Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Old 04-08-19, 03:57 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Mr. Alles, a retired Marine major general who goes by Tex and was the first person from outside the Secret Service to head the agency in more than a century, received instructions 10 days ago to come up with an exit plan and was expected to leave on his own timeline, according to officials familiar with the discussions. The president had soured on Mr. Alles a while ago, even making fun of his looks, calling him Dumbo because of his ears, two officials said.
Now that's just flat out mean.
Old 04-08-19, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

Nope,

its TD because we expect a candidate for POTUS or POTUS (any POTUS) to be held to the highest standard.

And he knows this. It’s why he tries to hide shit. Legal or not.
Clearly "we" is not all-inclusive (or Trump wouldn't have been elected in the first place) and this idea of "highest standard" is so nebulous as to be meaningless.

Collectively, "we" don't, and really never have in recent history, held POTUS up to the highest standard. If that were true, then neither Reagan, Clinton, nor George W would've been re-elected. Any appearance of holding anyone to the highest standard was really just partisanship in disguise.

His doing things that are legal are NOT the things to hammer him on, IMO.
Old 04-08-19, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This fucking moron...

LOL, yeah, try saying that to a judge, I dare you!

BTW, this is a president telling a federal employee to defy a judge's orders and lie.

Last edited by slop101; 04-08-19 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-08-19, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yikes! Why do they not assume it would automatically install malware? I'd be surprised if it didn't do that!
Either way, they must have gotten a ton of dirt on trump...

But the reporting so far on this story has really annoyed me so far. Reporters and journalist have been treating this like an "almost" situation like this was the first attempt. Why hasn't a single journalist or columnist stated the obvious that this could simply be the first attempt that we CAUGHT. Trump has been going to Mara Lago his entire presidency for 2 years with lax security. Do we really think the Chinese (or any other government) just now decided to infiltrate that place? That place is probably already infested with maleware and listening devices from a whole host of foreign governments and agencies. If I were to guess, this Chinese person that was caught probably isn't affiliated with the actual Chinese government, I think it's more likely she was affiliated with a big Chinese corporation that was looking to seek influence and information on the Trump family. Hence, such a poor cover story and almost non-existent English speaking ability. I'm sure the Chinese government (or any government) would get someone who could speak English and have a better cover story for such a sensitive mission.
Old 04-08-19, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
This fucking moron...

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1115347667201212416

LOL, yeah, try saying that to a judge, I dare you!

BTW, this is a president telling a federal employee to defy a judge's orders and lie.

The initial date of all this is significant.
Old 04-08-19, 05:37 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Oh that's good news then. Apparently Secret Service can only get invovled in things at Mar A Lago after danger is detected.
Old 04-08-19, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yikes! Why do they not assume it would automatically install malware? I'd be surprised if it didn't do that!
Maybe because he thought the machine has the proper security policies in place so that it wouldn't auto-launch.
Sounds like the IT department fucked up by either not deploying the proper policies, or not having a compliance reporting system in place to detect machines whose security standards were sub-par. My firm has this shit locked down - how the fuck does the secret service not?
Old 04-08-19, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BDB View Post
Now that's just flat out mean.
Of the infinite things he doesn't grasp, one is how rich it is for him - he of the hilarious rectum-resembling mouth, white-over-tangerine facial colour scheme, and squirrel's-nest coif - to mock some else's appearance or ridicule another's gesticulating, when he can't flatulate a single incoherent sentence without the demonstrative arm movements and hand signals of a symphony maestro.
Old 04-08-19, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Of the infinite things he doesn't grasp, one is how rich it is for him - he of the hilarious rectum-resembling mouth, white-over-tangerine facial colour scheme, and squirrel's-nest coif
you forgot ...

Old 04-08-19, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I will say this one thing for Trump : He is really good at changing the National conversation when he doesn't like where it's headed. As soon as people began to question Barr's summary of the Mueller report, he started stirring up crazy shit with the border and suddenly everyone is distracted and moves on.
I mean, it’s not a distraction when it’s also a huge deal they should end a Presidency. And Trump does that every week.
Old 04-08-19, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Clearly "we" is not all-inclusive (or Trump wouldn't have been elected in the first place) and this idea of "highest standard" is so nebulous as to be meaningless.

Collectively, "we" don't, and really never have in recent history, held POTUS up to the highest standard. If that were true, then neither Reagan, Clinton, nor George W would've been re-elected. Any appearance of holding anyone to the highest standard was really just partisanship in disguise.

His doing things that are legal are NOT the things to hammer him on, IMO.
We have plenty of capacity to hammer him on illigal things, as well as things he shouldn’t be doing as POTUS.
Old 04-08-19, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Pretty much.

Old 04-09-19, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
you forgot ...
Spoiler:
Hnh, I've never noticed his vaginal goiter. With that, and the butthole that is his mouth, I reckon his chin is his facial gooch.
Old 04-09-19, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Give him a chance. He's evolving.

Next week?

Old 04-09-19, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
The plaque at the base of the Statue of Liberty reads: “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore,” she wrote. “Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

Of all the things for the GOP to totally cave too, I didn’t think law would be one of them.
Old 04-09-19, 10:14 AM
Admin-Thanos

It’s ironic that Trump says, “America’s Full,” but his Homeland Security Secretary has to resign over adding additional work visas for non Americans. Why? Businesspeople asked her to because they couldn’t fill jobs with American citizens. Maybe they are paying slave wages, but I would think a legit VISA, you would need to make a legit wage. This is businesses saying we need more people.
Old 04-09-19, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Jeeze, Barr's kind of a dick, isn't he?

Politics aside, is there anyone tied to this administration who's NOT an asshole?

And fuck him and his "letter"!

Just listening to a few minutes of this Barr testimony makes me want to throw up. This guy doesn't give two fucks about right from wrong or transparency. He is drunk with power and will never release anything that would damage his boss which in turn would cause him lose his power.

Whichever democrat wins in 2020 I just hope we can return to normal after this trump run. Hopefully the Attorney General under the next President will not act like the president's personal attorney and their cabinet members will actually be knowledgeable in their field and not just some dumb as fuck rich privileged asshole who stroked the ego of the President.
Old 04-09-19, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1115617150163615746

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/stat...25259405803520

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1115625723782488065

Politics aside, is there anyone tied to this administration who's NOT an asshole?

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/sta...26698702295041

Just listening to a few minutes of this Barr testimony makes me want to throw up. This guy doesn't give two fucks about right from wrong or transparency. He is drunk with power and will never release anything that would damage his boss which in turn would cause him lose his power.

Whichever democrat wins in 2020 I just hope we can return to normal after this trump run. Hopefully the Attorney General under the next President will not act like the president's personal attorney and their cabinet members will actually be knowledgeable in their field and not just some dumb as fuck rich privileged asshole who stroked the ego of the President.
100% agree.

Its like “they” feel they won by being total dicks.
Old 04-09-19, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

100% agree.

Its like “they” feel they won by being total dicks.
I mean...didn't they? It certainly wasn't their policies, experience or education.
Old 04-09-19, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

All of those qualities are non-existent in this admin.
Old 04-09-19, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The thing I'm most worried about is when the Dems tip the balance of power in their favor, the MAGA crowd will manufacture a scenario that they were overthrown by an unjust coup. We already know how these snowflakes react to losing power. Shudder to see how they react when they lose even more.
Old 04-09-19, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Maybe because he thought the machine has the proper security policies in place so that it wouldn't auto-launch.
Sounds like the IT department fucked up by either not deploying the proper policies, or not having a compliance reporting system in place to detect machines whose security standards were sub-par. My firm has this shit locked down - how the fuck does the secret service not?
Yay, something I can chime in on. I work on this stuff day in and day out.

Autorun was disabled years ago after the mass spread of the conficker worm. There are a couple of known examples that still work.

For one, you have a usb drive hardware modded to install as a keyboard. It then executes keyboard commands like it is a keyboard.

For another, it is more social engineering. How a lot of these worms still spread. You have an icon that looks like a shortcut or something else that someone wants to click on, that looks like a folder.

Years ago there was an exploit for the icon files itself - simply viewing the malware's icon would comp your machine. MS patched it, but that gives you an idea of what could be done.

Mostly, it's just the simple trick that a lot of folks fall for. A lot of malware is sent out as, say, pdf.exe, with a pdf icon, or just an .exe with the pdf icon. Since most people have file extensions disabled, they fall for it. Or an .exe or javascript or whatever, with a folder icon or a music icon, etc.

Red teams and pentesters still do usb drops to get in all the time.

A nation-state attack (although this seems sloppy for one) could use any number of unknown exploits.

I wouldn't physically attach an unknown flash drive to anything with networking. Maybe with application whitelisting in place. But anything APT/Nation state-ish (advanced persistant threat - security speak for scary large actors) you should treat with a wide birth.

At one point I had a machine comped by some old APT malware, just from copying some nation state malware around from one share to another. And I know I didn't execute it because I had the application whitelisting logs to prove I didn't accidentally double click anything. None of us were quite sure how it managed to comp me. *shrug* Didn't matter, because we had the appropriate detections/signatures in place, but still, I had to reformat my laptop again. And this was stuff from a kinda B-team level APT group. Not even A-team level stuff.

I assume it would be basic training for any homeland security type folks not to plug in a USB drive under any circumstances. A professional should examine it with an air-gapped or carefully isolated/virtualized/firewalled etc forensics system.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 04-09-19 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-09-19, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Yay, something I can chime in on. I work on this stuff day in and day out.

Autorun was disabled years ago after the mass spread of the conficker worm. There are a couple of known examples that still work.

For one, you have a usb drive hardware modded to install as a keyboard. It then executes keyboard commands like it is a keyboard.

For another, it is more social engineering. How a lot of these worms still spread. You have an icon that looks like a shortcut or something else that someone wants to click on, that looks like a folder.

Years ago there was an exploit for the icon files itself - simply viewing the malware's icon would comp your machine. MS patched it, but that gives you an idea of what could be done.

Mostly, it's just the simple trick that a lot of folks fall for. A lot of malware is sent out as, say, pdf.exe, with a pdf icon, or just an .exe with the pdf icon. Since most people have file extensions disabled, they fall for it. Or an .exe or javascript or whatever, with a folder icon or a music icon, etc.

Red teams and pentesters still do usb drops to get in all the time.

A nation-state attack (although this seems sloppy for one) could use any number of unknown exploits.

I wouldn't physically attach an unknown flash drive to anything with networking. Maybe with application whitelisting in place. But anything APT/Nation state-ish (advanced persistant threat - security speak for scary large actors) you should treat with a wide birth.

At one point I had a machine comped by some old APT malware, just from copying some nation state malware around from one share to another. And I know I didn't execute it because I had the application whitelisting logs to prove I didn't accidentally double click anything. None of us were quite sure how it managed to comp me. *shrug* Didn't matter, because we had the appropriate detections/signatures in place, but still, I had to reformat my laptop again. And this was stuff from a kinda B-team level APT group. Not even A-team level stuff.

I assume it would be basic training for any homeland security type folks not to plug in a USB drive under any circumstances. A professional should examine it with an air-gapped or carefully isolated/virtualized/firewalled etc forensics system.
They later clarified that they had put the tumb-drive into an air-gap PC not connected to the internet or any network, specifically designed to study the malware. What was surprising to me was them saying they've never seen such a thing before. I assumed it was common malware practice.

Old 04-09-19, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1115617150163615746

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/stat...25259405803520

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1115625723782488065

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/sta...26698702295041

Hmm... it might not be a good idea to return to the pre-Trump "normal".

Imagine a Democratic president who uses these expanded powers for "good". Consider all of the things that Trump was able to do that his predecessors didn't... not because they were illegal but because of a "gentleman's agreement" to do things a certain way.

Without new laws and/or Constitutional amendments, there is nothing stopping a future Republican president from doing what Trump is doing now. Having a Democratic president go back to those artificially constrained limitations is not going to help prevent those things in the future.

How many weeks has it been since Trump declared that national "emergency"? Nothing has happened to overturn it and so Trump moves forward unless the courts decide.

But what it SHOULD mean is that we have to be more careful about who we elect to be president, because the checks-and-balances that we supposedly have aren't so firm.

Last edited by sracer; 04-09-19 at 11:47 AM. Reason: changed second "imagine" to "consider"
Old 04-09-19, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Trump just told a reporter (while his arms are folded, pissed off) "It's a great honor to be with your president."

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.