Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

PC EVERYTHING Has Gone Too Far!!! Also: Starbucks cups are OFFENSIVE

Old 12-11-18, 07:54 AM

re: PC EVERYTHING Has Gone Too Far!!! Also: Starbucks cups are OFFENSIVE

A controversial ice cream shop is closing its doors in Montclair, and the owner is blaming “extremist radical liberals” for the business' demise.

Dairy Air on Bloomfield Avenue was open for one year.

The business had been criticized for its logo that some called demeaning to women, with some locals calling it "offensive and sickening."

In an interview with NorthJersey.com, the owner says he never had a chance, blaming “extremist radical liberals” for the business' demise.
http://newjersey.news12.com/story/39...3XkNEYuh3fWuso

Old 12-11-18, 08:08 AM

Wow, that was the entire article? I thought there'd be more than four lines.

There's not much to go on here, but based on the limited info (it would have been nice to actually hear from one of the "extremist radical liberals" who supposedly shut this place down), neither side looks that good. While this might be another case of exaggerated Internet outrage, the guy picked a pretty poor name and logo for his business.

I agree with whoever said the logo was "offensive and sickening" (and, again, it would have been good to hear from someone who said it), but I'm less sure it was particularly demeaning to women.
Old 12-11-18, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by GhostLee View Post

There's not much to go on here, but based on the limited info (it would have been nice to actually hear from one of the "extremist radical liberals" who supposedly shut this place down), neither side looks that good. While this might be another case of exaggerated Internet outrage, the guy picked a pretty poor name and logo for his business.

I agree with whoever said the logo was "offensive and sickening" (and, again, it would have been good to hear from someone who said it), but I'm less sure it was particularly demeaning to women.
Here is more about it: https://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...ls/2267995002/

The original site I saw it on was just a news station. Their "articles" usually are just what they read on air.
Old 12-11-18, 08:15 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

The building's landlord, Joe Wang, was at the store Sunday evening meeting with prospective tenants. He attributed the closing of Dairy Air to its business hours, pointing to a sign that showed it was open only Thursday through Sunday every week. "They couldn't pay the rent with their limited hours," he said.
Opening your store for limited hours to own the libs.
Old 12-11-18, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
My favorite thing is seeing people talk about going back to the "good ole days "..."When people RESPECTED each other"..."We all treated our neighbors with kindness".

But then those same folks will lose their shit when the "PC Folks" suggest that people now evolve in their thinking and word usage because we now see how "disrespectful" and "unkind" some thinking and certain words are now.
The PC crowd is winning and they don't even realize it. Everything does evolve as each generation sort of filters out certain words or catch phrases that the previous one used. The problem is the PC crowd goes crazy on that previous generation, instead of understanding them and dealing without the mob mentality we see today.

For example, everyone's grandparents I knew growing up were racists. Whether it was my white friends, black friends, Asian friends, they were all racists that used words that none of us used. They all were against mixed marriages, and were not PC at all. We never screamed at them when they talked like that, you sort of rolled your eyes and said, "You can't use those words anymore......" But my point is our generation wasn't throwing the N word around, or calling white people honkies, or calling Asian people chinks, or saying gay people were tinkerbells. Those words were all used by previous generations, and they were pretty much gone by the time I was growing up.

The same goes for Kevin Hart as he was probably brought up in a religious African-american household where being gay was just wrong to them. I guarantee his kids will feel much differently towards the subject, but that's the point about evolving as is he started to see how things have changed. I'm sure that deep down inside him there will always be some homophobia in Kevin Hart, but again I guarantee he looks at it much differently then those tweets from 2009-2011. So instead of understanding the guy, the mob mentality calls him out like he should be banished forever (not literally), and all it does it create a split that further drives people apart, where they are ironically much closer then we think.

Last edited by coli; 12-11-18 at 08:28 AM.
Old 12-11-18, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Do the Oscars owe Kevin Hart a chance to host? Do past words and actions have any effect on current employment? It’s not like this was 50 years ago. 2011 wasn’t the Dark Ages.

Why is it so wrong to hold Hart accountable for what he said to the entire world? Especially, and let’s be honest here, for an event that is held in high regard by the homosexual community?

He can certainly learn and grow and whatever but that doesn’t mean he automatically gets to host the Oscars too.
Old 12-11-18, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think it is offensive so much as just stupid. Anything that even remotely suggests that what you are eating is coming out of a cow's ass is not going to sell product like hotcakes.
Old 12-11-18, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Do the Oscars owe Kevin Hart a chance to host? Do past words and actions have any effect on current employment? It’s not like this was 50 years ago. 2011 wasn’t the Dark Ages.

Why is it so wrong to hold Hart accountable for what he said to the entire world? Especially, and let’s be honest here, for an event that is held in high regard by the homosexual community?

He can certainly learn and grow and whatever but that doesn’t mean he automatically gets to host the Oscars too.
The Oscars have a total right to do what they want to do, but it's a slippery slope because what is the line on previous controversial comments? Should Mel Gibson be able to be nominated after his anti-semetic comments? Why was Roman Polanski's nominated for Best Director for 'The Piano' in 2003 after he fled the country after being accused of drugging and raping a teenager? I could go through a laundry list of shit that Hollywood have done that are on par with Kevin Hart's comments, so where is the line you are going to draw in the sand?
Old 12-11-18, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, it is a post that has cups to go with the title.
Old 12-11-18, 09:00 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonX View Post
I don't think it is offensive so much as just stupid. Anything that even remotely suggests that what you are eating is coming out of a cow's ass is not going to sell product like hotcakes.

^ no no no. How DARE you blame this man for his own shitty (heh) branding, not to mention being closed for business 3 days a week. That's not fair! It's the LIBERALS! The LEFT! They made it happen!

edit: Also... the cow looks a bit phallic... in a way...
Old 12-11-18, 09:07 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
That was excellent and encapsulates the issue quite well
Old 12-11-18, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

With that attitude they picked the wrong neighborhood to open that store. That area of Montclair is very trendy and gentrified.
It has coffee shops, vegan restaurants, and an arthouse theatre that I go to once in a while.
Old 12-11-18, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What is that, like, jumbo sized dippin dots? Doesn't look appetizing to me in the least
Old 12-11-18, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
What is that, like, jumbo sized dippin dots? Doesn't look appetizing to me in the least
They look like Dragon's Breath, that novelty that lets you blow smoke more so than an actual snack.
Old 12-11-18, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by coli View Post
The Oscars have a total right to do what they want to do, but it's a slippery slope because what is the line on previous controversial comments? Should Mel Gibson be able to be nominated after his anti-semetic comments? Why was Roman Polanski's nominated for Best Director for 'The Piano' in 2003 after he fled the country after being accused of drugging and raping a teenager? I could go through a laundry list of shit that Hollywood have done that are on par with Kevin Hart's comments, so where is the line you are going to draw in the sand?
Yes, Mel Gibson should not be nominated and yes, Roman Polanski should not be nominated. Let's hope the Academy continues to learn from mistakes like that.
Old 12-11-18, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thank God there was no social media before I turned 19. I was a virulent homophobe. I was also ignorant as fuck, no doubt, and said a ton of hateful, bigoted garbage towards the LGBT+ community. I also lived in an 80s culture in which these attitudes were not only permissible but accepted.

That's the shame I have to live with -- along with the realization that I learned how fucking wrong, hateful, and bigoted I was and, as a result, changed my attitudes, beliefs, and thought processes for the better.

People can and do evolve from where and who they were in the past. I'll be 48 next month but if I had to be judged by the person I was at 18, I'd be horrified at first, but I'd also argue that if we don't accept the positive and pervasive nature of change that exists in anyone and everyone, then we ALL go to Hell.
Old 12-11-18, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Thank God there was no social media before I turned 19. I was a virulent homophobe. I was also ignorant as fuck, no doubt, and said a ton of hateful, bigoted garbage towards the LGBT+ community. I also lived in an 80s culture in which these attitudes were not only permissible but accepted.

That's the shame I have to live with -- along with the realization that I learned how fucking wrong, hateful, and bigoted I was and, as a result, changed my attitudes, beliefs, and thought processes for the better.

People can and do evolve from where and who they were in the past. I'll be 48 next month but if I had to be judged by the person I was at 18, I'd be horrified at first, but I'd also argue that if we don't accept the positive and pervasive nature of change that exists in anyone and everyone, then we ALL go to Hell.
Yeah, what he posted. I will add racism to my sins, not just homophobic attitudes.
Old 12-11-18, 11:14 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Excellent post. I'm... younger... than you. The Internet just started to hit its stride in the mid-90s with chat rooms, IRC, etc. Lucky for me, archives of some of the places I remember are non-existent today. I wouldn't say I was virulent about this stuff, but I definitely had nonchalant bad views about LGBT+ and also race, and I don't think I was too shy about it. I remember pulling the "hate the sin, love the sinner" bullshit. And I had family members that would say insanely racist things like it was no big deal at all.

As such, of course I also believe that people can evolve and learn from reflecting on those views, and I'm open to people being forgiven for that shit, especially when a big part of it is that they're a product of their situations (as giantrobo said, Kevin Hart was playing to a part of his audience that finds those things funny, and there's reasons for that). Racism is learned. Homophobia is learned. Transphobia is learned. etc. so when someone denounces those shitty views, I'm on board for giving them a for it, even if it sometimes seems like it took them far too long to get to that point (we all grow in different ways, at different times...).
I think it should be more about how you react if/when your sordid history comes to light. Do you dismiss it as "that was just a sign of the times" or acknowledge it as "I had those shitty views, and I don't anymore and sincerely regret them, doing what I can to spread love and kindness now," or dig in and say "That was me, and I'm sorry you're offended. I regret saying it because trolls will latch onto anything to make you look bad. I don't use those words in public anymore" or anything in between.

I think it's nuanced, and it's good to hold people accountable when it's appropriate to do so, just as it's good to forgive and move on when it's clear that change has happened.

And, as I quoted elsewhere in this thread, it's perfectly OK, and even necessary, to enjoy the media/movies/shows/music/games you like, even LOVE them, while acknowledging their more pernicious aspects. That's what makes us human. To ignore it outright, or handwave it as nothing, or staunchly DEFEND every aspect of it... that's fanaticism and one aspect of cultivated identity.

I also think "internet mobs" are fucking fierce and shitty and Social Media is the worst. Regular folks aren't meant to have "followers" who signal boost and parrot their bullshit. We're meant to have friends that we talk TO, not write AT.
Old 12-11-18, 11:21 AM

My friends and I were joking that we are so glad social media didn't exist when we grew up in the late 80's/90's. We did and said a lot of stupid shit as teenagers, just like 99% of every kid that age. I don't post much on Social Media to begin with (other then Sports Stories and Star Wars stuff) so I think I would have been fine even back then, but I have a lot of dumb friends who would said really stupid shit, and would have even posted stuff that we did on weekends (drinking, doing drugs, going to parties, etc). But this is what the SJW's want, so it's open season on anyone these days and it's the world we live in now.

Other then photos and my Yearbook (which after the Kavanaugh hearings is buried away in my attic now), there is no record of my life before I was 35 years old!
Old 12-11-18, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

As has been pointed out numerous times, Hart's reaction to this was the problem. Americans are good at forgiveness. As long as you don't come out with "I'm sorry if people were offended" non-apologies, you can usually get by.

I would hope that those of you who were racist and homophobic in your youth (which wasn't 7 years ago, I assume, like it was with Hart) would legitimately apologize for what you said if it came to light today. He didn't do that.
Old 12-11-18, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post

The original site I saw it on was just a news station. Their "articles" usually are just what they read on air.
This article makes it sound like only the owners of one business were protesting Dairy Air, and they're closing their doors this month too (without resorting to blaming the Radical Right Agenda).
Old 12-11-18, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would hope that those of you who were racist and homophobic in your youth (which wasn't 7 years ago, I assume, like it was with Hart) would legitimately apologize for what you said if it came to light today. He didn't do that.
I only wish my youth was 7 years ago...

I'd apologize. Easily. For the person I was, not the person I've become. Anyone can evolve.

I also agree that these "non-apologies" can go pound sand.
Old 12-11-18, 01:10 PM

Americans are good at forgiveness. .
Americans usually are, but not when it comes to stuff like this. Just think that Norm MacDonald got banned from the Jimmy Fallon Show (or asked to leave to be more precise) because his producers were crying from his controversial comments about Roseanne and Louis CK. Now I didn't agree with Norm's comments (I understood what he was trying to say but I didn't agree), but he wasn't the one who was sexually harassing women like Louis or making racial remarks like Roseanne, he was just asked to give his opinion regarding his friends. He essentially got asked to leave the Tonight Show because he gave an opinion on a subject that pertains to everyone these days. I also disagree with you as Social Media has only made it worse because people have a microphone 24/7 to bitch and moan about this stuff and sometimes it seems bigger then it really is, much like internet message boards.

I love Norm MacDonald mostly cause he's an edgy comic (who isn't for everyone), but the SJW's did a number on him as I guarantee he won't say anything controversial anymore cause it aint worth it. That's the fine line I worry about because comics are all about pushing the boundaries and some go over the line. But we don't want everyone to play it safe because then we get Jimmy Fallon (check the thread about him in the Movie Forum and you'll know what I'm talking about).
Old 12-11-18, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post

Thanks for the link. I was about to give up all hope for journalism after reading the first story.

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Opening your store for limited hours to own the libs.
Yeah, pretty much this.
Old 12-11-18, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You know, it's funny. For all the shit I take here I was never the least bit racist even as a teenager. I had 3 Hispanic girlfriends, asked out black girls and Asian girls, I didn't look at any ethnic group as inherently inferior, didn't treat anyone from any ethnic group differently than anyone else - to me people are people. Some good, some bad.

I never understood racism. Never got it. Still don't.

As for the LGBT crowd, I didn't feel comfortable around them as a teenager - that's part of being immature and needing experience to grow up - but there was only one guy I ever got violent with, and that's because he was extremely flamboyant (a, "Flamer, as we would have said back then), and he enjoyed getting in my face and flaming on. He thought my reaction was funny - it was almost a form of bullying, so one day I snapped and shoved him hard into a wall and yelled at him to back the hell off or I'd kick his ass. I felt bad because he started crying, but he was intentionally pushing my buttons just to get off on my reaction and I had had enough.

After that I kind of understood him a little better and just gave him a wide berth. He only did what he did preemptively to lash out because he was really a sad person pretending to be all upbeat and enthusiastic.

That was the one time I had any kind of an issue with anyone from the LGBT community.

Like I said, I've always treated people like people, and I've never understood looking at groups differently. Every group has good people and every group has assholes.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.