Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Old 04-22-19, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Great. I'm not surprised that people who would use the n-word would vote for Trump.
I'm utterly shocked.
Old 04-22-19, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great. I'm not surprised that people who would use the n-word would vote for Trump.
You, I, and others here freely post dismissive, derogatory and downright vulgar comments about various politicians on a daily basis.
We "vote".

These IW targets were radicalized.

That's why 65% of us have been rendered slack jawed when we see the blatant disconnect there, and why we've expressed the notion that Trump supporters behave like they are in a cult.

But just keep thinking this is all about Facebook memes. I'm sure that firm belief is serving someone's purpose.
Old 04-22-19, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kmical View Post
Uh ... yes?

While I do not have 100% faith in the abilities/intent of our intelligence agencies, I certainly believe that they are doing a better job of looking out for the interests of the United States than Vladimir Putin and the Russian intelligence services.
I didn't say or imply that Putin and Russian intelligence services are looking out for US interests.

Since you don't have 100% faith in the abilities/intent of IA, when do you decide that you DO trust them? Is there a source of information that you go to when you are unsure of when to trust the IA?

I'm not saying that Russia didn't try to influence the 2016 election. I DO question what the impact was. (not that any influence is acceptable... but lets deal with the reality, not the propaganda)

When the agencies that lied about Hussein committing atrocities in Kuwait to get us into the 1st gulf war and then lied about Hussein having WMDs to get us into the 2nd gulf war, start beating the drum of Russia's massive information warfare, I think it is reasonable to question the veracity of their statements.
Old 04-22-19, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Those people STILL chose to vote for Trump.

If we're trying to say that Trump didn't get that many votes and the Russians manipulated our voting totals to get Trump the win, that's a completely different conversation and much more serious.

I live in a state that elected Jesse Ventura governor. I've seen what stupid people who vote can do.
Where do 'stupid people' get their ideas? How are those ideas influenced and enforced, if they're so empirically wrong?

Yes, people chose to pull the lever for Donald, but it's no stretch to say they were manipulated intentionally, nor is it a stretch to think that if people weren't force-fed a bunch of BS daily, some of them might act differently.
Old 04-22-19, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
Where do 'stupid people' get their ideas? How are those ideas influenced and enforced, if they're so empirically wrong?

Yes, people chose to pull the lever for Donald, but it's no stretch to say they were manipulated intentionally, nor is it a stretch to think that if people weren't force-fed a bunch of BS daily, some of them might act differently.
If a voter saw Donald Trump say ANYTHING during the campaign and still chose to vote for him, then that's 100% on them. I don't care what outside influences there might have been. "Well, lots of people on Twitter seem to like him...but did you hear the way he talked about X (or Y, or Z)? No way I could vote for that guy.".
Old 04-22-19, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
I didn't say or imply that Putin and Russian intelligence services are looking out for US interests.

Since you don't have 100% faith in the abilities/intent of IA, when do you decide that you DO trust them? Is there a source of information that you go to when you are unsure of when to trust the IA?

I'm not saying that Russia didn't try to influence the 2016 election. I DO question what the impact was. (not that any influence is acceptable... but lets deal with the reality, not the propaganda)

When the agencies that lied about Hussein committing atrocities in Kuwait to get us into the 1st gulf war and then lied about Hussein having WMDs to get us into the 2nd gulf war, start beating the drum of Russia's massive information warfare, I think it is reasonable to question the veracity of their statements.
I try to determine the truth from available public sources - and my own common sense. Finding multiple credible sources showing Russia's interference in the affairs of other countries leads me, as a thoughtful man, to consider the likelihood that Russia would use resources to influence the US Presidential Election. Sources indicate that Putin dislikes Hilary Clinton due to her efforts to promote democracy and discourage corruption in Russia. An ignorant, easily-manipulated man like Trump would certainly be more likely to see Russia as "innocent" in her actions.

As far as a source of information, I have a lot of faith in the BBC and Reuters. They're not always right, but they are not nearly as politicized as media outlets in the US.

If I'm totally ignorant on a political subject, I come here to DVD Talk to read other opinions. I may not agree with them all, but they provide data points that I can use to come to my own conclusions.

For opinions on our current President, I simply see what DVD Polizei says ... and believe the opposite

Old 04-22-19, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow Fox News is actually challenging the RNC hacks. Trump cannot be happy.

Old 04-22-19, 05:35 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

that is a very oddly edited clip..
Old 04-22-19, 05:45 PM

. I've seen what stupid people who vote can do.
There is nothing more smug than calling everyone 'stupid' who didn't vote for the candidates you did.
Old 04-22-19, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

If a voter saw Donald Trump say ANYTHING during the campaign and still chose to vote for him, then that's 100% on them. I don't care what outside influences there might have been. "Well, lots of people on Twitter seem to like him...but did you hear the way he talked about X (or Y, or Z)? No way I could vote for that guy.".
Of course it's always 100% on the voter, (unless someone ducked into the booth and jerked the voter's arm when they were pushing the button, or if there was vote tampering) but you are taking an immutable stance out of stubbornness, I think.

Not the least of which reason for voting for Donald is the fact that 33% of voters liked what he had to say, but to dismiss the influence of gaming a person's thoughts is folly, or perhaps you've never encountered advertising, read a critical review, or listened to someone's advice.
Old 04-22-19, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kmical View Post
I try to determine the truth from available public sources - and my own common sense. Finding multiple credible sources showing Russia's interference in the affairs of other countries leads me, as a thoughtful man, to consider the likelihood that Russia would use resources to influence the US Presidential Election. Sources indicate that Putin dislikes Hilary Clinton due to her efforts to promote democracy and discourage corruption in Russia. An ignorant, easily-manipulated man like Trump would certainly be more likely to see Russia as "innocent" in her actions.

As far as a source of information, I have a lot of faith in the BBC and Reuters. They're not always right, but they are not nearly as politicized as media outlets in the US.

If I'm totally ignorant on a political subject, I come here to DVD Talk to read other opinions. I may not agree with them all, but they provide data points that I can use to come to my own conclusions.

For opinions on our current President, I simply see what DVD Polizei says ... and believe the opposite
fair enough. Thanks!
Old 04-22-19, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by coli View Post
There is nothing more smug than calling everyone 'stupid' who didn't vote for the candidates you did.
Its just deplorable.
Old 04-22-19, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by coli View Post
People in my state who voted for Jesse Ventura were stupid. I have no problems saying that.
Old 04-22-19, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You always bring this up, but you leave off the parts where Russia was pushing "Bernie or bust" memes that got some Dems to stay home, Jill Stein memes to siphon votes from the Dems, and anti-Clinton memes that made people think twice about even showing up. It wasn't all just "pro-Trump" interference. It's easy to see how the Russians could target those 70,000 or so votes in 3 states (after Manafort gave them data) to affect the election.

I agree with you that anyone who voted for him after hearing him talk was deplorable, however.
Old 04-22-19, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

People in my state who voted for Jesse Ventura were stupid. I have no problems saying that.
I understand there is quite a few that just might agree regarding on whom has been voted into office from your state
Old 04-22-19, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
I understand there is quite a few that just might agree regarding on whom has been voted into office from your state
And they are more than welcome to say it.
Old 04-22-19, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
You always bring this up, but you leave off the parts where Russia was pushing "Bernie or bust" memes that got some Dems to stay home, Jill Stein memes to siphon votes from the Dems, and anti-Clinton memes that made people think twice about even showing up. It wasn't all just "pro-Trump" interference. It's easy to see how the Russians could target those 70,000 or so votes in 3 states (after Manafort gave them data) to affect the election.
Any Dem who didnít vote for Clinton must have been okay with a Trump Presidency. Itís just math.

I agree with you that anyone who voted for him after hearing him talk was deplorable, however.

Old 04-22-19, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Any Dem who didnít vote for Clinton must have been okay with a Trump Presidency. Itís just math.

OR they simply thought Hillary had it in the bag because there's no way someone so fucking stupid could be elected.
Old 04-22-19, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
OR they simply thought Hillary had it in the bag because there's no way someone so fucking stupid could be elected.
This...
Old 04-22-19, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I said this before. I went canvassing door-to-door of registered Democrats in Las Vegas in the weekends leading up to the election and that was, by far, the answer I got if someone told me they weren't going to vote on Nov 8th. Some didn't like Hillary and flat-out refused to give her a vote. But more really refused to acknowledge there was even a Jim Carrey-style chance that Trump could actually win.
Old 04-22-19, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There's more and more realistic talk of the House censuring trump, and I'm okay with that. But something constitutional has to be done that puts a real and permanent stain his presidency. You can't just run out the clock and "let voters decide". This isn't some budget busting tax cut where voters can decide if they agree with the policy or not. trump tried and used the levers of government to protect himself from investigations and the truth coming out.

The Mueller Report is extremely sobering for anyone that reads it. Perhaps it's too much to expect all of the public to read the Mueller Report, but people in Congress sure as hell should. What trump did in the Mueller Report can't be normalized. Thirty or forty years from now, NO ONE is going to think the Mueller investigation was a "witch hunt" and instead they're going to think we were crazy for not doing anything about it. However I'm concerned about the next 10-15 years, the next decade or so will be a nightmare if we allow trump's behavior to be normalized. But if we do something now I think we can break the fever early before things completely fall apart. I think a Censure can at least put a dark mark on Trump's presidency.

But still, this is the kind of shit we'll see more and more if they don't go for impeachment...

(for reference, that's the security clearance supervisor)

And of course...

It's not obstruction because herp-a derpidy derp derp.
Though the WH stepping in like that only strengthens the case for immediate impeachment.

One thing is certain, they need to strengthen the oversight laws. It's much too easy for the Executive Branch to thumb their nose at Congress. This whole ordeal has shown just how weak Congress is.
Old 04-23-19, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I know I'm oversimplifying it but there's a meme in there somewhere. It seems in 2016 we had a choice of violation without intent and intent without violation.

I think the Democrats will talk impeachment but I don't see how actually trying to do it would help them. If it fails, it was a fools errand that wasted time and taxpayer money. If it succeeds and gets rid of Trump, Pence goes in and could get the sympathy card from Trump supporters and any Republicans who didn't like Trump to begin with. It's only a year and half left. By the time they did anything substantial there would be so little time it wouldn't accomplish anything. I'd like to see one of the new young bucks in there. My favorite is an also-ran before the race even starts but I like the Gillibrand brand of Democrats.
Old 04-23-19, 07:01 AM

In my opinion it would be idiotic (politically) for the Democrats to try to impeach. I mean, I'm 100% sure Trump has committed impeachable offenses, but I'm also 100% sure Mitch McConnell isn't interested in my opinion...

In 2018 the Democrats won big because, in spite of GOP accusations to the contrary, the Dems focused on issues like health care, and did not spend much time talking about Trump or impeachment. The Republicans would love it if the Democrats brought out impeachment charges, because it would make all their accusations that the Democrats aren't interested in governing come true, and give them the best campaign issue they could ask for.

Last edited by wendersfan; 04-23-19 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Impeachable, not treasonous...
Old 04-23-19, 07:08 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
In my opinion it would be idiotic (politically) for the Democrats to try to impeach. I mean, I'm 100% sure Trump has committed treasonable offenses, but I'm also 100% sure Mitch McConnell isn't interested in my opinion...

In 2018 the Democrats won big because, in spite of GOP accusations to the contrary, the Dems focused on issues like health care, and did not spend much time talking about Trump or impeachment. The Republicans would love it if the Democrats brought out impeachment charges, because it would make all their accusations that the Democrats aren't interested in governing come true, and give them the best campaign issue they could ask for.
It's funny how it's always the Dems who are backed into a corner and can't stand up for principles. Same thing happened in the Iraq War vote. They were bullied into a corner and folded up like a bunch of cheap suits. Now politically I don't know if I disagree with your point, but politics is a sad state of affairs these days.

I guess my point is, maybe it should be about something more than just winning the next election...once in a while.
Old 04-23-19, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

11 tweets so far this morning, including this gem:

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.