Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Old 02-14-19, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Thus begins a new era where presidents rule as dictators by declaring national emergencies. Have fun in 2024 when President AOC bans all guns with the wave of her hand.
least you could make a reasonable arguement on the gun issue (not I’m not saying I agree or it is right). But least you could make a better arguement for that than a wall.
Old 02-14-19, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wouldn't a NA still have to go through the courts?
Old 02-14-19, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They are already saying there will be “endless” lawsuits.
Old 02-14-19, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I saw Mitch talking. He looks defeated. And he announced before the WH did.
Old 02-14-19, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry I won't be posting here for a while. I'm heading to the border to help out with the National Emergency. We must band together and stop the horrific calamity that is destroying our nation. I wish you luck comrades. We are truly facing a national emergency of epic proportions.

Old 02-14-19, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn right. All I see in that picture is two rapists and a future terrorist!!
Old 02-14-19, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Damn right. All I see in that picture is two rapists and a future terrorist!!
And look at all the destruction of the grasslands they are doing!
Old 02-14-19, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nancy did just mention that if the Trump declares a national emergency for this, the GOP should be worried a different POTUS could do it for the “epidemic” of gun violence.
Old 02-14-19, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Nancy did just mention that if the Trump declares a national emergency for this, the GOP should be worried a different POTUS could do it for the “epidemic” of gun violence.
She's not wrong. I can't think of any wording SCOTUS could use would would keep another POTUS from doing the same thing with gun violence, Flint water, or PR infrastructure.
Old 02-14-19, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The big issue with Trump is this is clearly doing an “end around”. Congress is essentially saying “no” to that much for a wall, but he is going to try to do the NE.
Old 02-14-19, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Next time someone writes "boarder" instead of "border" I'm declaring a national emergency and making French this forum's official language.

Votre ami dictateur.
Old 02-14-19, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Boarder?!? I hardly know her!
Old 02-14-19, 02:58 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Declaring a national emergency at this juncture is quite possibly the worst time to do so.

The act already sets a precedent for how future Presidents can wield this power, but doing so as a direct response to a (spending) bill that he doesn't like?

Yikes.
Old 02-14-19, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
She's very correct to make such a "threat". And the Repubs should be very concerned about the reality of that happening if the shitstain actually does declare a national emergency.

If he does this, he and the GOP senate will look like ineffective patsies (which is already the case, it seems). The turtle should be doing everything in his power to stop this. Neither party should be abusing presidential power in this manner.
Old 02-14-19, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster View Post
Declaring a national emergency at this juncture is quite possibly the worst time to do so.

The act already sets a precedent for how future Presidents can wield this power, but doing so as a direct response to a (spending) bill that he doesn't like?

Yikes.
Who cares about that BS when you can make Hannity, Coulter and the base happy? Isn't that all that matters?
Old 02-14-19, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
She's very correct to make such a "threat". And the Repubs should be very concerned about the reality of that happening if the shitstain actually does declare a national emergency.

If he does this, he and the GOP senate will look like ineffective patsies (which is already the case, it seems). The turtle should be doing everything in his power to stop this. Neither party should be abusing power in this manner.
Old 02-14-19, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know, I know. I cringed and laughed as I typed. it.
Old 02-14-19, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post

If he does this, he and the GOP senate will look like ineffective patsies (which is already the case, it seems). The turtle should be doing everything in his power to stop this. Neither party should be abusing presidential power in this manner.
And is hypocrisy on a grand scale. As CNN point out “The Turtle” and the GOP were livid when Obama did it for DACA. My understanding is DACA just wasn’t being addressed. So Obama did. Here, the wall is being addressed by the full congress. And still Trump is “allegedly” going to declare a NE on something that was addressed.
Old 02-14-19, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Since he seems set on declaring a NA, does that mean that the government has already squared away all the land needed for this wall/steel slates/white picket fence?
Old 02-14-19, 03:13 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Who cares about that BS when you can make Hannity, Coulter and the base happy? Isn't that all that matters?
The new cover story from Hannity is that this is a "down payment" for the real wall which will be built anytime now.
Old 02-14-19, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Thus begins a new era where presidents rule as dictators by declaring national emergencies. Have fun in 2024 when President AOC bans all guns with the wave of her hand.
You're assuming that if he declares an NE it will stand up against lawsuits. If it does, then at least we know where we actually are as a nation. If it doesn't, then he'll be smacked down once again. He'll claim victory anyways but the truth will be that he will be contained.

If the NE stands, then we'll know that we're voting for "dictator" (a bit of an exaggeration) not "president" which puts a new spin on things.
Old 02-14-19, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jesus, nothing like a free and separate press

White House begged Sean Hannity and Laura Ingraham to frame border deal as loss for Pelosi:
CNN
TANA GANEVA
14 FEB 2019 AT 13:59 ET

As the threat of yet another government shutdown looms, the White House has been calling right-wing critics of the border wall deal, like Fox News’ Sean Hannity and begging them to spin the negotiations as a win for the President, CNN reports.

After negotiators reached a tentative deal to prevent another government shutdown, public figures like Sean Hannity ripped the deal, with Hannity calling it “garbage” and advising the president to declare a national emergency.

According to CNN, the Trump administration has been reaching out to critics of the deal, hoping to sway them into backing the president on it.

“You saw a big change in tone from people like Sean Hannity when he said he wasn’t happy with the deal but he believed the president would take some kind of executive action if he did sign the deal to avoid a government shutdown,” CNN’s Kaitlan Collins reported.
Old 02-14-19, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Jesus, nothing like a free and separate press

White House begged Sean Hannity and Laura Ingraham to frame border deal as loss for Pelosi:
CNN
TANA GANEVA
14 FEB 2019 AT 13:59 ET

As the threat of yet another government shutdown looms, the White House has been calling right-wing critics of the border wall deal, like Fox News’ Sean Hannity and begging them to spin the negotiations as a win for the President, CNN reports.

After negotiators reached a tentative deal to prevent another government shutdown, public figures like Sean Hannity ripped the deal, with Hannity calling it “garbage” and advising the president to declare a national emergency.

According to CNN, the Trump administration has been reaching out to critics of the deal, hoping to sway them into backing the president on it.

“You saw a big change in tone from people like Sean Hannity when he said he wasn’t happy with the deal but he believed the president would take some kind of executive action if he did sign the deal to avoid a government shutdown,” CNN’s Kaitlan Collins reported.
So we all knew he was a puppet/marionette. The confusing part is how many sets of strings he has/how many people's hands can fit in his ass.
Old 02-14-19, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Boarder? Isn't that what you do to keep from falling in?
Old 02-14-19, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Next time someone writes "boarder" instead of "border" I'm declaring a national emergency and making French this forum's official language.

Votre ami dictateur.
I had no idea that this word was so widely and commonly misspelled until this administration when the border is all what people can talk about. Wow.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.