Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Old 01-26-19, 10:02 AM
  #4001  
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: In mourning
Posts: 26,215
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
I agree to an extent. There is a difference between actually being a tyrant or dictator and having the mindset of one. Trump is behaving as someone who has that mindset. He has no concern or care for the citizens who don't support him. He has certainly pushed beyond the imaginary boundary of the powers of the presidency and may come up against the hard boundary.

But I think it is a bit premature to say that "Democracy worked". In 3 weeks, if there is no wall money, he can declare a national emergency to reallocate funds. If that happens, then we need to see what the system does in response. If the system upholds his declaration, I won't think that the system worked.
Why?
Pharoh is offline  
Old 01-26-19, 10:06 AM
  #4002  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 30,037
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
Why?
My guess is because there is something fundamentally wrong with the idea that a President can just declare an emergency when no emergency exists to get money for a campaign promise that won’t actually address the non-emergency at all.

Last edited by Draven; 01-26-19 at 10:25 AM.
Draven is online now  
Old 01-26-19, 10:07 AM
  #4003  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Red Hood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 3,664
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3




Under Trump's watch, caravans come and go and are sometimes in the hundreds, now they regrouped and they are in the thousands.
Red Hood is offline  
Old 01-26-19, 10:19 AM
  #4004  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 27,773
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by coli View Post
But Obama never ran on Single Payer in 2008, so obviously he wasn't going to push that when he became President (He probably wouldn't have gotten elected if he ran on Single Payer). Obama ran on the ACA (which ironically was from Romney's Massachussetts Heatlh Care Plan as Governor). The point is that the only way he was able to get ACA pushed through is because the Democrats had 60 Senators (something the Republicans never had) and it still barely passed on a PARTY-LINE VOTE (and did not work with the other side), and essentially resulted in the Democrats losing 60+ House seats in 2010. Trump said he wanted a Wall in the Campaign, and he was going to live and die with that promise. You can say it was a ridiculous promise, but that's not the point, he made it and he has to own it.

The problem is that the Establishment part of the Republicans are on opposite ends of Immigration that he is on, so they were never going to take 'The Wall' up in 2017 or 2018. The Republicans and many Democrats are bought by Wall Street and Big Business and want that cheap labor (plain and simple). I work in an industry that deal with cheap labor, and I see it all of the time how middle class jobs are lost for illegals who get paid under the table.

Do I think the Wall was the be all end all? Of course not, but I don't think our politicans really give a shit about immigration as this is all lip service (like they do on so many issues in this country). Republican Establishment loves Immigration for cheap labor to pay off their cohorts in Big Business, and Democrats love immigration because they eventually want to turn them into voters (Look at California and how the demographics made it a Blue State, despite the fact that the Republicans would routinely win it in every Presidential Election before 1992.

The Wall for me was as a shot at the Establishment in Washington, or more a symbol to break their stanglehold on their power. Immigration (for me) has nothing to do with race or bigotry, it has to do with the fact that it is a part of why the middle class has been gutted (along with technology and other things we can debate here). But these politicans (from either party are not looking out for the middle class anymore). The Republicans look out for the Rich and their Big Business Cronies, and the Democrats look out for Wall Street, the poor and every little identity politics group. That's what the Wall was really about, and the Establishment crushed Trump from both sides of the political spectrum, not just Nancy.
Umm...that’s my pioint. Obama wanted single payer but new it was a losing hand. And MORE than losing an election. Losing the opportunity to do something to help those that needed it.

Trump doesnt want to lose. Period. While I personally think the wall is symbol of bigotry and divide, it’s easy enough to just talk about what a glouriius waste of money it would be. But I‘m not convenienced Trump gives a rats ass about a wall. He came up with a catchy slogan during a campaign. Right after the election some asked Trump if he was going to “lock her up”. He say “no” and basically said she suffered enough, he won. He base had kittens. So now he is back to hammering her every other tweet.

He was ready to sign a bill put together by the VP and all parties. He rejected only after couple high profile idiots who had supported him, turned.
Sdallnct is offline  
Old 01-26-19, 10:24 AM
  #4005  
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: In mourning
Posts: 26,215
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Draven View Post


My guess is because there is something fundamentally wrong with the idea that a President can just declare an emergency when no emergency exists to get money for a campaign promise that won’t actually address the emergency at all.
I agree in there not being an emergency, but it is a subjective matter.
Pharoh is offline  
Old 01-26-19, 11:26 AM
  #4006  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 51,905
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by coli
The Wall for me was as a shot at the Establishment in Washington, or more a symbol to break their stanglehold on their power. Immigration (for me) has nothing to do with race or bigotry, it has to do with the fact that it is a part of why the middle class has been gutted (along with technology and other things we can debate here). But these politicans (from either party are not looking out for the middle class anymore). The Republicans look out for the Rich and their Big Business Cronies, and the Democrats look out for Wall Street, the poor and every little identity politics group. That's what the Wall was really about, and the Establishment crushed Trump from both sides of the political spectrum, not just Nancy.
It's the same for me as well. It was a stab at establishment politicians on both sides, who make serious money off illegal immigration (Dems sell the "We Care" bullshit, and once the illegals are here...they are just lost within the population, never make any money, and are forced to stay illegitimate). I continue to bring up the Mollie Tibbetts case where a Republican-owned farm, housed illegals on the property. So, this is certainly not a one-party vice.

If Trump thought he knew about back-stabbers and switch-hitting business dealing scumbags...he's obviously in a shock in DC, because it's much worse. Trump isn't particularly innocent himself, so he's learning a lot at the moment. But unfortunately, we're over two years later, Trump did not have the creativity to get the money to begin wall construction (used loosely as repairs, modifying, etc.) that should have happened a long time ago, as well as tweeting and threatening but not backing up that smarmy commentary.

I don't believe in exclusive "high-tech" monitoring as the #1 resource to go to, because it is just insanely vulnerable to exploits. The potential hacking and drug dealers getting access to border sensors, basically turning them off and on whenever they'd like, is way too possible and would make it easy to bribe a border patrol officer who was familiar with the tech. Tech crimes are the most difficult to track, and when they find a problem...the problem has already been exponentially grown. I never thought concrete could be so easily manipulated by politicians to the point where we actually think walls are somehow bad. We have multiple high-ranking Dems wanting walls, barriers, whatever you want to call them, but somehow it continually gets drowned out by protests that concrete is immoral and bigoted--even when the people who build that wall willingly...are from so many diverse ethnic populations within the US and have no comprehension barriers when it comes to...well, creating walls for practical purposes. I've read before and pointed out here we had over 5 dozen Hispanic companies wanting to get in on the contract to help build portions of the wall and barriers and reconstruction.

Trump isn't the best messenger, which I understand, but he was all we had, and that's why he's the President. I suppose I could argue the ACA is immoral and was a financial scam on Americans...but since I"m not a Democrat, I would be wrong and of course, the discussion stops there. Right? Because Democrats are always the ones who know what's right for America. Right?

And they've always come through for the people they say the care about...right?

At this point in the political looking glass, it is impossible that all the work on the border will be done in two years, even if the funding was approved. That's the reality of where we are at. I'm sure many Trump supporters know this or have a hunch. Maybe some just want the wall as a political jab, but for those like me and @coli, it really isn't about politics, as much as it's about just having a wall that is something establishment politicians would have a much more difficult time removing than say, electronic sensors where the American taxpayer would have absolutely no idea how effective they were or how many people passed through them.

Rephrasing coli , illegal immigration is a sweet money deal for both Democrat and Republican politicians. As I've said before, Dems are selling the voting aspect of it along with free healthcare/education, and Republicans use it for cheap labor. Which is why the barriers along our borders are a fucking joke. And if you want to take it further, our national security in general...is a joke. It was on 9/11, and it's only become worse and covered up more as time goes on. Why is that? Once again, you have a group of nonpartisan politicians, wealthy corporate CEOs and media giants, who want the US to be in a constant chaotic state, and to make money off that status. Want to introduce a new drug by a pharm that has wealthy investors just waiting to dump their stock after it skyrockets? Make up some shit about an opioid crisis. Once that goes away, make up something else. Whatever. The point is...constant chaos. No borders. Faulty security. Keep your military fighting everywhere in the world so MIC can stay alive and robust, etc.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 01-26-19 at 11:32 AM.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 01-26-19, 01:17 PM
  #4007  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 3,137
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by coli View Post
(Look at California and how the demographics made it a Blue State, despite the fact that the Republicans would routinely win it in every Presidential Election before 1992.
Of course for this to be true one would have to forget about the 12 times the Republicans lost the California Presidential election prior to 1992 but thanks for the wildly inaccurate generalization.



WCChiCubsFan is offline  
Old 01-26-19, 01:19 PM
  #4008  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
ultimaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,613
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by coli View Post
But it is no different then Harry Reid invoking the 'Nucleur Option' as there is a difference between thwarting the Constitution and using the loopholes in it to push an issue you are in favor of. I honestly don't want Trump to call for a 'National Emergency' just as I didn't want Harry Reid to invoke the 'Nucleur Option' because it's a set a precedent and that always comes to bite the side that used it. But they have a 'right' to do that, as they are doing nothing illegal, they are just taking advantage of something for political gain. Again, that's democracy as Trump did not walk out and say, 'Fuck You Congress!", and rolls out the Military and arrests Nancy Pelosi and seizes the Congress, and then starts building his Wall. That is what a Dictator does, and that is why I hate the hyperbole in our politics when people use that word because they are not understanding their history and the context of what a Dictator really is. You may think Trump is a Narcissist, and asshole, and D-Bag, and he only cares about himself, but the throw around the word Dictator is either a scare tactic, or not understanding the term.



No doubt Trump could have done that, but Presidents always go for that big one that seperates their Presidency from others. Clinton went for ClntonCare in 1994, and it blew up in his face as the Democrat Congress didn't pass it and they lost in the midterms. He could have gone for smaller things in the Healthcare system at that time that would have made a difference and would have benefitted him politically. But he appointed Hillary to the Healtcare Task Force, and went for the whole thing, and lost. Trump did the same as he could have settled on more border security, etc, but he went for the Wall (which he promised during the campaign) and there wasn't the will in Congress (on both sides) to pass it. Trust me, this is more about the Republican Establishment then Nancy, as they looked away at this issue for 2 years when they had the majorities in both houses. The Paul Ryan/Republican Establishment are on the same side as Nancy on The Wall.
Originally Posted by coli View Post
But Obama never ran on Single Payer in 2008, so obviously he wasn't going to push that when he became President (He probably wouldn't have gotten elected if he ran on Single Payer). Obama ran on the ACA (which ironically was from Romney's Massachussetts Heatlh Care Plan as Governor). The point is that the only way he was able to get ACA pushed through is because the Democrats had 60 Senators (something the Republicans never had) and it still barely passed on a PARTY-LINE VOTE (and did not work with the other side), and essentially resulted in the Democrats losing 60+ House seats in 2010. Trump said he wanted a Wall in the Campaign, and he was going to live and die with that promise. You can say it was a ridiculous promise, but that's not the point, he made it and he has to own it.

The problem is that the Establishment part of the Republicans are on opposite ends of Immigration that he is on, so they were never going to take 'The Wall' up in 2017 or 2018. The Republicans and many Democrats are bought by Wall Street and Big Business and want that cheap labor (plain and simple). I work in an industry that deal with cheap labor, and I see it all of the time how middle class jobs are lost for illegals who get paid under the table.

Do I think the Wall was the be all end all? Of course not, but I don't think our politicans really give a shit about immigration as this is all lip service (like they do on so many issues in this country). Republican Establishment loves Immigration for cheap labor to pay off their cohorts in Big Business, and Democrats love immigration because they eventually want to turn them into voters (Look at California and how the demographics made it a Blue State, despite the fact that the Republicans would routinely win it in every Presidential Election before 1992.

The Wall for me was as a shot at the Establishment in Washington, or more a symbol to break their stanglehold on their power. Immigration (for me) has nothing to do with race or bigotry, it has to do with the fact that it is a part of why the middle class has been gutted (along with technology and other things we can debate here). But these politicans (from either party are not looking out for the middle class anymore). The Republicans look out for the Rich and their Big Business Cronies, and the Democrats look out for Wall Street, the poor and every little identity politics group. That's what the Wall was really about, and the Establishment crushed Trump from both sides of the political spectrum, not just Nancy.
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
It's the same for me as well. It was a stab at establishment politicians on both sides, who make serious money off illegal immigration (Dems sell the "We Care" bullshit, and once the illegals are here...they are just lost within the population, never make any money, and are forced to stay illegitimate). I continue to bring up the Mollie Tibbetts case where a Republican-owned farm, housed illegals on the property. So, this is certainly not a one-party vice.

If Trump thought he knew about back-stabbers and switch-hitting business dealing scumbags...he's obviously in a shock in DC, because it's much worse. Trump isn't particularly innocent himself, so he's learning a lot at the moment. But unfortunately, we're over two years later, Trump did not have the creativity to get the money to begin wall construction (used loosely as repairs, modifying, etc.) that should have happened a long time ago, as well as tweeting and threatening but not backing up that smarmy commentary.

I don't believe in exclusive "high-tech" monitoring as the #1 resource to go to, because it is just insanely vulnerable to exploits. The potential hacking and drug dealers getting access to border sensors, basically turning them off and on whenever they'd like, is way too possible and would make it easy to bribe a border patrol officer who was familiar with the tech. Tech crimes are the most difficult to track, and when they find a problem...the problem has already been exponentially grown. I never thought concrete could be so easily manipulated by politicians to the point where we actually think walls are somehow bad. We have multiple high-ranking Dems wanting walls, barriers, whatever you want to call them, but somehow it continually gets drowned out by protests that concrete is immoral and bigoted--even when the people who build that wall willingly...are from so many diverse ethnic populations within the US and have no comprehension barriers when it comes to...well, creating walls for practical purposes. I've read before and pointed out here we had over 5 dozen Hispanic companies wanting to get in on the contract to help build portions of the wall and barriers and reconstruction.

Trump isn't the best messenger, which I understand, but he was all we had, and that's why he's the President. I suppose I could argue the ACA is immoral and was a financial scam on Americans...but since I"m not a Democrat, I would be wrong and of course, the discussion stops there. Right? Because Democrats are always the ones who know what's right for America. Right?

And they've always come through for the people they say the care about...right?

At this point in the political looking glass, it is impossible that all the work on the border will be done in two years, even if the funding was approved. That's the reality of where we are at. I'm sure many Trump supporters know this or have a hunch. Maybe some just want the wall as a political jab, but for those like me and @coli, it really isn't about politics, as much as it's about just having a wall that is something establishment politicians would have a much more difficult time removing than say, electronic sensors where the American taxpayer would have absolutely no idea how effective they were or how many people passed through them.

Rephrasing coli , illegal immigration is a sweet money deal for both Democrat and Republican politicians. As I've said before, Dems are selling the voting aspect of it along with free healthcare/education, and Republicans use it for cheap labor. Which is why the barriers along our borders are a fucking joke. And if you want to take it further, our national security in general...is a joke. It was on 9/11, and it's only become worse and covered up more as time goes on. Why is that? Once again, you have a group of nonpartisan politicians, wealthy corporate CEOs and media giants, who want the US to be in a constant chaotic state, and to make money off that status. Want to introduce a new drug by a pharm that has wealthy investors just waiting to dump their stock after it skyrockets? Make up some shit about an opioid crisis. Once that goes away, make up something else. Whatever. The point is...constant chaos. No borders. Faulty security. Keep your military fighting everywhere in the world so MIC can stay alive and robust, etc.
A con-man sold you snake-oil, and instead of realizing you got conned you're blaming the very people that tried to warn you that this guy was a fucking charlatan to begin with. The wall that Trump campaigned was pure fantasy, and even the most deluded and indoctrinated should've been able to see it if they applied even the barest level of critical thinking towards it for a minute or two. And it really should've been obvious there was no real plan or way-forward with the new wall (or whatever you want to call it) when it took three plus weeks for them to even present even the barest of plans for how they were going to spent the shutdown ransom money.

The wall isn't a symbol of the DC establishment's power, it's a monument to the sheer gullibility of a segment of our electorate.
ultimaton is offline  
Old 01-26-19, 01:30 PM
  #4009  
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 19,297
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

The border situation is not a crisis nor is it a national emergency. End of story. Caravans of people will still form and come to ports of entry to seek asylum and likely be denied entry, as they are not wanted here by the party in control and a swath of the people that support it. It's not really a matter of whether people are here legally or not, but rather reestablishing the white dominance in the power chain. There truly are people out there worried about losing their position of power based on their skin color. That is the bottom line.
dsa_shea is online now  
Old 01-26-19, 01:37 PM
  #4010  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 56,700
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Quick thought, if the biggest right wing/NRA argument against gun control is "criminals will be criminals and get guns anyway" so

Then shouldn't the same logic be applied to the wall? "illegal immigrants/criminals are going to be illegal immigrants/criminals and get into the country anyway" so
Michael Corvin is online now  
Old 01-26-19, 02:02 PM
  #4011  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 28,974
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by ultimaton View Post
A con-man sold you snake-oil, and instead of realizing you got conned you're blaming the very people that tried to warn you that this guy was a fucking charlatan to begin with. The wall that Trump campaigned was pure fantasy, and even the most deluded and indoctrinated should've been able to see it if they applied even the barest level of critical thinking towards it for a minute or two. And it really should've been obvious there was no real plan or way-forward with the new wall (or whatever you want to call it) when it took three plus weeks for them to even present even the barest of plans for how they were going to spent the shutdown ransom money.

The wall isn't a symbol of the DC establishment's power, it's a monument to the sheer gullibility of a segment of our electorate.


Why So Blu? is offline  
Old 01-26-19, 02:04 PM
  #4012  
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Posts: 18,647
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by ultimaton View Post
A con-man sold you snake-oil, and instead of realizing you got conned you're blaming the very people that tried to warn you that this guy was a fucking charlatan to begin with. The wall that Trump campaigned was pure fantasy, and even the most deluded and indoctrinated should've been able to see it if they applied even the barest level of critical thinking towards it for a minute or two. And it really should've been obvious there was no real plan or way-forward with the new wall (or whatever you want to call it) when it took three plus weeks for them to even present even the barest of plans for how they were going to spent the shutdown ransom money.

The wall isn't a symbol of the DC establishment's power, it's a monument to the sheer gullibility of a segment of our electorate.
Phenomenal summary of this. We need to have "likes" on posts for this kind of thing.
Dan is offline  
Old 01-26-19, 02:11 PM
  #4013  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,467
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
The border situation is not a crisis nor is it a national emergency. End of story. Caravans of people will still form and come to ports of entry to seek asylum and likely be denied entry, as they are not wanted here by the party in control and a swath of the people that support it. It's not really a matter of whether people are here legally or not, but rather reestablishing the white dominance in the power chain. There truly are people out there worried about losing their position of power based on their skin color. That is the bottom line.
The biggest threat is cyber-warfare, not some hoards penetrating the border. If we have a crisis - that's it.

But the carbon blobs can't comprehend that and we have a President who can't wrap his head around that (even though it probably helped elect him). They want to live in 1960 (or 1860 in some cases) or earlier and stick their head in the sand.

Give me a Presidential candidate who emphasizes that above all else, D or R, and I would consider them.

Last edited by Red Dog; 01-26-19 at 02:16 PM.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 01-26-19, 02:21 PM
  #4014  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,270
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
I agree in there not being an emergency, but it is a subjective matter.
It seems like that statement could be applied to dozens, if not hundreds, of issues. Abortion, gun violence, sex crimes, sexual harrassment, drunk driving, climate change, tax fraud, poverty levels, malnourishment of the impoverished, police violence, racial animosity, discrimination, childhood obesity, gerrymandering, illicit drugs, and on and on and on. And every major issue could be broken down into subissues, each able to be subjectively viewed as an emergency, or even separate, diametrically opposed types of emergencies, depending on one’s political stance. Allowing Trump to build the wall in response to an ‘emergency’ seems like it could be the greatest expansion of presidential power in my lifetime.
maxfisher is offline  
Old 01-26-19, 03:22 PM
  #4015  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Red Hood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 3,664
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3


Red Hood is offline  
Old 01-26-19, 03:31 PM
  #4016  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by coli View Post
But Obama never ran on Single Payer in 2008, so obviously he wasn't going to push that when he became President (He probably wouldn't have gotten elected if he ran on Single Payer). Obama ran on the ACA (which ironically was from Romney's Massachussetts Heatlh Care Plan as Governor). The point is that the only way he was able to get ACA pushed through is because the Democrats had 60 Senators (something the Republicans never had) and it still barely passed on a PARTY-LINE VOTE (and did not work with the other side), and essentially resulted in the Democrats losing 60+ House seats in 2010. Trump said he wanted a Wall in the Campaign, and he was going to live and die with that promise. You can say it was a ridiculous promise, but that's not the point, he made it and he has to own it.

The problem is that the Establishment part of the Republicans are on opposite ends of Immigration that he is on, so they were never going to take 'The Wall' up in 2017 or 2018. The Republicans and many Democrats are bought by Wall Street and Big Business and want that cheap labor (plain and simple). I work in an industry that deal with cheap labor, and I see it all of the time how middle class jobs are lost for illegals who get paid under the table.

Do I think the Wall was the be all end all? Of course not, but I don't think our politicans really give a shit about immigration as this is all lip service (like they do on so many issues in this country). Republican Establishment loves Immigration for cheap labor to pay off their cohorts in Big Business, and Democrats love immigration because they eventually want to turn them into voters (Look at California and how the demographics made it a Blue State, despite the fact that the Republicans would routinely win it in every Presidential Election before 1992.

The Wall for me was as a shot at the Establishment in Washington, or more a symbol to break their stanglehold on their power. Immigration (for me) has nothing to do with race or bigotry, it has to do with the fact that it is a part of why the middle class has been gutted (along with technology and other things we can debate here). But these politicans (from either party are not looking out for the middle class anymore). The Republicans look out for the Rich and their Big Business Cronies, and the Democrats look out for Wall Street, the poor and every little identity politics group. That's what the Wall was really about, and the Establishment crushed Trump from both sides of the political spectrum, not just Nancy.
The wall is a shot at the establishment? How? The wall is Trump’s ultimate fascist symbol, a strongman answer to a complex problem. I find it funny you say immigrants gutted the middle class. No, the rich gutted the middle class to make themselves more rich, and part of that is exploiting the underclass and then blaming that underclass for their own exploitation.

Do do you think Trump hasn’t used cheap labor in his businesses? Do you think he gives a single solitary fuck about the middle class or people living paycheck to paycheck? All of his rhetoric is racist, but suddenly the wall is this totally innocent, non-racist thing that’s all about propping up the middle class?

Please give me some of what you are smoking, because that has got to be some good shit.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 01-26-19, 03:43 PM
  #4017  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 3,137
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by ultimaton View Post
A con-man sold you snake-oil, and instead of realizing you got conned you're blaming the very people that tried to warn you that this guy was a fucking charlatan to begin with. The wall that Trump campaigned was pure fantasy, and even the most deluded and indoctrinated should've been able to see it if they applied even the barest level of critical thinking towards it for a minute or two. And it really should've been obvious there was no real plan or way-forward with the new wall (or whatever you want to call it) when it took three plus weeks for them to even present even the barest of plans for how they were going to spent the shutdown ransom money.

The wall isn't a symbol of the DC establishment's power, it's a monument to the sheer gullibility of a segment of our electorate.
An excellent summation.

WCChiCubsFan is offline  
Old 01-26-19, 03:46 PM
  #4018  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 11,288
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by ultimaton View Post
A con-man sold you snake-oil, and instead of realizing you got conned you're blaming the very people that tried to warn you that this guy was a fucking charlatan to begin with. The wall that Trump campaigned was pure fantasy, and even the most deluded and indoctrinated should've been able to see it if they applied even the barest level of critical thinking towards it for a minute or two. And it really should've been obvious there was no real plan or way-forward with the new wall (or whatever you want to call it) when it took three plus weeks for them to even present even the barest of plans for how they were going to spent the shutdown ransom money.

The wall isn't a symbol of the DC establishment's power, it's a monument to the sheer gullibility of a segment of our electorate.
Yes, I agree.

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
The biggest threat is cyber-warfare, not some hoards penetrating the border. If we have a crisis - that's it.

But the carbon blobs can't comprehend that and we have a President who can't wrap his head around that (even though it probably helped elect him). They want to live in 1960 (or 1860 in some cases) or earlier and stick their head in the sand.
Yes, this. Cyber-warfare is a huge threat. Idiots want a fucking wall like it's 500 years ago or something, threats are waaaay beyond that now.
cultshock is offline  
Old 01-26-19, 04:58 PM
  #4019  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
joeblow69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Palm Springs
Posts: 7,861
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3



joeblow69 is offline  
Old 01-26-19, 06:04 PM
  #4020  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 27,773
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

SHS came after AOC by saying they were not listening to her about climate as climate is in Gods hands.

AOC gave a nice reply including scripture.

But someone retweeted adding “using their logic, we don’t need a wall, God will take care of”.

mic-drop!

(Sorry haven’t taken the time to learn to c/p a tweet).
Sdallnct is offline  
Old 01-26-19, 06:10 PM
  #4021  
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Posts: 18,647
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

This one?


Dan is offline  
Old 01-26-19, 06:13 PM
  #4022  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 20,841
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
(Sorry haven’t taken the time to learn to c/p a tweet).
Dunno if it's the same way on the Twitter app, but there's an arrow you can click to get the link:



Copy/paste that URL into the forum, and it'll automatically embed the tweet.
Adam Tyner is online now  
Old 01-26-19, 06:17 PM
  #4023  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Kurt D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,248
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Huh, WH official stance is ‘let god take care of it’?

we are well and truly fucked.
Kurt D is offline  
Old 01-26-19, 06:20 PM
  #4024  
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,925
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

^ Yes, but Trump is God, so we are in good hands (although small).
Psi is offline  
Old 01-26-19, 06:21 PM
  #4025  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Red Hood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 3,664
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3


This guy is celebrating that hundreds of people lost their jobs.
Red Hood is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.