Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Old 02-14-19, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Fuck him for his second tweet. He has done absolutely nothing to prevent this from happening again.
Old 02-14-19, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
I had no idea that this word was so widely and commonly misspelled until this administration when the border is all what people can talk about. Wow.
After seeing that people mistakenly use "common" rather than "come on," nothing surprises me. You're vs your. Then vs than. Nothing.
Old 02-14-19, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...99414916169730Fuck him for his second tweet. He has done absolutely nothing to prevent this from happening again.
That's so gross. We must keep our nation's kids safe from brown people and from zero other threats.
Old 02-14-19, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
After seeing that people mistakenly use "common" rather than "come on," nothing surprises me. You're vs your. Then vs than. Nothing.
I don't know what you're talking about. Now excuse me while I have a horror movie double feature. Dario Argento's The Bird with the Crystal Plummage, and Stanley Kubrick's The Shinning.
Old 02-14-19, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

bah, they got nuthin on "prolly"....
Old 02-14-19, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just read on Fox that the word "wall" does not appear once in the 1,768 pages.

And Trump will still claim victory.
Old 02-14-19, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Just read on Fox that the word "wall" does not appear once in the 1,768 pages.

And Trump will still claim victory.
he already said that you can call it whatever you want. How many times does "peaches" appear?
Old 02-14-19, 04:52 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think it's a come on mistake. It's just that our President is stupid.
Old 02-14-19, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good point. Although "common" instead of "come on" is a new one to me! Another pet peeve of mine is people saying something is "broke" instead of "broken". I see that on eBay ALL the time, but I'm getting off topic now. Back to the National Emergency!

Old 02-14-19, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Back to the National Emergency!
Old 02-14-19, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So if Trump does declare a NE, is he going to explain why he waited through the longest government shutdown in history before doing so? He was spouting National Emergency, before the shutdown started so he can’t claim it was new.

Also, if there was, in fact, a National Emergency on the border of this country, why no mention of it during the SOTU? Seems like something he should have mentioned since, you know, it’s a fucking National Emergency!
Old 02-14-19, 07:14 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ You expect a logical explanation? The emergency is that Trump just found out this week that Pelosi will not give him the $5.7B that he and Hannity and Coulter wanted for his wall.
Old 02-14-19, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
Yep, that's it!

Old 02-14-19, 08:18 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster View Post
Declaring a national emergency at this juncture is quite possibly the worst time to do so.

The act already sets a precedent for how future Presidents can wield this power, but doing so as a direct response to a (spending) bill that he doesn't like?

Yikes.
It’s the worst thing he can do if his end goal is to get a wall built, because it will be challenged in court and could very well lose.

If his goal is to pander to his base, it’s the exact right timing to do it. He can say he tried to work within the system, but the rotten Democrats and swamp bureaucrats prevented him from protecting America, so he had to take matters into his own hands. And if he loses in the courts, he’ll just say the courts are a fraud and if any judge involved is anything other than white, Trump will throw in some racist rhetoric about them as well.
Old 02-14-19, 08:22 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
^ You expect a logical explanation? The emergency is that Trump just found out this week that Pelosi will not give him the $5.7B that he and Hannity and Coulter wanted for his wall.
If only Trump had said on the campaign trail, "We're going to build a great beautiful wall from sea to shining sea and it's going to cost taxpayers a shitload of money..."
Old 02-14-19, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Another Republican who opposes Trump’s NE declaration! And this one even thinks it would be an impeachable offense!

(CNN) — President Donald Trump once said taking executive action on immigration was an unconstitutional action that could lead to impeachment.

Trump's past comments are at odds with his current plans to declare a national emergency and other executive actions to secure funding for a border wall.

Trump made the comments on Fox News' "Fox and Friends" in November 2014 when asked about executive actions by then-President Barack Obama that would halt deportations for the undocumented parents of children born in the United States.

"Now he has to use executive action and this is a very, very dangerous thing that should be overwritten easily by the Supreme Court," Trump said.

”So we're looking now at a situation, it should absolutely not pass muster in terms of constitutionality, but it depends on what these justices do," he added.

The White House did not return a request for comment.

Trump was also asked if the Obama had committed any impeachable offenses. He said Obama could certainly be impeached for his executive action on immigration.

"Well, he certainly did something that was unconstitutional," Trump said. "Now, it depends on Justice (John) Roberts. If he wants to just curry favor in the Beltway like he did with Obamacare, because that's the only reason he did it. Because he knows he was wrong, but it certainly depends on what happens. I mean, I think certainly he could be impeached and certainly they could shut down the government."

The comments from Trump echo a tweet he sent, also from November 2014, in which he wrote, "Repubs must not allow Pres Obama to subvert the Constitution of the US for his own benefit & because he is unable to negotiate w/ Congress."
Old 02-14-19, 08:39 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
If only Trump had said on the campaign trail, "We're going to build a great beautiful wall from sea to shining sea and it's going to cost taxpayers a shitload of money..."
He did say half of that, and 50% accuracy is his average.
Old 02-14-19, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 02-14-19, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Any Republican that claims they disagree with Trump declaring a national emergency with quickly back down and toe the line as soon as Trump does it.

I have never seen such spineless jellyfish in my life. Not one of them have a backbone to stand for what they themselves believe is right. Everything is truly fucked up right now. Never have seen anything like this.
Old 02-15-19, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Our definition of a National Emergency and a politicians is different. Every President has declared numerous NE's during their tenure. I'm sure it would depend on what side of the aisle you are sitting on as to whether you agreed they were actually emergencies. Obama declared 13. Obamanation would say every one was legit. Trumpeters would claim most were just to get what he wanted. Clinton had 17. I will tell you what we found out in NY. After Sandy Hook Governor Cuomo declared a state of emergency to push through the SAFE act, citing imminent threats to safety. When the inevitable lawsuits hit the courts, a small portion of it was ruled unconstitutional and arbitrary. The SOE was in fact held up in the courts even though the government could show no actual imminent threat as they had claimed. The answer was he could declare just about anything he wanted an emergency. Even though there was not one iota of evidence of danger, there didn't need to be for him to be within his rights.
Old 02-15-19, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
Any Republican that claims they disagree with Trump declaring a national emergency with quickly back down and toe the line as soon as Trump does it.

I have never seen such spineless jellyfish in my life. Not one of them have a backbone to stand for what they themselves believe is right. Everything is truly fucked up right now. Never have seen anything like this.
Just be consistent and let me know if you disagree with previous Presidents who all had numerous 'National Emergencies' that they called for (All of these listed in the link are STILL in effect). In fact, I don't really remember the media (or you guys here) making a big deal out of most of the previous national emergencies as who knew that this many existed? But as always when Trump does it, it's a national emergency among the media and the left!

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/list...ry?id=60294693
Old 02-15-19, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I highly recommend Elizabeth Joh’s podcast with Roman Mars - “What Trump Can Teach Us About Con Law”. It’s been very helpful to me at framing what Trump is doing, what the overarching issues with his behavior are and what precedents have already been set.

Originally Posted by coli View Post
Just be consistent and let me know if you disagree with previous Presidents who all had numerous 'National Emergencies' that they called for (All of these listed in the link are STILL in effect). In fact, I don't really remember the media (or you guys here) making a big deal out of most of the previous national emergencies as who knew that this many existed? But as always when Trump does it, it's a national emergency among the media and the left!

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/list...ry?id=60294693
I disagree with any of those that are end-runs around Congress’s constitutional responsibility to allocate money.

Will you be as supportive when a Dem President uses a NE to take guns from citizens? Getting shot to death is certainly a bigger issue than the “national emergency” of our southern border.
Old 02-15-19, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
Every President has declared numerous NE's during their tenure. ... Obama declared 13.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

It appears they're most often used in discrete/unknown foreign relations. Does it have something to do with circumventing UN policies?

Trump using it as a tool for an executive decision on a domestic matter is uncommon.
Old 02-15-19, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
Our definition of a National Emergency and a politicians is different. Every President has declared numerous NE's during their tenure. I'm sure it would depend on what side of the aisle you are sitting on as to whether you agreed they were actually emergencies. Obama declared 13. Obamanation would say every one was legit. Trumpeters would claim most were just to get what he wanted. Clinton had 17. I will tell you what we found out in NY. After Sandy Hook Governor Cuomo declared a state of emergency to push through the SAFE act, citing imminent threats to safety. When the inevitable lawsuits hit the courts, a small portion of it was ruled unconstitutional and arbitrary. The SOE was in fact held up in the courts even though the government could show no actual imminent threat as they had claimed. The answer was he could declare just about anything he wanted an emergency. Even though there was not one iota of evidence of danger, there didn't need to be for him to be within his rights.
Except unlike every other NE, this one was specifically addressed by Congress. And Trump simply doesn’t like the outcome.

If Congress had voted down the ACA (Obamacare) would it have been acceptable for Obama to declare a NE?

And when “this” Congress vote NOT to eliminate the ACA, why didn’t Trump just declare a NE and eliminate himself?

Just go back and listen to Mitch and other GOP members, Of course they will all fall in line now so they can be re-elected.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 02-15-19 at 07:35 AM.
Old 02-15-19, 07:31 AM

Stupid people calling other stupid people "stupid" is really stupid.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.