Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Old 03-28-19, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
So the WH had no healthcare plan that would pass both House and Senate when controlled by the Republicans. But NOW they have one that can pass the Republican controlled Senate and Democratic controlled House?

Yea, good luck with that.
It's almost as if, now that Mueller's investigation has come to an end, Trump can return to his effort to make sure he doesn't win re-election.
Old 03-28-19, 07:34 AM
Admin-Thanos

BTW, was exactly is a failure of the ACA? Not what parts do some disagree with, but what specifically makes it a failure?
I guess if I were to bring up points that chafe Conservatives, I would say one point is the fact that the government is mandating that people do something. I think they feel that people should be free to do whatever they want, but they should accept the consequences of their actions by not getting healthcare. As far as the pre-existing conditions, that hurts big business by having to cover people who will be a loss to their business. Heartless, but cold and calculating free market capitalism which conservatives love like life itself. I believe they can't stand the idea of the government subsidizing some of the ACA to help people who are of low means, either in direct subsidies, or expanding Medicaid for the poor. The solution for poor people is to get rich in conservatives' eyes and if you're not getting rich, it's YOUR fault and you should suck up the consequences of your poorness. Again, heartless, but true free market at play.
Old 03-28-19, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I guess if I were to bring up points that chafe Conservatives, I would say one point is the fact that the government is mandating that people do something. I think they feel that people should be free to do whatever they want, but they should accept the consequences of their actions by not getting healthcare. As far as the pre-existing conditions, that hurts big business by having to cover people who will be a loss to their business. Heartless, but cold and calculating free market capitalism which conservatives love like life itself. I believe they can't stand the idea of the government subsidizing some of the ACA to help people who are of low means, either in direct subsidies, or expanding Medicaid for the poor. The solution for poor people is to get rich in conservatives' eyes and if you're not getting rich, it's YOUR fault and you should suck up the consequences of your poorness. Again, heartless, but true free market at play.
As Iíve mentioned, I also opposed the mandate when it came out. But it worked! And the penalty is so small itís clearly not ďforcingĒ anyone to do anything. Itís like suggesting a ticket for jay-walking forces people to go to the corner.

To ur point, I agree with why some disagree with those notions. But IMO those things donít make it failure. The ACA did the most important thing very well. It got more people insured.

It is ironic the ACA is so violently hated by the GOP. Itís ďessentiallyĒ their plan. Obama swioped and (and made changes), but itís framework is the GOP plan. Itís why they donít have a plan.

Their smart move would be to say that. That Obama stole our plan and distorted it. And this is how we are going to fix. But no...they are so ant-Obama they wonít.
Old 03-28-19, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
The problem is they should have been honest up front and admitted that the ACA would be a tax on all people who had insurance to pay for the millions of uncovered who would buy in coverage on the Obama Exchange. When they created Social Security, we got the FICA tax. When they created Medicare, we got a Medicare tax. We can all see it in our check every week from our withholding column. When they created the ACA, they never had the guts to create an ACA tax because they knew that it would have a much harder time passing in Congress as they would have to sell that tax to the middle class. So what ended up is the Insurance Companies just passed the cost onto the people who were covered by either throwing them off their plan, offering them an inferior plan, or bumping up their deductible. Trust me, you can talk to everyone I work with and we all have worse plans than we did Pre-Obamacare along with higher deductibles. Obama should had the balls to be honest and say that the only way to cover the uninsured in this country, is that everyone is going to have to pay more out of their pockets (The middle class always pays for every social/entitlement program in the end because we are the biggest demo of taxpayers in the country).

Old 03-28-19, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Harsher words about Jussie Smollett than heís ever said about Kim Jong Un.

Last edited by Draven; 03-28-19 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-28-19, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bruh, Jusse never killed anyone. You can't expect to be respected by Trump unless you've killed a rogue reporter or two.
Old 03-28-19, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Trump calling someone else a national embarrassment.

On a related note, you guys are a bunch of lonely obese chronic masturbators!
Old 03-28-19, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/...293357056?s=21

Harsher words about Jussie Smollett than heís ever said about Kim Jong Un.
But I though Donnie said the FBI was corrupt.
Old 03-28-19, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 03-28-19, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by coli View Post
The problem is they should have been honest up front and admitted that the ACA would be a tax on all people who had insurance to pay for the millions of uncovered who would buy in coverage on the Obama Exchange. When they created Social Security, we got the FICA tax. When they created Medicare, we got a Medicare tax. We can all see it in our check every week from our withholding column. When they created the ACA, they never had the guts to create an ACA tax because they knew that it would have a much harder time passing in Congress as they would have to sell that tax to the middle class. So what ended up is the Insurance Companies just passed the cost onto the people who were covered by either throwing them off their plan, offering them an inferior plan, or bumping up their deductible. Trust me, you can talk to everyone I work with and we all have worse plans than we did Pre-Obamacare along with higher deductibles. Obama should had the balls to be honest and say that the only way to cover the uninsured in this country, is that everyone is going to have to pay more out of their pockets (The middle class always pays for every social/entitlement program in the end because we are the biggest demo of taxpayers in the country).
I wonít argue the point. There can always be better communication.

But the point was everyone already paid (and does pay) either taxes or premiums for those that donít have insurance. People with no insurance simply go to the ER where they cannot be turned away.

In addition, pooling money is the essence of insurance. All types.

Anyway, perhaps better discussed in the insurance thread.

But Iím trying to figure how even politically it can be called a failure.
Old 03-28-19, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

also,

and

Old 03-28-19, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazing that guy who looks like he can barely scale a flight of stairs was able to thoroughly digest and summarize a more than 300 page report in less than 48 hours.
Old 03-28-19, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hilarious parallel with how Barr is burying the report against trump, yet trump wants the case against Smollett to be revealed.

BTW, don't know where else to post this, but all this talk about trump, and as bad as he is, I honestly think McConnell is even worse. He may well be the most damaging politician to ever exist in the U.S., and the fact that Congress doesn’t have an override to counter the opinion of one damn person in Congress is absolutely absurd.
Old 03-28-19, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And not that this would've kept Barr from being appointed by the GOP, but it's wild that shit like this wasn't even brought up in his confirmation by the Dems...

Barr's entire career has been covering up and defending republicans from Iran Contra and other CIA scandals.
Old 03-28-19, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post

BTW, don't know where else to post this, but all this talk about trump, and as bad as he is, I honestly think McConnell is even worse. He may well be the most damaging politician to ever exist in the U.S., and the fact that Congress doesn’t have an override to counter the opinion of one damn person in Congress is absolutely absurd.
I agree. On all those points.
Old 03-28-19, 09:59 AM

I honestly think McConnell is even worse. He may well be the most damaging politician to ever exist in the U.S.
I'll admit he's unscrupulous and doesn't seem to mind destroying the legacy of Congress to serve a partisan agenda, but in the scope of things he's no John C. Calhoun.
Old 03-28-19, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This Time cover certainly sparks an intentional reaction, then you see the DOJ logo on the umbrella and you realize what they're implying and you know this is just getting started...

Old 03-28-19, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It is ironic the ACA is so violently hated by the GOP. Itís ďessentiallyĒ their plan. Obama swioped and (and made changes), but itís framework is the GOP plan. Itís why they donít have a plan.
Their smart move would be to say that. That Obama stole our plan and distorted it. And this is how we are going to fix. But no...they are so ant-Obama they wonít.
Serious question, was it really a "GOP plan" or more of an expansion of Romney's plan when he was governor? Because if it's the latter, it's not that meaningful. Yes, Romney was the GOP presidential nominee in 2012, but I've got two words about Trump vis-a-vis reverence and respect of past GOP nominees: John McCain.
Old 03-28-19, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
[/left]
Serious question, was it really a "GOP plan" or more of an expansion of Romney's plan when he was governor?
It's more the latter, and people don't seem to recognize that Romney was the Republican governor of a state with massive Democratic majorities in both chambers of its legislature. Much like ACA was the most liberal plan Obama could get through the (relatively) conservative Congress, 'Romneycare' was the most conservative plan Romney could get through the extremely liberal MA legislature.
Old 03-28-19, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This Time cover certainly sparks an intentional reaction, then you see the DOJ logo on the umbrella and you realize what they're implying and you know this is just getting started...

Thats awesome!
Old 03-28-19, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
I'll admit he's unscrupulous and doesn't seem to mind destroying the legacy of Congress to serve a partisan agenda, but in the scope of things he's no John C. Calhoun.
I was going to mildly qualify it as "...at least from the industrial revolution on", but then I figured, he ain't done yet. Still plenty of diabolical shit to be perpetrated, especially in a connected world.
Old 03-28-19, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
It's more the latter, and people don't seem to recognize that Romney was the Republican governor of a state with massive Democratic majorities in both chambers of its legislature. Much like ACA was the most liberal plan Obama could get through the (relatively) conservative Congress, 'Romneycare' was the most conservative plan Romney could get through the extremely liberal MA legislature.
Well, yes. This. The ACA used the framework of ďtheirĒ plan. From Romney.

The point being and stands, this was the ONLY real/significant plan from any GOP side that had any traction. And it morphed into the ACA. Itís why the GOP doesnít now have a plan and very likely will be unable to agree on one within their party. That (Romneyís) was most likely the best the GOP MIGHT have agreed on. But now they feel they must slam the ACA because itís Obama.

Anyone have a clue clue on what the WH will propose? Cause it really seems like the Republicans donít want to get bitch slapped with this. Again.
Old 03-28-19, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, yes. This. The ACA used the framework of ďtheirĒ plan. From Romney.

The point being and stands, this was the ONLY real/significant plan from any GOP side that had any traction. And it morphed into the ACA. Itís why the GOP doesnít now have a plan and very likely will be unable to agree on one within their party. That (Romneyís) was most likely the best the GOP MIGHT have agreed on. But now they feel they must slam the ACA because itís Obama.

Anyone have a clue clue on what the WH will propose? Cause it really seems like the Republicans donít want to get bitch slapped with this. Again.
Look to how Trump dealt with NAFTA. He's going to repeal ObamaCare and replace it with ObamaCare but call it FreedomCare.
Old 03-28-19, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I really hope they keep poking at Barr's bullshit and not let it go

I mean, it's only been a couple days, and most people are already calling bullshit on this, with their voices growing louder by the day. Though Barr certainly seems like the kind that won't ever buckle. So it would seem like it would have to somehow leak or something.
Old 03-28-19, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hilarious parallel with how Barr is burying the report against trump, yet trump wants the case against Smollett to be revealed.

BTW, don't know where else to post this, but all this talk about trump, and as bad as he is, I honestly think McConnell is even worse. He may well be the most damaging politician to ever exist in the U.S., and the fact that Congress doesnít have an override to counter the opinion of one damn person in Congress is absolutely absurd.
As if he could act the way he does without the full support of other Republican Senators? He's a turtle that's happy to have shit flung at his shell, but he's just the face of the whole corrupt party.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.