DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   PC EVERYTHING Has Gone Too Far!!! Also: Starbucks cups are OFFENSIVE (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/646044-pc-everything-has-gone-too-far-also-starbucks-cups-offensive.html)

B5Erik 12-04-18 07:51 PM

PC EVERYTHING Has Gone Too Far!!! Also: Starbucks cups are OFFENSIVE

OK, this is going way, WAY too far. Politically Correct Liberalism is officially out of control.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0f43bf2661c7f

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, the beloved Christmas special, is under fire from the politically correct crowd, who have completely missed the entire point of the story.

They are bitching and moaning about bullying and racism and judging people unfairly based on looks - without understanding that the end of the story shows those bullies getting their comeuppance and being proven WRONG. Rudolph is the freaking hero of the story, and proves that judging people on their looks rather than the content of their character is wrong!

I'm sorry, but this stuff is just pathetic. The whole moral of the story was ahead of the curve, not behind it. The liberal crowd should celebrate the message in the story, not criticize it.

But was the red-nosed reindeer marginalized? That is the premise of a HuffPost video posted Wednesday to Twitter that has been viewed more than 5.3 million times as of Sunday afternoon.

The video notes an instance in the film where Rudolph’s father “verbally abuses him.” The father of Rudolph’s love interest is called a “bigot” for forbidding his daughter from being seen with the red-nosed one. The video includes various reactions to the film from Twitter, one saying, “Yearly reminder that #Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer is a parable on racism & homophobia w/ Santa as a bigoted exploitative” [the rest is not family-friendly].

Dan 12-04-18 07:56 PM

re: PC EVERYTHING Has Gone Too Far!!! Also: Starbucks cups are OFFENSIVE

Jesus fucking Christ man.
They're JOKING.
It's so obvious that that those comments are almost all tongue-in-cheek, and the ones that aren't are so mild as to be completely non-noteworthy.

Your outrage over non-existant outrage is on brand, though.

Groucho 12-04-18 07:57 PM

Am I missing something? That link leads to a list of joke tweets.

Why So Blu? 12-04-18 07:58 PM

Happy Holidays!

B5Erik 12-04-18 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 13455700)
Am I missing something? That link leads to a list of joke tweets.

Some of them are jokes, some are not...

Psi 12-04-18 08:00 PM

War on Christmas! President Trump, help us!

brayzie 12-04-18 08:09 PM

Right above the article's title it's classified as COMEDY in bold lettering.

Right at the beginning the author says:

Here are some of those humorous observations...

stvn1974 12-04-18 08:14 PM

The animated show really is hateful and mean spirited if you pay attention to what is going on. If the show was made today Rudolph would show back up to the Reindeer games with an AR15.

dex14 12-04-18 08:16 PM

Grundle lives.

brayzie 12-04-18 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by stvn1974 (Post 13455725)
The animated show really is hateful and mean spirited if you pay attention to what is going on. If the show was made today Rudolph would show back up to the Reindeer games with an AR15.

In the 90s version, Rudolph turned to organized crime after being ostracized from society.

stvn1974 12-04-18 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by brayzie (Post 13455728)
In the 90s version, Rudolph turned to organize crime after being ostracized from society.

Oh man, MAD TV's The Reinfather was great. I think they did two of them. The second mixed in some Apocalypse Now.

B5Erik 12-04-18 08:19 PM

Is this comedy? These are the kind of points that the PC crowd makes, and they're totally serious when they make them...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The holiday TV classic &quot;Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer&quot; is seriously problematic. �� <a href="https://t.co/dOgqPF3bAP">pic.twitter.com/dOgqPF3bAP</a></p>&mdash; HuffPost (@HuffPost) <a href="https://twitter.com/HuffPost/status/1067972666622189568?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 29, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I don't know, maybe it is an attempt at comedy, but since we've all seen stuff like that done in all seriousness it's easy to believe that even if they're trying to be funny they still mean that stuff.

Dan 12-04-18 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13455730)
Is this comedy?

Yes. The piece (written) is literally labeled COMEDY at the top and the video is a supplement of that.
I mean... Would they use upbeat music if they were serious? :lol:
And it's pretty obvious that Rudolph is, and always has been, Political commentary. :lol:

These are the kind of points that the PC crowd makes, and they're totally serious when they make them...
Ah yes, back to generalizations about strawman arguments.

TOTY

B5Erik 12-04-18 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 13455732)
Yes. The piece is literally labeled COMEDY at the top.

Yeah, with my bad eyesight and ADD ( ;) ) I missed that the first time.

So people don't make PC comments like that? Come on, you know lots and lots of people do.

If you don't think the PC movement is out of control and is a net negative then we agree to disagree.

Dan 12-04-18 08:27 PM

^ you ARE the new PC movement, my man. You just don't realize it.

Psi 12-04-18 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13455733)
So people don't make PC comments like that? Come on, you know lots and lots of people do.

If you don't think the PC movement is out of control and is a net negative then we agree to disagree.

If there are lots of examples like that, it should be easy to find a legitimate one :)

majorjoe23 12-04-18 08:31 PM

Mueller is waterboarding suspects! Why aren't liberals talking about this! It's going too far!

https://politics.theonion.com/nation...ing-1825384904

B5Erik 12-04-18 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 13455736)
^ you ARE the new PC movement, my man. You just don't realize it.

OK, then...

If you say so. -screwy-

brayzie 12-04-18 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13455730)
Is this comedy? These are the kind of points that the PC crowd makes, and they're totally serious when they make them...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The holiday TV classic &quot;Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer&quot; is seriously problematic. �� <a href="https://t.co/dOgqPF3bAP">pic.twitter.com/dOgqPF3bAP</a></p>&mdash; HuffPost (@HuffPost) <a href="https://twitter.com/HuffPost/status/1067972666622189568?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 29, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Maybe a little bit of both.
The Huffington Post is playing to their crowd. One part of it jumps at the chance to criticize anything that can be construed as "problematic." That's automatic clicks. The article is obviously done as humor.
The tweet though makes it seem like they're being serious.
Anyways, in return, people like Tucker Carlson are going to play to their crowd, and get clicks from those who jump at the chance to shout in outrage, "OMG! They're ruining Christmas!!"

I don't know, maybe it is an attempt at comedy, but since we've all seen stuff like that done in all seriousness it's easy to believe that even if they're trying to be funny they still mean that stuff.
The thing is, right there at the top of the article it says it's comedy, the author says it's humorous.
Regardless of how HuffPo is normally, or generalizations about the "PC crowd," or "liberals," it's just a funny piece, categorized as funny. Some levity for the holiday season.

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 13455732)

Just a quick google search. Maybe this is listed by the site as comedy too, but I didn't see it. Plus, some of the examples, like Silence of the Lambs, seem to be serious, especially considering that it was boycotted at the time of release by the LGBT community.

Here's another one about cartoons.

On the Looney Tunes spin-off Tiny Toons, there was Babs Bunny, a pink bunny with bows on her ears who wore frilly white panties on Fridays and had a thing for Buster Bunny. And on Looney Tunes, Daffy Duck was hot for Melissa Duck, a busty blonde duck who in other episodes appeared as a redheaded character named “Femme Fatale” or “The Body.”

Hell, even pseudo-feminist Frozen has been charged with latent sexism in how its continues to portray the feminine form and features.
Then there was the Ms. Magazine article wondering why the Amazons were attractive, and why couldn't Wonder Woman be a fat, black, lesbian?

Dan 12-04-18 08:39 PM

If one really believes that any of those comments are dead serious (they're not, but... suspension of disbelief, and all that...) and that "PC liberalism" is the problem, what exactly do you call someone who wants to shut down the free exchange of ideas regarding an old politically-themed cartoon? Someone who thinks people are going too far by proposing ideas that are against the status quo?

Hmmmm.... It's almost like that kind of person wants others to correct their behavior/speech for the sake of their own political feelings.

Damn, I wish there was a term for that. It would make it easier to identify their unjustified outrage.

And :lol: smacking a woman's ass is not worthy of attention, but randoms on Twitter commenting about Rudolph is the end of the fucking world.
:lol: as they say on Twitter: THIS SITE IS FREE :lol: :lol:

B5Erik 12-04-18 08:46 PM

I'm in favor of the free expression of ideas and saying what you feel - as long as you're not shitting on someone's funeral.

It's like the Westboro Baptist Assholes. Fuck those people. You have a right to express your opinions, but not at someone's fucking funeral, assholes! I was at Ronnie James Dio's public memorial, and those assholes were out on the street peddling their usual garbage.

I'm just lucky I was inside the hall because if I had walked across those people I would have likely decked a couple of them and been taken to jail.

brayzie 12-04-18 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13455760)
I'm in favor of the free expression of ideas and saying what you feel - as long as you're not shitting on someone's funeral.

But none of the DVDTalk members were at H.W. Bush's funeral.

Anyway, I re-watched some clips on of the Rudolph cartoon, and yeah, Santa is kind of a jerk in that movie.
He was way more compassionate in Miracle on 24th Street.
Still, I love old school claymation cartoons, and especially old Christmas movies, so it's still a classic to me.

stvn1974 12-04-18 08:53 PM

Santa was a dick. The head elf was a dick. Rudolph's father was a dick. The reindeer coach was a dick. The other reindeer children were dicks. Santa was a dick right up to when he announced Christmas was canceled but then Rudolph's nose glows and dick Santa realizes that he can use him to guide his sleigh. Fuck that, Rudolph should have told them all to get fucked and left with Clarice to get busy.

Nick Danger 12-04-18 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13455760)

It's like the Westboro Baptist Assholes. Fuck those people. You have a right to express your opinions, but not at someone's fucking funeral, assholes! I was at Ronnie James Dio's public memorial, and those assholes were out on the street peddling their usual garbage.

I'm just lucky I was inside the hall because if I had walked across those people I would have likely decked a couple of them and been taken to jail.

Seriously, don't touch the WBC assholes. They get their income by suing people. I'd rather you got to keep your house.

brayzie 12-04-18 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by stvn1974 (Post 13455763)
Santa was a dick. The head elf was a dick. Rudolph's father was a dick. The reindeer coach was a dick. The other reindeer children were dicks. Santa was a dick right up to when he announced Christmas was canceled but then Rudolph's nose glows and dick Santa realizes that he can use him to guide his sleigh. Fuck that, Rudolph should have told them all to get fucked and left with Clarice to get busy.

I know it was just a cartoon, but why was him having a glowing red nose a problem for Santa? I get why the other reindeer bullied him, children are awful.
The head elf, and the coach, okay, you have to have some sort of conflict for the main character.
But why was Santa the same way? The one character that you would think WOULDN'T judge someone by their appearance, and yet, he does.