Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Grand Jury: Catholic Church Covered Up Child Abuse in Pennsylvania for Decades

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 08-14-18, 05:48 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I think this news deserves its own thread...

Catholic Church Covered Up Child Sex Abuse in Pennsylvania for Decades, Grand Jury Says
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/14/u...nsylvania.html
Bishops and other leaders of the Roman Catholic Church in Pennsylvania covered up child sexual abuse by more than 300 priests over a period of 70 years, persuading victims not to report the abuse and police officers not to investigate it, according to a report issued by a grand jury on Tuesday.

The report, which covered six of the state’s eight Catholic dioceses and found more than 1,000 identifiable victims, is the broadest examination yet by a government agency in the United States of child sexual abuse in the Catholic Church. There have been ten previous reports by grand juries and attorneys general in the United States, according to the research and advocacy group BishopAccountability.org, but those examined single dioceses or counties.
The full Grand Jury report is here: http://media-downloads.pacourts.us/I...s.pdf?cb=42148

This is disgusting and sad.
I grew up Roman Catholic, but never encountered or heard about this kind of thing happening in my area. I truly wonder how widespread this issue is, what with the big Spotlight/Boston story that spawned a movie, and now this.

edited to add: Here's the list from the movie Spotlight where major abuse scandals have been uncovered:
Spoiler:
Old 08-18-18, 04:56 PM
Admin-Thanos

Re: Grand Jury: Catholic Church Covered Up Child Abuse in Pennsylvania for Decades

I also grew up Roman Catholic. I'm not really practicing anymore, but hearing this is very sad and is another black eye on the church. These abuses cannot happen anymore and those who cover it up should be punished as harshly as those who commit the crimes.
Old 08-18-18, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Re: Grand Jury: Catholic Church Covered Up Child Abuse in Pennsylvania for Decades

In other news, water is wet.

Boston was just the tip of the iceberg it seems. Not that anyone is really surprised.

I think every major city on the east coast had similar abuses during the same time period. How could they not when the Catholic Church kept moving around the suspects? Maybe even the whole US.
Old 08-20-18, 11:32 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, well, this settles it I guess. Nothing to see here. /s

Old 08-20-18, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I grew up Catholic in the Boston archdiocese and I never heard of anything like this either. But we lived in a liberal, educated, and reasonably wealthy parish which would not have put up with that kind of thing.

Focusing on sexual abuse kind of ignores the other damage that bad priests were causing. A friend of mine described how when she was a girl in Iowa, after she got into a bicycle accident her knees were badly skinned and leaking plasma. A priest required her to kneel for confession, which hurt, and when she was done and stood up, her skin stuck to the kneeler. It hurt a lot. At that moment she heard the priest chuckle. He knew what was going on and he enjoyed it.

So long as we focus exclusively on the kiddie rapers, that sadist's legacy will be treated with honor. The church needs a thorough cleaning. It's like a police department with corrupt cops -- the good work that the honest cops do can't keep up with the destruction caused by the bad cops.
Old 08-20-18, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan View Post

https://twitter.com/JoeMyGod/status/1030184152212025345
He's right that there is a distinction between molestation and rape.

However, when he gets into a snit because some priests who were child-molesters are being lumped in with the child-rapists, or when he points out that some of the rapists were hebephiles instead of pedophiles, it seems like he's trying to deflect attention by hairsplitting instead of facing the very real problem.
Old 08-20-18, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've never understood why these priests weren't simply fired/defrocked. They went to so many lengths to cover it up and move them around. Just get rid of them, like any other employer would do.

Not only is it monstrous to let these men get away with these crimes and supply them with fresh vicitims, it's inevitably going to come out and make the Church look complicit (which they totally were). I'd wash my hands of the lot of them.
Old 08-20-18, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I've never understood why these priests weren't simply fired/defrocked. They went to so many lengths to cover it up and move them around. Just get rid of them, like any other employer would do.

Not only is it monstrous to let these men get away with these crimes and supply them with fresh vicitims, it's inevitably going to come out and make the Church look complicit (which they totally were). I'd wash my hands of the lot of them.
Because vocations have been declining and it's expensive to train new priests. It's all about the money.
Old 08-20-18, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Says the guy who defended a Chilean Bishop accused of commiting sexual abuse.

Pope Francis On Clergy Sex Abuse: 'We Showed No Care For The Little Ones'

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/20/64016...he-little-ones
Old 08-20-18, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post

I think every major city on the east coast had similar abuses during the same time period. How could they not when the Catholic Church kept moving around the suspects? Maybe even the whole US.
"East coast", "whole US"? Fuck, they've been pulling this shit all over the world for years. The whole morally bankrupt organization should be torn down IMO (not that it ever will).
Old 08-20-18, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just so we're clear, this has been happening and been in the news for years right? Because the way this particular case keeps getting talked about, it's like it's the first anybody has heard of this, but I've been hearing about it for probably decades at this point.

Am I imagining things?
Old 08-20-18, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Don’t get rid of them, just relocate them to a different part of the world. Good job Vatican.

South America has become a safe haven for the Catholic Church’s alleged child molesters. The Vatican has no comment.

https://www.pri.org/stories/2015-09-...hild-molesters
Old 08-20-18, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, and probably places in Asia and Africa too where these scumbags are doing "god's work".
Old 08-20-18, 06:00 PM

Is there a director that can be fired?
Old 08-20-18, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dan View Post

https://twitter.com/JoeMyGod/status/1030184152212025345
Ahhh... the "just the tip" defense.
Old 08-20-18, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Is there a director that can be fired?
God. I fired him from my life years ago.
Old 08-20-18, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

We need to start RICOing these bastards.

Seize their fucking churches, bank accounts, and other property/ assets. Lots of church officials need to face charges and prison sentences. Not just the predators, but those whorotected them.

The catholic church has been running an international pedophile ring for decades. It's long past due for the secular governments to put their foot down.
Old 08-20-18, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
Just so we're clear, this has been happening and been in the news for years right? Because the way this particular case keeps getting talked about, it's like it's the first anybody has heard of this, but I've been hearing about it for probably decades at this point.

Am I imagining things?
This is the first time a scandal this big has happened in PENNSYLVANIA.

PENNSYLVANIA.
Old 08-21-18, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle View Post
This is the first time a scandal this big has happened in PENNSYLVANIA.

PENNSYLVANIA.
These two may have a different opinion about being the first time this happened in PA

Old 08-21-18, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
These two may have a different opinion about being the first time this happened in PA

Damn! I thought I was being clever.

Who can keep up with all this child sex abuse?!
Old 08-21-18, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
God. I fired him from my life years ago.
I wish he had a better system for "testing people's faith" than allowing thousands of his spokesmen to abuse countless children for hundreds of years. (I shouldn't say countless. God knows how many victims there were. He's omnipresent, so he was in the room patiently watching while every child was victimized.)

And I agree that the church needs to start paying a penalty for this. Protecting child molesters, hiding them from prosecution and essentially allowing them to continue their crimes isn't simply a mistake. The church is rotten to the core, and they don't seem to be motivated by doing the right thing. Maybe losing some of their ill-gotten gains would be a decent incentive.
Old 08-21-18, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not defending Catholicism, but let's not also forget that this goes on in every religion.
Old 08-21-18, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Not defending Catholicism, but let's not also forget that this goes on in every religion.
Old 08-21-18, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Scandals involving 300+ priests abusing over 1,000 kids happens in every religion?
Old 08-21-18, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Scandals involving 300+ priests abusing over 1,000 kids happens in every religion?
One abused child is one too many.

Child Abuse Allegations Plague the Hasidic Community

https://www.newsweek.com/2016/03/11/...yn-432688.html

Royal commission reveals scale of child sexual abuse in Anglican church
More than 1,100 complaints made over 35 years about attacks by clergy and laypeople, new data shows

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...nglican-church

The sin of silence
The epidemic of denial about sexual abuse in the evangelical church

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...elical-church/

And the list goes on and on..................

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.