Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Old 02-05-19, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Kmical View Post
Wow - Stacey's on a roll.

I like her.
These days, hearing a coherent speech from a politician is very odd.
Old 02-06-19, 06:58 AM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Old 02-06-19, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow - Stacey's on a roll.

I like her.
Will they trot out Beto for next years rebuttal? And here is loser #2 from the 2018 Elections......
Old 02-06-19, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by coli View Post
Will they trot out Beto for next years rebuttal? And here is loser #2 from the 2018 Elections......
Yeah, I didn't get the logic behind selecting her to give the rebuttal.
Old 02-06-19, 07:18 AM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Oh, the Dems had plenty of 2018 winners they could’ve pulled from had “flaunting victory” been their intention.

Stacey Abrams was a deliberate choice. Based on the response, it seems like it was a good one, too.
Old 02-06-19, 07:30 AM
Admin-Thanos

Ronald Reagan lost twice before becoming the icon Republican President. He didn't disappear after a loss.
Old 02-06-19, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ummmm....the Democrats took the House. Did you not hear?

Personally I think it was a smart move....subtle, strong. These folks aren’t going away.
Old 02-06-19, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Ronald Reagan lost twice before becoming the icon Republican President. He didn't disappear after a loss.
Ronald Reagan won as Governor of California twice (Yes, he lost in the presidential primary in 1976, but it was against a sitting President), so he was a rising star (that actually won statewide) when he started to make his way as a national figure (plus he was an actor, so he was already well-known). She lost for Governor, so she has yet to hold any Statewide Executive Office (along with the fact that she is not running in 2020), so I think she is not relevant right now. She could be someone down the road the Democrats want to run as President or VP, but she has to win a Statewide office first. The only way you can get away with running without any political experience is if you run as an outsider (Perot, Trump, Nader, etc), she is a politician.
Old 02-06-19, 08:52 AM

Ronald Reagan won as Governor of California twice (Yes, he lost in the presidential primary in 1976, but it was against a sitting President), so he was a rising star (that actually won statewide) when he started to make his way as a national figure (plus he was an actor, so he was already well-known). She lost for Governor, so she has yet to hold any Statewide Executive Office (along with the fact that she is not running in 2020), so I think she is not relevant right now. She could be someone down the road the Democrats want to run as President or VP, but she has to win a Statewide office first. The only way you can get away with running without any political experience is if you run as an outsider (Perot, Trump, Nader, etc), she is a politician.
I was not aware of any specific office-holding criteria for someone speaking in response to the State of the Union address. Stacey Adams is a Democrat - check. Her speech was given as the "Democratic response to the SOTU." Seems consistent to me.

I felt that her response was well-spoken and on-point. It was a message of hope - and a desire for unity going forward ... in pursuit of some traditional American dreams.

Where's the problem?
Old 02-06-19, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Glad they fact checked the statement about El Paso. Unsurprisingly, he flat out lied. Crime was going down well before a wall was built and actually went up for a bit after it was built.

Claim: "The border city of El Paso, Texas, used to have extremely high rates of violent crime -- one of the highest in the country, and considered one of our nation's most dangerous cities. Now, with a powerful barrier in place, El Paso is one of our safest cities."
The President's statement, which has been repeated by public officials and the White House over the course of the last year, makes an inaccurate connection.
According to an analysis of FBI crimes data and city law enforcement data analyzed by the El Paso Times, violent crime in El Paso peaked in 1993. Border fence construction didn't begin until 2008, and was completed in 2009. But violent crime fell long before the wall was built in El Paso, with violent crime falling 34% between 1993 and 2006 in the city.
And according to the El Paso Times, from 2006 to 2011, violent crime in El Paso actually increased by 17 percent.
Old 02-06-19, 09:11 AM

I was not aware of any specific office-holding criteria for someone speaking in response to the State of the Union address. Stacey Adams is a Democrat - check. Her speech was given as the "Democratic response to the SOTU." Seems consistent to me.

I felt that her response was well-spoken and on-point. It was a message of hope - and a desire for unity going forward ... in pursuit of some traditional American dreams.

Where's the problem?
Besides all of that, I can't think of anything more appropriate than having a loser responding to Trump.
Old 02-06-19, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"Powerful barrier"? Is this the concrete, steel, or see through variety?
Old 02-06-19, 09:37 AM

Trump said last night that African-American, Asian-American and Hispanic-American Unemployment were at a record low, and only the Republicans stood up and cheered? Whether you believe Trump had anything to do with that regarding his policies, wouldn't you just cheer because that's a great thing? Or maybe the Democrats are really against low-umployment for the minority groups that vote for them!
Old 02-06-19, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't seen anyone of any prominence calling out Trump for claiming that unemployment is at historically low levels and that his administration is credited with creating more jobs while at the same time claiming that the massive flood of illegal immigrants are taking American jobs.

Maybe someone should accuse him of creating jobs for illegal immigrants.
Old 02-06-19, 09:58 AM

Trump said last night that African-American, Asian-American and Hispanic-American Unemployment were at a record low, and only the Republicans stood up and cheered? Whether you believe Trump had anything to do with that regarding his policies, wouldn't you just cheer because that's a great thing? Or maybe the Democrats are really against low-umployment for the minority groups that vote for them!
I think it had more to do with them not wanting to fawn over Trump - who's taking credit for the low unemployment numbers. The low unemployment is a trend that started prior to the 2016 Presidential election (see below).

Labor Force Statistics from the Current Population Survey

Series Id: LNS14000006
Seasonally Adjusted
Series title: (Seas) Unemployment Rate - Black or African American
Labor force status: Unemployment rate
Type of data: Percent or rate
Race: Black or African American

https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/lns14000006
Old 02-06-19, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it had more to do with them not wanting to fawn over Trump - who's taking credit for the low unemployment numbers. The low unemployment is a trend that started prior to the 2016 Presidential election (see below).

Labor Force Statistics from the Current Population Survey

Series Id: LNS14000006
Seasonally Adjusted
Series title: (Seas) Unemployment Rate - Black or African American
Labor force status: Unemployment rate
Type of data: Percent or rate
Race: Black or African American

https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/lns14000006
Well, yeah, there's that thing called "context".

If someone wants to give Trump "credit" for the current economic climate, I won't argue with them, but in return they have to acknowledge:

George W Bush caused the Great Recession.
Obama worked to dig out of it.
Trump is continuing what Obama started.
Old 02-06-19, 10:07 AM

That is tricky, isn't it? Something good happens, and in the State of the Union, the president states the good as a fact, but the statement of fact could imply the president who stated it is responsible and she or he should be applauded for it. If you don't like the president but do agree it's good news and she or he is responsible, it's better to clap. However, if you think it's good news but she or he isn't responsible, do you applaud? That's trickier.
Old 02-06-19, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think some people tire of clapping each and every time he cranes his head out on his neck.
Old 02-06-19, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Well, yeah, there's that thing called "context".

If someone wants to give Trump "credit" for the current economic climate, I won't argue with them, but in return they have to acknowledge:

George W Bush caused the Great Recession.
Obama worked to dig out of it.
Trump is continuing what Obama started.
Trump doesn't acknowledge this, but he's certainly taking the credit
Old 02-06-19, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by story View Post
That is tricky, isn't it? Something good happens, and in the State of the Union, the president states the good as a fact, but the statement of fact could imply the president who stated it is responsible and she or he should be applauded for it.
Similar to the unemployment numbers, the record oil and natural gas production and exports that Trump claims credit for are actually a continuation of a trend that started many years ago and was helped along by some Obama policies.
Old 02-06-19, 10:56 AM

So if the Economy slips into a recession and the stock market tanks, it's Trump fault? But if times are good, we credit Obama no matter how long Trump is President?

I repeat, 'The Dems are against low Minority Unemployment!"
Old 02-06-19, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So if the Economy slips into a recession and the stock market tanks, it's Trump fault? But if times are good, we credit Obama no matter how long Trump is President?

What are you talking about? The point was “context”. If the economy falls, then will have to see the context. It very well could be Trump.

Or are you denying that context matters?
Old 02-06-19, 11:10 AM

Yes - if contributing factors for the recession involve the following:

1. Rather than re-investing in the expansion of facilities, the hiring of new workers, and paying higher wages to retain skilled employees, companies are using the extra money (from corporate tax cuts) to buy back stocks or increase dividends, and
2. Tariffs are generating extra costs for some companies, the results being their need to stop expansion, close facilities, and lay off workers, and
3. Tax cuts for the wealthy fail to "trickle down" to the middle class, instead being put into tax-free/offshore instruments which result in less revenue for the government.

The three items above are the result of actions taken by our current President and the Republican-controlled Congress.
Old 02-06-19, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

What are you talking about? The point was “context”. If the economy falls, then will have to see the context. It very well could be Trump.

Or are you denying that context matters?
He's saying they didn't stand and clap thus they are against it.
Old 02-06-19, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
He's saying they didn't stand and clap thus they are against it.
I thought it was more than that. Weren't we previously told that those who didn't stand and clap for him were "treasonous" enemies of the State?

"They were like death and un-American. Un-American. Somebody said, 'treasonous.' I mean, Yeah, I guess why not? Can we call that treason? Why not? I mean they certainly didn't seem to love our country that much."

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.