Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Old 04-23-19, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
In my opinion it would be idiotic (politically) for the Democrats to try to impeach. I mean, I'm 100% sure Trump has committed treasonable offenses, but I'm also 100% sure Mitch McConnell isn't interested in my opinion...

In 2018 the Democrats won big because, in spite of GOP accusations to the contrary, the Dems focused on issues like health care, and did not spend much time talking about Trump or impeachment. The Republicans would love it if the Democrats brought out impeachment charges, because it would make all their accusations that the Democrats aren't interested in governing come true, and give them the best campaign issue they could ask for.
Was that a ďtypoĒ? Your 100% sure Trump
committed treason? Or did you mean ďimpeachable offenseĒ?

If you truly mean reason, I donít know how action is not taken. Impeachable offense? I agree there is
at least the discussion.
Old 04-23-19, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

Was that a ďtypoĒ? Your 100% sure Trump
committed treason? Or did you mean ďimpeachable offenseĒ?

If you truly mean reason, I donít know how action is not taken. Impeachable offense? I agree there is
at least the discussion.
It was a typo. I was recalling how I posted a few months ago that I thought Trump was probably a traitor...
Old 04-23-19, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
11 tweets so far this morning, including this gem:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...30405831569408
What an inspiring leader #BeBest
Old 04-23-19, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
It's funny how it's always the Dems who are backed into a corner and can't stand up for principles. Same thing happened in the Iraq War vote. They were bullied into a corner and folded up like a bunch of cheap suits. Now politically I don't know if I disagree with your point, but politics is a sad state of affairs these days.

I guess my point is, maybe it should be about something more than just winning the next election...once in a while.

Allowing the clock to run out and take their chances at the polls undermines the claims that Trump is quickly doing tremendous damage to the country.

If he is doing the damage that they claim he is (I agree), then make the case and present the case.

If someone says "run! there's a fire in the house!" but then walks to the fridge, pulls out a sandwich and a Coke and sits in the recliner to watch Netflix, is that person to be believed?

At the very least, the House could hold hearings on the content of Mueller's report and use it as a "case study" for why specific laws need to be written to codify things that up to now had only been done because of an unwritten "gentleman's agreement". They would then craft legislation to address those issues (which McConnell will refuse to put up for a vote).
Old 04-23-19, 07:42 AM

Interesting how they are no longer the "failing" New York Times. I wonder if President Trump realizes his attacks on the free press have caused newspaper subscirptions to increase.

Old 04-23-19, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sracer View Post

Allowing the clock to run out and take their chances at the polls undermines the claims that Trump is quickly doing tremendous damage to the country.

If he is doing the damage that they claim he is (I agree), then make the case and present the case.

If someone says "run! there's a fire in the house!" but then walks to the fridge, pulls out a sandwich and a Coke and sits in the recliner to watch Netflix, is that person to be believed?
To me itís like the house is on fire and canít be saved so you start trying to protect the neighborís houses. Trump canít be impeached and removed from office, so work instead on removing him and his cronies on Election Day.
Old 04-23-19, 07:44 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

I imagine that we will see hearings on whether impeachment proceedings should be brought. Those hearings will be designed to bring to light the accusations/facts laid out in the Mueller report, to have witnesses testify publicly about Trump's obstruction. Those hearings will last through late October/early November 2020.
Old 04-23-19, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven View Post

To me itís like the house is on fire and canít be saved so you start trying to protect the neighborís houses. Trump canít be impeached and removed from office, so work instead on removing him and his cronies on Election Day.
In that allegory, the house on fire is the country. That means that the neighbors' houses are Canada and Mexico. Are you saying that the country can't be saved and that we should make sure that Canada and Mexico stay safe?
Old 04-23-19, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
In that allegory, the house on fire is the country. That means that the neighbors' houses are Canada and Mexico. Are you saying that the country can't be saved and that we should make sure that Canada and Mexico stay safe?
To me itís that the Trump administration and Senate Republicans are irredeemable. The only way to fight back is to remove them ALL from office, and impeachment canít do that.
Old 04-23-19, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Interesting how they are no longer the "failing" New York Times. I wonder if President Trump realizes his attacks on the free press have caused newspaper subscirptions to increase.

Count me in who has bought an on-line prescription. Bought due to Trumps baseless attacks on the media.

Of course the NYT never apologized (nor should they have) in 2016.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...ogized-bad-co/
Old 04-23-19, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

America approaches another mile marker on the "Road to Dictatorship":

Supreme Court will hear arguments over census citizenship question

Solicitor General Noel Francisco stressed in court briefs that the citizenship question was legal and that "nothing in the record supports the district court's extraordinary charge that the Secretary of Commerce" lied about his rationale for the decision.

He also said Ross' action is not reviewable under the Administrative Procedure Act because "courts do not have the authority to second guess the Secretary's decision" in part because the Constitution vests Congress with "virtually unlimited discretion" in conducting the census. Congress, he said, delegated the authority to the secretary of commerce.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/23/polit...ion/index.html

This administration is arguing that the courts have no oversight rights on the census.

Isn't that one of the court's roles - to determine the limits of the discretionary power of the other two branches of government - as specified under current law and the Constitution???

Last edited by Kmical; 04-23-19 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-23-19, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've said it before: left and right ideals have their own projections on what works and doesn't work. But we are past that with the Trump Administration. These people are actually evil. Okay, maybe they're not evil. In the same way they were too stupid to collude, they are too stupid to be evil.

The world has become socially connected, globalized, dumb, and soft. So I don't think we are in trouble. But we're basically the softened, dumb version of Hitler's Germany. Republicans own this era in American history.
Old 04-23-19, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can someone offer a history lesson and tell me how likely was Bill Clinton to have been successfully impeached when they started proceedings on him? I'm seriously stunned that this does not seem like something worth doing now. Obviously mcTrump will use it as fire for his reelection bid but I cant help but think history will judge us harshly for not taking this compromised treasonous wanna be dictator out ASAP.

I saw on Rachel Maddows last night Maria Butina had names of potential Secretary of state 3 days after the election and emails with Russia showing she expected them to be able to review the choices and influence the selection process. How is this not the headline???

Old 04-23-19, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
11 tweets so far this morning, including this gem:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...30405831569408
Does anyone else think Cohen was right when he said that Trump wasn't going to leave office the easy way? This fucking guy thinks of himself as a king and as everyone has seen with all the obstruction he's done and keeps doing, he doesn't care what anyone thinks because he is getting away with all of it. The Democrats need to impeach now.
Old 04-23-19, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's funny to me when people bring up the Clinton impeachment and how it backfired on the Republicans.
Yeah, the Clinton impeachment backfired so hard that Republicans won the Presidency, maintained control of the House, and were left with a 50-50 tie in the Senate after the 2000 election. Imagine how much harder it would've "backfired" if Clinton were as unpopular as trump.

If that’s what a backfire looks like then I’ll take it.
Old 04-23-19, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

Count me in who has bought an on-line prescription. Bought due to Trumps baseless attacks on the media.

So, it's almost like Trump's attacks on the media gave you a fever?
Old 04-23-19, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
It's funny to me when people bring up the Clinton impeachment and how it backfired on the Republicans.
Yeah, the Clinton impeachment backfired so hard that Republicans won the Presidency, maintained control of the House, and were left with a 50-50 tie in the Senate after the 2000 election. Imagine how much harder it would've "backfired" if Clinton were as unpopular as trump.
A LOT of ret-conning from Republicans happens regarding the Clinton years, and this is but another example. The impeachment of Clinton had enough of an effect on his presidency that he did not stump for Gore in 2000, and it probably cost him the election.

I'm not saying the same thing would happen were Trump to be impeached but not removed (as Clinton was), but I agree that it's not really genuine to say the Clinton impeachment "backfired". That's a pre-emptive strike from Republicans hoping to avoid one with Trump.
Old 04-23-19, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post

If thatís what a backfire looks like then Iíll take it.
But would the Republicans have won if Clinton was going for his second term? That's the difference. Also the country was a lot less divided down party lines then.
Old 04-23-19, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Does anyone else think Cohen was right when he said that Trump wasn't going to leave office the easy way? This fucking guy thinks of himself as a king and as everyone has seen with all the obstruction he's done and keeps doing, he doesn't care what anyone thinks because he is getting away with all of it. The Democrats need to impeach now.
I'm not concerned at all about Trump leaving. If he loses the election and refuses to vacate the WH on Inauguration Day, the secret service will forcibly remove him. That will be fun to watch.
Old 04-23-19, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I keep saying this, and people keep ignoring this point, but it's not even about "removal", but as a check on egregious shit like this...

"but let's not impeach"

It's about the now, not what might happen down the line.
Old 04-23-19, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So Trump winning reelection should not be a concern?
Old 04-23-19, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
So Trump winning reelection should not be a concern?
How is that a concern? Why should him winning reelection be easier for him after being impeached?
Again, show your math.
Old 04-23-19, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Trump should not be given a pass, and Democrats should not abdicate their duty to enforce the laws & regulations, simply out of fear that it could in some way help re-elect Trump.
Old 04-23-19, 10:34 AM

I don't want to risk winning a battle but losing the war.
Old 04-23-19, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
I don't want to risk winning a battle but losing the war.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.