Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

PC EVERYTHING Has Gone Too Far!!! Also: Starbucks cups are OFFENSIVE

Old 12-21-18, 10:30 PM

Re: PC EVERYTHING Has Gone Too Far!!! Also: Starbucks cups are OFFENSIVE

Those Wendy’s cups have Spanish on them so I’m guessing USA cups are different?
Old 12-22-18, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Scottish kilt-wearing Gingerbread men are offended by your statement.
Old 12-22-18, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post

And that sack of toys is obviously too much for one person. Definitely possession with intent to distribute.

Toys are not illegal. Yet ...
Old 12-22-18, 11:41 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Back to the original topic of this thread...

Old 12-24-18, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey, it's not just the US, Europe is full of snowflakes too:

Toblerone becomes target of far-right boycott after halal certification

So Toblerone announced their chocolate is Hala certified. This just means that it's OK for Muslims to eat (kind of like Kosher is ok for Jews to eat). They didn't have to change anything in their recipe, they just had to have some people inspect their process. Well the far right in europe is boycotting now.

The company said it had not altered the ingredients of the product in order to earn the designation and had been producing halal-friendly chocolate since April.

“The Toblerone's original recipe remained unchanged,” a spokesman for Mondelez told German-language Swiss newspaper Blick.

However, the certification appeared to alarm some, including Jörg Meuthen, the federal spokesman of Germany’s far-right AfD party, who described the move as part of a wider trend of “Islamisation” in Europe.
It's frickin CHOCOLATE people. Get a grip!
Old 12-24-18, 09:45 AM

One of the right-wing publications had to do their best to make the outrage seem justified. They say the factory had to switch to a non-alcohol based cleaning process to get the Halal certification.
Old 12-24-18, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="und" dir="ltr"> <a href="https://t.co/WCeuBHolni">pic.twitter.com/WCeuBHolni</a></p>&mdash; Jane Lynch (@janemarielynch) <a href="https://twitter.com/janemarielynch/status/1075782548800847873?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 20, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 12-24-18, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Guess what, the war on Christmas is REAL, yo!

https://thehill.com/opinion/civil-ri...istmas-is-real

Yes, the war on Christmas has been around for a century and some elements of it date as far back as the 1640s when the Puritans and Anglicans fought over what should be appropriate symbols of the season.

Liberals today are more likely object even to the messengers who pointed out the modern-day war on Christmas in — figures such as former FOX News host Bill O’Reilly and President Donald Trump.

Regardless when it began or who brought it to light once again the war on Christmas exists. Anyone who tells you differently is pushing the very propaganda that was perpetrated against the French, German and Soviet people in their darkest eras and that deserves a huge, “Bah humbug!”
Old 02-19-19, 10:14 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

"I really don't care! But agender robots and TWO females!"

One of the funniest bits is when the guy is all "having 1 in 6 characters of this persuasion would be an accurate representation, but they go all the way to 25%!"
1/6 is 17%. So an 8% increase is what this guy is upset about (but he doesn't really care!)

The guy in the original video is like a parody of not-angry-but-actually-totally-angry gamer bros, except that he's completely serious. This same guy made a big (no pun intended) deal about She-ra's boobs.
Old 03-02-19, 12:23 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

This is a great piece that's worth reading about how an off-hand comment about a dumb name for lipstick color gets turned into "OUTRAGE!!!"

Note: this is from 2015, but this is exactly the kind of shit that goes down all the time these days.

5 things the media does to manufacture outrage.
by Parker Molloy
https://medium.com/@parkermolloy/5-t...e-ba79125e1262

Earlier this year, Kayla and I were hanging out at the Sephora near the North & Clyborn red line station. As we were looking around, I was skimming through nail polish, lipstick, and eyeliner, checking out the names (Don’t make fun of me! This stuff actually really interests me! I mean, how many ways can you say “This is red” or “That’s purple?” Right?). Anyway…

I took a few pictures of names I thought were funny, weird, or just, well… notable. My phone has somewhere around 2,000 pictures on it at this very moment, and most of them are just stupid things I’ve seen around town.

So anyway, I decided to tweet one of those pictures along with the caption: “Went shopping for some makeup. How on earth is this a lipstick color?” about Kat Von D’s “Underage Red.”

There were no exclamation marks, no angry emojis, no Change.org petition to boycott the store until they removed it from shelves. Nothing. My reaction and sentiment was pretty much this:

Here’s where it gets fun, especially when you consider that this just started with a few people I know on Twitter who honestly don’t care what someone names their lipstick.

One outlet picks it up (in this case, it was Business Insider)
"Sephora is selling an inappropriately named lipstick that has people disgusted"

By the time it’s picked up by another outlet (in this case, Fortune), the classification has been upped from “disgusted” to “outraged.”
"People are outraged over Sephora's new lipstick name"

By the time it made it to the next outlet (TIME), it had taken listicle form.
"5 Makeup Names Just As Tasteless As "Underage Red""
With each of these new articles, a new stream of people came flying into my mentions to tell me how I was overreacting. They were so outraged about my (nonexistent) outrage. They were angry.
Emails, tweets, Facebook messages, blog posts about “outrage culture,” etc. were thrown my way. These people were very angry about how supposedly angry I was (which I wasn’t).
In this case, Kat Von D responded to the “controversy” on her Facebook page, vowing not to apologize (for something no one actually wanted an apology for).
And, then, of course, media outlets covered her response because now it was actual (sort of) news.
The same media that creates the controversy criticizes people for being so perpetually “outraged.”
OMG people are always so angry!
Sound familiar? Much more at the link, and it's absolutely worth reading.
Old 03-02-19, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wow, that's pretty interesting. I'm not surprised in the least though.
Old 03-02-19, 07:54 AM
Suspended

What I have been saying for a while and in many posts. The media creates hate, outrage, and want chaos.
Old 03-02-19, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You won't believe what has this internet message board outraged at the media!!!
Old 03-02-19, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
What I have been saying for a while and in many posts. The media creates hate, outrage, and want chaos.
I’ve never met a single journalist who wants chaos.
Old 03-04-19, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven View Post

Journalists deliberately go to chaos. War zones, collapsed buildings, tsunami devastation, multiple vehicle pileups. Then they get to go home. I can't imagine a class of people who would want chaos less.
Old 03-04-19, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Draven View Post

The whole media is about chaos. That is why certain stories are played up by the press, and other stories get no play. The Jusse Smollet story is a perfect example, as there are countless murders and muggings in Chicago (or everywhere across the country), so why does his story get that much press on a national level? The liberals loved it at first cause they can pinpoint that another 'hate crime' happened in Trump's America. Then the conservatives pounced on it once it wasn't true to continue their narrative that the majority of the media is liberal. Heck my local sports media does the same crap as they actually tried to make a story out of Bryce Harper's slip of the tongue saying he wanted to bring a title to 'DC' instead of Philadelphia at his first press conference. All weekend they kept showing it, and not one fan really cared, but that didnt' stop them. I will continue to say that more choices for us (in terms of TV content, the internet, streaming, etc) has segregated us so the media has to play to a certain demo now instead of the masses and it puts everyone in a bubble.

Last edited by coli; 03-04-19 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-04-19, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Journalists deliberately go to chaos. War zones, collapsed buildings, tsunami devastation, multiple vehicle pileups. Then they get to go home. I can't imagine a class of people who would want chaos less.
Originally Posted by coli View Post
The whole media is about chaos. That is why certain stories are played up by the press, and other stories get no play. The Jusse Smollet story is a perfect example, as there are countless murders and muggings in Chicago (or everywhere across the country), so why does his story get that much press on a national level? The liberals loved it at first cause they can pinpoint that another 'hate crime' happened in Trump's America. Then the conservatives pounced on it once it wasn't true to continue their narrative that the majority of the media is liberal. Heck my local sports media does the same crap as they actually tried to make a story out of Bryce Harper's slip of the tongue saying he wanted to bring a title to 'DC' instead of Philadelphia at his first press conference. All weekend they kept showing it, and not one fan really cared, but that didnt' stop them. I will continue to say that more choices for us (in terms of TV content, the internet, streaming, etc) has segregated us so the media has to play to a certain demo now instead of the masses and it puts everyone in a bubble.
Apparently, you have a different definition of chaos than I do. I'm talking about the breakdown of the rule of law, or of natural disasters, or of random disorder in the morning commute resulting in multiple crashes and lives lost. You're talking about a celebrity telling a lie and someone making a gaffe on sports radio.
Old 03-04-19, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Apparently, you have a different definition of chaos than I do.