Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Old 02-03-19, 03:53 PM
  #4401  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Bronkster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: AnaheimLand, SoCal
Posts: 15,426
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Trump says he'll reject U.S. intelligence assessments he disagrees with

Despite growing foreign-policy misgivings about him even within the GOP, President Trump insisted in an interview aired Sunday that he feels free to ignore the assessments of his intelligence chiefs and instead act on his own beliefs.
Because, you know, shitstains are smarter than experts.

L.A.Times article
Bronkster is offline  
Old 02-03-19, 04:56 PM
  #4402  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Kmical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oconomowoc, WI
Posts: 3,336
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Since midterms, Trump has spent nearly 60% of his scheduled time in unstructured 'executive time'.

In a statement to Axios, White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said: "President Trump has a different leadership style than his predecessors and the results speak for themselves."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/03/polit...les/index.html
Yes, they certainly do.
Kmical is offline  
Old 02-03-19, 10:52 PM
  #4403  
DVD Talk Legend
 
stingermck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NC
Posts: 15,183
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

In case anyone was wondering

stingermck is offline  
Old 02-04-19, 06:22 AM
  #4404  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Jaymole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: N.Y, N.Y
Posts: 9,196
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

I know that nobody nowadays likes good news regarding Hitler and his policies but unemployment in Germany dropped from 30% in the early 1930's to under 1% by 1938.

I'm really sorry guys as I didn't want to post any good news about Hitler, and I worry I may get banned for doing it!
Jaymole is offline  
Old 02-04-19, 06:35 AM
  #4405  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,217
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Oh boy. Back to Trump = Hitler again. But no TDS!
PerryD is offline  
Old 02-04-19, 06:46 AM
  #4406  
DVD Talk Legend
 
mspmms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana and still checking my emails
Posts: 13,416
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Its has become kind of predicable were they are goodwins with their posts

.


.

mspmms is offline  
Old 02-04-19, 07:44 AM
  #4407  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 997
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
Its has become kind of predicable were they are goodwins with their posts

.


.

It's not really a Godwin in this kind of context.

When you say "x is not a bad man because he owns a dog and a person who owns a dog cannot be a bad man", I can refute the argument by giving someone like George W. Bush as an example. But then you and I might get into an argument whether or not GWB is a bad person.

The only way to obliterate the argument that a person with a dog must be a good man, is giving Hitler as an example. If the worst possible person ever did own a dog, the argument fails. And no, it doesn't mean that X=Hitler in this context.

BTW: Obama did better on unemployment than Trump has done thus far. That doesn't make Obama Hitler either.

Last edited by Mark_vdH; 02-04-19 at 07:51 AM.
Mark_vdH is offline  
Old 02-04-19, 09:07 AM
  #4408  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Kmical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oconomowoc, WI
Posts: 3,336
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Countdown until the President takes credit for the Patriots winning the Super Bowl:

3 ... 2 ... 1 ... ?
Kmical is offline  
Old 02-04-19, 09:57 AM
  #4409  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Kurt D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,708
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
Its has become kind of predicable were they are goodwins with their posts
Kurt D is offline  
Old 02-04-19, 10:12 AM
  #4410  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 12,241
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
Oh boy. Back to Trump = Hitler again. But no TDS!
Yea, it's a ridiculous comparison... Hitler actually had above average intelligence... Trump is a fucking moron by any metric.
Coral is offline  
Old 02-04-19, 10:14 AM
  #4411  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 12,286
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
Proofreading is hard!
cultshock is offline  
Old 02-04-19, 10:16 AM
  #4412  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 11,770
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Yea, it's a ridiculous comparison... Hitler actually had above average intelligence... Trump is a fucking moron by any metric.
And I'm pretty sure our military wouldn't just fall in line if Trump decided to start a genocide.
Noonan is offline  
Old 02-04-19, 10:28 AM
  #4413  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,217
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
And I'm pretty sure our military wouldn't just fall in line if Trump decided to start a genocide.
Trump, Hitler, Genocide, Racism, Dictator, MAGA hats!
PerryD is offline  
Old 02-04-19, 10:30 AM
  #4414  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 11,770
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
Trump, Hitler, Genocide, Racism, Dictator, MAGA hats!
I was making a point that the Trump/Hitler comparison was poor...but if you want to lump all those things as one, go for it.
Noonan is offline  
Old 02-04-19, 10:38 AM
  #4415  
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 39,427
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
And I'm pretty sure our military wouldn't just fall in line if Trump decided to start a genocide.
Your homework is to write a 500-word essay comparing and contrasting the Charlottesville rally and the president's reaction thereto with Kristallnacht. Or if you prefer, compare and contrast the conditions in ICE camps and the treatment of undocumented aliens with the conditions in concentration camps in pre-World War II Germany.

Look, I don't think Trump is Hitler, and I don't think his endgame is genocide. But I do think he's disturbingly willing to dehumanize anyone who isn't white, and I think a large portion of the country seems to have no qualms with, for example, kids being separated from their parents, or people languishing in camps, or kids dying in government custody. So the whole "Oh, they'd never fall in line with Trump if he went too far" argument doesn't really do much for me, because they are falling in line.
JasonF is offline  
Old 02-04-19, 10:40 AM
  #4416  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 21,047
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
And I'm pretty sure our military wouldn't just fall in line if Trump decided to start a genocide.
Though certain members of congress almost certainly would.



cungar is offline  
Old 02-04-19, 10:49 AM
  #4417  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 28,668
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Your homework is to write a 500-word essay comparing and contrasting the Charlottesville rally and the president's reaction thereto with Kristallnacht. Or if you prefer, compare and contrast the conditions in ICE camps and the treatment of undocumented aliens with the conditions in concentration camps in pre-World War II Germany.

Look, I don't think Trump is Hitler, and I don't think his endgame is genocide. But I do think he's disturbingly willing to dehumanize anyone who isn't white, and I think a large portion of the country seems to have no qualms with, for example, kids being separated from their parents, or people languishing in camps, or kids dying in government custody. So the whole "Oh, they'd never fall in line with Trump if he went too far" argument doesn't really do much for me, because they are falling in line.
Good post. Agree.
Sdallnct is offline  
Old 02-04-19, 11:16 AM
  #4418  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,419
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
Oh boy. Back to Trump = Hitler again. But no TDS!
Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
Trump, Hitler, Genocide, Racism, Dictator, MAGA hats!
Time between saying others are deranged with regard to Trump and overreacting when someone defends Dear Leader using a word you don't like: 3 hours and 53 minutes.
GoVegan is offline  
Old 02-04-19, 11:35 AM
  #4419  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,217
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by GoVegan View Post
Time between saying others are deranged with regard to Trump and overreacting when someone defends Dear Leader using a word you don't like: 3 hours and 53 minutes.
No one was defending him, you got played. When someone says they believe that Trump would stopped from committing mass genocide by a military coup, then calling it a defense of Trump, then yeah, I'm not sure what to say.
PerryD is offline  
Old 02-04-19, 11:37 AM
  #4420  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 11,770
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
No one was defending him, you got played. When someone says they believe that Trump would stopped from committing mass genocide by a military coup, then calling it a defense of Trump, then yeah, I'm not sure what to say.
Saying I don't think the military would stand behind him = me saying Trump WANTS mass genocide?

It's still early on Monday but my brain can't handle your "logic".
Noonan is offline  
Old 02-04-19, 11:43 AM
  #4421  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,217
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Saying I don't think the military would stand behind him = me saying Trump WANTS mass genocide?
Certainly is in no way a "defense" of Trump. Trump, Hitler, Mass Genocide... I'm defending him by randomly putting these words together!
PerryD is offline  
Old 02-04-19, 11:50 AM
  #4422  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 12,286
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Your homework is to write a 500-word essay comparing and contrasting the Charlottesville rally and the president's reaction thereto with Kristallnacht. Or if you prefer, compare and contrast the conditions in ICE camps and the treatment of undocumented aliens with the conditions in concentration camps in pre-World War II Germany.

Look, I don't think Trump is Hitler, and I don't think his endgame is genocide. But I do think he's disturbingly willing to dehumanize anyone who isn't white, and I think a large portion of the country seems to have no qualms with, for example, kids being separated from their parents, or people languishing in camps, or kids dying in government custody. So the whole "Oh, they'd never fall in line with Trump if he went too far" argument doesn't really do much for me, because they are falling in line.
Exactly.
cultshock is offline  
Old 02-04-19, 12:12 PM
  #4423  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,217
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Exactly.
Yeah, I remember when Trump called the MS13 gang a bunch of animals. That was clearly dehumanizing, and I'm glad that the people here at DVDTalk were brave enough to defend the MS13 against Trump's hateful comments. And any President that would put kids in cages or indirectly result in them being placed with child traffickers should never be regarded as being a decent human being. There, we are all on the same page now.
PerryD is offline  
Old 02-04-19, 12:21 PM
  #4424  
Moderator
 
story's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hope.
Posts: 8,622
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Maybe all the people ridiculing the Hitler comparison would be so kind as to let the rest of us know the other historical figures that were along the same lines as Hitler, but not Hitler. You know, they instigated a lot of terrible feelings and upheld dehumanization as policy, and gladly they stopped short of genocide while also not caring if people were attacking the very people he was dehumanizing. Kind of a Hitler-lite. See, I just don't know the names of the mini-Hitlers, the three doors down Hitlers. Who are those not-so-much Hitlers? Maybe you can tell us so we can use them to compare the president to, instead, so we're more accurate.

If you don't know who those men are either, guess we'll have to use Hitler in the meantime.
story is offline  
Old 02-04-19, 12:28 PM
  #4425  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,217
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by story View Post
Maybe all the people ridiculing the Hitler comparison would be so kind as to let the rest of us know the other historical figures that were along the same lines as Hitler, but not Hitler. You know, they instigated a lot of terrible feelings and upheld dehumanization as policy, and gladly they stopped short of genocide while also not caring if people were attacking the very people he was dehumanizing. Kind of a Hitler-lite. See, I just don't know the names of the mini-Hitlers, the three doors down Hitlers. Who are those not-so-much Hitlers? Maybe you can tell us so we can use them to compare the president to, instead, so we're more accurate.

If you don't know who those men are either, guess we'll have to use Hitler in the meantime.
That this comment is coming from a mod is particularly disturbing and signals my exit from this thread.
PerryD is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.