Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The Chicago Way

Old 12-12-18, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The Chicago Way

Mike Madigan "The Boss" does his dirty tricks again, but since his daughter is in charge of investigating him, nothing will happen.

A college kid running for 13th Ward alderman gets a lesson in the Chicago Way

To get on the ballot, David Krupa was required to file 473 valid signatures of ward residents with the Chicago Board of Elections. Krupa filed 1,703 signatures.

But before he filed his signatures with the elections board, an amazing thing happened along the Chicago Way.

An organized crew of political workers — or maybe just civic-minded individuals who care about reform — went door to door with official legal papers. They asked residents to sign an affadavit revoking their signature on Krupa’s petition.

Revocations are serious legal documents, signed and notarized. Lying on a legal document is a felony and can lead to a charge of perjury.

More than 2,700 revocations were turned over to the elections board to cancel the signatures on Krupa’s petitions. Chicago Board of Elections officials had never seen such a massive pile of revocations.

The number of revocations far exceeds the number of signatures Krupa collected. That means false affidavits were filed with the elections board.

There is no litigation, yet, but election attorney Michael Dorf, who is representing Krupa, says this case is a “clown car of felonies.”

“We turned in 1,703 signatures. We compared them to the 2,796 revocations, and found only 187 matches, meaning only 187 people who signed David’s petitions filed revocations,” Dorf said. “So, what about the 2,609 people who didn’t sign for David but who filed revocations? That’s fraud. That’s perjury. That’s felony.”

Dorf said that he will ask the elections board next week to refer the matter to Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx.

But Foxx, a Democrat, won’t want to anger the Boss.

Neither will incoming Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul, who famously said he would not “go fishing” for corruption, and who also received a million dollars in Madigan political money.

And current Illinois Attorney General, Lisa Madigan, is the Boss’ daughter.

This is Chicago, where the Davids get crushed by the Goliaths. And where the boss is the boss.
Old 12-12-18, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Chicago Way

This is what everyone voted for - they get what they deserve. Maybe if enough of this gets publicized people won't just blindly vote Democrat down the line.....wait sorry lost my senses there for a minute.
Old 12-12-18, 11:50 AM

Old 12-12-18, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just wanted to be sure the people against this going on in an Alderman election are also against rampant gerrymandering. Can we get the same level or outrage for something that systematically removes peoples ability to make a difference in the electoral process as we do misconduct in a local election?
Old 12-12-18, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by JasonX View Post
Just wanted to be sure the people against this going on in an Alderman election are also against rampant gerrymandering. Can we get the same level or outrage for something that systematically removes peoples ability to make a difference in the electoral process as we do misconduct in a local election?
I agree, Madigan and the democrats have gerrymandered Illinois to give them a super majority and move previous safe red suburban districts into blue.

He removes referendums against Gerrymandering from the ballot by legal means with judges that he controls. He really is the worst of the worst in a very corrupt state.
Old 12-12-18, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
He removes referendums against Gerrymandering from the ballot by legal means with judges that he controls. He really is the worst of the worst in a very corrupt state.
Right and you are equally against it regardless of which states it happens in, correct? For example Ohio, Michigan, North Carolina and Texas? Just want to be sure we are calling out bad acts regardless of who is doing them.
Old 12-12-18, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's weird, there's one part of me that says "Of course we should stamp out gerrymandering, anywhere it is happening!" but then there's another part of me that says "We should gerrymander the whole god damned country so that republican voices are never heard from again!" Only a couple years ago, that second thought would have never occurred to me. Funny how times change ...
Old 12-12-18, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We just need elections to be fair. The rest will take care of itself. We definitely need to fix Illinois so people will stop talking about it as a way to ignore the majority of states which are gerrymandered the other way.

"But Illinois…"
Old 12-12-18, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess it could be worse.

Fair maps? Fine. You too, then, Wisconsin

https://www.chicagotribune.com/g00/n...a=1&i10c.dv=18
Old 12-12-18, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree, Madigan and the democrats have gerrymandered Illinois to give them a super majority and move previous safe red suburban districts into blue.

The actual results don’t look that far out of whack. Especially in comparison with other states.
Old 12-12-18, 02:19 PM
Admin-Thanos

I'm against Gerrymandering in MD (which is pretty bad), IL AND all the Republican states that do it. If you actually have to entertain and listen to the other side in order to win an election, you get more moderate candidates.
Old 12-12-18, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I'm against Gerrymandering in MD (which is pretty bad), IL AND all the Republican states that do it. If you actually have to entertain and listen to the other side in order to win an election, you get more moderate candidates.
100x this.
Old 12-12-18, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Chicagoist put this video together starring Chance the Rapper and Hannibal Burress about Chicago's Wards. Perfect blend of information and entertainment.

Old 12-17-18, 12:16 PM

Surprising turn. I guess the story went national and the democratic machine didn't want to get investigated further so they dropped their challenge. Now they will disenfranchise the old fashioned way, tearing down signs and intimidating voters. It's just strange that they were worried about a 19 year old kid to begin with, but I guess Madigan is used to hand-picking the Republican candidates in these districts who won't put up any fight.

College kid beats back the Chicago machine and Boss Madigan blinks

I asked Michael Dorf, Krupa’s savvy election lawyer, so how does it feel to beat the machine?

“It feels pretty good, it feels great in fact,” Dorf said. “I got a call about 11 o’clock in the morning from Mike Kasper (13th Ward attorney), and he said they were withdrawing their objections to Krupa’s candidacy. He said, ‘You won.’ ”

The Madigan men filed 187 affidavits of revocation matching Krupa signatures. But Dorf, a progressive who’d done election work for the late Mayor Harold Washington and former President Barack Obama, put in a Freedom of Information Act request asking the board to give him all the revocations affidavits that were filed. All 2,796 of them. Subtract 187 from 2,796 and you get 2,609 — that’s a lot of possible felonies, either perjury or voter intimidation.
Old 12-17-18, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Right and you are equally against it regardless of which states it happens in, correct? For example Ohio, Michigan, North Carolina and Texas? Just want to be sure we are calling out bad acts regardless of who is doing them.
*crickets*

So it seems safe to assume the answer is no. This is only a problem when evil libs end up benefiting.
Old 12-17-18, 01:39 PM

I think it could be called trolling to jump into a thread about illegal activities in an Chicago aldermatic race and inject "But what about North Carolina Gerrymandering!"
Old 12-17-18, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it could be called trolling to jump into a thread about illegal activities in an Chicago aldermatic race and inject "But what about North Carolina Gerrymandering!"
The only reason an alderman race is worth discussing is in how it potentially relates to statewide or national politics. If we are getting so inside baseball that we are seriously discussing the influence of a single alderman, I don't think anyone can actually take part in that discussion unless they reside in that specific ward. I had asked if election tampering by way of negative outside or inside influence was to be called out no matter who was doing it. You ignored the question. If you call that trolling, I don't know what to tell you.
Old 12-17-18, 07:22 PM

The story isn't the one race. It's the process controlled by the head of the Illinois Democratic party. It's an example how Chicago politicians intimidate voters and are brazen enough to go door to door to get people to retract their support under duress even if they didn't sign the petition.

But North Carolina!
Old 12-17-18, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You have made it abundantly clear you only care about misdeeds where there are Democrats involved in doing them. Therefor you don’t actually care about said misdeeds, only that Republicans are on the receiving end. I hope I never get that jaded and blinded to what is right and what is wrong that I ignore what is wrong simply because it is happening to someone I don’t like.
Old 12-17-18, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Surprising turn. I guess the story went national and the democratic machine didn't want to get investigated further so they dropped their challenge. Now they will disenfranchise the old fashioned way, tearing down signs and intimidating voters. It's just strange that they were worried about a 19 year old kid to begin with, but I guess Madigan is used to hand-picking the Republican candidates in these districts who won't put up any fight.
Without acknowledging any charges of fraud, Krupa’s opposition is saying they withdrew the challenge to Krupa’s candidacy because voters deserve the opportunity to reject him.

“(Voters) deserve the opportunity to reject him,” the campaign said in a statement. “No one whose personal conduct and whose extreme agenda so offend the city of Chicago should have the opportunity to hide behind false claims of victimhood, but that’s no doubt what a politician like Mr. Krupa would attempt to do should he be removed from the ballot.”
From NBC 5 in Chicago
Old 12-17-18, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The story isn't the one race. It's the process controlled by the head of the Illinois Democratic party. It's an example how Chicago politicians intimidate voters and are brazen enough to go door to door to get people to retract their support under duress even if they didn't sign the petition.

But North Carolina!
You have made it abundantly clear you only care about misdeeds where there are Democrats involved in doing them. Therefor you don’t actually care about said misdeeds, only that Republicans are on the receiving end.
The point is, people on both sides of the political spectrum, engage in whatabout-ism.

No one wants to give the other side an inch, because they're afraid they'll take a mile, so that's why there's so much "well, what about..."

I hope I never get that jaded and blinded to what is right and what is wrong that I ignore what is wrong simply because it is happening to someone I don’t like.
You're accusing him of being jaded but the same can be said of many on this sub-forum, including you. Someone cites a news story about political corruption which happens to involve Democrats, and you immediately view it through a Republican vs Democrat lens, and make sure to bring up an issue with Republicans.

And this also contributes to whatabout-ism. JasonX was implying gerrymandering by both sides and you come back with "I agree, Madigan and the democrats..."

Last edited by brayzie; 12-17-18 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-17-18, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope I never get that jaded and blinded to what is right and what is wrong that I ignore what is wrong simply because it is happening to someone I don’t like.
Can you give any examples when you have done this at DVD Talk?
Old 12-17-18, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
TSomeone cites a news story about political corruption which happens to involve Democrats, and you immediately view it through a Republican vs Democrat lens, and make sure to bring up an issue with Republicans.
Actually what he immediately did was ask a question about if this was just another case of one-sided concern. And it appears the concern was well founded.

Old 12-17-18, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Actually what he immediately did was ask a question about if this was just another case of one-sided concern. And it appears the concern was well founded.
The question of one-sidedness was in reference to gerrymandering of the Republican Party was it not?

Does that alleviate or excuse what happened in the news story that PerryD cited?
Old 12-17-18, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
The question of one-sidedness was in reference to gerrymandering of the Republican Party was it not?

Does that alleviate or excuse what happened in the news story that PerryD cited?
I am 100% against any and all voter suppression, disenfranchisement, manipulation, or any other act that either minimizes a voters right to exercise their franchise or makes their vote lesser than any other voter. I am willing to call it out as wrong regardless of who does it or where it is done. This isn’t an issue of whataboutism, it’s an issue of recognizing this is wrong, we should all universally identify it as wrong, and all fight to prevent it no matter where it happens or who it happens to. Selective outrage is what is problematic here in my eyes.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.