Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Old 02-03-19, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Trump says he'll reject U.S. intelligence assessments he disagrees with

Despite growing foreign-policy misgivings about him even within the GOP, President Trump insisted in an interview aired Sunday that he feels free to ignore the assessments of his intelligence chiefs and instead act on his own beliefs.
Because, you know, shitstains are smarter than experts.

L.A.Times article
Old 02-03-19, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Since midterms, Trump has spent nearly 60% of his scheduled time in unstructured 'executive time'.

In a statement to Axios, White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said: "President Trump has a different leadership style than his predecessors and the results speak for themselves."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/03/polit...les/index.html
Yes, they certainly do.
Old 02-03-19, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In case anyone was wondering

Old 02-04-19, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know that nobody nowadays likes good news regarding Hitler and his policies but unemployment in Germany dropped from 30% in the early 1930's to under 1% by 1938.

I'm really sorry guys as I didn't want to post any good news about Hitler, and I worry I may get banned for doing it!
Old 02-04-19, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Oh boy. Back to Trump = Hitler again. But no TDS!
Old 02-04-19, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Its has become kind of predicable were they are goodwins with their posts

Old 02-04-19, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post

It's not really a Godwin in this kind of context.

When you say "x is not a bad man because he owns a dog and a person who owns a dog cannot be a bad man", I can refute the argument by giving someone like George W. Bush as an example. But then you and I might get into an argument whether or not GWB is a bad person.

The only way to obliterate the argument that a person with a dog must be a good man, is giving Hitler as an example. If the worst possible person ever did own a dog, the argument fails. And no, it doesn't mean that X=Hitler in this context.

BTW: Obama did better on unemployment than Trump has done thus far. That doesn't make Obama Hitler either.

Last edited by Mark_vdH; 02-04-19 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-04-19, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Countdown until the President takes credit for the Patriots winning the Super Bowl:

3 ... 2 ... 1 ... ?
Old 02-04-19, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
Old 02-04-19, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
Yea, it's a ridiculous comparison... Hitler actually had above average intelligence... Trump is a fucking moron by any metric.
Old 02-04-19, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
Proofreading is hard!
Old 02-04-19, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Yea, it's a ridiculous comparison... Hitler actually had above average intelligence... Trump is a fucking moron by any metric.
And I'm pretty sure our military wouldn't just fall in line if Trump decided to start a genocide.
Old 02-04-19, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
And I'm pretty sure our military wouldn't just fall in line if Trump decided to start a genocide.
Trump, Hitler, Genocide, Racism, Dictator, MAGA hats!
Old 02-04-19, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was making a point that the Trump/Hitler comparison was poor...but if you want to lump all those things as one, go for it.
Old 02-04-19, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Your homework is to write a 500-word essay comparing and contrasting the Charlottesville rally and the president's reaction thereto with Kristallnacht. Or if you prefer, compare and contrast the conditions in ICE camps and the treatment of undocumented aliens with the conditions in concentration camps in pre-World War II Germany.

Look, I don't think Trump is Hitler, and I don't think his endgame is genocide. But I do think he's disturbingly willing to dehumanize anyone who isn't white, and I think a large portion of the country seems to have no qualms with, for example, kids being separated from their parents, or people languishing in camps, or kids dying in government custody. So the whole "Oh, they'd never fall in line with Trump if he went too far" argument doesn't really do much for me, because they are falling in line.
Old 02-04-19, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Though certain members of congress almost certainly would.

Old 02-04-19, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Your homework is to write a 500-word essay comparing and contrasting the Charlottesville rally and the president's reaction thereto with Kristallnacht. Or if you prefer, compare and contrast the conditions in ICE camps and the treatment of undocumented aliens with the conditions in concentration camps in pre-World War II Germany.

Look, I don't think Trump is Hitler, and I don't think his endgame is genocide. But I do think he's disturbingly willing to dehumanize anyone who isn't white, and I think a large portion of the country seems to have no qualms with, for example, kids being separated from their parents, or people languishing in camps, or kids dying in government custody. So the whole "Oh, they'd never fall in line with Trump if he went too far" argument doesn't really do much for me, because they are falling in line.
Good post. Agree.
Old 02-04-19, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Time between saying others are deranged with regard to Trump and overreacting when someone defends Dear Leader using a word you don't like: 3 hours and 53 minutes.
Old 02-04-19, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by GoVegan View Post
Time between saying others are deranged with regard to Trump and overreacting when someone defends Dear Leader using a word you don't like: 3 hours and 53 minutes.
No one was defending him, you got played. When someone says they believe that Trump would stopped from committing mass genocide by a military coup, then calling it a defense of Trump, then yeah, I'm not sure what to say.
Old 02-04-19, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No one was defending him, you got played. When someone says they believe that Trump would stopped from committing mass genocide by a military coup, then calling it a defense of Trump, then yeah, I'm not sure what to say.
Saying I don't think the military would stand behind him = me saying Trump WANTS mass genocide?

It's still early on Monday but my brain can't handle your "logic".
Old 02-04-19, 11:43 AM

Saying I don't think the military would stand behind him = me saying Trump WANTS mass genocide?
Certainly is in no way a "defense" of Trump. Trump, Hitler, Mass Genocide... I'm defending him by randomly putting these words together!
Old 02-04-19, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post

Exactly.
Old 02-04-19, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Exactly.
Yeah, I remember when Trump called the MS13 gang a bunch of animals. That was clearly dehumanizing, and I'm glad that the people here at DVDTalk were brave enough to defend the MS13 against Trump's hateful comments. And any President that would put kids in cages or indirectly result in them being placed with child traffickers should never be regarded as being a decent human being. There, we are all on the same page now.
Old 02-04-19, 12:21 PM

Maybe all the people ridiculing the Hitler comparison would be so kind as to let the rest of us know the other historical figures that were along the same lines as Hitler, but not Hitler. You know, they instigated a lot of terrible feelings and upheld dehumanization as policy, and gladly they stopped short of genocide while also not caring if people were attacking the very people he was dehumanizing. Kind of a Hitler-lite. See, I just don't know the names of the mini-Hitlers, the three doors down Hitlers. Who are those not-so-much Hitlers? Maybe you can tell us so we can use them to compare the president to, instead, so we're more accurate.

If you don't know who those men are either, guess we'll have to use Hitler in the meantime.
Old 02-04-19, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by story View Post
Maybe all the people ridiculing the Hitler comparison would be so kind as to let the rest of us know the other historical figures that were along the same lines as Hitler, but not Hitler. You know, they instigated a lot of terrible feelings and upheld dehumanization as policy, and gladly they stopped short of genocide while also not caring if people were attacking the very people he was dehumanizing. Kind of a Hitler-lite. See, I just don't know the names of the mini-Hitlers, the three doors down Hitlers. Who are those not-so-much Hitlers? Maybe you can tell us so we can use them to compare the president to, instead, so we're more accurate.

If you don't know who those men are either, guess we'll have to use Hitler in the meantime.
That this comment is coming from a mod is particularly disturbing and signals my exit from this thread.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.