Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Old 02-28-19, 02:00 PM
  #5701  
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Posts: 19,300
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

^ they want to put him away for longer. A common point during the hearing was that he's only getting three years for the stuff he plead guilty to. They want him put away for life for his betrayal.
Dan is offline  
Old 02-28-19, 02:00 PM
  #5702  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
joeblow69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Palm Springs
Posts: 8,354
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Cohen is going to jail either way. Why the fuck does this matter?
Because anyone who goes against Dear Leader must be punished with the utmost severity.
joeblow69 is offline  
Old 02-28-19, 02:01 PM
  #5703  
DVD Talk Legend
 
sracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
Posts: 12,587
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Cohen is going to jail either way. Why the fuck does this matter?
..because it is the difference between 3 years and 20... and if he DID lie to Congress, again, then it would be reasonable to toss out all of his testimony.
sracer is online now  
Old 02-28-19, 02:09 PM
  #5704  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Nefarious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: In the Middle
Posts: 5,037
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Didn't he offer an explanation during the hearing? He said he specifically recalled Trump ripping Priebus a new one about not getting Cohen a position. Cohen went on to explain that it was after discussion with White House general counsel that it was determined it would have an effect on attorney-client privilege.

For all we know at this time, these text messages came pre-election and pre-inauguration before any serious discussions occurred. The GOP has a strong desire& incentive to paint Cohen as a known liar and a scorned person. This isn't going anywhere and it is just more diversion & obfuscation.

Cohen didn't whistleblow. He had his office, home, and other pertinent locations raided by the FBI. He worked out a deal because there was a mountain of evidence against him.

Fuck Jim Jordan and Mark Meadows both for continuing to carry water for this President. Neither deserve the offices they hold, either.
Nefarious is offline  
Old 02-28-19, 02:11 PM
  #5705  
Admin-Thanos
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
Posts: 31,225
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
..because it is the difference between 3 years and 20... and if he DID lie to Congress, again, then it would be reasonable to toss out all of his testimony.
Exactly. They are also trying to sow doubt in the public space. The more people who drift away from removing Trump from office, the better the Republican's position is. Look at wendersfan's chart of how the Republicans voted on the repeal of the National Emergency Declaration. They voted against the measure if polling showed voters in their districts were strong for Trump. All Politicians will tell you that opinion polls don't matter to them. They're all lying.
VinVega is offline  
Old 02-28-19, 02:42 PM
  #5706  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 969
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by coli View Post
No generalities? This place should be renamed 'Generalities Political Forum'' with many of you guys here!
Can you see why this post is ironic?
Mark_vdH is offline  
Old 02-28-19, 02:49 PM
  #5707  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
GreenMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 5,310
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by coli View Post
Wait, Trump flipped Obama voters? I thought everyone who voted for Trump was a fucking racist/idiot/moron/sexist/bigoted asshole as many of you here (not specifically you) constantly state. So there are some racist/idiot/moron/sexist/bigoted voters who voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012?
I've personally heard of at least one racist person who voted for Obama reluctantly, union / working class values over racism.

Not like everyone that voted for Obama is a non-racist, non-idiot, non-sexist, non-bigot.

I've cited him before, but my wife's father (I use that term reluctantly) is a narcissistic child abusing sociopath who voted Democratic his whole life. He used to talk shit about black people all the time - he was pretty racist. He always said people that used drugs like marijuana should be drug out into the street and shot.

He voted Democratic his whole life because he was a carpenter and kind of a union guy (before he retired). He LOVES Trump now, apparently (I hear this secondhand from the wife, since I refuse to talk to the toxic asshole).

Plenty of these kinds of assholes that vote or voted Democratic. I think they vote Trump now. Whether they stay in the Republican camp I guess depends on whether Trump is an aberration or the new normal.
GreenMonkey is offline  
Old 02-28-19, 03:24 PM
  #5708  
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: In mourning
Posts: 26,221
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post


I disagree. He “got a seat at the adult table” with the entire world world watching. He was able to give the perception he was a leader just like the POTUS. That they are equal.

Remember both Putin and Kim are life long leaders. Their ideas go well beyond whoever happens to be POTUS at the time. But they love that the WH teats them as any other leader on the world stage.

If this were really about negotiations, there would be zero reasons for these two to meet. You let the “grunts” do the work until there is significant progress made. Then Trump and Kim show up for the photo op.


I'll admit, I don't follow much of this post. Likely me.
Pharoh is offline  
Old 02-28-19, 03:27 PM
  #5709  
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: In mourning
Posts: 26,221
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
If anybody speaks up against Kim at home, he can always execute a few generals or family members to get people back in line.
It isn't that cut and dried. They had wants that they did not get, such as some lessening of sanctions. Though prices have stabilised there, they still need relief.
Pharoh is offline  
Old 02-28-19, 03:29 PM
  #5710  
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: In mourning
Posts: 26,221
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Regarding Cohen's testimony, my entire exposure was a mid-afternoon summary on NPR. I think there was one last session after what I heard. The thought there was the Democrats really missed an opportunity and were not coordinated in their questioning. Accuracy to this assessment?
Pharoh is offline  
Old 02-28-19, 03:33 PM
  #5711  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 42,447
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
Because anyone who goes against Dear Leader must be punished with the utmost severity.

Decker is online now  
Old 02-28-19, 03:36 PM
  #5712  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di Salò
Posts: 32,420
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
Regarding Cohen's testimony, my entire exposure was a mid-afternoon summary on NPR. I think there was one last session after what I heard. The thought there was the Democrats really missed an opportunity and were not coordinated in their questioning. Accuracy to this assessment?
I disagree. You're correct in that they weren't particularly coordinated, I just don't think there was much to gain by having him testify. He's barely credible (at best) and we didn't learn anything new, really. Someone at Five Thirty Eight, I think maybe Claire Malone, made the argument that, thanks to the Watergate tapes, the public has been conditioned to expect a 'smoking gun' that will provide conclusive proof of wrongdoing, and it's very unlikely there's going to be one with Trump.
wendersfan is offline  
Old 02-28-19, 03:42 PM
  #5713  
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: In mourning
Posts: 26,221
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
I disagree. You're correct in that they weren't particularly coordinated, I just don't think there was much to gain by having him testify. He's barely credible (at best) and we didn't learn anything new, really. Someone at Five Thirty Eight, I think maybe Claire Malone, made the argument that, thanks to the Watergate tapes, the public has been conditioned to expect a 'smoking gun' that will provide conclusive proof of wrongdoing, and it's very unlikely there's going to be one with Trump.

Thank you. About what was expected then.
Pharoh is offline  
Old 02-28-19, 03:42 PM
  #5714  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Nefarious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: In the Middle
Posts: 5,037
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
I disagree. You're correct in that they weren't particularly coordinated, I just don't think there was much to gain by having him testify. He's barely credible (at best) and we didn't learn anything new, really. Someone at Five Thirty Eight, I think maybe Claire Malone, made the argument that, thanks to the Watergate tapes, the public has been conditioned to expect a 'smoking gun' that will provide conclusive proof of wrongdoing, and it's very unlikely there's going to be one with Trump.

I've heard just the opposite. The fact that Cohen named names of people who can corroborate many of the accusations helped the Dems tremendously. The committee now has the information, on record, it needs to justifiably subpoena and force appearance by these people.

It won't work for the GOP to say he's lying about these things because these are the very acts he pled guilty to in the SDNY. AOC did a masterful job, as did several others, of pointedly asking for specific names.
Nefarious is offline  
Old 02-28-19, 03:51 PM
  #5715  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 30,713
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

I definitely think Cohen was more specific than most people have been about Trump's wrongdoings. The problem, as has been said, is that we already knew about all of his revelations. And Trump is still President, so obviously they aren't big enough to topple him.
Draven is offline  
Old 02-28-19, 03:53 PM
  #5716  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Nefarious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: In the Middle
Posts: 5,037
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Watergate took nearly 2 years to topple Nixon. While it is frustrating to see the evidence so clearly and know what the end result should be, I think the deliberate and consistent effort of constantly chipping away will have an effect. As the 2020 election approaches, if Trump remains as toxic as he was in the 2018 year, the GOP will have to distance themselves or go down with him.
Nefarious is offline  
Old 02-28-19, 04:14 PM
  #5717  
DVD Talk Legend
 
sracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
Posts: 12,587
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

I've contended that although Watergate took around 2 years, that was pre-internet, pre-social media, pre-electronic trail. It should not take that long today... especially with a president who is thumbing his nose at the law and convention in broad daylight. He committed acts of obstructing justice visible to the public since day-1. There's enough evidence for that.

Our resident expert on the Russian conspiracy expected bombs to drop at the end of the Summer of 2017. (that obviously didn't happen) Benjamin Wittes with his "tick tick" tweets has been "quiet quiet" for a long time.

There's been a lot of hype and hope placed on Mueller and his team. We don't know what Trump wrote in his written response to Mueller's questions. It is quite possible that Trump was truthful in his written answers but continues to lie to the public. Lying to the public is not a crime. But many talking heads are assuming that what he says is what he wrote and speculating based on that.

It is certainly within the realm of possibility that Mueller won't get a smoking gun beyond the smoking guns laying around in broad daylight.
sracer is online now  
Old 02-28-19, 04:16 PM
  #5718  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bremerton WA
Posts: 5,389
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

The GOP is far too deep in bed with Trump (and really they are Trump minus a few specific peculiarities) to turn on him or distance themselves much.
Nesbit is online now  
Old 02-28-19, 04:23 PM
  #5719  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 26,634
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
Regarding Cohen's testimony, my entire exposure was a mid-afternoon summary on NPR. I think there was one last session after what I heard. The thought there was the Democrats really missed an opportunity and were not coordinated in their questioning. Accuracy to this assessment?
I think the last session was the most eventful. AOC's questioning, Tlaib calling out the "prop" and Meadows taking the bait, Cumming's closing statements. But yeah as far as effect, we'll have to wait and see.
fujishig is offline  
Old 02-28-19, 04:23 PM
  #5720  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 28,112
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
I'll admit, I don't follow much of this post. Likely me.
The reason past POTUS were reluctant to meet with Kim is they wanted him to first show he was serious about doing something. Taking better care of his people, less killing, halting necklaces testing. Show some evidence of change, or there is no point meeting.

By Trump meeting him with no conditions, Kim got the show world “see I’m a leader just like POTUS”.

This is is my take, but it’s mentioned by others.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/201...ta-sot-vpx.cnn

Here the GOP (and Trump) criticize Obama for going to Cuba.

Donald Trump, Ted Cruz Slam President Obama's Cuba Trip | Time

Last edited by Sdallnct; 02-28-19 at 04:29 PM.
Sdallnct is online now  
Old 02-28-19, 04:37 PM
  #5721  
BDB
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Seattle
Posts: 20,650
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3


I love the expression contemporaneous notes!

I think we all knew that Jared didn't pass the security clearance


And this from a few weeks ago


Last edited by BDB; 02-28-19 at 04:45 PM.
BDB is offline  
Old 02-28-19, 04:45 PM
  #5722  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 11,847
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

The reason past POTUS were reluctant to meet with Kim is they wanted him to first show he was serious about doing something. Taking better care of his people, less killing, halting necklaces testing.
We can only hope to someday live in a necklace free world.

cultshock is offline  
Old 02-28-19, 04:54 PM
  #5723  
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Posts: 19,300
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

End Necklace Testing Now!
Test Animals Instead!
Dan is offline  
Old 02-28-19, 05:40 PM
  #5724  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 20,705
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Trump's Moscow mob boss buddy Felix Sater is going to be testifying publicly next month. And Cohen is coming back for more.

Ex-Trump lawyer Michael Cohen and Felix Sater will testify in separate House Intel Committee hearings in March

  • President Donald Trump's former personal lawyer Michael Cohen will testify before the House Intelligence Committee in another closed-door session on Wednesday.
  • Felix Sater, Trump's former business associate who was a partner at one of Trump's New York properties, will testify before the committee in an open session on March 14, Intelligence Chairman Adam Schiff, D-Calif., said Thursday evening.
  • The Intelligence Committee also intends to call Trump Organization Chief Financial Officer Allen Weisselberg to testify, a source with knowledge told NBC News Thursday.
cungar is offline  
Old 02-28-19, 07:41 PM
  #5725  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 30,348
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
I wonder if more is going to come out on Warmbier. I'm starting to get into Paul SD territory with the conspiracies, but I thought it was EXTREMELY odd that no autopsy was ever performed on him. I would have thought it would be ordered regardless of family wishes to determine what exactly happened to him in NK. I almost think it was like a condition of release. Like I said though, that gets into conspiracy theory territory. But with the result of the Vietnam summit, it's starting to sound more plausible.
The whole Warmbier thing is just weird.

First, I don’t know why anyone would want to visit NK. I get that they treat western tourists like royalty because they’re desperate for money, but it’s still a place where the dear leader will blow you with a rocket like Wile E. Coyote for some tiny infraction. It’s pretty much at the bottom of my list of vacation spots, right above Syria.

Second, I question whether he even stole the poster in the first place. That video looked fishy.

At any rate, that Warmbier kid sure won the shit lottery.
Josh-da-man is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.