Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The difference between the far left and the far right

Old 12-01-18, 11:10 AM
  #1  
Banned by request
Thread Starter
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
The difference between the far left and the far right

Iím separating this out from the Bush is dead thread because itís off topic:

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
OMG the leftist vitriol we have in this thread! My goodness.

You guys (Super, Inri, Kirtie, etc) should pause sometime and realize that if there were members here with right wing views that were as extreme to the right as your views are to the left that you would all call for that person to be banned, and that guys like me would agree.

You guys have poisonous, disgusting political views. I sleep at night knowing you will have lived and died on this planet, under the protection of a country you donít really like, and that your views are so infrequently shared by others that you will never have any representation.

At least you can be virtual friends with each other on an Internet forum where your malarkey is tolerated for some unknown reason.
I do call for deplatforming far right proponents, because the far right is for imperialism, genocide, and racial superiority of whites. The far left is for inclusion and for the protection of the marginalized and those who suffer the most under capitalism and imperialism. Everyone who isnít a rich white capitaiat should worry about the far right. Only the capitalists should fear the far left. Thatís a substantial difference.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 12-01-18, 11:16 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 9,039
Re: The difference between the far left and the far right

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Iím separating this out from the Bush is dead thread because itís off topic:



I do call for deplatforming far right proponents, because the far right is for imperialism, genocide, and racial superiority of whites. The far left is for inclusion and for the protection of the marginalized and those who suffer the most under capitalism and imperialism. Everyone who isnít a rich white capitaiat should worry about the far right. Only the capitalists should fear the far left. Thatís a substantial difference.
You've haven't talked about the far left radicals. You're glad to go all the way to the extreme, extreme right, but on the left side of things you don't go all the way out to the extremists.

The ones who say that human beings are the worst thing that ever happened to this planet and we should be allowed to go extinct. Following on that, slightly closer to the mainstream left are the ones who think that many industries should be allowed to go under even if it means massive unemployment - that the environment is far more important than the lives of the tens of millions people who would literally starve to death without work. Going back further left are the ones who say all sex is rape.

There is a bunch of ugly, nasty stuff on the far left that you've conveniently ignored. You hate the right, we get that, but the far left has it's own stupidity and ugliness.
B5Erik is online now  
Old 12-01-18, 11:17 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
stvn1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 4,886
Re: The difference between the far left and the far right

Far right: They want to force their barbaric religious views on everyone else. Racist, homophobic and sexist. Stupid enough to constantly vote against their own interests.

Far left: Want everyone to have the same amount even though there is no way to pay for it. Usually so politically correct that it is absurd.
stvn1974 is offline  
Old 12-01-18, 11:24 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 17,653
Re: The difference between the far left and the far right

The difference as I see it is this:

Of the two crackpot extremes at either end of the spectrum only the left side is tolerated here at DVDTalk.

Anyone as extreme to the right as Super is extreme to the left would be chased out of here. Not just by him, but people like me too.

Last edited by Mabuse; 12-01-18 at 11:29 AM.
Mabuse is offline  
Old 12-01-18, 11:26 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 9,039
Re: The difference between the far left and the far right

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
The difference as I see it is this:

Of the two crackpot extremes at either end of the spectrum only the left side is tolerated here at DVDTalk.
This is true - factually accurate.
B5Erik is online now  
Old 12-01-18, 12:07 PM
  #6  
Banned by request
Thread Starter
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: The difference between the far left and the far right

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
You've haven't talked about the far left radicals. You're glad to go all the way to the extreme, extreme right, but on the left side of things you don't go all the way out to the extremists.

The ones who say that human beings are the worst thing that ever happened to this planet and we should be allowed to go extinct. Following on that, slightly closer to the mainstream left are the ones who think that many industries should be allowed to go under even if it means massive unemployment - that the environment is far more important than the lives of the tens of millions people who would literally starve to death without work. Going back further left are the ones who say all sex is rape.

There is a bunch of ugly, nasty stuff on the far left that you've conveniently ignored. You hate the right, we get that, but the far left has it's own stupidity and ugliness.
You’re talking about the absolute fringest of the fringe, or you’re being duped by right wing propaganda. I’m talking about the bulk of the far left and far right. Talk of genocide and racial extermination is common on the far right. Talk of human extinction to save the planet is so fringe on the far left that I’ve not personally come across it and I’m active among the leftist community. Same with people who say all sex is rape. Those people may exist (or they may be fabrications/distortions of far right propagandists) but they are not a significant force in modern leftism.

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
The difference as I see it is this:

Of the two crackpot extremes at either end of the spectrum only the left side is tolerated here at DVDTalk.

Anyone as extreme to the right as Super is extreme to the left would be chased out of here. Not just by him, but people like me too.
Again, the far right advocates for genocide, and the far left doesn’t. That might be why the far left is tolerated here more than the far right.

And I’m not surprised you’d try to chase out leftists, given your posting history. Your disdain for people fighting for liberation from systemic oppression is well known.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 12-01-18, 12:19 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 17,653
Re: The difference between the far left and the far right

The political system that the extreme left advocates for has historically led to murderous purges and mass starvation every time it’s been attempted.
Mabuse is offline  
Old 12-01-18, 12:20 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 9,039
Re: The difference between the far left and the far right

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Youíre talking about the absolute fringest of the fringe, or youíre being duped by right wing propaganda. Iím talking about the bulk of the far left and far right. Talk of genocide and racial extermination is common on the far right. Talk of human extinction to save the planet is so fringe on the far left that Iíve not personally come across it and Iím active among the leftist community. Same with people who say all sex is rape. Those people may exist (or they may be fabrications/distortions of far right propagandists) but they are not a significant force in modern leftism.
But they do exist.

And just a little less extreme than them are the ones who want whole industries to shut down, regardless of unemployment to tens of millions and economic suffering.

And just a little less extreme left than them are the ones who are ridiculously politically correct and want to shut down freedom of speech for anything they find offensive in any way.



Again, the far right advocates for genocide, and the far left doesnít. That might be why the far left is tolerated here more than the far right.
Pot, this is kettle. Those advocating for genocide are on the extreme fringes of the right. 98% of the people on the right find the whole idea of advocating for genocide to be abhorrent.

You have a habit of lumping people who support smaller government while at the same time advocating for strong national defense and strong law enforcement in with those who are legitimately racist scumbags.

Most people on the right just want the government out of their lives. Government holds back a lot of businesses and individuals through regulation. Some regulations are good, but a lot of the regulations I've come across are just needless and hurt small business.
B5Erik is online now  
Old 12-01-18, 12:21 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 9,039
Re: The difference between the far left and the far right

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
The political system that the extreme left advocates for has historically led to murderous purges and mass starvation every time itís been attempted.
Oh, but what's wrong with that? Their hearts were in the right place when they set those systems up!
B5Erik is online now  
Old 12-01-18, 12:22 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 17,653
Re: The difference between the far left and the far right

It’s for the greater good Comrade.
Mabuse is offline  
Old 12-01-18, 12:22 PM
  #11  
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Į\_(ツ)_/Į
Posts: 20,178
Re: The difference between the far left and the far right

at people here thinking that the stuff 'mallet and inri say is "extreme left." (No idea why Kurtie was added to them...)

And yeah, I would love to see examples of prominent figures on the left spouting the made up nosense here ("all sex is rape"?? OK man.)
Dan is offline  
Old 12-01-18, 12:24 PM
  #12  
Banned by request
Thread Starter
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: The difference between the far left and the far right

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
But they do exist.

And just a little less extreme than them are the ones who want whole industries to shut down, regardless of unemployment to tens of millions and economic suffering.

And just a little less extreme left than them are the ones who are ridiculously politically correct and want to shut down freedom of speech for anything they find offensive in any way.




Pot, this is kettle. Those advocating for genocide are on the extreme fringes of the right. 98% of the people on the right find the whole idea of advocating for genocide to be abhorrent.

You have a habit of lumping people who support smaller government while at the same time advocating for strong national defense and strong law enforcement in with those who are legitimately racist scumbags.

Most people on the right just want the government out of their lives. Government holds back a lot of businesses and individuals through regulation. Some regulations are good, but a lot of the regulations I've come across are just needless and hurt small business.
Iíve already said Iím talking about the far right. Unfortunately, the far right has increasingly encroached on the mainstream right. The same has not happened on the left.

And leftists donít want to close down industries, we want to dismantle capitalism. Destroying an industry doesnít change the system that industry arose from.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 12-01-18, 12:27 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 17,653
Re: The difference between the far left and the far right

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
at people here thinking that the stuff 'mallet and inri say is "extreme left." (No idea why Kurtie was added to them...)

And yeah, I would love to see examples of prominent figures on the left spouting the made up nosense here ("all sex is rape"?? OK man.)
Super is an avowed communist who wants to dismantle Americaís fundamental institutions. Heís stated so countless times. Anyone equally that far right would be banned.
Mabuse is offline  
Old 12-01-18, 12:30 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 9,039
Re: The difference between the far left and the far right

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Iíve already said Iím talking about the far right. Unfortunately, the far right has increasingly encroached on the mainstream right. The same has not happened on the left.

And leftists donít want to close down industries, we want to dismantle capitalism. Destroying an industry doesnít change the system that industry arose from.
No, leftists just want to close down ANY industry that has any potential negative impact on the environment, regardless of whether or not the impact proven or substantial. And regardless of the impact to the tens of millions of people who would be out of work and facing homelessness and near starvation.

And as to dismantling capitalism -
B5Erik is online now  
Old 12-01-18, 12:30 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 46,897
Re: The difference between the far left and the far right

Holy Oklahoma City bombing! Didn’t you know that Antifa and Neo Nazis are exactly the same thing!
inri222 is offline  
Old 12-01-18, 12:33 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 9,039
Re: The difference between the far left and the far right

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Super is an avowed communist who wants to dismantle Americaís fundamental institutions. Heís stated so countless times. Anyone equally that far right would be banned.
Probably true.

I find modern communists to be hilariously funny (as in great examples of absurdity). It's failed gloriously everywhere it's been tried - because pure communism can't work (it doesn't address motivations for people to want to do the shitty jobs, or motivations for working hard or coming up with innovations - without rewards there is no incentive to work hard or innovate).
B5Erik is online now  
Old 12-01-18, 12:38 PM
  #17  
Banned by request
Thread Starter
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: The difference between the far left and the far right

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
No, leftists just want to close down ANY industry that has any potential negative impact on the environment, regardless of whether or not the impact proven or substantial. And regardless of the impact to the tens of millions of people who would be out of work and facing homelessness and near starvation.

And as to dismantling capitalism -
It sounds to me like youíre working off some base assumptions that simply arenít true.

Leftists are very concerned with the environment, but we understand that the majority of the destruction of the environment is caused by capitalismís rapacious demand for ever more resources to hoard.

I frequently come across leftists arguing vehemently against the idea of killing people to slow or stop climate change (as the specious argument that overpopulation is the problem is often presented by centrists or those on the right).

You can tell me Iím wrong until youíre blue in the face but only one of us is actually involved with the leftist community and itís not you, so all I can do is let you know that youíre either reading right wing propaganda that misrepresents actual leftist arguments, or youíre willfully misrepresenting those arguments to make the left position look worse.

And yes, dismantling capitalism is one of the major goals of the leftist project. Iím sure people laughed at early capitalists who suggested supplanting feudalism with another system.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 12-01-18, 12:40 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 9,039
Re: The difference between the far left and the far right

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
at people here thinking that the stuff 'mallet and inri say is "extreme left." (No idea why Kurtie was added to them...)

And yeah, I would love to see examples of prominent figures on the left spouting the made up nosense here ("all sex is rape"?? OK man.)
Andrea Dworkin: In the book, Intercourse, she argues that all heterosexual sex in our patriarchal society is coercive and degrading to women, and sexual penetration may by its very nature doom women to inferiority and submission, and "may be immune to reform".

"Since the paradigm for sex has been one of conquest, possession, and violation, I think many men believe they need an unfair advantage, which at its extreme would be called rape."
That was just one left wing radical that I found in 30 seconds. I've been hearing about that view for 20+ years. It exists. It's real. It's only on the left.
B5Erik is online now  
Old 12-01-18, 12:44 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 9,039
Re: The difference between the far left and the far right

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
It sounds to me like youíre working off some base assumptions that simply arenít true.

Leftists are very concerned with the environment, but we understand that the majority of the destruction of the environment is caused by capitalismís rapacious demand for ever more resources to hoard.

I frequently come across leftists arguing vehemently against the idea of killing people to slow or stop climate change (as the specious argument that overpopulation is the problem is often presented by centrists or those on the right).

You can tell me Iím wrong until youíre blue in the face but only one of us is actually involved with the leftist community and itís not you, so all I can do is let you know that youíre either reading right wing propaganda that misrepresents actual leftist arguments, or youíre willfully misrepresenting those arguments to make the left position look worse.
So, putting literally tens of millions of people out of work, out on the street, with no means of getting food wouldn't result in hundreds of thousands of deaths each year?

And yes, dismantling capitalism is one of the major goals of the leftist project. Iím sure people laughed at early capitalists who suggested supplanting feudalism with another system.
You don't have a better, more realistic system. As I noted above, communism doesn't address motivation for people to do the shitty jobs, or to work harder than the bare minimum or to innovate. Without serious rewards people will only do the least that they can get away with to survive.

And once you start rewarding people you're talking about capitalism.
B5Erik is online now  
Old 12-01-18, 12:44 PM
  #20  
Banned by request
Thread Starter
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: The difference between the far left and the far right

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
That was just one left wing radical that I found in 30 seconds. I've been hearing about that view for 20+ years. It exists. It's real. It's only on the left.
Sheís talking about systems of oppression, and her argument is far more nuanced than you claimed with your ďall sex is rapeĒ comment.

And again, let me remind you that the far right is for the suppression of women, for their subjugation to men, and routinely apologize for rape and rapists. Hell, they successfully got one on the Supreme Court, and before that the mainstream right for another sexual harasser onto the Supreme Court.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 12-01-18, 12:52 PM
  #21  
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Į\_(ツ)_/Į
Posts: 20,178
Re: The difference between the far left and the far right

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Sheís talking about systems of oppression, and her argument is far more nuanced than you claimed with your ďall sex is rapeĒ comment.
Exactly right. The fact that Erik misinterprets and misrepresents the position so blatantly and so obviously, just shows what kind of skewed information he's getting.

In the words of mini man Ben Shapiro, read a goddamn book, boys.

(I know they won't)
Dan is offline  
Old 12-01-18, 12:52 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 9,039
Re: The difference between the far left and the far right

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Sheís talking about systems of oppression, and her argument is far more nuanced than you claimed with your ďall sex is rapeĒ comment.

And again, let me remind you that the far right is for the suppression of women, for their subjugation to men, and routinely apologize for rape and rapists. Hell, they successfully got one on the Supreme Court, and before that the mainstream right for another sexual harasser onto the Supreme Court.
Boy, that sure isn't a blanket, "The right is evil," kind of statement, is it?

It's nuanced.
B5Erik is online now  
Old 12-01-18, 12:53 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 30,377
Re: The difference between the far left and the far right

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Sheís talking about systems of oppression, and her argument is far more nuanced than you claimed with your ďall sex is rapeĒ comment.

And again, let me remind you that the far right is for the suppression of women, for their subjugation to men, and routinely apologize for rape and rapists. Hell, they successfully got one on the Supreme Court, and before that the mainstream right for another sexual harasser onto the Supreme Court.

Dude, there's one in the White House.
Why So Blu? is offline  
Old 12-01-18, 12:56 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 9,039
Re: The difference between the far left and the far right

It's pretty clear that the hardcore leftists here don't want to get along. And that's the biggest difference on this board between the left and the right.

The left wants the right to go away. They want to shut down anyone on the right. They use insults and demeaning statements about the right in a general sense to shame anyone remotely to the right of center.

While those here on the right just want to have a conversation, but are dragged into polarizing arguments because those on the left aggressively attack the right and put those on the right on the defensive.

There's no dialogue here. No true discussion. No give and take.

That's sad.
B5Erik is online now  
Old 12-01-18, 01:06 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 1,145
Re: The difference between the far left and the far right

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
It's pretty clear that the hardcore leftists here don't want to get along. And that's the biggest difference on this board between the left and the right.

The left wants the right to go away. They want to shut down anyone on the right. They use insults and demeaning statements about the right in a general sense to shame anyone remotely to the right of center.

While those here on the right just want to have a conversation, but are dragged into polarizing arguments because those on the left aggressively attack the right and put those on the right on the defensive.

There's no dialogue here. No true discussion. No give and take.

That's sad.
JasonX is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.