Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

No jail for Antifa ethics professor who used metal bike lock to assault 7 people

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

No jail for Antifa ethics professor who used metal bike lock to assault 7 people

Old 08-30-18, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This video shows a masked Antifa thug using a bike lock to smash the head of an innocent Trump supporter at Berkeley, California, in April 2017. NSFW:

Some awesomely talented amateur sleuth observers at 4chan later identified the thug based on his partially visible face, his clothing, and several other things.

Any one of these things by itself is pretty meaningless. But taken together, it is extremely likely that they identified the correct person.

The police also did their own investigation, and when they searched the person's house, they found clothing and other items that matched that of the person in the video. Phone records also show that the person was present during the assault.

And it turns out that the thug is left wing Diablo Valley College “ethics” professor Eric Clanton.

Clanton supports shoplifting, opposes private ownership of property, and has defended convicted cop killer Mumia Abu-Jamal.

Here are some articles and other information about the evidence that the amateur investigators at 4chan used to identify Clanton. Any one of these pieces of evidence by itself would not mean much. But when all of them are put together, the odds of it not being Clanton are infinitesimal:

Here's a new article which says that he won't be getting any prison time for his brutal assaults against innocent Trump supporters. It says he used the metal bike lock to assault the heads of least least seven people. It also details the evidence the police found in his home tying him to these attacks. It's completely despicable that he's not getting any prison time for what he did:

https://www.berkeleyside.com/2018/08...k-assault-case

Eric Clanton takes 3-year probation deal in Berkeley rally bike lock assault case

August 8, 2018

A former East Bay college philosophy professor who was charged with four counts of felony assault with a deadly weapon, causing great bodily injury, has taken a deal resulting in three years of probation for an attack at a Berkeley protest last year, court records reveal.

Eric Clanton had been linked by police to violent assaults with a metal bike lock during a “free speech” rally in Berkeley on April 15, 2017. Before his arrest, Clanton had been “outed” online, on the website 4chan, as someone who used a bike lock to strike a man in the head. The assault was captured in a video clip (below) that drew widespread attention and anger after it was posted on YouTube.

Wednesday, Clanton was supposed to have had his preliminary hearing, where a judge decides whether there’s enough evidence in a case for it to move ahead to trial. Instead, there was no hearing, and information about Clanton’s plea deal became available online.

According to Alameda County Superior Court records, Clanton entered a “no contest” plea Wednesday to one misdemeanor battery charge. The felony charges against him were dismissed, and an allegation that he had caused serious bodily injury was stricken. A misdemeanor charge that Clanton wore a mask during the commission of the crime also was dropped.

Clanton’s three years of probation begin Wednesday and last through Aug. 8, 2021.

Police said, previously, that Clanton attacked at least three people with a metal U-lock during the April 15 rally in and around Civic Center Park. Court papers later revealed that Clanton struck at least seven people in the head, according to authorities. One person received a head laceration that required five staples to fix. Another was uninjured but had a piece of a helmet broken off. A third was struck across the neck and back, police wrote.

Police wrote that they had found evidence last year during a search of Clanton’s home in San Leandro linking him to “Anti-Fascists and Anarchy political groups,” according to court papers. He was not home when police arrived, so officers moved to a second address in West Oakland where they said they found flags, patches and pamphlets “associating Clanton” with antifa and anarchist groups. Investigators arrested Clanton there.

Detectives said they “recovered U-locks, sunglasses, a glove, jeans, and facial coverings” consistent with items worn during the April 15 assaults, according to court documents. And a camera found at the San Leandro home contained “selfies” taken by Clanton, police said, “with him wearing black clothing and facial coverings” consistent with April 15.

Police said in court documents that Clanton’s phone records placed him near Civic Center Park during the time of the protest assaults, too.

Police wrote that other photos they found showed Clanton “posing next to Anarchy symbols.” An “Iron Front” tattoo on his bicep, photographed while he was being logged into jail, “is associated with Anti-Fascists,” too, according to court papers.

Sometime before his arrest, police said Clanton tried to discuss the April 15 assaults with staff at Diablo Valley College — where he taught in 2015 and 2016 — and “never stated he wanted to proclaim his innocence.” He retained attorney Dan Siegel prior to his arrest and designated Siegel as his representative, police wrote.

When he was taken into custody last year, Clanton “immediately invoked his rights to an attorney” and declined to be interviewed by police, according to court papers.

It wasn’t the first time Clanton had been arrested in connection with East Bay demonstrations, police said last year. On Jan. 9, 2014, the California Highway Patrol in Oakland arrested him at Highway 24 and Interstate 980 during a Black Lives Matter protest on suspicion of committing a “public nuisance,” and “willfully and maliciously” blocking a street, sidewalk or other public place. Both are misdemeanors. Police reported no charges in that case, however, or any prior convictions.

Berkeleyside has attempted to reach Clanton’s attorney and the Alameda County district attorney’s office for comment. This story will be updated if that information becomes available.
Old 08-30-18, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: No jail for Antifa ethics professor who used metal bike lock to assault 7 people

So the prosecution offered him a plea deal and he got 3 years probation?

Is that surprising for a first offense?

Sounds like normal American justice system to me.
Old 08-30-18, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: No jail for Antifa ethics professor who used metal bike lock to assault 7 people

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
So the prosecution offered him a plea deal and he got 3 years probation?

Is that surprising for a first offense?

Sounds like normal American justice system to me.

It's not a first offense. Please read the second to last paragraph.
Old 08-30-18, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
It's not a first offense. Please read the second to last paragraph.
Being arrested for something you aren't charged with (especially like being a "public nuisance") isn't an offense.
Old 08-30-18, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

People make plea deals all the time, including right wingers.
Old 08-30-18, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, but the guy who got hit wasn't on the curb.

Last edited by inri222; 08-31-18 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-30-18, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
People make plea deals all the time, including right wingers.

Right winger or left winger, I always hope that any violent thug will get the maximum possible punishment that is allowed by law.
Old 08-30-18, 08:03 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hope they feel really bad and lose sleep over it.
Old 08-30-18, 08:05 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I hope they eat a chocolate chip cookie but after the first bite, they realize it's actually raisins.
Old 08-30-18, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Right winger or left winger, I always hope that any violent thug will get the maximum possible punishment that is allowed by law.
That very well may be true, but it sure seems like you are more concerned about violence committed by Antifa than violence from Neo Nazis or the Klan. That seems, to be kind, misinformed.
Old 08-30-18, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Then your issue is with the US justice system because plea deals are regularly employed by DAs all the time. Furthermore, your zeal to punish is exceedingly authoritarian, which seems at odds with your libertarian leanings.
Old 08-31-18, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
That very well may be true, but it sure seems like you are more concerned about violence committed by Antifa than violence from Neo Nazis or the Klan. That seems, to be kind, misinformed.

Then I guess you missed these recent posts of mine:

August 25, 2018

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/13395326-post1181.html

I hope those white male thugs in Colorado who murdered their wives and children get prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
August 24, 2018

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/13394892-post9281.html

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
What a fucking asshole.

Man urinated on 5-year-old girl playing hide-and-go-seek, called her racial slur, police say

https://wgntv.com/2018/08/23/man-uri...l-slur-police/
What a scumbag.

I see that he is getting prosecuted. I hope they put as many charges on him as is legally possible, and I hope he gets tried by a jury of decent human beings.

August 24, 2018

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/13394603-post3760.html

I hope those right wing thugs get prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
August 21, 2018

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/13392903-post3748.html

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
"the pen is not mightier than the AK-47"

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">VOICEMAIL FROM A FAN: “You’re the problem. You are the enemy of the people. And although the pen might be mightier than the sword, the pen is not mightier than the AK-47.” <a href="https://t.co/hKHTsGm9KL">pic.twitter.com/hKHTsGm9KL</a></p>&mdash; Kenneth P. Vogel (@kenvogel) <a href="https://twitter.com/kenvogel/status/1031645012008873984?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 20, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
I hope whoever made that threat gets prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
Old 08-31-18, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Then your issue is with the US justice system because plea deals are regularly employed by DAs all the time. Furthermore, your zeal to punish is exceedingly authoritarian, which seems at odds with your libertarian leanings.

This was not a victimless crime, like someone smoking marijuana in the privacy of their own home, or consenting adults engaged in prostitution.

These were violent crimes, with actual victims.

It's not "authoritarian" for me to want this violent criminal to spend time in prison.

Last edited by grundle; 08-31-18 at 02:16 AM.
Old 08-31-18, 06:05 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

This video shows a masked Antifa thug using a bike lock to smash the head of an innocent Trump supporter at Berkeley, California, in April 2017. NSFW:

I'm against violence against protesters, but at this point there's no such thing as an "innocent Trump supporter" IMO. Anyone who supports him is complicit in his attempts to weaken, if not destroy, American institutions and norms.
Old 08-31-18, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hard to miss that Feminist Tears label and the shit he was spewing as he got hit. I too am against protester violence, but I'm also not going to pretend anybody on either of those front lines was doing anything but trying to instigate a reaction from the other side. The innocents in the crowd would have left the situation.
Old 08-31-18, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Then I guess you missed these recent posts of mine:
I guess what we're saying here is we'd like you to come in with the same amount of anger and outrage when a white cop is exonerated after shooting an unarmed black man (or a similar situation), instead of defending the cop and/or blaming the victim, getting shown over and over again that you were wrong, then finally sheepishly admitting a tepid "I hope they're prosecuted to the full extent of the law"

Grundle, you may not be a racist and misogynist, but you really need to understand that the articles you usually cite come from VERY racist/misogynist sources. So it's kinda hard not to lump you in as one as well.'

Seriously, start a thread sometime showing the same outrage as you do when a liberal transgresses, and we'll see you as more open minded than what we currently do.
Old 08-31-18, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some awesomely talented amateur sleuth observers at 4chan later identified the thug based on his partially visible face, his clothing, and several other things.
Are these the same amateur sleuths who misidentified the Boston Marathon bombers, the Pulse Nightclub Shooter, the Charlottesville car attacker, and are up to their nuts in Qanon?
Old 08-31-18, 12:24 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

^ Yes.
Old 08-31-18, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Are these the same amateur sleuths who misidentified the Boston Marathon bombers, the Pulse Nightclub Shooter, the Charlottesville car attacker, and are up to their nuts in Qanon?
Just last week they also misidentified the dead Jacksonville Maddon shooter as an anti-Trump liberal. Of course the dead guy they identified immediately started posting on reddit calling them idiots and making fun of them.
Old 08-31-18, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Old 08-31-18, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This was a very run-of-the-mill sentence for this type of crime. I just had a case this morning where a guy got three years probation for trying to murder his domestic partner by hitting them with his car and pinning them to a wall, and got this case dismissed after serving two years of that probation and now has a petition going to expunge their entire record.
Old 08-31-18, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
This was a very run-of-the-mill sentence for this type of crime. I just had a case this morning where a guy got three years probation for trying to murder his domestic partner by hitting them with his car and pinning them to a wall, and got this case dismissed after serving two years of that probation and now has a petition going to expunge their entire record.

Then our judicial system is even more messed up than I had thought.

Thanks for your post.

On edit: I see you live in the Bay Area. Maybe it's just certain parts of California where the judicial system is that messed up. I don't think anyone who did either one of those things in my city (Pittsburgh) would avoid jail time.
Old 08-31-18, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
I guess what we're saying here is we'd like you to come in with the same amount of anger and outrage when a white cop is exonerated after shooting an unarmed black man (or a similar situation), instead of defending the cop and/or blaming the victim, getting shown over and over again that you were wrong, then finally sheepishly admitting a tepid "I hope they're prosecuted to the full extent of the law"

Grundle, you may not be a racist and misogynist, but you really need to understand that the articles you usually cite come from VERY racist/misogynist sources. So it's kinda hard not to lump you in as one as well.'

Seriously, start a thread sometime showing the same outrage as you do when a liberal transgresses, and we'll see you as more open minded than what we currently do.

I have never defended a police officer whom I knew was guilty.

What I have done is pointed out situations where a person who got shot by a police officer was not as innocent as some people wanted us to think. For example, if someone tries and fails to grab a police officer's gun, that person is not innocent, and we should not pretend that they are.

Last edited by grundle; 08-31-18 at 04:39 PM.