Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

PC EVERYTHING Has Gone Too Far!!! Also: Starbucks cups are OFFENSIVE

Old 12-08-18, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

re: PC EVERYTHING Has Gone Too Far!!! Also: Starbucks cups are OFFENSIVE

I suprised that there isn't a mass exit from Social Media from famous people. Social Media is ruining the careers of alot of people (fairly or unfairly) and I really don't think it benefits their career by putting their opinions out there? I follow some 'B' actors who are less well known and they never post any opinion as they only Tweet to promote some new movie or TV show they have coming up. If I were a famous person, I would zip it on my personal views and just use it as a promotional tool no different then going on Late Night or Good Morning America. In saying that, I don't post any political opinions on my Twitter (and I'm a nobody) as I just post sports stories, or stupid/funny pop culture memes. These actors need to learn this or more of them are going to hurt their careers putting their opinions out there that can't be erased.
Old 12-08-18, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
at the thread title change
Release the mob.

Old 12-08-18, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is this movie no longer acceptable?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RBmJGJ-CpHM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-08-18, 07:54 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

"It's both possible, and even necessary, to simultaneously enjoy media while also being critical of its more problematic or pernicious aspects."

People seem to have a hard time understanding that.
Old 12-08-18, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"It's both possible, and even necessary, to simultaneously enjoy media while also being critical of its more problematic or pernicious aspects."

People seem to have a hard time understanding that.
Yeah, because if you're being critical of a movie you're not ENJOYING it. Those things are polar opposites.

I love High Sierra. Yeah, the younger black guy at the camp is a stereotype (and not a particularly good one), but the movie is still great. It's a snapshot of society at that time and I can enjoy it as such without criticizing the movie.

Now, society? Yeah, I'll criticize society at that point (a lot of backward thinking), but the movies made then with negative stereotypes? It was just part of what was going on back then and as such is a reflection of those times.

You wouldn't put out a movie today with those racial stereotypes, and if you did you'd rightly get soundly criticized, but to give retroactive criticism and have some people call for songs and movies to be (essentially) self-banned by TV and radio stations is just going WAY too far.
Old 12-08-18, 08:08 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
Yeah, because if you're being critical of a movie you're not ENJOYING it. Those things are polar opposites.
Jesus.
This is the dumbest thing I've read today... and OldBoy thought Kimmel was well coifed.

There's missing the point and then there's... this.
Old 12-08-18, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Jesus.
This is the dumbest thing I've read today... and OldBoy thought Kimmel was well coifed.

There's missing the point and then there's... this.
See, I don't worry about anachronistic things that might be offensive if they were done today.

I can't imagine watching movies and getting caught up in past transgressions. What's the point of calling out a movie for politically incorrect characters or dialogue? Does anyone really expect a movie from 1941 to be politically correct?

I'm just saying that it's like suspension of disbelief with James Bond or comic book superhero movies. You just let that stuff go and don't worry about it.
Old 12-08-18, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is this movie no longer acceptable?
One of my favorite movies of the 80s wouldn't be made today either and it was PG.

Old 12-08-18, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I love High Sierra. Yeah, the younger black guy at the camp is a stereotype (and not a particularly good one), but the movie is still great. It's a snapshot of society at that time and I can enjoy it as such without criticizing the movie.

Now, society? Yeah, I'll criticize society at that point (a lot of backward thinking), but the movies made then with negative stereotypes? It was just part of what was going on back then and as such is a reflection of those times.

You wouldn't put out a movie today with those racial stereotypes, and if you did you'd rightly get soundly criticized, but to give retroactive criticism and have some people call for songs and movies to be (essentially) self-banned by TV and radio stations is just going WAY too far.
How about <i>Song of the South</i>? That one, which was acceptable in its day, is now almost erased from existence.
Old 12-08-18, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post

How about <i>Song of the South</i>? That one, which was acceptable in its day, is now almost erased from existence.
Yeah, and I have no idea whether or not that's warranted since I've never seen it.

Funny, though, how something like the old Superman cartoon, Japoteurs is OK to release, but Song of the South isn't. Both have negative racial stereotypes. One is OK to watch if understood in context, while the other, supposedly, isn't.
Old 12-08-18, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Superman is obviously racist! Time to burn your comic books, kids!!

Old 12-08-18, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

SONG OF THE SOUTH is a wonderful movie. The movie's villain is the boy's mother (played by Mrs. Citizen Kane, the lady who was on "All My Children" for decades), who tries to keep him away from Uncle Remus, whose stories are part of the boy's growing-up process and becoming a man. Remus is a repository of human wisdom essential to society and his stories are based on traditional African folk tales. The film celebrates Uncle Remus. The movie's harshest critics don't seem to understand it.
Old 12-08-18, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
SONG OF THE SOUTH is a wonderful movie. The movie's villain is the boy's mother (played by Mrs. Citizen Kane, the lady who was on "All My Children" for decades), who tries to keep him away from Uncle Remus, whose stories are part of the boy's growing-up process and becoming a man. Remus is a repository of human wisdom essential to society and his stories are based on traditional African folk tales. The film celebrates Uncle Remus. The movie's harshest critics don't seem to understand it.
I wouldn't be surprised if the criticism comes from just looking at it on a surface level.

Like I said, I've never seen it. I probably never will. The P.C. Left has, essentially, forced Disney to lock it away permanently. The shitstorm that would ensue if they did release it on DVD/Blu Ray would be huge.

Excuse me while I go put on the DVD with Japoteurs...
Old 12-08-18, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post

What in the world makes you think Song of the South was erased from existence?

Here's another one, Don Rickles, funny comedian or racist ?

For those that don't know his comedy routine, please google Don Rickles racist comedy

Here is a quote of a joke that he said about President Obama

"I shouldn’t make fun of the blacks,” Rickles said, adding: “President Obama is a personal friend of mine. He was over to the house yesterday, but the mop broke.”
Old 12-08-18, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't be surprised if the criticism comes from just looking at it on a surface level.

Like I said, I've never seen it. I probably never will. The P.C. Left has, essentially, forced Disney to lock it away permanently. The shitstorm that would ensue if they did release it on DVD/Blu Ray would be huge.

Excuse me while I go put on the DVD with Japoteurs...
I think I remember seeing parts of it on TV's "Wonderful Word of Disney".

And by the way Mr. Hand in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" was totally gay.
Old 12-08-18, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
Can you buy the movie? Watch it on cable? Watch it on Disney's streaming service when that starts up?

Nope. It hasn't been available in decades, and won't be available to view again for decades to come, if ever.
Old 12-08-18, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post

Here's another one, Don Rickles, funny comedian or racist ?

For those that don't know his comedy routine, please google Don Rickles racist comedy

Here is a quote of a joke that he said about President Obama
I thought a lot about how to describe the Song of the South scarcity. I just mean that Disney would have people believe it doesn't exist. Of course if I wanted to I could find it easily.

Ahh crap, who cares what I think? Or anyone else.

Yes, I have a Don Rickles box set, and yes, much of his shtick wouldn't fly in today's world. Some with good reason.

For me, I don't hold anything so dear that I'd be pissed if a few years down the road it is deemed offensive.
Old 12-08-18, 11:06 PM
Premium Member

Nope. It hasn't been available in decades, and won't be available to view again for decades to come, if ever.
It never had a US home video release.

(but it is pretty easy to find if you are looking for it)
Old 12-08-18, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
It never had a US home video release.

(but it is pretty easy to find if you are looking for it)
Really? Because I can't watch it on my TV in my living room no matter what (it's not on any legitimate streaming service, it's not on home video, and it's not available on cable).

It has, essentially, been permabanned.
Old 12-08-18, 11:23 PM
Premium Member

Really? Because I can't watch it on my TV in my living room no matter what (it's not on any legitimate streaming service, it's not on home video, and it's not available on cable).

It has, essentially, been permabanned.
It NEVER HAD a US release, it was not banned or pulled, it just was never released.

In the end, yes, you cannot watch it though US purchased streaming or media.

I have the LaserDisc if you want to fly across the country and watch it.

Edit: Here ya go https://archive.org/details/Songofth...80pRestoration
Old 12-08-18, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
It NEVER HAD a US release, it was not banned or pulled, it just was never released.
I get that. I never said otherwise. It HAS been pulled from TV distribution, however. It was shown up until the 70's, but at some point in the 80's the permaban was put in place.

Going forward it's difficult at best to watch. Impossible for most people.

Should it be?? I don't know, I've never seen it.

I'll have to watch that at some point. It's not the same as watching it on my TV, but that's better than nothing. It will be interesting to see if it's really that objectionable or not...
Old 12-08-18, 11:34 PM
Premium Member

Give it a watch sometime. (controversy aside... personally, I don't think it's that good of movie)

https://archive.org/details/Songofth...80pRestoration
Old 12-09-18, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by B5Erik;13458464,
The P.C. Left has, essentially, forced Disney to lock it away permanently.
What? Disney decided all on their own that this was a title in their catalog that they no longer wanted to celebrate. This was DECADES before a "PC Left" even existed. But by all means let's make it a "left/right" argument. . Gotta blame someone...that's why you started the thread in the first place.

Carry on.
Old 12-09-18, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Can someone recap the thread? Im lost. I cant tell if Im supposed to be outraged or not.

Best I can tell, the thread was started by someone being outraged at non-existent outrage. Is that about it?
Old 12-09-18, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
What? Disney decided all on their own that this was a title in their catalog that they no longer wanted to celebrate. This was DECADES before a "PC Left" even existed. But by all means let's make it a "left/right" argument. .
Decades before the PC Left existed?

Maybe half a decade, if that (the movie was last shown theatrically or on TV in the U.S. in 1986). The PC Left really started in the 80's, and gained ground every decade since.

And do you really think that a corporation like Disney would pull a title that they could make money from out of distribution and lock it away if they weren't concerned about some kind of backlash? They didn't do it because their corporate executives felt personally ashamed of the movie. They did it to avoid the potential bad PR of people dissecting the movie and finding things that could be deemed racist if they released it on home video.

Politically Correct may not have been a widespread term in the 80's, but the movement started at least that far back, maybe even in the 70's.

Last edited by B5Erik; 12-09-18 at 03:03 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.