Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Pat Buchanan's "Culture War" speech 1992

Old 12-03-18, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pat Buchanan's "Culture War" speech 1992

I thought it was fascinating watching this speech from George Bush's nomination in 1992. I disliked Pat Buchanan when he ran for president that year. Then I mostly forgot about him. But now!

When I watched this speech today, I recognized in it everything that's wrong with today's Republican party. It's exclusionary, it appeals to the Christian Right, it opposes environmentalism, it has dog-whistle racism, it supports Republicans who don't read books, it attacks Hillary because she got involved, and it comes down on the anti-freedom side of gay rights, women's rights, and minority rights.

Pat Buchanan figured out the message before anyone else.

Bias: Although I voted for Bush in 1988, I voted for Clinton in 1992.
Old 12-03-18, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

re: Pat Buchanan's "Culture War" speech 1992

Originally Posted by Pat Buchannan
Yet a militant leader of the homosexual rights movement could rise at that same convention and say: “Bill Clinton and Al Gore represent the most pro-lesbian and pro-gay ticket in history.” And so they do.
"Militant" leader? I gotta look up who he's referring to but I'm guessing it's simply because they want equal rights for gay citizens.

This, my friends, is radical feminism. The agenda that Clinton & Clinton would impose on America – abortion on demand, a litmus test for the Supreme Court, homosexual rights, discrimination against religious schools, women in combat units – that’s change, all right. But it is not the kind of change America needs. It is not the kind of change America wants. And it is not the kind of change we can abide in a nation that we still call God’s country.
"God's country" that sells weapons to Iran, while at the same time helping Iraq attack Iran??

There is a religious war going on in this country. It is a cultural war, as critical to the kind of nation we shall be as was the Cold War itself, for this war is for the soul of America. And in that struggle for the soul of America, Clinton & Clinton are on the other side, and George Bush is on our side.
Wow.

Anyways, yeah, great thread.
I thought that the Republican Party came across as boring on the surface, prior to the W. Administration but the elements of the party today were evident back in 1992, in this speech.
Old 12-04-18, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This speech frightened me back in '92, but I still didn't anticipate it actually happening in Charlottesville.

And as those boys took back the streets of Los Angeles, block by block, my friends, we must take back our cities, and take back our culture, and take back our country.
Old 12-04-18, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is "Exhibit A" for the argument that "President Trump did not hijack the Republican Party, he is the logical conclusion of its ideologies".
Old 12-04-18, 07:57 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

I had a vague memory of this speech, but looking back on it now it is way more chilling than I thought at the time.

This is why the left has to fight tooth and nail. When one side declares a war, the other side can't sit back and call for civility and compromise.
Old 12-04-18, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pat Buchanan, and the many like minded folks that make up the GOP, make up the American Taliban and people should wary of them the same way we are wary of those in the Middle East. They have become what they supposedly despise.
Old 12-04-18, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Pat Buchanan, and the many like minded folks that make up the GOP, make up the American Taliban and people should wary of them the same way we are wary of those in the Middle East. They have become what they supposedly despise.
Ok. Why should people trust you.
Old 12-04-18, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
I had a vague memory of this speech, but looking back on it now it is way more chilling than I thought at the time.

This is why the left has to fight tooth and nail. When one side declares a war, the other side can't sit back and call for civility and compromise.
Pat Buchanan is a niche politician even in this extremist atmosphere from both parties.

Why are you and others spreading fear and paranoia...just like he is?
Old 12-04-18, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Pat Buchanan is a niche politician even in this extremist atmosphere from both parties.
Why would a “niche politician” be asked by the RNC to speak at Bush’s nomination?
Old 12-04-18, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Can I ask you a question: Does this statement include anyone on these forums who supports Trump? Are WE evil people? Are WE racist? Are YOU at war with the Trump supporters HERE? Because if so then you are just generalizing and I can throw some negative generalizations about the Democrat Party that I think doesn't pertain to everyone in here. I don't think the mods want a political forum of a bunch of posts generalizing about the 2 parties when we all can debate freely in here between ourselves.

Last edited by coli; 12-04-18 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-04-18, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
This is "Exhibit A" for the argument that "President Trump did not hijack the Republican Party, he is the logical conclusion of its ideologies".
Old 12-04-18, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A whole side declared a war there?

Wow. And here I thought Pat Buchanan was speaking as a wannabe candidate desperately trying to influence the party.

I don't think anyone else took up that fight. Not in the way that Buchanan framed it.

Having differences of opinion on political topics and trying to push the country in a particular direction, politically, isn't a war - it's politics as usual.
Old 12-04-18, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by coli View Post
Can I ask you a question: Does this statement include anyone on these forums who supports Trump? Are WE evil people? Are WE racist?
I think this was someone's sig here for a while: Trump voters may not all be racist, but they all certainly decided that racism was not a dealbreaker.
Old 12-04-18, 10:25 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Can I ask you a question: Does this statement include anyone on these forums who supports Trump? Are WE evil people? Are WE racist? Are YOU at war with the Trump supporters HERE? Because if so then you are just generalizing and I can throw some negative generalizations about the Democrat Party that I think doesn't pertain to everyone in here. I don't think the mods want a political forum of a bunch of posts generalizing about the 2 parties when we all can debate freely in here between ourselves.
Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
A whole side declared a war there?

Wow. And here I thought Pat Buchanan was speaking as a wannabe candidate desperately trying to influence the party.

I don't think anyone else took up that fight. Not in the way that Buchanan framed it.

Having differences of opinion on political topics and trying to push the country in a particular direction, politically, isn't a war - it's politics as usual.

Not every individual Republican or conservative citizen, but the GOP politicians have sure engaged in a scorched earth strategy.
Old 12-04-18, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

As has been stated, Trump supporters have decided that racism, sexual assault, mocking the disabled and disrespecting Gold Star families are acceptable behaviors. After all, you can't support Trump without accepting those things about him.
Old 12-04-18, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
I think this was someone's sig here for a while: Trump voters may not all be racist, but they all certainly decided that racism was not a dealbreaker.
A very relevant one at that. Anybody that is truly uncomfortable with what has happened to the GOP would consider leaving it behind.
Old 12-04-18, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Why would a “niche politician” be asked by the RNC to speak at Bush’s nomination?
Why would you worry about this now. Your fascination with Nazis and Hitler...it's a tad disturbing.

As has been stated, Trump supporters have decided that racism, sexual assault, mocking the disabled and disrespecting Gold Star families are acceptable behaviors. After all, you can't support Trump without accepting those things about him.
Once again, you accuse a large group of something that is completely unjustified only satisfy your own self-doubts about yourself, and direct your biases and prejudice outward towards others who simply don't agree with what you say/believe.

You do realize you are basically part of a cult, right? Most Americans don't think the way you do.

Once again, you're simply repeating what you hear, but have never even verified the validity of what you say.

By the way, you still haven't proven any concrete connections to Trump with racism other than "Butbutbut that racist guy says he supports Trump!!!!!"

You conveniently forget that Obama controversial leaders to the White House as well. And Republicans were crying and screaming just like you are now.

You haven't learned anything.

You are reaching so far, your arms are disproportionate to the rest of your body.

Are you gonna be one of those guys who ends up at a supremacist meeting, and your excuse will be you're just doing opposition research?

The more you point fingers and make prejudicial and biased statements about people, the more it likes you're the subject of your own accusations.
Old 12-04-18, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Why would you worry about this now. Your fascination with Nazis and Hitler...it's a tad disturbing.

Once again, you accuse a large group of something that is completely unjustified only satisfy your own self-doubts about yourself, and direct your biases and prejudice outward towards others who simply don't agree with what you say/believe.

You do realize you are basically part of a cult, right? Most Americans don't think the way you do.

Once again, you're simply repeating what you hear, but have never even verified the validity of what you say.

By the way, you still haven't proven any concrete connections to Trump with racism other than "Butbutbut that racist guy says he supports Trump!!!!!"

You conveniently forget that Obama controversial leaders to the White House as well. And Republicans were crying and screaming just like you are now.

You are reaching so far, your arms are disproportionate to the rest of your body.

Are you gonna be one of those guys who ends up at a supremacist meeting, and your excuse will be you're just doing opposition research?

The more you point fingers and make prejudicial and biased statements about people, the more it likes you're the subject of your own accusations.
So you are only arguing Trump is not a raciest? Yet he listed many other items.

It say s a lot that rather then give examples or show that Trumpis not what he says, you attack the person and others.

Please, show us where we are wrong about Trump.
Old 12-04-18, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
So you are only arguing Trump is not a raciest? Yet he listed many other items.

It say s a lot that rather then give examples or show that Trumpis not what he says, you attack the person and others.

Please, show us where we are wrong about Trump.
I'm retorting what was stated. We're discussing racism, I am obliging. When you say "only", are you going to bring up a distraction in this discussion to get off the subject we're discussing?

But wait, so now I have to prove to yours and others biased and un-validated comments that I'm right? You're the ones making the accusations. I'd like to see the hard evidence, thanks.

But let me start:

1) Has Trump been to any KKK meetings like the supporters you claim?

2) Any recorded video/audio of Trump saying the White Race is SUPERIOR to other races?

3) Any KKK/WP members who have come forward to say Trump went with them to any meetings?

That would be a start. Let me know what you find on your Nothing de Nazi journey.

Or are you going to make the claim we're all just "casual nazis" who don't know we really are nazis, but since you say we are, we are nazis.
Old 12-04-18, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

As has been stated, Trump supporters have decided that racism, sexual assault, mocking the disabled and disrespecting Gold Star families are acceptable behaviors.
Let's not forget him supporting a pedophile and hinting at gun rights activists taking out Hillary. And of course there are many others.
Old 12-04-18, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You may spit now.
Old 12-04-18, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
You may spit now.
I swallow.
Old 12-04-18, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Let's not forget him supporting a pedophile and hinting at gun rights activists taking out Hillary. And of course there are many others.
Hillary supported her husband who's brother was a cocaine user.

Due to your fabulous logic, you support cocaine use and selling it to children who end up dead.

See how that sounds to a non-agreeing person? If not, I'm sorry for you.

All politicians know and even support people who have bad things going on. That's not entirely an issue unless you can prove the support had prejudice towards drug laws, child sex laws, etc.

You can fault Trump for being a complete idiot and not knowing about his fellow Republicans, but calling him a pedo is just as laughable as calling Hillary a cocaine lover.
Old 12-04-18, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Yup. Let's see if those that were supposedly really concerned about that recently speak up.
Old 12-04-18, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Oh of course, those too. Nothing like calling for your supporters to use their guns to take care of your opponent.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.