Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: What are you doing about Whitaker?
Calling congressional representatives
30.77%
Protesting
7.69%
Resisting in other ways (Describe in post.)
7.69%
Nothing
61.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

What are you doing about Whitaker?

Old 11-10-18, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What are you doing about Whitaker?

Matthew Whitaker prejudged the Russia investigation, declaring "no collusion." Now he oversees it. Less than 24 hour after the election, he was installed as acting attorney general on dubious legal grounds, as he was neither positioned in the line of succession nor approved by the Senate. Whereas the legality of the appointment is murky, the reason for the appointment is as clear as day. As Representative Swalwell put it, Whitaker is a "hit man." His job is to constrain and curtail the Russia investigation -- if possible, to kill it. These goals reflect his public statements on TV, in op-eds, and elsewhere. Republicans' loss of the House of Representatives may or may not have altered these plans.

The crisis isn't coming. It is already here. If you're waiting for a supernatural sign like the sound of seven trumpets, you are going to be disappointed. You're going to have to look at the big picture and connect the dots. Trump has been laying siege to the Justice Department for a year and a half. With the installation of Whitaker, he just breached the gate.

This is an important moment, and rule of law is at risk. Trump is trying to place himself and his family members above the law. We cannot allow him to succeed.

What are you doing about Whitaker? So far I've protested and called my three representatives in Congress. If Congress fails to protect Mueller with legislation, then I think we the people will eventually have to ratchet things up. Civil disobedience and other tactics may eventually be necessary.
Old 11-11-18, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: What are you doing about Whitaker?

I didn't know about this, as I've taken a break from following the news.

Thanks for keeping the forum updated about this.
Old 11-11-18, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not doing anything. The selection of Whitaker is a distraction to dilute the response to a possible Mueller firing.
Old 11-11-18, 12:07 PM

I'm sending thoughts and prayers.
Old 11-11-18, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think the most annoying part about this Whitaker stuff, is that (assuming he is Trump's lackey) that Trump now knows EVERYTHING Mueller has on him. Maybe that's why he's acting like such a jack-hole lately.
Old 11-11-18, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It sounds like it’s too late for Whitaker to make any waves in the Mueller investigation. From what I understand, Mueller is wrapping up his investigations already. The only thing Whitaker really has any control over is cutting funding for the Mueller investigation, so I guess, it could be a dozen aides tryping up subpoenas instead of two dozen.

It also sounds like Whitaker has been appointed illegally, so I’m guessing if he tries to pull some sort of stunt he won’t have any legal recourse to back it up.

I’m also guessing that Mueller was expecting a move like this for quite a while. Now that Trump has tipped his hand, Mueller has probably already taken any necessary precautions to protect his investigation.

I don’t know anything about this Whitaker guy but just seeing his picture makes it look like he’s a tiki torch away from fitting nicely in Trump’s inner circle. Only the best people.
Old 11-11-18, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
I didn't know about this, as I've taken a break from following the news.

Thanks for keeping the forum updated about this.
You're welcome. Here's a really good analysis/overview. One piece of info that came out later is Whitaker interviewed to join Trump's legal team and fight against Mueller. A few months later he was installed in the DOJ as Sessions's chief of staff.

Almost everything about Matthew Whitaker’s appointment is problematic at WashingtonPost.com
Old 11-11-18, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
I'm not doing anything. The selection of Whitaker is a distraction to dilute the response to a possible Mueller firing.
It's not a distraction. As Obama's solicitor general at the DOJ has explained (in TV interviews and in an article co-authored by conservative lawyer George Conway), the attorney general has "awesome powers." Whitaker could take any number of actions to frustrate, impede, and ultimately end the investigation. He also controls what happens with the final report. The public may never see it, or whatever the public sees may lack any detail.

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
I think the most annoying part about this Whitaker stuff, is that (assuming he is Trump's lackey) that Trump now knows EVERYTHING Mueller has on him. Maybe that's why he's acting like such a jack-hole lately.
It's possible, perhaps even likely, that Whitaker will share info that could compromise the investigation.

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
It sounds like it’s too late for Whitaker to make any waves in the Mueller investigation. From what I understand, Mueller is wrapping up his investigations already. The only thing Whitaker really has any control over is cutting funding for the Mueller investigation, so I guess, it could be a dozen aides tryping up subpoenas instead of two dozen.
I have been hearing that "it's too late" from the glass-half-full types. But we don't know the status of the investigation in any detail. We don't know which parts of the investigation are completed. We don't know if Mueller has already obtained all of the subpoenas and indictments that he wants. The fact that Mueller has started to draft the final report means that the investigation has taken shape and is heading in a certain direction. It doesn't mean the investigation is complete. If you recall, Comey started drafting his report long before Clinton was actually cleared.
Old 11-11-18, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rest assured. The public will see every word of the final report. If anybody tries to bury any part of it complete copies will mysteriously arrive at NYT, WaPo, CNN, NBC, etc.
Old 11-11-18, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

My senators are Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul. They don't listen to anyone, so not sure what to do with that.
Old 11-11-18, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
Rest assured. The public will see every word of the final report. If anybody tries to bury any part of it complete copies will mysteriously arrive at NYT, WaPo, CNN, NBC, etc.
We've seen a rather large collection of leaks coming from those networks (from a variety of sources that were under legal bindings but disregarded them), so I would agree, to think there is somehow going to be a massive conspiracy to do just the opposite of what has been going on in the last 2 years...would be oddly going off-track.
Old 11-11-18, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
My senators are Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul. They don't listen to anyone, so not sure what to do with that.
McConnell is one of the most important people to contact. As I'm sure you're well aware, he is the Senate Majority Leader. We (and Republican Senators such as Collins, Sasse, Flake, and Corker) need to persuade him to bring the existing bill to the Senate floor for a vote.

I have a Republican Senator, and I call him more than the Democratic Senator.
Old 11-11-18, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If any of you are intending to protesting by pulling off your shirt, writing stuff with a sharpie on your body and running after President Trump's motorcade - it is a bad idea.

Old 11-11-18, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I encounter Ted Cruz or John Cornyn in any Austin area restaurants, I will scream profanity at them. Good enough?
Old 11-12-18, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
If I encounter Ted Cruz or John Cornyn in any Austin area restaurants, I will scream profanity at them. Good enough?
Text me if you do. I love a good screamin'.
Old 11-13-18, 11:35 PM

I'm calling my representatives again tomorrow.