Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Old 07-08-20, 10:19 PM
  #29151  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,757
Likes: 0
Received 65 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
trump's an idiot - he only wants schools to open so things will look more "normal" in time for the election. Outside of that, he gives fuck all about schools, students, teachers, etc.
Also, he doesn't have the authority to cut funding. But he probably doesn't really understand that because, again, he's a fucking idiot.
Iím scared that as we get closer to the election, weíre going to see him pushing more radical positions and actions. Look at it this way. Say Trump gets to the point where he believes he has a near zero chance of winning. Also say he believes thereís an action he can take that has a 20% chance of making him look great and win and an 80% chance of killing a million citizens. Does anyone doubt heíd take that bet if he viewed it as his only chance for re-election? Then think about his mental state and whether heís able to evaluate such trade-offs with even a remote degree of accuracy. We are likely in for some dark days between now and the election, and then more from the election to January.
Old 07-08-20, 11:05 PM
  #29152  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 43,429
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
trump's an idiot - he only wants schools to open so things will look more "normal" in time for the election. Outside of that, he gives fuck all about schools, students, teachers, etc.
Also, he doesn't have the authority to cut funding. But he probably doesn't really understand that because, again, he's a fucking idiot.
He wants things to look normal, and he also wants the parents to stop staying home so they can get the economy going again. The overt racism is a nice-to-have, but he canít win if the economy isnít on the rebound by election time.
Old 07-08-20, 11:40 PM
  #29153  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 48,627
Received 590 Likes on 349 Posts
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

What Trump wants is only half the equation. The other half is spinning the appropriate concern and caution on the other side to be ďThe Democrats and the Radical Left doesnít want you to be able to take your kid to school because it would look bad for Trump and thatís the reason they are opposing itĒ. Itís literally what Fox News is spewing right now.
Old 07-08-20, 11:59 PM
  #29154  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 33,908
Received 158 Likes on 95 Posts
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

I want my kids back in school. Itís my daughters first year of high school and we need to get moving on college stuff for my son.

But Iím also the son of a retired teacher and have seen how hard teachers work without the help and resources they need. Now they are being asked to do the same as well as risking their lives too. Just because Trump wants to be re-elected.

This teacher sums it up perfectly - itís long but worth the read.



If this happens in just a few short weeks without an actual plan, it is going to implode 100x worse than the lockdown. And kill thousands and thousands more in the process.

Trump wants his economy back? Literally destroying the education system in this country isnít going to do it.
Old 07-09-20, 12:40 AM
  #29155  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 43,429
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
What Trump wants is only half the equation. The other half is spinning the appropriate concern and caution on the other side to be ďThe Democrats and the Radical Left doesnít want you to be able to take your kid to school because it would look bad for Trump and thatís the reason they are opposing itĒ. Itís literally what Fox News is spewing right now.
So itís the classic ďAccuse the Other Side of Doing Everything Only for Political Reasons After Every Decision Iíve Made as President Was for My Own Personal Political GainĒ defense.

Like ďThey Only Want You to Wear a Mask Because They Think Itíll Look Bad for Trump.Ē
Old 07-09-20, 02:18 AM
  #29156  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 43,429
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Pretty classic "blame the victim and the media" defense. Notice how the Trump campaign guy says "everyone was provided a mask" even though we saw very few people actually wearing one, and he didn't mention distancing.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/08/us/tu...rnd/index.html

The city of Tulsa is experiencing a surge in coronavirus cases, a little over 2 weeks after President Donald Trump held a campaign rally in an indoor arena there.
Dr. Bruce Dart, Executive Director of the Tulsa Health Department, said in a press conference on Wednesday there are high numbers being reported this week, with nearly 500 new cases in two days and trends are showing that those numbers will increase.

There had been a 20% decline in new Covid-19 cases the week of June 28 through July 4.

The Tulsa Health Department reported 266 new cases on Wednesday, bringing the total number in the county to 4,571. There are 17,894 cases in Oklahoma and 452 deaths, according to Johns Hopkins University's tally of cases in the United States.
...
This coronavirus has a lengthy incubation period -- the time between when someone gets infected to when they start showing symptoms (if they get symptoms at all).The incubation period is about three to 14 days, with symptoms typically appearing "within four or five days after exposure," according to Harvard Medical School.

Trump campaign communications director Tim Murtaugh told CNN, "There were literally no health precautions to speak of as thousands looted, rioted, and protested in the streets and the media reported that it did not lead to a rise in coronavirus cases. Meanwhile, the President's rally was 18 days ago, all attendees had their temperature checked, everyone was provided a mask, and there was plenty of hand sanitizer available for all. It's obvious that the media's concern about large gatherings begins and ends with Trump rallies."
Old 07-09-20, 07:56 AM
  #29157  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Red Hood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 7,989
Received 67 Likes on 55 Posts
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

MeidasTouch can do so many of these creepy Trump videos cause there's so much evidence out there of his predator behavior

Old 07-09-20, 08:16 AM
  #29158  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Meathead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Snowtown, USA
Posts: 1,189
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Pretty classic "blame the victim and the media" defense. Notice how the Trump campaign guy says "everyone was provided a mask" even though we saw very few people actually wearing one, and he didn't mention distancing.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/08/us/tu...rnd/index.html
Seems like they also forgot they ordered the social distancing stickers removed.

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2020...cing-stickers/
Old 07-09-20, 08:18 AM
  #29159  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 48,627
Received 590 Likes on 349 Posts
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

He's started up with my favorite tweets this morning. The PRESIDENTIAL HARASSMENT! ones. The Lincoln Project is speculating that it's related to an upcoming Supreme Court ruling.
Old 07-09-20, 08:25 AM
  #29160  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di SalÚ
Posts: 33,129
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
He's started up with my favorite tweets this morning. The PRESIDENTIAL HARASSMENT! ones. The Lincoln Project is speculating that it's related to an upcoming Supreme Court ruling.
Yeah, the tax returns cases are just about the only ones left. I'm not getting my hopes up that a majority of the court will deliver a ruling decisive enough to compel action, or that compliance would be the result in any case.
Old 07-09-20, 08:26 AM
  #29161  
DVD Talk Legend
 
joeblow69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Palm Springs
Posts: 10,507
Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Yeah, the tax returns cases are just about the only ones left. I'm not getting my hopes up that a majority of the court will deliver a ruling decisive enough to compel action, or that compliance would be the result in any case.
We should know in a 1/2 an hour! They said they are releasing all remaining case decisions this morning. exciting!
Old 07-09-20, 08:42 AM
  #29162  
Enormous Genitals
 
Bandoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Posts: 33,553
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Yeah, the tax returns cases are just about the only ones left. I'm not getting my hopes up that a majority of the court will deliver a ruling decisive enough to compel action, or that compliance would be the result in any case.
Isn't one of the cases to force an accounting firm to release the returns? Will they risk the consequences of failing to comply with a Supreme Court decision?
Old 07-09-20, 09:02 AM
  #29163  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 33,908
Received 158 Likes on 95 Posts
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3


A few thoughts:
  • I don't know how you write 1/100th when you mean 100th but we did elect an idiot who cheated on his SATs
  • He keeps saying this about testing and experts keep saying it's wrong. I guess we'll see if his gaslighting is as effective as he thinks it is
  • He followed this tweet with one that just said "PROSECUTORIAL MISCONDUCT!" which Google offered to translate to English for me. Turns out it translates to "PROSECUTORIAL MISCONDUCT!" but it did make me chuckle.
Old 07-09-20, 09:17 AM
  #29164  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di SalÚ
Posts: 33,129
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Yeah, the tax returns cases are just about the only ones left. I'm not getting my hopes up that a majority of the court will deliver a ruling decisive enough to compel action, or that compliance would be the result in any case.
Boy, was I wrong.

Old 07-09-20, 09:22 AM
  #29165  
DVD Talk Legend
 
sracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
Posts: 13,588
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Boy, was I wrong.

Not really, or at least, not yet. The expert legal analysis that I'm watching is saying that this is far from over (in terms of Vance getting a hold of Trump's tax returns).
Old 07-09-20, 09:23 AM
  #29166  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di SalÚ
Posts: 33,129
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Not really, or at least, not yet. The expert legal analysis that I'm watching is saying that this is far from over (in terms of Vance getting a hold of Trump's tax returns).
I guess I should have said, "half-wrong."
Old 07-09-20, 09:24 AM
  #29167  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 15,250
Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
I'm withholding opinion until I see Biden walk down a ramp.
Have we seen Biden drink a glass of water yet? It could be the deciding factor in this election.
Old 07-09-20, 09:32 AM
  #29168  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 123,581
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Not really, or at least, not yet. The expert legal analysis that I'm watching is saying that this is far from over (in terms of Vance getting a hold of Trump's tax returns).
With remand to the lower courts, I would imagine Trump's lawyers will be able to "run out the clock."
Old 07-09-20, 09:37 AM
  #29169  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,130
Received 232 Likes on 184 Posts
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
Iím scared that as we get closer to the election, weíre going to see him pushing more radical positions and actions. Look at it this way. Say Trump gets to the point where he believes he has a near zero chance of winning. Also say he believes thereís an action he can take that has a 20% chance of making him look great and win and an 80% chance of killing a million citizens. Does anyone doubt heíd take that bet if he viewed it as his only chance for re-election? Then think about his mental state and whether heís able to evaluate such trade-offs with even a remote degree of accuracy. We are likely in for some dark days between now and the election, and then more from the election to January.
You would think that's where actual checks and balances would come in and even his party would abandon a sinking ship. I mean it's one thing to do crazy, racist things, and it's another to do those things while you're losing an election and a lame duck. I guess. But as we've discussed, this is an administration of "firsts" (but not really "bests") so who knows?
Old 07-09-20, 09:37 AM
  #29170  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,757
Likes: 0
Received 65 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by Draven;[url=tel:13769690
13769690[/url]]https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...334625793?s=20

A few thoughts:
  • I don't know how you write 1/100th when you mean 100th but we did elect an idiot who cheated on his SATs
  • He keeps saying this about testing and experts keep saying it's wrong. I guess we'll see if his gaslighting is as effective as he thinks it is
  • He followed this tweet with one that just said "PROSECUTORIAL MISCONDUCT!" which Google offered to translate to English for me. Turns out it translates to "PROSECUTORIAL MISCONDUCT!" but it did make me chuckle.
Iíll add that his Tweet shows a complete lack of understanding of how any of this works. Tests arenít given randomly. The only way cutting testing has a direct, proportional effect on known cases is if youíre doing far too little testing in the first place.
Old 07-09-20, 09:38 AM
  #29171  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
mickey65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,986
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Looks like SCOTUS ruled NY will get his taxes!!!
Old 07-09-20, 09:39 AM
  #29172  
DVD Talk Legend
 
joeblow69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Palm Springs
Posts: 10,507
Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
Looks like SCOTUS ruled NY will get his taxes!!!
but the house dems will not
Old 07-09-20, 09:42 AM
  #29173  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Kmical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oconomowoc, WI
Posts: 4,183
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Have we seen Biden drink a glass of water yet? It could be the deciding factor in this election.
I'm gonna have to give this one to Sleepy Joe. One-handed water drinking:



And, for the win, no-handed water drinking:

Old 07-09-20, 09:42 AM
  #29174  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,130
Received 232 Likes on 184 Posts
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
Iíll add that his Tweet shows a complete lack of understanding of how any of this works. Tests arenít given randomly. The only way cutting testing has a direct, proportional effect on known cases is if youíre doing far too little testing in the first place.
On the contrary that seems like exactly what he's saying. I'm still not sure if he's implying the other countries are deliberately undertesting to make their numbers look better or if he's just admitting he'd rather the US undertest to make him look better.
Old 07-09-20, 09:50 AM
  #29175  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Jaymole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: N.Y, N.Y
Posts: 9,475
Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 3

The good news is that eventually his taxes will be released. The bad news is that it won't be before the election.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.