Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Old 02-20-19, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

To those that dismiss Trump's rhetoric, today's arrest of this Coast Guard-would-be-domestic terrorist shows how dangerous it is. This Neo Nazi mother fucker had everything planned to kill people who Trump has targeted in his rants. What pisses me off even more, is that fucking CNN is more focused on the Smollet case than on the Coast Guard terrorist.

Coast Guard officer allegedly wanted to conduct a mass killing, had political and media hit list

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/20/polit...ist/index.html
Old 02-20-19, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
What pisses me off even more, is that fucking CNN is more focused on the Smollet case than on the Coast Guard terrorist.
That IS weird. I would expect that at Drudge (and that's what you see if you go there) but CNN? Un-phased about their anchors being targeted?
Old 02-20-19, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To those that dismiss Trump's rhetoric, today's arrest of this Coast Guard-would-be-domestic terrorist shows how dangerous it is. This Neo Nazi mother fucker had everything planned to kill people who Trump has targeted in his rants. What pisses me off even more, is that fucking CNN is more focused on the Smollet case than on the Coast Guard terrorist.

Coast Guard officer allegedly wanted to conduct a mass killing, had political and media hit list

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/20/polit...ist/index.html
Damn, that's pretty scary.
Old 02-20-19, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They might want CNN to not discuss the issue too much until they are certain that there is not a co-conspirator still out there. Just my guess.
Old 02-20-19, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
That IS weird. I would expect that at Drudge (and that's what you see if you go there) but CNN? Un-phased about their anchors being targeted?
Itís like the 5th story on their website. Seems to be being covered.
Old 02-20-19, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Draven View Post

Itís like the 5th story on their website. Seems to be being covered.
Should be the first. This news is crazy as hell and has about everything wrong that is going on in this country. Mental health problems, white supremacy, lack of gun control, steroids, domestic terrorism, direct answer to Trump's "enemy of the people" rhetoric, and political targets. This news can't be the norm
Old 02-20-19, 09:17 PM

This mother fucker can't stop lying

Old 02-20-19, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I find it hard to fathom that the Mueller report will not be extremely damning for Trump in terms of the amount of criminal activity he ends up being associated with such as campaign finance violations, money laundering, ethical violations, etc.

Mueller has been absolutely methodical in his steady build-up to bigger and bigger fish. I would think if we were going to end up with something that was anti-climatic we would have had way more efforts to temper expectations. There isn't just smoke here, there's a damned out of control 5 alarm fire. It seems so extremely unlikely as brazen and controlling as Trump is that he isn't up to his neck in so much devious shit.

That all being said, that doesn't mean the public reaction to will be "explosive". It reminds me of The Firm where McDeere gets the FBI the goods on the firm where they committed mail fraud, which is an unsexy, boring crime but with teeth yet the FBI guy was wanting mob and murder crimes.

I remain hopeful that public tide will change with the majority and excepting his base and DVDP which appear to be extremely divorced from reality.
Old 02-20-19, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm hoping for a Paul_SD comment!
Old 02-20-19, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Who runs CNN?

Is Wrestling fake?

hows that for starters?
Old 02-20-19, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's a little more.

On the subject of Mueller's eventual report ( which will probably be on obstruction specifically)

Old 02-20-19, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks!
Old 02-21-19, 12:00 AM

Unfortunately, we're probably not getting the Mueller report. We're getting something else from the new attorney general. Everything relating to Trump may be redacted or removed.
Old 02-21-19, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another thought on the eventual report...

As well as this, which is a worthwhile read by Neal Katyal

THREAD ON WHETHER MUELLER REPORT WILL BE PUBLIC, AND @washingtonpost STORY ABOUT TRUMP HIRING MANY NEW LAWYERS TO ASSERT EXEC PRIVILEGE.

Short Answer: It will be public.

The special counsel rules, which I drafted at DOJ 20 years ago, contemplate 2 kinds of reports. One is a report from Mueller to the AG, at the close of his investigation: “a confidential report explaining the prosecution or declination decisions reached by the Special Counsel.”

That document is to be confidential. But there is a second, separate reporting requirement, which forces the AG to notify Congress “with an explanation for each action…upon conclusion of the Special Counsel’s investigation, including a description and explanation of instances (if any) in which the AG concluded that a proposed action by a Special Counsel was so inappropriate or unwarranted under established Departmental practices that it should not be pursued.”

That report must explain why the investigation has concluded, and any instance in which the AG overruled the Special Counsel. The provision was designed to ensure “Congressional and public confidence in the integrity of the process.”

Notably, we wrote the circumstances for an AG to overrule a Special Counsel very tightly—it has to violate “established Departmental practices.”

So, to take one hypothetical example, generic DOJ opinions about whether a sitting President could be indicted do not create an “established Departmental practice” about whether an individual could be indicted for successfully cheating in a Presidential election.

There is no DOJ established practice that says if a Presidential candidate cheats enough and wins the Presidency, that he gets a get-out-of-jail-free card.

There is one other important aspect to the regulations. If a Special Counsel is worried that the AG may cover something up, the regs give him an important weapon.

Because they require a mandatory report to Congress about any instance of the AG overruling a Special Counsel, they put the thumb on the scale of a Special Counsel telling the AG he will take a sensitive act and waiting for AG to say no. That triggers the reporting requirement.

It is a safeguard to prevent a cover-up, it creates a mandatory report to a separate and coequal branch of govt. So that is why I believe Mueller has a move left to play if Whitaker or Barr (if confirmed) try to stymie him and his full report.

Now the President can try to claim executive privilege. Nixon tried that, it didn’t turn out so well. He got crushed in the Supreme Court. Trump’s claim appears even weaker—much wont even concern presidential deliberations&the part that might (Comey) has been waived by Trump.

And here, there is another problem: Trump’s legal team has been saying they don’t think a sitting President can be indicted.

Leaving aside the point above in (6) and (7), the only way that claim makes any sense is if the President must be impeached first. Every real scholar who says a sitting President can’t be indicted couples that with a view that impeachment is the remedy.

So if the President asserts the view he can’t be indicted, he has to allow the turnover of all investigative material to Congress. Otherwise he would be no different than King George III, literally above the law.

This point is fleshed out in my NYT op-ed below. The key point is that even if you think Trump won't be indicted, his legal claims about his immunity from indictment set up&invite the launch of impeachment investigation+eviscerate his exec priv claims.

Bottom line: the President can try to hide the Mueller Report. He will lose to the public’s right to know.

one last thought to close out on

Old 02-21-19, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I really hope the House does a resolution to halt the NE. Regardless of outcome, I think it would finally hold members accountable. If the House passes it, mt understanding is the Senate would be required to take it up. And only a simple majority needed to send to Trump. Then if he vetoed, it would be tough to get enough to override. But if they do, it would be a great message. But even if they don’t, I think it serves a purpose.
Old 02-21-19, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
I really hope the House does a resolution to halt the NE. Regardless of outcome, I think it would finally hold members accountable. If the House passes it, mt understanding is the Senate would be required to take it up. And only a simple majority needed to send to Trump. Then if he vetoed, it would be tough to get enough to override. But if they do, it would be a great message. But even if they donít, I think it serves a purpose.

Would it be beneficial for the courts to weigh in with their decisions on the lawsuits that were filed first? If the courts uphold the constitutionality of the NE declaration, then that sets the precedent. The House then has the right to respond with the resolution.

If the courts deny it, then that defines some limits on what can be declared a NE.

To proceed with the resolution now would be to imply that the reasons for NE declaration are legit.
Old 02-21-19, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

On the worldwide decriminalization of homosexuality:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-not...225415901.html

There's the answer. Trump heard about it for the first time yesterday, from reporters.
Old 02-21-19, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GoVegan View Post
On the worldwide decriminalization of homosexuality:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-not...225415901.html

There's the answer. Trump heard about it for the first time yesterday, from reporters.
So? We canít criticize Trump by claiming everyone around him is a piece of shit and/or criminal and then ignore the fact that he employs someone who believes people shouldnít be executed for being gay. I mean, if Trump really didnít care about gay people, how could he possibly hire someone who doesnít think they should be beaten to death or beheaded?
Old 02-21-19, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post

So? We canít criticize Trump by claiming everyone around him is a piece of shit and/or criminal and then ignore the fact that he employs someone who believes people shouldnít be executed for being gay. I mean, if Trump really didnít care about gay people, how could he possibly hire someone who doesnít think they should be beaten to death or beheaded?
I agree with you on the sentiment. But letís see what happens now that he does know about it. Will it continue to move forward? Will the ambassador be fired? Will the US put the same pressure on our allies as Iran? This will likely not sit well with his base. Itís also not consistent with this administrations actions on LBGTQ rights.

But if it continues to move forward...I have zero issues applauding the administration for doing it.
Old 02-21-19, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sracer View Post

Would it be beneficial for the courts to weigh in with their decisions on the lawsuits that were filed first? If the courts uphold the constitutionality of the NE declaration, then that sets the precedent. The House then has the right to respond with the resolution.

If the courts deny it, then that defines some limits on what can be declared a NE.

To proceed with the resolution now would be to imply that the reasons for NE declaration are legit.
I see what your saying, but I think a chicken or the egg thing. I donít think it harms court cases by moving forward with a resolution. It can be claimed they moved forward with a resolution because it was an illigal NE and they wanted to stop it ASAP.

Now on I think they have the votes to get the resolution to Trump. I donít think they could get the votes to override his veto. But maybe.
Old 02-21-19, 09:42 AM

This motherfucker continues to lie about the wall.
Old 02-21-19, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

C'mon Cheeto, what about 20G? Way better than 5G of 6G. Think higher.
Old 02-21-19, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah skip 5G and go straight to 6G!

It will be 1 faster.
Old 02-21-19, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Should be the first. This news is crazy as hell and has about everything wrong that is going on in this country. Mental health problems, white supremacy, lack of gun control, steroids, domestic terrorism, direct answer to Trump's "enemy of the people" rhetoric, and political targets. This news can't be the norm
The morning anchors were talking about it a few hours ago, and some CNN anchors were on that hitlist. That was probably why they didn't call out the story too much. I'm guessing in case others may be involved with his plot.
Old 02-21-19, 10:55 AM

What is Trump going to do when somebody introduces 7g?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.