Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

PC EVERYTHING Has Gone Too Far!!! Also: Starbucks cups are OFFENSIVE

Old 12-09-18, 05:52 PM
  #176  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,275
re: PC EVERYTHING Has Gone Too Far!!! Also: Starbucks cups are OFFENSIVE

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
The left has the courts on their side. The right has a few crackpot politicians who will get nowhere in banning anything.

Nothing that the religious right wants banned ever gets banned. Tons of stuff that the PC left wants banned gets banned. Songs disappear from playlists, movies get withdrawn from circulation. TV shows are permabanned. The success rate on the left is far greater than the success rate on the right.

You are correct in stating that the religious right attempts to ban tons of stuff - but they never succeed. They work themselves up into a frenzy, make a lot of noise, and then go away.
I would think youíre conflating things being banned with those who own them voluntarily removing them from the market, except you throw in the bit about liberal courts. I guess I still think youíre conflating them, but you also seem confused beyond that. For a point of reference, could you name something you believe the left has succeeded in having banned?
maxfisher is offline  
Old 12-09-18, 05:56 PM
  #177  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
stvn1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 4,526
re: PC EVERYTHING Has Gone Too Far!!! Also: Starbucks cups are OFFENSIVE

I would like to thank Tipper Gore for making the record labels put parental advisory stickers on music so my teenage self would know which albums I needed to buy.
stvn1974 is offline  
Old 12-09-18, 05:59 PM
  #178  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: This side of hell
Posts: 161
re: PC EVERYTHING Has Gone Too Far!!! Also: Starbucks cups are OFFENSIVE

Originally Posted by JasonX View Post
This is the problem with things now, most things donít have a second side. 2 + 2 = 4 and anyone on the other side of the other side of that is wrong. Evolution happened and anyone saying teachers should present Creationism as a valid argument is a fool. Teachers should teach facts, not crackpot arguments that have no basis in reality.
See, that's what those academic libtards would have you believe. You see in my conservative black heart I Feel that 2 + 2 = 7.
Rare Breed22 is offline  
Old 12-09-18, 06:08 PM
  #179  
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 45,370
re: PC EVERYTHING Has Gone Too Far!!! Also: Starbucks cups are OFFENSIVE

Originally Posted by JasonX View Post
This is the problem with things now, most things don’t have a second side. 2 + 2 = 4 and anyone on the other side of the other side of that is wrong.
Sorry dude, but you're wrong.

inri222 is offline  
Old 12-09-18, 07:10 PM
  #180  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 1,121
re: PC EVERYTHING Has Gone Too Far!!! Also: Starbucks cups are OFFENSIVE

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
I guarantee you that Disney would make 10 times as much on sales as the mastering and production would cost them. They might not sell as many copies as they would have 10 years ago, but these things still sell in big enough numbers to make a significant profit.
And you would be entirely wrong because you know nothing about this topic. Why do you think Disney releases such films as Swiss Family Robinson or Mighty Ducks on blu-ray only through their exclusive club? Itís because they donít sell many copies, so Disney will see more through direct sales than actually having a general release. Criterion knowingly losses money on some releases because they think they are important and warrant release. Why do you think major studios are licensing major releases (that sold large quantity on DVD) to small independent studios? Itís because they can make more in the licensing rights, which is rather paltry on a single title basis, than they can actually releasing that title.

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
No one that I saw. Of course, I don't give a rip what religious zealots say so there could have been some small protest that went nowhere and I would never have known about it.

I'm pretty sure there was never a protest or boycott that significantly impacted the sales of Frozen on DVD & Blu Ray.
Your argument has now boiled down to ďI donít pay attention to the protests of religious zealotsĒ but I think the ďPC LeftĒ seriously wants to ban Rudolff the Red Nosed Reindeer because they are crazy and evil in trying to force their views on others. Do I have that about right?
JasonX is offline  
Old 12-09-18, 10:24 PM
  #181  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Vibiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 13,677
re: PC EVERYTHING Has Gone Too Far!!! Also: Starbucks cups are OFFENSIVE

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
I would like to thank Tipper Gore for making the record labels put parental advisory stickers on music so my teenage self would know which albums I needed to buy.


I was twenty or so when that happened, but I remember thinking how ridiculous it was.
Vibiana is offline  
Old 12-09-18, 10:46 PM
  #182  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 8,654
re: PC EVERYTHING Has Gone Too Far!!! Also: Starbucks cups are OFFENSIVE

Originally Posted by JasonX View Post
And you would be entirely wrong because you know nothing about this topic. Why do you think Disney releases such films as Swiss Family Robinson or Mighty Ducks on blu-ray only through their exclusive club? Itís because they donít sell many copies, so Disney will see more through direct sales than actually having a general release. Criterion knowingly losses money on some releases because they think they are important and warrant release. Why do you think major studios are licensing major releases (that sold large quantity on DVD) to small independent studios? Itís because they can make more in the licensing rights, which is rather paltry on a single title basis, than they can actually releasing that title.
So, by your logic, these independent home video companies should be out of business by the end of 2019 since they can't make any money on these things. I mean, if the major studios can't make money off them and they don't have to pay licensing fees, how in the world can these small companies survive?
B5Erik is offline  
Old 12-09-18, 11:07 PM
  #183  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 1,121
re: PC EVERYTHING Has Gone Too Far!!! Also: Starbucks cups are OFFENSIVE

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
So, by your logic, these independent home video companies should be out of business by the end of 2019 since they can't make any money on these things. I mean, if the major studios can't make money off them and they don't have to pay licensing fees, how in the world can these small companies survive?
People who think they know better without doing any research really are infuriating. Twilight Time is a few man operation. Their gross profits, let alone net, for the year are a small rounding error to Disney. If Disney canít turn a significant profit, they donít care. It isnít that they would make no money off a release, it is that they would make so little money (in scale to their business), they are completely indifferent. The number of releases Disney are sitting on is staggering. 99.9% of these are not at all controversial in any way. By your logic, all those movies and TV shows would have seen release. There is so little money in their release, Disney doesnít care to do it. How else do you explain it?
JasonX is offline  
Old 12-09-18, 11:55 PM
  #184  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 8,654
re: PC EVERYTHING Has Gone Too Far!!! Also: Starbucks cups are OFFENSIVE

Originally Posted by JasonX View Post
People who think they know better without doing any research really are infuriating. Twilight Time is a few man operation. Their gross profits, let alone net, for the year are a small rounding error to Disney. If Disney can’t turn a significant profit, they don’t care. It isn’t that they would make no money off a release, it is that they would make so little money (in scale to their business), they are completely indifferent. The number of releases Disney are sitting on is staggering. 99.9% of these are not at all controversial in any way. By your logic, all those movies and TV shows would have seen release. There is so little money in their release, Disney doesn’t care to do it. How else do you explain it?
With Song of the South it's more trouble than it's worth.

Disney has released most of the movies in their catalog on home video in one format or another (most of them on multiple formats). Song of the South is one of the only titles to never see a home video release (maybe even the only full length movie in their catalog not to see a home video release). The only reason for that is that the profits they'd make from the release aren't worth the headaches of the protests and boycotts that would ensue.

Taking it a step further, if studios make more money licensing tertiary titles to companies like Kino Lorber or Criterion, why hasn't Disney done that with Song of the South?

Because they don't want it out there due to the shitstorm that would result from it's release. They're caving to pressure from people who don't want the movie ever released again because they see it as offensive for politically correct reasons.

Is the movie really offensive? The small parts that I've seen aren't offensive at all. Certainly no more so than any movie taking place in that era. That era was offensive in a lot of regards, should we just forget it? Not allow any movies about that time at all because blacks were subservient to whites? It's a part of our country's past that was unfair and shouldn't have happened the way it did, but we should learn from it and move forward.
B5Erik is offline  
Old 12-10-18, 06:54 AM
  #185  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,491
re: PC EVERYTHING Has Gone Too Far!!! Also: Starbucks cups are OFFENSIVE

When I was a kid there was a cartoon called "Deputy Dawg". There was a character on the show who was a mole and would always say "It's possible". I got in the habit of responding to questions with "it's possible" with the mole character's voice.

Looney Tunes had a character called Egghead. He would always say "It's Amazing" in a particular way. I got in the habit of saying that all the time in Egghead voice.

I also got in the habit of repeating in Yogi Bear voice, "Hey Booboo. Let's go get some pic-I-nic baskets."

I'm all grown up now. 60 years old and still use these phrases almost everyday.

Think it'll rain?
"It's possible" (in mole voice)

What did you think of Avengers: Infinity War
"It's Amaaazinnng!" (in Egghead voice)

"Hey Booboo. hand me the remote"

When it comes to classic cartoons and little kids, I wonder if they wouldn't mimic and repeat the stuff they see.
Some kid sees some old cartoons and starts saying "Ahh so" in oriental voice. Or kid shows up at school taking like Amos and Andy, "Yessum boss" because he saw some old cartoons the night before. Being a kid, he's doesn't know better.
rw2516 is offline  
Old 12-10-18, 07:13 AM
  #186  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 1,121
re: PC EVERYTHING Has Gone Too Far!!! Also: Starbucks cups are OFFENSIVE

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
With Song of the South it's more trouble than it's worth.
Exactly, because there is so little money in it to begin with.

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
Disney has released most of the movies in their catalog on home video in one format or another (most of them on multiple formats). Song of the South is one of the only titles to never see a home video release (maybe even the only full length movie in their catalog not to see a home video release). The only reason for that is that the profits they'd make from the release aren't worth the headaches of the protests and boycotts that would ensue.

Taking it a step further, if studios make more money licensing tertiary titles to companies like Kino Lorber or Criterion, why hasn't Disney done that with Song of the South?
Song of the South has had home video releases in various territories, just not in North America. There are also tons of movies and shows that Disney owns that have never seen release. I could be wrong, but I believe Disney no longer licenses movies out to other studios without exception. If their policy is not to license anything, why would they make an exception to that for one film?
JasonX is offline  
Old 12-10-18, 08:35 AM
  #187  
DVD Talk Legend
 
hdnmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cygnus
Posts: 12,522
re: PC EVERYTHING Has Gone Too Far!!! Also: Starbucks cups are OFFENSIVE

Originally Posted by JasonX View Post
People who think they know better without doing any research really are infuriating. Twilight Time is a few man operation. Their gross profits, let alone net, for the year are a small rounding error to Disney. If Disney canít turn a significant profit, they donít care. It isnít that they would make no money off a release, it is that they would make so little money (in scale to their business), they are completely indifferent. The number of releases Disney are sitting on is staggering. 99.9% of these are not at all controversial in any way.
This.

Originally Posted by JasonX View Post
Song of the South has had home video releases in various territories, just not in North America. There are also tons of movies and shows that Disney owns that have never seen release. I could be wrong, but I believe Disney no longer licenses movies out to other studios without exception. If their policy is not to license anything, why would they make an exception to that for one film?
This again. I remember owning a copy of The Black Hole put out by Anchor Bay. And still have the Criterion DVD's of Armageddon and The Rock. If anybody was going to release any Disney movie on home video these days it's going to be Disney. Including, as posted earlier, via their own movie club and/or rewards program.
hdnmickey is offline  
Old 12-10-18, 10:27 AM
  #188  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 16,173
re: PC EVERYTHING Has Gone Too Far!!! Also: Starbucks cups are OFFENSIVE

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
It never had a US home video release.

(but it is pretty easy to find if you are looking for it)
^ this

My point was Song of South is legally freely available in many countries today, just not in the United States. It has not been "erased from existence" it was simply removed from the US market. Check ebay, its all over

but pages have gone by since I posted, no time to keep up

Disney only apparently fears backlash from the US market.
4KRG is offline  
Old 12-10-18, 10:54 AM
  #189  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 16,173
re: PC EVERYTHING Has Gone Too Far!!! Also: Starbucks cups are OFFENSIVE

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
I would think youíre conflating things being banned with those who own them voluntarily removing them from the market,

This is the new society. Mostly caused by social media and BOTH sides use this weapon to attack each other.

Certain things are not "banned' as that would be a direct assault on 'freedom', but what happens is one side or the other picks something they do not like or do not agree with, they then find reasons to belittle or shame the other side about the topic, and if any of that goes viral or catches on social media, then that forces 'the market' (if that is the term you want to use) to react in the way they feel it will affect profits, and it all appears "voluntarily" (but we know that simply isn't true)

I personally do not like that way this is changing our society. Not blaming one side or the other because this is just how both sides function now.

This is just a form of adult bullying.

There are examples of success and failure on both sides of the fence with this tactic.
4KRG is offline  
Old 12-10-18, 11:34 AM
  #190  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
joeblow69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Palm Springs
Posts: 8,070
re: PC EVERYTHING Has Gone Too Far!!! Also: Starbucks cups are OFFENSIVE

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
Certain things are not "banned' as that would be a direct assault on 'freedom', but what happens is one side or the other picks something they do not like or do not agree with, they then find reasons to belittle or shame the other side about the topic, and if any of that goes viral or catches on social media, then that forces 'the market' (if that is the term you want to use) to react in the way they feel it will affect profits, and it all appears "voluntarily" (but we know that simply isn't true)
But that's the free market, man! What's the alternative, force companies to sell things they think are bad for their bottom line?
joeblow69 is offline  
Old 12-10-18, 11:46 AM
  #191  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Kurt D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,295
re: PC EVERYTHING Has Gone Too Far!!! Also: Starbucks cups are OFFENSIVE

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
But that's the free market, man! What's the alternative, force companies to sell things they think are bad for their bottom line?
Yes, but it's also the free market on idiot steroids.

The Internet's contribution to accelerating emotionality and reaction time to almost nothing has really hurt our culture, country, society, etc.

In other words, where once we said "Think before you speak" now we tend to speak before we think, and the reaction is usually fast, out-sized and indelible.
Kurt D is offline  
Old 12-10-18, 11:56 AM
  #192  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,192
re: PC EVERYTHING Has Gone Too Far!!! Also: Starbucks cups are OFFENSIVE

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
But that's the free market, man! What's the alternative, force companies to sell things they think are bad for their bottom line?
Well, the difference here is that you have a minority saying what should not be sold to the majority. Such as a popular "parent friendly" organization who nobody has had the balls to fight, and the companies just pull/ban the products from their stores because they couldn't care less and it makes them look like a "caring corporation". If anything, these forced-product pulls hide the true corporate mentality.

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
This is the new society. Mostly caused by social media and BOTH sides use this weapon to attack each other.

Certain things are not "banned' as that would be a direct assault on 'freedom', but what happens is one side or the other picks something they do not like or do not agree with, they then find reasons to belittle or shame the other side about the topic, and if any of that goes viral or catches on social media, then that forces 'the market' (if that is the term you want to use) to react in the way they feel it will affect profits, and it all appears "voluntarily" (but we know that simply isn't true)

I personally do not like that way this is changing our society. Not blaming one side or the other because this is just how both sides function now.

This is just a form of adult bullying.

There are examples of success and failure on both sides of the fence with this tactic.
I would agree, but I do blame both sides. Both sides are making society difficult for the rest of us. These people can buy whatever they want and live wherever they choose because the rules don't apply to them.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 12-10-18, 11:56 AM
  #193  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
joeblow69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Palm Springs
Posts: 8,070
re: PC EVERYTHING Has Gone Too Far!!! Also: Starbucks cups are OFFENSIVE

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
Yes, but it's also the free market on idiot steroids.

The Internet's contribution to accelerating emotionality and reaction time to almost nothing has really hurt our culture, country, society, etc.

In other words, where once we said "Think before you speak" now we tend to speak before we think, and the reaction is usually fast, out-sized and indelible.
But don't you think we are moving back to "Think before you speak"? Or at least "Think before you post"? That's the whole point of calling people out on social media for their racism. It's getting people to realize "Hey, maybe I shouldn't publicly post my horribly racist views ... that might come back to bite me in the ass".

And with regards to Song of the South ... eventually the copyright will run out, and it will be available anywhere, in any format. Disney has no obligation to make their movies available to you as long as they hold the copyright. You can all speed up the process by electing officials that pledge to decrease copyright length.
joeblow69 is offline  
Old 12-10-18, 12:48 PM
  #194  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Kurt D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,295
re: PC EVERYTHING Has Gone Too Far!!! Also: Starbucks cups are OFFENSIVE

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
But don't you think we are moving back to "Think before you speak"? Or at least "Think before you post"? That's the whole point of calling people out on social media for their racism. It's getting people to realize "Hey, maybe I shouldn't publicly post my horribly racist views ... that might come back to bite me in the ass".
Definitely trying to! And hopefully people can learn why certain views are wrong. Crossing fingers.
Kurt D is offline  
Old 12-10-18, 01:04 PM
  #195  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
joeblow69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Palm Springs
Posts: 8,070
re: PC EVERYTHING Has Gone Too Far!!! Also: Starbucks cups are OFFENSIVE

Oh! This is dumb, but hear me out. I just watched the Davinci Code for the first time the other night. It reminded me, the Catholic Church has a Secret Vatican Archive that contains all sorts of things that are not available to the public. Kind of puts the argument "Disney won't let me watch Song of the South" in a different view ...
joeblow69 is offline  
Old 12-10-18, 01:48 PM
  #196  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 56,650
re: PC EVERYTHING Has Gone Too Far!!! Also: Starbucks cups are OFFENSIVE

My favorite thing is seeing people talk about going back to the "good ole days "..."When people RESPECTED each other"..."We all treated our neighbors with kindness".

But then those same folks will lose their shit when the "PC Folks" suggest that people now evolve in their thinking and word usage because we now see how "disrespectful" and "unkind" some thinking and certain words are now.
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 12-10-18, 02:01 PM
  #197  
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 45,370
re: PC EVERYTHING Has Gone Too Far!!! Also: Starbucks cups are OFFENSIVE

Oh the hypocrisy...

inri222 is offline  
Old 12-10-18, 02:15 PM
  #198  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Hokeyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 18,855
re: PC EVERYTHING Has Gone Too Far!!! Also: Starbucks cups are OFFENSIVE

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
Not banned, per se, but, yeah - for about a year they had a hard time getting gigs IN SOME AREAS. Not everywhere, not even in a majority of places, but in some places they couldn't get gigs. For about a year.
Just a correction on this: 2 Live Crew records were banned. They were illegal to purchase in Broward County during the height of the insanity.

I was there (18-19) when this went down. Some of us will never forget Nick Navarro and Bob Martinez... both Republicans, for whatever that's worth.

You know what's interesting? At my university the year before, a college DJ (undergrad) was fired for playing 2 Live Crew's "One and One" on the air. The cry came entirely from the Left, claiming the song is obscene, sexist, homophobic, etc.. Beyond all that, it was a clear FCC violation and the DJ was rightly fired.

(Apropos of nothing but I was also fired from the radio station, but under entirely different circumstances...)

Anyway, a year later the Florida Controversy occurred, and the same College Left who cheered the firing of the DJ suddenly made Luther Campbell the poster child for the Free Speech movement.

Hmm...
Hokeyboy is offline  
Old 12-10-18, 05:02 PM
  #199  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 30,248
re: PC EVERYTHING Has Gone Too Far!!! Also: Starbucks cups are OFFENSIVE

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
My favorite thing is seeing people talk about going back to the "good ole days "..."When people RESPECTED each other"..."We all treated our neighbors with kindness".
Yes, the good old days...



Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay
My, oh, my, what a wonderful day
Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 12-10-18, 05:17 PM
  #200  
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 45,370
re: PC EVERYTHING Has Gone Too Far!!! Also: Starbucks cups are OFFENSIVE

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
My favorite thing is seeing people talk about going back to the "good ole days "..."When people RESPECTED each other"..."We all treated our neighbors with kindness".
I'm sure that straight white Christians would agree.
inri222 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.