Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Old 01-28-19, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
The difference is... a 35 day shutdown in which Trump lost... bigly.
We'll see. I still think all the bashing he's gotten from his supporters over that decision will make him even more unwilling to listen. Bad things happen when the supporters of a narcissist start calling them soft/pushover/coward...etc.
Old 01-28-19, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

Thats what I think will happen. Dems might even give up MORE money than that for overall border security. Just no wall. And Trump would be smart to take it and spin it. If he declared a NE, it will be hung up for months, if not years and just get lost, politically.
Let's hope so. I hope that those who voted for him as a way to "jolt the system" understand that there's a downside to it... like sticking a butter knife in an electrical outlet.
Old 01-28-19, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The difference is... a 35 day shutdown in which Trump lost... bigly.
Old 01-28-19, 02:17 PM

I think the Democrats should offer Trump his 5.7B in exchange for legislation that provides a clear path to citizenship for all DACA individuals. Make sure the legislation has a plan in place to process all of these individuals within the next six months and some sort of safeguard to block mass deportations. Of course this is Trump and the Republicans so get the legislation first and then they get their wall money.
Old 01-28-19, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
And in his inane babble, trump tweeted an unsuspecting teenage girl in his handle response to Fox

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-att...114543235.html.

Yes, that's your POTUS.

/facepalm
This is no different than making an official statement and calling out the wrong person. Since the President wants to make official statements on his WH account or his personal account, he should also be financial liable for those he wrongly accuses. While I defend freedom of speech...I also defend a person's right to sue when they are mistakenly/wrongfully referred to.

While I support the President on certain issues, he needs to be aware he could potentially get an innocent person caught up in the extremist political world by accident...and that person could be seriously injured (or even fired from their job)...all because of a mistaken identity tweet.
Old 01-28-19, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
I think the Democrats should offer Trump his 5.7B in exchange for legislation that provides a clear path to citizenship for all DACA individuals. Make sure the legislation has a plan in place to process all of these individuals within the next six months and some sort of safeguard to block mass deportations. Of course this is Trump and the Republicans so get the legislation first and then they get their wall money.
The President has already said that he doesn't want to discuss DACA now. That needs to be talked about in the future and be completely removed from border funding. No need to mix immigration issues into talks about immigration.
Old 01-28-19, 02:27 PM

I don't. I think explicit "wall money" should not be in any proposal put forth by the Democrats. Poll after poll shows the majority of the country does not want the wall. If Trump sees fit to continue to pander to his base in the face of that, that's on him.
Old 01-28-19, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bralph View Post
I don't. I think explicit "wall money" should not be in any proposal put forth by the Democrats. Poll after poll shows the majority of the country does not want the wall. If Trump sees fit to continue to pander to his base in the face of that, that's on him.
Agree. That would also allow Trump to spin the story and blame the shutdown on Dems for not giving him what he wanted back then.
Old 01-28-19, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey story! He's baaaaack! Grab DVDP while you can!
Old 01-28-19, 02:40 PM

I would make the offer, I think the chances of it being excepted are zero as his base and a lot more Republicans would pissed with that sort of DACA deal. By offering the Democrats can say that they at least tried to work with Trump and the Repubs.
Old 01-28-19, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Dems won't budge on the Bigly Immorally Immoral Wall. If Trump doesn't go National Emergency, he'll lose even more support and even more federal workers will be angry at the administration. Historically, not a good position to be in, especially for 2020. Republicans need to get the money from somewhere or they're fucked next year. They're just talking and blabbering back and forth on Fox News (and on other networks), and it's the same old shit.
Old 01-28-19, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No. The 5.7 billion would be a huge waste of money. And we'd have to borrow it. Notice Republican don't even mention the debt/deficit with themselves in charge.

And it wouldn't even get us a wall, the courts would be tied up in eminent domain lawsuits for years. And that's ignoring the maintenance. Maybe if we needed economic stimulus, it would be like paying people money just to dig holes in the ground and fill them back up. I guess you get *something* small out of it.

You don't agree to blow 5.7 billion dollars just to get a little of what you want. What's next, 5.7 billion dollars for a 5% reduction in healthcare costs or something else even tinier? Please.

He's not going to agree to make citizens of DACA folks, that would anger his minority-blaming base. He spends all of his effort catering to them. That kinda deal isn't going to happen, period.
Old 01-28-19, 03:39 PM
Banned by request

The Democrats should be offering nothing. The shutdown has fallen on Trump and will continue to make him look bad. All they should offer is re-opening the government.
Old 01-28-19, 03:39 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

State of the Union Feb 5th now.
Old 01-28-19, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BDB View Post
State of the Union Feb 5th now.
Squeak it in before the next shutdown!
Old 01-28-19, 04:14 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Wonder if these two are related?
Old 01-28-19, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 01-28-19, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Key words being "I think". Who cares what Daddy Warbucks thinks?
Old 01-28-19, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

So all things being equal among everyone Trump appoints(they all lie about everything), we can expect another 1--2 years of Muller building his case?
Old 01-28-19, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Kmical View Post
This administration lives in a completely different reality than the one I know:
Didnít Trump say the same thing when he ended the shutdown, that Democrats were telling him they now agreed with him on the wall? Probably just like the federal workers who told him to keep government shut down.
Old 01-28-19, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post

Didnít Trump say the same thing when he ended the shutdown, that Democrats were telling him they now agreed with him on the wall? Probably just like the federal workers who told him to keep government shut down.
That would be a great question to ask. "Mr. President, why did you let down all of the federal workers who stood behind you on the shutdown because they agreed with you on the wall?"
Old 01-28-19, 05:00 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Brilliant that's gonna sort out the swamp once and for all.

Old 01-28-19, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Key words being "I think". Who cares what Daddy Warbucks thinks?
wrong administration. Thatís gotta be Kingpin.
Old 01-28-19, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That would be a great question to ask. "Mr. President, why did you let down all of the federal workers who stood behind you on the shutdown because they agreed with you on the wall?"
If he declares a National Emergency, "Mr. President, why did you endanger the American people, jeopardizing our security by waiting two years to declare a National Emergency?"
Old 01-28-19, 05:28 PM

Yes and yes, those are good questions he must be answered. If he's going to run, they must come up in debate. Also, the shut down cost the economy an estimated $11 billion and he needs to be asked about that, too. Over and over.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.