Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Old 02-11-19, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post

No, heís an exceptional liar. The fact is, half of the people will not only believe anything he says without question and defend his constant stream of lies against all proof and evidence to the contrary. He is one of the finest conmen I have ever seen. He operates on a national scale. Itís mind-boggling. He has this weird quality that makes certain people want to line up behind him and kiss his ass.

Itís the kind of shit you saw from Charles Manson or Jim Jones, but heís holding sixty million people, almost all of whom have never even met him, under his sway.

That is not a credit to Trump. It is a discredit to the ignorants who fall for it.
If intelligent people were to fall for it then I'd agree.
Old 02-11-19, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, heís an exceptional liar. The fact is, half of the people will not only believe anything he says without question and defend his constant stream of lies against all proof and evidence to the contrary. He is one of the finest conmen I have ever seen. He operates on a national scale. Itís mind-boggling. He has this weird quality that makes certain people want to line up behind him and kiss his ass.

Itís the kind of shit you saw from Charles Manson or Jim Jones, but heís holding sixty million people, almost all of whom have never even met him, under his sway.

Youíre crediting the quality of the cheese for the effectiveness of the mousetrap. There are plenty of factors that have caused so many to become susceptible to Trumpís bullshit, but him being some master manipulator is not among them. If he were as skilled as youíre claiming, weíd be good and truly fucked.
Old 02-11-19, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
[/left]I think there's more to the idea of "my team" vs Trump being an exceptional conman. Sometimes your team gets a really shitty head coach, but you stick with that team because you've rooted for them your whole life. I just hope attendance drops for the next "big game" in 2020.
I think of that as a distinction without a difference.
Old 02-11-19, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-11-19, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

LOL That's the new message? Loosen up an have some fun? (As I destroy all our international alliances and the institutions of Democracy and buddy up with dictators and despots)

I bet if Nixon tried that he never would have been forced out of office.
Old 02-11-19, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

He thinks shutting down the government is fun?
Old 02-11-19, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
He thinks shutting down the government is fun?
It's fun for him. That's all that matters.
Old 02-11-19, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Not that facts matter. Wonder if Beto will out draw Trump.

Old 02-11-19, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
That is not a credit to Trump. It is a discredit to the ignorants who fall for it.
If intelligent people were to fall for it then I'd agree.
It's not just idiots who join cults.
Old 02-11-19, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Itís the kind of shit you saw from Charles Manson or Jim Jones
Thank God you're not comparing him to Hitler or Mussolini.
Old 02-11-19, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A couple of Trump supporters attend the Grammys last night. Don't ask me who they are.

Old 02-11-19, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Hmm, I'm a nobody artist; how can I get attention at the Grammy's?"
Old 02-11-19, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought that those were the types that Republicans generally shunned? The ones that believe that they are the elites, or, in some cases, are unsure of their sexuality. I guess as long as your outfit says Trump on it then you are welcome to the club.
Old 02-11-19, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Har Har, combining the Statue of Liberty with barbed wire fence. Quite a statement from a person of color.

Edit: Yeah that guy is one confused puppy. Google his pics at your own risk.

Ricky Godinez, known by his stage name Ricky Rebel, is an American singer-songwriter, dancer, musician, and recording artist. Ricky is known for advocating for LGBT rights and supporting Donald Trump.
Old 02-11-19, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post

You’re crediting the quality of the cheese for the effectiveness of the mousetrap. There are plenty of factors that have caused so many to become susceptible to Trump’s bullshit, but him being some master manipulator is not among them. If he were as skilled as you’re claiming, we’d be good and truly fucked.
After having talked to quite a few people on this, I guess a lot of people just haven't encountered a raving narcissist before. Their overwhelming external projection of self-confidence fools people into thinking they are smart and strong.

I think this is because a lot of the smarter ones manage to work their way up into leadership positions, because they like power and think they are the smartest, most attractive person around so of course they deserve it! I don't imagine a lot of rural voters have a lot of facetime with high-level executives.

A lot of the rest of the narcissist population, I think, end up relatively alone and grumpy, because they are so obviously annoying self-absorbed fuckfaces that most of us healthy people will quickly avoid.

If the Republicans in the Senate and Fox News weren't doing their best to back up every bullshit thing Trump says it wouldn't be working nearly as well. It is a party before country problem. Any real patriot would want the idiot narcissist out of office. But they're getting some of what they want, and so they think it is worth it.
Old 02-11-19, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I think there's more to the idea of "my team" vs Trump being an exceptional conman. Sometimes your team gets a really shitty head coach, but you stick with that team because you've rooted for them your whole life. I just hope attendance drops for the next "big game" in 2020.
I'm no psychologist (nor an economist by the way ) but I think cognitive dissonance heavily plays into this. People choose the team, and because the coach is shitty, it creates a cognitive dissonance ('I chose the right team' vs 'my team has a terrible coach'). This cognitive dissonance translates into a more aggresive defense of the shitty coach, in order to reduce the dissonance.
Old 02-11-19, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

We are well and truly fucked if we have to debate the quality of liar that our POTUS is.
Old 02-11-19, 02:46 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Keep pushing things out.
Old 02-11-19, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
We are well and truly fucked if we have to debate the quality of liar that our POTUS is.
I wouldn't use as colorful a description as you have, but yes, that's where we're at...and it is not going to get better.
Old 02-11-19, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
I prefer Hugo Chavez and Silvio Berlusconi.

They were big talkers, immensely popular, enriched from their terms in office, and uncaring that they left their countries in a mess.
Old 02-11-19, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I’m not sure most or even a lot of supports buy his lies. They simply don’t care that he lies. So long as he uses them to get what they want. Basically a “ends justify th means” type think. What I’m surprised at is that they think he get things accomplished.
Old 02-11-19, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have no doubt there are millions of Trump supporters who are getting a smaller tax refund or paying more who still think they got a tax cut.

Last edited by cungar; 02-11-19 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-11-19, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
I have no doubt there are millions of Trump supporters who have are getting a smaller tax refund or paying more who still think they got a tax cut.
Considering the poll results that showed that a majority of Tea Party members believed that Obama had raised taxes when all he'd done was cut the payroll tax...

Yeah, that's likely.
Old 02-11-19, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
At least Hitler could paint!
Old 02-11-19, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
You’re crediting the quality of the cheese for the effectiveness of the mousetrap. There are plenty of factors that have caused so many to become susceptible to Trump’s bullshit, but him being some master manipulator is not among them. If he were as skilled as you’re claiming, we’d be good and truly fucked.
Trump's act works because his supporters want to believe his lies. He tells them what they want to hear. Fox News creates this alternative reality where Trump is right, even when he's wrong. I saw a story on Fox News that said exactly that. I kid you not. It related to Trump's false claim that Obama wiretapped Trump Tower. The pundit said that Trump's claim may not have been true in a narrow sense but that it was somehow true in a broader sense. And most Republicans believe that the "Deep State" is out to get Trump.

Truthiness: the quality of seeming or being felt to be true, even if not necessarily true.

Last edited by Ghostbuster; 02-12-19 at 12:04 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.