Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Antifa protestors assault Bernie Sanders supporter for carrying an American flag

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Antifa protestors assault Bernie Sanders supporter for carrying an American flag

Old 08-22-18, 08:40 AM
Political Exile

This is really despicable.

I hope these thugs get prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/...n_flag_to.html

He brought an American flag to protest fascism in Portland. Then antifa attacked him

August 20, 2018

Paul Welch came to the downtown protest Aug. 4 to let his political leanings be known.

With pride he clutched his U.S. flag as he moved among the crowd of like-thinking demonstrators.

Soon a group of black-clad anti-fascist protesters, also known as antifa, demanded he lose the flag, calling it a fascist symbol. Welch refused, and a tug-of-war ensued.

It ended with Welch taking a club to the back of the head, lying on the ground in a pool of his own blood.

Only Welch was not a Proud Boy, a Patriot Prayer supporter or among the other conservative activists who descended into the area that day, many from out of town.

He was one of hundreds of progressive Portlanders who had turned out to oppose the right-wing rally held at the Tom McCall Waterfront Park.

"I didn't come as a part of any one group," Welch said in an interview with The Oregonian/OregonLive. "I was just protesting outsiders coming here for their tacitly fascist event."

Anger following the demonstration has largely been directed at Portland police, whose use of "less-lethal" riot-control weapons on counter-protesters hospitalized at least three people and injured several others.

But others, like Welch, became targets of violence at the hands of protest participants, even as police kept rival political factions apart. A video taken of his attack has been viewed more than 800,000 times online.

Many have assumed the tussle over a U.S. flag placed Welch squarely in the right-wing camp.

Not so.

"I had felt like showing that a liberal, free Portland — or any major city, really — is much more American and much more numerous and strong than any of these interloping groups," he said.

A "slightly progressive leftist" by his telling, Welch is a registered Democrat in Oregon, voting records show. He cast his ballot for Bernie Sanders in the 2016 presidential primary and Hillary Clinton in the general election, he said.

The 38-year-old line cook is also no stranger to street protests in Portland. He said he attended the Women's March held during the weekend of Donald Trump's inauguration.

This summer, Welch, who works six days a week at a catering company, stopped by the Occupy ICE encampment on his days off to bring protesters water, toilet paper and sunblock, he said.

He's no fan of Trump or the president's policies. Nor of Patriot Prayer, whose repeated rallies in Portland, Welch believes, have little purpose other than to inflame the city's liberal residents.

"They're just offensive," he said.

That is why Welch said he decided to show up to the counter-protest with an American flag, an emblem more common among the conservative activists than those who have demonstrated against them.

"The right and certainly a lot of smaller groups like Patriot Prayer might rush to things like the flag and try to take it up as, 'This is our symbol exclusively,'" he said. "Part of my thinking was to take it back."

Aside from a few odd looks, Welch did not encounter any problems when he joined hundreds of other counter-protesters who gathered at City Hall late that morning.

In fact, Welch said, he saw several other people with American flags sprinkled among the group of progressives, union members and social justice activists.

The trouble started as the throng began to march east along Southwest Salmon Street toward Naito Parkway about 12:30 p.m.

As he carried his flag, two people dressed in black and covering their faces approached Welch and demanded he turn it over to them, calling it "a fascist symbol," he said.

Welch refused, and the counter-protesters ripped it out of his hands, he said.

Welch wouldn't relinquish the flag.

Video captured by Mike Bivins, a freelance journalist, shows what happened next.

As Welch and the counter-protesters wrangle over the flag, another masked counter-protester begins to strike Welch's body from behind using a weapon concealed in black fabric.

That person then uses the weapon to club Welch on the back of the head, causing him to collapse instantly. The demonstrator with the weapon wanders off.

"My bones turned to Jell-O and I just went down," said Welch, who believes he was struck with a metal object affixed to the end of the weapon.

The video shows a crowd of onlookers watching as Welch lay on the ground in a fetal position. Another counter-protester, holding a shield, appears to stand above the injured man and jabs him with a makeshift weapon.

"I remember thinking there was a very good chance that I could be beaten to death," Welch said.

As blood began to pool around Welch's head, a group of volunteer street medics rushed to his aid, he said. Another medic eventually got Welch into a car and drove to an urgent care clinic on North Interstate Avenue.

It took four staples to close the 3-inch gash in the back of his head, Welch said. He spent the next two days recovering from a concussion, though he was able to return to work.

That week, Welch filed a police report. Sgt. Chris Burley, a Portland police spokesman, confirmed the bureau opened an investigation into the incident.

Effie Baum, a spokesperson with Popular Mobilization, a group that helped organize the counter-protest at City Hall, declined to comment for this story.

In the days since the attack, Welch has felt conflicted and a bit disappointed, he said.

"It strikes me as the worst sort of political theater," he said of what happened to him. "It's kind of like you're playing into your opponents' hands when you do that sort of thing. That's not what I was there for."
Old 08-25-18, 01:41 PM
Political Exile

Re: Antifa protestors assault Bernie Sanders supporter for carrying an American flag

No responses?

I'll take care of that.

"Grundle, if you had actually bothered to read more than just the heading, you would know that it was actually the Bernie Sanders supporter who assaulted the Antifa protestors!"

"Grundle, it's a good thing the forum rules prevent me from calling you an ignoramus!"

"Grundle, this thread is one of the reasons I'm glad I have you on ignore!"
Old 08-25-18, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Re: Antifa protestors assault Bernie Sanders supporter for carrying an American flag

Antifa are just thugs who want to fight. Their actions are not noble.
Old 08-25-18, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
No responses?
What kind of response are you hoping to generate?
Old 08-25-18, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What, from the two people who don't have him on ignore?
Old 08-25-18, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster View Post
The usual ridicule?
Old 08-25-18, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Antifa are just thugs who want to fight. Their actions are not noble.
Just like BLM, they’re nothing but a terrorist organization.
Old 08-25-18, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Antifa should just go away. They are not helpful. Violence is counter-productive.
Old 08-26-18, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
Antifa should just go away.
But then Fox News would have no “Violent Left” group to talk about!
Old 08-26-18, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Unlike some members of the forum, I've been opposed to Antifa since they first appeared on the scene. I'm not very surprised that their desire to use street violence as a political tool has resulted in an innocent person being injured.
Old 08-26-18, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That asshole is lucky he got off with a simple beating, what with the way he was in the middle of the street.
Old 08-26-18, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Just like BLM, they’re nothing but a terrorist organization.
I never fucking said that. You are beyond low, dude. Straighten your shit out. Maybe go post some more garbage memes.
Old 08-26-18, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I never fucking said that. You are beyond low, dude. Straighten your shit out. Maybe go post some more garbage memes.
If I'm below low, what does that make you, when you laughed at Leslie Jones from the new Ghostbusters film being compared to an ape on twitter?
Or when you got warned by a mod for using the expression "CP time."

Oh the hypocrisy!
Old 08-26-18, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

None of that is anything like what you did. You put words into my mouth. You made the incorrect and stupid assumption that I have some problem with BLM.

You’re doing schoolyard stuff. Hunting for my old posts to try and find shit. Internet Informant. Pretty impressive sleuthing there gumshoe. Go find Carmen San Diego and don’t come back.
Old 08-26-18, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

None of that is anything like what you did. You put words into my mouth. You made the incorrect and stupid assumption that I have some problem with BLM.

You’re doing schoolyard stuff. Hunting for my old posts to try and find shit. Internet Informant. Pretty impressive sleuthing there gumshoe. Go find Carmen San Diego and don’t come back.
Old 08-26-18, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can someone tell me what this discussion has to do with Antifa?
Old 08-26-18, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ask what's in Grundle's head.
Old 08-26-18, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Old 08-27-18, 11:15 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster View Post

I was hoping that people would post their opiinion on this subject.
Old 08-27-18, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Did you think anyone would support the violence here?
Old 08-27-18, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Let's hear yours first. And not just "I hope these people are prosecuted to the full extent of the law". People who commit violence should be prosecuted. That's a given. We want to know why you posted this story to begin with.
Old 08-27-18, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That ain’t his style.
Old 08-27-18, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
A grundle thread turns into a clusterfuck? Who woulda thunk it!
Old 08-27-18, 01:28 PM
Admin-Thanos

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0kRyKbFkA9I" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by VinVega; 08-27-18 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-27-18, 03:13 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Did you think anyone would support the violence here?

Probably not.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.