Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Old 02-20-19, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

I truly believe that even with mountains of evidence, the Mueller report will amount to nothing happening to Trump in the end.

Trump has truly hypnotized his base where anything said that he doesn't agree with is "fake" and they only believe him. And you have Republicans who have pushed all their chips in on Trump so many times and they will never back down and actually vote against anything having to do with Trump.

The only way to get him out of office is for him to be voted out in 2020 (and with who the Dems are putting forth right now, it seems that they may not have the right person to beat him). Even if they have proof of crimes he has committed, he is going to somehow skirt jail. It is the most depressing thing I have ever witnessed but all of this feels like a lost cause. He has proven that if you have a large enough group of people in power behind you, you can deny anything and nothing will happen to you.

I sincerely hope I am wrong. Watching all the Republicans carry water for this fool is the most embarrassing thing I have ever seen. I would have never predicted it would be this bad, no matter how much the Republicans wanted power.
Old 02-20-19, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
I truly believe that even with mountains of evidence, the Mueller report will amount to nothing happening to Trump in the end.

Trump has truly hypnotized his base where anything said that he doesn't agree with is "fake" and they only believe him. And you have Republicans who have pushed all their chips in on Trump so many times and they will never back down and actually vote against anything having to do with Trump.

The only way to get him out of office is for him to be voted out in 2020 (and with who the Dems are putting forth right now, it seems that they may not have the right person to beat him). Even if they have proof of crimes he has committed, he is going to somehow skirt jail. It is the most depressing thing I have ever witnessed but all of this feels like a lost cause. He has proven that if you have a large enough group of people in power behind you, you can deny anything and nothing will happen to you.

I sincerely hope I am wrong. Watching all the Republicans carry water for this fool is the most embarrassing thing I have ever seen. I would have never predicted it would be this bad, no matter how much the Republicans wanted power.

Just remember, for every Bernie Madoff, there are 1000's who don't get caught, and if they get caught, don't do any time.

Sometimes someone is just "too big to jail". Trump is one of them.
Old 02-20-19, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Or we may be witnesses to a lot of firsts that's about to happen to the Presidency beginning next week.
Old 02-20-19, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sracer View Post

Just remember, for every Bernie Madoff, there are 1000's who don't get caught, and if they get caught, don't do any time.

Sometimes someone is just "too big to jail". Trump is one of them.
Madoff got caught because most of the people he ripped off were rich.
Old 02-20-19, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Or we may be witnesses to a lot of firsts that's about to happen to the Presidency beginning next week.
We'll see. I'm expecting it'll be anticlimactic, but I won't be disappointed if I'm wrong.

I'm expecting the talking heads to be saying "They're still talking about that adoption meeting? This is a disgraceful coup attempt!"
Old 02-20-19, 02:32 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
IMO, there are two parts:
1. Getting the truth out, and I trust that Mueller will do that. We need to know what happened, even if it's nothing or it's not Trump but only his helpers.
2. Doing something about it.

I think #1 is important, especially if it's done before Trump leaves office. I would like #2, but like you, I doubt it will happen. Maybe that will cause his getting voted out in 2020, and that's OK.
Old 02-20-19, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been telling the people around me, this for years. Especially my Father. I told him, and others, no matter what Mueller comes up with, Trump will get away with it. It's truly horrifying.
It boggles my mind that all the Trump supporters believe everything he says, despite being flat out lies. The fact that so many hardcore Americans don't blink an eye when it comes to him being pals with the worlds biggest dictators, and tell these same American people that he takes Putin's word over his own circle.

A former FBI acting director has alleged Donald Trump dismissed advice from his own security agencies on the threat posed by North Korea’s missiles, saying “I don’t care. I believe Putin.”
Old 02-20-19, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've also been saying all along that this will not take Trump down. It is physically impossible for enough people in charge to decide that Trump has to go. No matter what the evidence says. He'll blow the news cycle up with something the next day (or hour) anyway.

I got a lot of "Eeyore" shit for it too.
Old 02-20-19, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well hopefully if the Mueller report is anti-climatic and doesn't cause Trump to be whisked away in handcuffs, that he gets voted out in 2020 and SDNY has a few sealed indictments awaiting him that makes up for things...a girl can hope.
Old 02-20-19, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I’m still holding out hope that the report finds some “money trail” that cannot be ignored. Campaign finance, hush money, money borrowed from Russia, something, that simply can’t be ignored.

I use to have ave zero expectations of the collusion and obstruction of justice “charges”. Now I give it a small chance (of action being taken).
Old 02-20-19, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I doubt that with the amount of corruption and ineptitude surrounding Trump and the fact that Mueller's investigation has already caught at least 4-6 persons of interest with crimes that have landed or will land them in jail, I doubt that Trump wont get dragged along with this. I imagine Trump Jr will also get indicted. This shit is unprecedented and for the good of the nation something has to happen to Trump or people will protest.

Old 02-20-19, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, that just goes to show how corrupt the Justice Department is.

/s
Old 02-20-19, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I've also been saying all along that this will not take Trump down. It is physically impossible for enough people in charge to decide that Trump has to go. No matter what the evidence says. He'll blow the news cycle up with something the next day (or hour) anyway.

I got a lot of "Eeyore" shit for it too.
Most of the Eeyore shit is for you saying he'll be re-elected. Hopefully the coming revelations will reduce that from highly unlikely to impossible.
Old 02-20-19, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Most of the Eeyore shit is for you saying he'll be re-elected. Hopefully the coming revelations will reduce that from highly unlikely to impossible.
I'm saying he'll be reelected partly because the Russia stuff won't touch him. I've said all along that if anything, I think Trump is just guilty of being a rich guy who does dumb rich guy stuff and decided to run for President which opened him up to more scrutiny. He's too stupid and too vain to work directly with Russia for help. If anything, they just chose to support him and he reaped the benefits.

So no matter what the report says, he'll brush it off as "fake news" and all of his sycophants and Republican protectors will circle the wagons and it will end right there. He's not getting impeached. He's not getting arrested. That simply doesn't happen to people at his level. And since this will be ancient history by 2020, as long as the economy and job situation is still good, Trump will be reelected.

Last edited by Draven; 02-20-19 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-20-19, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One thing is for certain. Trump is proof that you don't have to have a lick of political experience to run be President of the United States and win.
Old 02-20-19, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm saying he'll be reelected partly because the Russia stuff won't touch him. I've said all along that if anything, I think Trump is just guilty of being a rich guy who does dumb rich guy stuff and decided to run for President which opened him up to more scrutiny. He's too stupid and too vain to work directly with Russia for help. If anything, they just chose to support him and he reaped the benefits.

So no matter what the report says, he'll brush it off as "fake news" and all of his sycophants and Republican protectors will circle the wagon and it will end right there. He's not getting impeached. He's not getting arrested. That simply doesn't happen to people at his level. And since this will be ancient history by 2020, as long as the economy and job situation is still good, Trump will be reelected.
You're leaving out way too many other variables and making predictions that everything's going to go his way. The 2018 election is just one indication things don't always go his way.
Old 02-20-19, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So no matter what the report says, he'll brush it off as "fake news" and all of his sycophants and Republican protectors will circle the wagon and it will end right there. He's not getting impeached. He's not getting arrested. That simply doesn't happen to people at his level. And since this will be ancient history by 2020, as long as the economy and job situation is still good, Trump will be reelected.
I'm with Eeyore, still.

His approval rating is still like 90% with Republicans. They are totally blind to the idea he could do anything wrong. They love his "fuck the libs" and anti-brown-people attitudes.

He could totally still win this by flipping a rust belt state or two. Rust belt still likes his anti-free-trade policy and ridiculous "I'll bring back the manufacturing jobs" promises.

Old 02-20-19, 04:19 PM

I think it's very much a possibility that he will get re-elected, but it's not a slam dunk in either direction.
Old 02-20-19, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
By the way, thanks to the new Trump tax laws, where he basically eliminates the exemptions, I got royally fucked on my taxes this year. Thanks lil Donnie
Even though I am a commissioned sales rep, my employer has a plan. (I forget the name of it), where we send in our receipts on a weekly basis and we take our deductions weekly through our payroll. Two drawbacks; one is that it lowers your income on your w-2. So at the end of the year if you made 50K and had 10K in expenses, your w-2 shows 40K. It will have an effect when you go to get a loan. The other is, since you are taking the deduction every week, your refund if any is smaller at the end of the year. But my accountant has always been vigilant and downright militant about stressing the importance of have a small refund. He said if we owe or get refunded <$100, he did his job. He gets mad when people want to give the government a free loan. There are other ways of payroll deduction into savings that earn interest. No reason to give them a freebie.
Old 02-20-19, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
I'm with Eeyore, still.

His approval rating is still like 90% with Republicans. They are totally blind to the idea he could do anything wrong. They love his "fuck the libs" and anti-brown-people attitudes.

He could totally still win this by flipping a rust belt state or two. Rust belt still likes his anti-free-trade policy and ridiculous "I'll bring back the manufacturing jobs" promises.
Even more telling than the 90% approval among Republicans is his overall approval that is rising up to 40% (after dropping during the shutdown).

Gallup Poll has him at 44%

Absent a catastrophe that is directly attributed to Trump, it's his re-election to lose.
Old 02-20-19, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Not to mention the fact that Dems won’t unite behind any candidate who has less than Obama-level fire.
Old 02-20-19, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I doubt that with the amount of corruption and ineptitude surrounding Trump and the fact that Mueller's investigation has already caught at least 4-6 persons of interest with crimes that have landed or will land them in jail, I doubt that Trump wont get dragged along with this. I imagine Trump Jr will also get indicted. This shit is unprecedented and for the good of the nation something has to happen to Trump or people will protest.

Old 02-20-19, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do things like the "Fast and Furious" investigations count?
Old 02-20-19, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Do things like the "Fast and Furious" investigations count?
I would think so.....In fact it seems like a good timeline as the facts of this case seemed to come out over a 4 year investigative life (plus two more years for the convictions of non-government officials involved.

CNN - F N F timeline
Old 02-20-19, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can't never have enough smog and climate change!

Talks between Trump administration and California over fuel-economy standards break down

California officials blamed the Trump administration, saying its efforts to reach a compromise were less than genuine.

“It would be fair to say the negotiations never really began in the first place,” said California Air Resources Board spokesman Stanley Young. “We had several meetings but nothing that was meaningful was discussed.”

Officials at the EPA did not respond to a request for comment Wednesday.
L.A.Times link

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.