Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Old 02-15-19, 07:51 AM
  #5051  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Maumee, OH, USA
Posts: 3,207
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

I can't find it now, but saw a great tweet saying "a national emergency should not be able to declare a national emergency".
bralph is offline  
Old 02-15-19, 09:11 AM
  #5052  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by coli View Post
Just be consistent and let me know if you disagree with previous Presidents who all had numerous 'National Emergencies' that they called for (All of these listed in the link are STILL in effect). In fact, I don't really remember the media (or you guys here) making a big deal out of most of the previous national emergencies as who knew that this many existed? But as always when Trump does it, it's a national emergency among the media and the left!

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/list...ry?id=60294693
Hmm, it’s almost like Trump is significantly worse than other presidents.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 02-15-19, 09:23 AM
  #5053  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 27,925
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by coli View Post
Just be consistent and let me know if you disagree with previous Presidents who all had numerous 'National Emergencies' that they called for (All of these listed in the link are STILL in effect). In fact, I don't really remember the media (or you guys here) making a big deal out of most of the previous national emergencies as who knew that this many existed? But as always when Trump does it, it's a national emergency among the media and the left!

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/list...ry?id=60294693
Please note which of those that Congress directly addressed and allocated money for.

Hint: none of them.

That is why this is on very dumbious grounds (to put mildly). As we all learned in high school, the Executive office can ask for anything it wants. But it is Congress that controls the purse strings.

And this is a double down! Trump is doing an end around THIS congress AND going to take money from other areas that previous Congress’s had allocated money for.

Sdallnct is online now  
Old 02-15-19, 09:32 AM
  #5054  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Maumee, OH, USA
Posts: 3,207
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

"dumbious" I love it!
bralph is offline  
Old 02-15-19, 09:43 AM
  #5055  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Kurt D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,298
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Ooh, Donald's talking! "No more testing of Nuclear" in NK for one. What an eloquent Statesman.

"We have all the records, we have every record."

Do most drugs come in through ports of entry? "It's all a lie."

"The come to a wall and they go around the wall. They go around the wall and in!"

"They sign it, nobody cares."



Boom! Donald has the most exciting National Emergencies.

"Incredible man, just killed!"

"Death penalty! We give death penalty to people who sell drugs" (in stilted 'foreign accent', imitating President Xi.)

"The penalty is death! That's one of the things I'm most excited about."

By the way, the economy was heading down the tubes fast under the previous administration.

We played Russian Roulette with a loaded gun by electing this idiot.

Last edited by Kurt D; 02-15-19 at 09:59 AM.
Kurt D is offline  
Old 02-15-19, 09:48 AM
  #5056  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 5,045
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Trump is still spewing the same bullshit watching his live conference.
dom56 is offline  
Old 02-15-19, 09:53 AM
  #5057  
DVD Talk Legend
 
The Valeyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Building attractions one theme park at a time.
Posts: 10,472
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Fox LA cut away from the conference, summed up what he's expected to say and moved onto other news.
The Valeyard is offline  
Old 02-15-19, 09:54 AM
  #5058  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,564
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Trump says we don't need the military.
Nausicaa is offline  
Old 02-15-19, 09:59 AM
  #5059  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 6,709
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Such a cancerous huckster in the White House. He's truly lost in his own mind of tv sound bytes.
rabbit77 is offline  
Old 02-15-19, 10:00 AM
  #5060  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,593
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by coli View Post
Just be consistent and let me know if you disagree with previous Presidents who all had numerous 'National Emergencies' that they called for (All of these listed in the link are STILL in effect). In fact, I don't really remember the media (or you guys here) making a big deal out of most of the previous national emergencies as who knew that this many existed? But as always when Trump does it, it's a national emergency among the media and the left!

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/list...ry?id=60294693
Without "whataboutisms" can you defend THIS National Emergency? What has changed in the last year or so that this is SUDDENLY urgent? Use specific facts and figures to support your argument.
Groucho is offline  
Old 02-15-19, 10:16 AM
  #5061  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 27,925
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by bralph View Post
"dumbious" I love it!
Lol....since the forum upgrade, I swear my spelling has gotten worse as has auto-correct.
Sdallnct is online now  
Old 02-15-19, 10:28 AM
  #5062  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 29,230
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

So he declared a NE anyway. Then what was the point of the month+ shutdown?
Why So Blu? is offline  
Old 02-15-19, 10:35 AM
  #5063  
DVD Talk Legend
 
sracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
Posts: 12,479
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
So he declared a NE anyway. Then what was the point of the month+ shutdown?
He was trying to "own the libs"... it didn't work.
sracer is offline  
Old 02-15-19, 10:39 AM
  #5064  
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,944
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Without "whataboutisms" can you defend THIS National Emergency? What has changed in the last year or so that this is SUDDENLY urgent? Use specific facts and figures to support your argument.
It's not even a valid "whataboutism." There is no remote resemblance between the emergencies declared by other Presidents to this border wall one. But I guess we are just trying different things to see what sticks. First it was a wall that Mexico pays for, then they are steel slats that Americans build, then it changed from crime and security to humanitarian crisis, then it's a national emergency because Obama did it too. What will it be tomorrow? Who knows!
Psi is offline  
Old 02-15-19, 10:43 AM
  #5065  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

The humanitarian crisis line really pisses me off. The administration created the crisis by separating children from their families, now they’re using that as justification to build the wall? There is a special place in hell for them.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 02-15-19, 10:47 AM
  #5066  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 30,255
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Without "whataboutisms" can you defend THIS National Emergency? What has changed in the last year or so that this is SUDDENLY urgent? Use specific facts and figures to support your argument.
ISIS caravans coming in through Mexico, bringing gay sex, drugs, socialism, AIDS, and MS-13?


Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 02-15-19, 10:48 AM
  #5067  
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,944
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
The humanitarian crisis line really pisses me off. The administration created the crisis by separating children from their families, now they’re using that as justification to build the wall? There is a special place in hell for them.
Don't forget. Obama did it too.
Psi is offline  
Old 02-15-19, 10:52 AM
  #5068  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
joeblow69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Palm Springs
Posts: 8,077
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

He's so STUPID

joeblow69 is offline  
Old 02-15-19, 10:53 AM
  #5069  
Enormous Genitals
 
Bandoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Posts: 32,790
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

The best part is when he said "I don't really need to do this, I just want to move faster than Congress". He fucking admitted that it's not an emergency. That will be cited on the front page of the Complaint filed against him in federal court.
Bandoman is offline  
Old 02-15-19, 10:56 AM
  #5070  
DVD Talk Legend
 
sracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
Posts: 12,479
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

That press conference made as much sense as those "Bad Lip Reading" videos. I was waiting for him to use the phrase, "dumb potato basket".
sracer is offline  
Old 02-15-19, 11:04 AM
  #5071  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,192
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Thus begins a new era where presidents rule as dictators by declaring national emergencies. Have fun in 2024 when President AOC bans all guns with the wave of her hand.
Hahaha. Let her try it.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 02-15-19, 11:05 AM
  #5072  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,192
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
The best part is when he said "I don't really need to do this, I just want to move faster than Congress". He fucking admitted that it's not an emergency. That will be cited on the front page of the Complaint filed against him in federal court.
Obama did the same. Republicans took Obama's EOs to SCOTUS as well. Move along. Nothing to see here. Stay the course. Russian Collusion. The court isn't concerned with gotcha commentary that you or a desperate media source is looking to publish on their website in bold red letter. They are concerned with whether or not a Prez can do it. He can. Every President has done it in one way or another. End of story.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 02-15-19, 11:12 AM
  #5073  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 30,352
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Obama did the same. Republicans took Obama's EOs to SCOTUS as well. Move along. Nothing to see here. Stay the course. Russian Collusion. The court isn't concerned with gotcha commentary that you or a desperate media source is looking to publish on their website in bold red letter. They are concerned with whether or not a Prez can do it. He can. Every President has done it in one way or another. End of story.
Obama declared a national emergency to get money Congress denied him for a pet project from other baskets they had approved to be used elsewhere?

Got a link? I can't wait to read it!

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Hahaha. Let her try it.
If Trump can do it, why can't a Dem President?
Draven is offline  
Old 02-15-19, 11:20 AM
  #5074  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Nefarious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: In the Middle
Posts: 4,983
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Obama did the same. Republicans took Obama's EOs to SCOTUS as well. Move along. Nothing to see here. Stay the course. Russian Collusion. The court isn't concerned with gotcha commentary that you or a desperate media source is looking to publish on their website in bold red letter. They are concerned with whether or not a Prez can do it. He can. Every President has done it in one way or another. End of story.
You've never let facts get in the way of a post, I'll give you that.
Nefarious is offline  
Old 02-15-19, 11:23 AM
  #5075  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,192
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Draven View Post

If Trump can do it, why can't a Dem President?
I'm not saying she cannot. Let her. I have no problem with her doing it. It's her right. It would be challenged accordingly.
DVD Polizei is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.