Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 11-07-18, 08:14 PM   #1
DVD Talk Legend

Were you ever represented by a congressperson you liked?

Today, as I and my district enter the Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez era, I began to ponder my past congressmen. In 63 years of living in the Bronx, I only remember three of them: Joseph Crowley (outgoing); Eliot Engel (who's still in Congress but in a redrawn district); James Scheuer, from the '70s and '80s; and Jonathan Bingham (1960s era). The only ones I liked were Scheuer and Bingham. With Scheuer, it stems from the fact that back when I used to write letters to my congressman (on a typewriter!), Scheuer used to send personal responses clearly based on having read and considered my letters. I found a file with this correspondence recently and I remembered that I actually respected him. (Scheuer's brother was Steve Scheuer who used to write those "Movies on TV" books and whom I knew professionally.)

Scheuer was one of the old-school Jewish Democratic machine politicians who once ran the Democratic Party in the Bronx. A bunch of them later got indicted during the Koch administration and went to jail on various bribery and corruption charges (Stanley Friedman, anyone?), but Scheuer was, as far as I knew, clean. As was Robert Abrams, my longtime Assemblyman and later the state Attorney General, another one I respected. He was viciously libeled by Al Sharpton during the whole Tawana Brawley fiasco. He never sued, but he should have. An upstate Attorney General, Steven Pagones, also libeled, sued and won a judgment against Sharpton, which he still hasn't paid some 30-odd years later.

I did write to Crowley a few times and rarely got responses. I did get one that sounded generic, like his staff member hadn't even read my email.

With Jonathan Bingham, it harks back to a memory of Halloween 1964, where President Lyndon Johnson and Robert F. Kennedy were supposed to ride a motorcade through our neighborhood (which was a lot safer for a Kennedy than Dealey Plaza) on a campaign trip for RFK's senatorial race and we all lined up on Tremont Avenue to wait. Representative Bingham was there waiting as well and we all went over--all kids, mind you--and greeted him and shook hands with him. (One of my friends got his attention by shouting, "Yo, Bingham!") He was very nice. When the motorcade passed through we were on the wrong side of the street and missed it, but my older brother claims to have seen it. I would eventually see Robert F. Kennedy marching in a Labor Day parade three years later in 1967.

It might seem odd to you that once upon a time kids knew who their congressman was and actually greeted him. Somehow I don't think that's very common now, although I'm thinking Rep. Ocasio-Cortez may one day have such an experience.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 11-07-18 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-07-18, 09:19 PM   #2
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: Were you ever represented by a congressperson you liked?

Basically all of them in my lifetime. (Portland, OR)

I like Wyden (though not the lisp). Blumenauer, DeFazio, Elizabeth Furse, Les Aucoin ...

Even though we're a racist state, we got the good representation.

My Countdown Counting down to: someone reading my countdown.
767 days 13 hours 22 minutes
Old 11-07-18, 09:24 PM   #3
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Although I am liberal about some things such as the environment and women's rights I am a fiscal conservative. I think the government is too big and spends taxpayers' money like crazy. I've lived in mostly poor neighborhoods most of my life where the majority of my neighbors received some government assistance, so they always elect the type of politician who loves to spend money.
Old 11-07-18, 09:26 PM   #4
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime View Post
Although I am liberal about some things such as the environment and women's rights I am a fiscal conservative. I think the government is too big and spends taxpayers' money like crazy. I've lived in mostly poor neighborhoods most of my life where the majority of my neighbors received some government assistance, so they always elect the type of politician who loves to spend money.
Did you mean to post this in another thread?

My Countdown Counting down to: someone reading my countdown.
767 days 13 hours 22 minutes
Old 11-07-18, 10:26 PM   #5
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee View Post
Did you mean to post this in another thread?
I believe he was offering an explanation of why his answer to my question is a firm "no."
Old 11-08-18, 02:19 AM   #6
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like my representative, Peter Defazio. I even vote for him, despite being more conservative.
Old 11-08-18, 07:26 AM   #7
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime View Post
Spending the taxpayer's money isn't a problem. That's what they are suppose to do. The problem is spending money they don't have.
Old 11-08-18, 07:36 AM   #8
DVD Talk Legend

I liked Heather Wilson. She ran for senate, and lost the primary to a right-wing candidate. She occasionally followed her conscience instead of voting the party line, an admirable but extinct quality.
Old 11-08-18, 08:18 AM   #9
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Tip O'Neill was my congressman when I moved to Boston. I liked him.
Old 11-08-18, 09:11 AM   #10
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have lived my entire adult life in Oklahoma, so no not a one and that goes for the senators too.
XBL:Cusm • PSN:DarthCusm • D3:Cusm#1847 •
Old 11-08-18, 09:17 AM   #11
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep; I am currently. Very happy with Jim McGovern.
Old 11-08-18, 03:55 PM   #12
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

I am 40 years old and I have been represented by the same congressman my entire life. I even moved and the guy switched districts. Until yesterday. Dana Rohrabacher lost.
Old 11-08-18, 04:14 PM   #13
DVD Talk Legend

Yep Ted Lieu right now. Fantastic hard working guy who is going to be at the forefront of investigating Trump. Came to my door last week and talked for 5 minutes while he was canvassing my neighborhood. He's appeared on MSNBC many times and always speaks truth to power. Couldn't be more happy with the guy.

Old 11-08-18, 04:32 PM   #14
DVD Talk Hero

Very happy with my reps these days
Old 11-08-18, 04:48 PM   #15
Admin-Self Banned

Kathy Castor is my house Rep. She's nice enough. I met her last year. She's completely gerrymandered in her district. Ran unopposed. I hate that even though she's a Dem. Competition is necessary if you want your Rep to do the best for the district.

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 11-08-18, 05:32 PM   #16
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My list of Congress reps:

1982 to 1992: Pete Stark – He was good.

1992 to 1996: Bill Baker - Did not care much for Bill.

1996 to 2002: Ellen Tauscher: - I liked her but lost her to the 2002 redistricting.

2002-2006: Richard Pombo -What a dud. He was born into wealthy family and probably would not have amounted to much without his family money. He had a lot of ethical scandals and finally in 2006, despite having a 7 pt registration advantage he lost reelection. At the time he was the first person in California history to lose an election with such a significant registration advantage. Job well done Pombo!

2007-2012: Jerry McNerney – I liked Jerry, he did California and the Nation a favor by defeating Pombo. Lost McNerney to redistricting.

2013 – Present: Eric Swalwell: Like Eric, he isn’t afraid to call out Republican BS. He might have a future on the national stage.
Old 11-08-18, 06:41 PM   #17
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
2013 – Present: Eric Swalwell: Like Eric, he isn’t afraid to call out Republican BS. He might have a future on the national stage.
Apparently he's announced a 2020 presidential bid, so ...
Old 11-09-18, 09:07 AM   #18
DVD Talk God

Between Jim Moran and Don Beyer, no.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 11-09-18, 01:44 PM   #19
DVD Talk Reviewer

Jeff Merkley. He was the real deal as a local state rep (came to community meetings, worked with constituents on issues important to them no matter how big or small) and has been a fine senator.

He is truly a humble man; last time I saw him he was shopping at a Target in his old neighborhood, one specifically that was in a beleaguered mall that is often the butt of jokes and was going about his day like a normal person.
Old 11-09-18, 02:18 PM   #20
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Never.
Old 11-10-18, 03:40 PM   #21
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dennis Kucinich was a great congressman.

Whether or not you agreed with his politics, he (or his staff) were able to offer assistance to constituents who were tangled up in govt red tape.
Old 11-10-18, 03:43 PM   #22
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Dana Rohrabacher lost.
Old 11-10-18, 03:49 PM   #23
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Neil Smith, who represented Iowa’s 4th district until I was in high school. At the time the district included Des Moines.

Now Des Moines is in the 3rd district and the 4th is Steve King territory.