Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Anti-semitism in Germany

Old 09-01-18, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Anti-semitism in Germany

I saw this in the CBS news last night. It really doesnít start getting insane until the last 60 seconds.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/recent...anti-semitism/

Germany has created a Chancelor in Charge of anti-semitism, and while the piece points out that 90% of crimes against Jews in Germany are carried out by nationalist right-wingers this guy says that Muslim immigrants are to blame for anti-Semitic violence, and CBS just runs it. They just let him fucking make the claim and they donít even really challenge it.
Old 09-01-18, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Anti-semitism in Germany

This isn't a real response like you probably want, just Vibs ruminating; but my first thought upon seeing this link is that if I were Jewish (I'm not), the last place on this planet I would ever set foot would be Germany or eastern Europe.
Old 09-01-18, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No doubt. I laughed long and hard when I watched this last night. But in that very morbid sort of way. Germany is so goofy. “First ever anti-semitism commissioner, Felix Klein” sounds like a joke. If you saw it in a movie you’d say it was too silly. And the guy blames Muslims for hatred towards Jews in a country that murdered 11 million people! You can’t make this shit up, people.
Old 09-01-18, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
This isn't a real response like you probably want, just Vibs ruminating; but my first thought upon seeing this link is that if I were Jewish (I'm not), the last place on this planet I would ever set foot would be Germany or eastern Europe.
"Hey gang! Let's go backpacking in North Korea!. What could go wrong?"
Old 09-01-18, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I am and I'd like to answer that. My entire family, both sides was from Eastern Europe. Of course I want to visit where my ancestors lived. It's also important to see where they were murdered so that we never forget. In addition, when I visit Europe I like to see the major countries and sites and think Germany and Austria are very pretty and worth visiting just as a tourist. I certainly don't want to feel unwelcome because of my religion or ancestry (though I already do in the Middle East outside of Israel and won't go to, or fly through, other Middle Eastern countries).
It's a complicated relationship with the place to be sure (I have never bought a German car and never will). For the most part, in my life, Germany has been very sensitive about their evil history and done their best to make sure it doesn't rise again -- freedom of speech is limited there to eliminate Nazi symbols. But fascism is rising everywhere. especially in Europe and the US, as we all know. As the holocaust is their eternal shame, it's not that surprising that young Germans might want to put the Holocaust behind them and blame the Jews for problems that their country might be suffering. It's a scary time throughout the world now and I bet Germany wants to stay out ahead of it.

As far as what the Chancellor says, that's something else. There is a lot of animosity between Muslims and Jews and a lot are really brought up to hate Jews and hate Israel. So while I'm very concerned about the rise of fascism in Europe, I can certainly also believe that there may be Muslim-instigated violence and hatred at Jews as well. I know some Jewish people who moved from London to America a few years ago. They said that America is the last place outside of Israel that they felt was safe for them. They felt unable to live as Jews in England any more. That is REALLY sad to me.

Last edited by Decker; 09-01-18 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-01-18, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We live in scary times.
Old 09-01-18, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jew here. Been to Germany many times, plus Poland and the Czech Republic. I felt perfectly safe in all places (as any American abroad can feel)
Old 09-01-18, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think Vib was implying that Jews wouldn't feel safe in Germany or Eastern Europe but rather why would they ever want to go there after what happened there.
Old 09-01-18, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got the impression from his previous posts that Hokeyboy doesn't look like the Jewish stereotype that hate groups target.
Old 09-08-18, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I saw this in the CBS news last night. It really doesn’t start getting insane until the last 60 seconds.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/recent...anti-semitism/

Germany has created a Chancelor in Charge of anti-semitism, and while the piece points out that 90% of crimes against Jews in Germany are carried out by nationalist right-wingers this guy says that Muslim immigrants are to blame for anti-Semitic violence, and CBS just runs it. They just let him fucking make the claim and they don’t even really challenge it.

Maybe that's because he had a video with a real world example. See 1:43 in your own video.

Also, here's the wikipedia category called "Antisemitism in the Arab world"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...the_Arab_world
Old 09-08-18, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One of my German uncles, who lives in Berlin, wrote me a couple of years ago that anti-Jewish attacks were indeed on the rise, and a fairly common occurence (mostly by Muslim refugees, he claimed, though he holds no anti-Muslim views, as far as I know), and he decided to show his solidarity with Jews by wearing a Star of David on his coat. I haven't asked him if he still does today. He has since retired. At the time he walked to and from his shop every day, which was a trek of a couple of kilometres.
Old 09-08-18, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
I got the impression from his previous posts that Hokeyboy doesn't look like the Jewish stereotype that hate groups target.
Nope. But I've traveled with relatives from the "Ashkenazic"-looking side of the family. They felt the same. As a matter of fact, they felt particularly safe in Germany. As did I, for that matter.

You never forget, of course.
Old 09-08-18, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
Maybe that's because he had a video with a real world example. See 1:43 in your own video.

Also, here's the wikipedia category called "Antisemitism in the Arab world"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...the_Arab_world
Yeah, they do 10% of it, and German right-wingers do 90% of it. But Germany has this ridiculous chancellor whose job, as far as I can tell, is to point out that the Muslims are the problem. Itís fucking nutty.
Old 09-08-18, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Jew here. Been to Germany many times, plus Poland and the Czech Republic. I felt perfectly safe in all places (as any American abroad can feel)
Were you wearing your Tallit and Kippah around Germany?
Old 09-10-18, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Were you wearing your Tallit and Kippah around Germany?
Nah, but I wore some other accouterments te-fill-in.