to flip. To give you perspective, the Republicans impeached Clinton in 1998-99 and 0 Democrat Senators voted to convict the President, so the Impreachment was DOA before it even got to the Senate.
Old 04-23-19, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by coli View Post
You guys all realize that you can Impeach Trump, but you need 67 Senators to vote 'yes' to convict him as President? Right now the Republican have 52 Senators, so you will essentially need about 20 Republican Senators to flip. To give you perspective, the Republicans impeached Clinton in 1998-99 and 0 Democrat Senators voted to convict the President, so the Impreachment was DOA before it even got to the Senate.
you don't say?
Old 04-23-19, 02:20 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Last night Senator Warren said this about the facts revealed in the Mueller report about Trump's obstruction (which confirmed much of what the media has been reporting for 2 years) and whether impeachment proceedings should be brought:

“If there are people in the House or the Senate who want to say that’s what a president can do, when the president is being investigated for his own wrongdoings...then they should have to take that vote and live with it for the rest of their lives.”

The House can't abdicate it's responsibility to protect the Constitution from clear abuses by the President simply because the Senate probably won't follow through. The smart strategy (IMO) is to hold public hearings confirming every fact set forth in the Mueller report. People need to see multiple witnesses testify under oath to the truth of the report. Then let the Republicans publicly cast a vote saying "nah, we're ok with it all". If done right I don't think this will backfire on the Dems. Even if it does - political expedience is not a reason to avoid your Constitutional responsibility.
Old 04-23-19, 02:21 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

They are so afraid of the right wing machine, to a fault. They don't realize that you give them ammo no matter what you do.
trump supporters are brainwashed acolytes at this point. Fuck them all and do what needs to be done.
Much more succinct than what I said
Old 04-23-19, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
you don't say?
You can smirk at me all you want, but Impeachment is all I hear on CNN, MSNBC, Liberal blogs, and even here all day. So you may know what I was talking about, but I don't think they got the memo.
Old 04-23-19, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can smirk at me all you want, but Impeachment is all I hear on CNN, MSNBC, Liberal blogs, and even here all day. So you may know what I was talking about, but I don't think they got the memo.
There is literally NO ONE of any consequence that thinks impeachment will pass the senate at this point. The question people are debating now is if it is worth doing it just to pass it in the house, knowing full well it will fail in the senate.
Old 04-23-19, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think rather than smirking at you, most here would be curious to know what you thought of the Mueller report. I don't know anyone who's found as little to dislike about Trump or his behavior as you have, so I'd be very interested to know if you find the acts detailed in the report to be acceptable.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.