Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 07-21-18, 06:24 PM   #1

James Gunn Fired by Disney: The Political Thread

Political side of the discussion begun here:

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...r-plummer.html

"The Borg is a species" -- Tracer Bullet (Citation)
Old 07-21-18, 07:10 PM   #2
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Re: James Gunn Fired by Disney: The Political Thread

A targeted attack coordinated by a right-wing rape apologist provocateur (also responsible for signal-boosting Pizzagate and other shitty conspiracy theories) and his legion of adoring fans. As far as I can tell, there were few (if any) progressives attacking Gunn or insisting he be fired for tweets Disney already knew about. For all the complaints about "PC culture" and "left wing shaming mobs" and the like, knowing that this attack is the complete opposite, stemming from people who've made those exact complaints, it just goes to show how disingenuous their moral outrage really is.

By giving in to this particular group of trolls (one could argue that the news was barely news at all until Disney acted upon it), it sets a precedent that, with enough pressure, this group can target anyone they like with as weak of a reason as they like. Even Ted fucking Cruz has jumped in to accuse Gunn:

Quote:
Ted Cruz @tedcruz
US Senate candidate, TX
Wow. These #JamesGunn tweets are just horrible. Child rape is no laughing matter. As Texas SG, I handled far too many child sexual assaults. Truly evil. I’m glad Disney fired him, but if these tweets are true, he needs to be prosecuted.
This whole thing isn't about smearing just James Gunn. The common tactic for this group is to go for the pedophile angle whenever humanly possible. They know exactly what they're doing:

He also got Sam Seder fired from MSNBC because of an old joke about Roman Polanski defenders. Luckily, MSNBC changed course a day or so later. There have been others, no doubt. SPLC (whether you respect them or not) has a good profile on the guy that's worth reading.

Disney's gonna do what Disney's gonna do, and that's on them. But caving to this particular group of trolls, and so quickly, was the wrong move to make.

A fantastic piece on the methods at play here:
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0fd5c73c570ac

Last edited by Dan; 07-21-18 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-21-18, 07:12 PM   #3
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

again, I think it is purely about the pedophilic (?) nature of the tweets in question and the fact that it was Disney. If it were anything but that... even just the reprehensible rape joke stuff, I think he'd still have a job after some sensitivity training and a mini-apology tour.

however Gunn numerous times a day used twitter as a platform to attack Trump and other high profile politicians and celebs he didn't agree with... and when you do that you open yourself up to people digging into your past to look for stuff to use against you... and low and behold, they found the motherlode.

and while people can change over time, it just doesn't help that the guy was fucking 40 when he posted that stupid shit.

we live in scary times when it comes to this hypersensitivity stuff... instant swift "justice"... guilty until proven innocent... fire first and sort it all out later. shudder.

Last edited by TGM; 07-21-18 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-21-18, 07:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
A targeted attack coordinated by a right-wing rape apologist provocateur (also responsible for signal-boosting Pizzagate and other shitty conspiracy theories) and his legion of adoring fans. As far as I can tell, there were few (if any) progressives attacking Gunn or insisting he be fired for tweets Disney already knew about. For all the complaints about "PC culture" and "left wing shaming mobs" and the like, knowing that this attack is the complete opposite, stemming from people who've made those exact complaints, it just goes to show how disingenuous their moral outrage really is.

By giving in to this particular group of trolls (one could argue that the news was barely news at all until Disney acted upon it), it sets a precedent that, with enough pressure, this group can target anyone they like with as weak of a reason as they like. Even Ted fucking Cruz has jumped in to accuse Gunn:

This whole thing isn't about smearing just James Gunn. The common tactic for this group is to go for the pedophile angle whenever humanly possible. They know exactly what they're doing:

He also got Sam Seder fired from MSNBC because of an old joke about Roman Polanski defenders. Luckily, MSNBC changed course a day or so later. There have been others, no doubt. SPLC (whether you respect them or not) has a good profile on the guy that's worth reading.

Disney's gonna do what Disney's gonna do, and that's on them. But caving to this particular group of trolls, and so quickly, was the wrong move to make.

A fantastic piece on the methods at play here:
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0fd5c73c570ac
Well said.

I have no idea if this will happen, but I wouldn't cry if Disney got significant backlash over this. Also, I'm not sure exactly how keeping Gunn would have hurt them; just who would have complained and what would the complainers have done? IMO, letting an alt-right rape apologist drive their decision should come with its own consequences, but who knows what will happen?
Old 07-21-18, 07:56 PM   #5
DVD Talk Special Edition

He's digging through the twitter accounts of other people who have been critical of him, and collecting their old tweets declaring they're pedophiles now. Since Michael Ian Black and Patton Oswalt are professional comedians, this may not play out the same as with Gunn, but we'll see.
It's very clear what his motivtion is too, notice he even points out Oswalt is a "Cernovich hater". It's obvious why he's doing this, and it's not due to the faux concern he's trying to play up.

Last edited by Bob_Bobbson; 07-21-18 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-21-18, 08:06 PM   #6

Old 07-21-18, 08:11 PM   #7
DVD Talk Hero

Mike Cernovich is a batshit crazy conspiracy theorist. He shoudn't be "banned", much like Alex Jones, he should just be ignored.
Old 07-21-18, 08:13 PM   #8

I've got nothing against comedians making tasteless jokes. But I've gotta say, Michael Ian Black seems oddly obsessed with young boys. Long before this whole Cernovich brouhaha. He keeps making jokes about having sex with little boys. I'm not going to be surprised if he's arrested for something creepy one of these days.
Old 07-21-18, 08:32 PM   #9
DVD Talk Reviewer

God help us if Cernovich discovers The Aristocrats.
Old 07-21-18, 08:35 PM   #10
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee View Post
God help us if Cernovich discovers The Aristocrats.
Or standup comedy.

I wasted my thoughts in the other thread.
Old 07-21-18, 08:50 PM   #11
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Mike Cernovich is a batshit crazy conspiracy theorist. He shoudn't be "banned", much like Alex Jones, he should just be ignored.
He should be banned. He's guilty, along with Alex Jones, of posting and promoting fake news. This is the reason why people are mad at Twitter and Facebook for saying that they are getting rid of fake accounts and accounts that spread fake news, yet these two miscreants continue to spout their fake conspiracy theories bullshit with no repercussions. Even worse, both social media sites give them those checkmarks, which makes their accounts seem legit and relevant.

As I said in the Guardians thread, this is a targeted attack, one in which they are committing libel by calling all these directors and comedians pedofiles. And now you add the dumbfuck of Ted Cruz saying this:

So something that was played for laugh and said in jest on Twitter 10 years ago is now something that these right wing imbeciles not only want to pile on, but now make assumptions that they are even remotely true. Where were all these dumbfucks when Roy Cooper was running for election in Alabama? Cause you see, Cooper is an actual pedofile. Why aren't all these assholes piling on Trump, who's another well know pedofile? Of course, since both of these dips hits are part of the GOP and one of them is the actual president, then they decide that is party over country.
Old 07-21-18, 09:38 PM   #12
DVD Talk Legend

I'm surprised Twitter is still losing money. It still appears to be popular.

Gunn could have used Trump's "locker room talk" defense.
Old 07-21-18, 10:29 PM   #13
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
He should be banned. He's guilty, along with Alex Jones, of posting and promoting fake news. This is the reason why people are mad at Twitter and Facebook for saying that they are getting rid of fake accounts and accounts that spread fake news, yet these two miscreants continue to spout their fake conspiracy theories bullshit with no repercussions. Even worse, both social media sites give them those checkmarks, which makes their accounts seem legit and relevant.

As I said in the Guardians thread, this is a targeted attack, one in which they are committing libel by calling all these directors and comedians pedofiles. And now you add the dumbfuck of Ted Cruz saying this:

So something that was played for laugh and said in jest on Twitter 10 years ago is now something that these right wing imbeciles not only want to pile on, but now make assumptions that they are even remotely true. Where were all these dumbfucks when Roy Cooper was running for election in Alabama? Cause you see, Cooper is an actual pedofile. Why aren't all these assholes piling on Trump, who's another well know pedofile? Of course, since both of these dips hits are part of the GOP and one of them is the actual president, then they decide that is party over country.
I think you mean Roy Moore - and yeah, he was an actual pedophile who Ted Cruz fucking endorsed, and yet he's crying these crocodile tears over 6 year old jokes. Fuck the lot of these disingenuous assholes.
Old 07-21-18, 10:41 PM   #14
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So, if Disney buys 20th Century Fox, are they going to can Seth MacFarlane and stop production of "Family Guy"? I mean, if they're going to can people for creating offensive content, they're going to have their hands full if they purchase that studio.

But, on the flip side, who cried for Roseanne, when she was shown the door earlier this year? We, on the left better be prepared to take what we dish out to others.

Last edited by PatD; 07-22-18 at 12:48 AM.
Old 07-21-18, 11:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatD View Post
But, on the flip side, who cried for Roseanne, when she was shown the door earlier this year? We, on the left better be prepared to take what we dish out to others.
The equivalent is more like Roseanne being fired now because of her national anthem performance years ago. I donít think there is really much of any comparison.
Old 07-21-18, 11:51 PM   #16
DVD Talk Hero

Why would ABC want Roseanne to be the face of their network this fall? I’m still amazed people don’t get that.
Old 07-22-18, 12:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Why would ABC want Roseanne to be the face of their network this fall? Iím still amazed people donít get that.
To use your logic, because seemingly half the country is happy to watch people do anything that ďpisses of the libsĒ?
Old 07-22-18, 01:35 AM   #18
DVD Talk Special Edition

So it ends up that tweet Cernovich and his supporters are spreading all over from Patton Oswalt is the second part of a two part troll tweet he made specifically to show that people on twitter will take things out of context and make a big deal out of them.

...it just took 5 years for it to happen.

Old 07-22-18, 02:19 AM   #19
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson View Post
So it ends up that tweet Cernovich and his supporters are spreading all over from Patton Oswalt is the second part of a two part troll tweet he made specifically to show that people on twitter will take things out of context and make a big deal out of them.

...it just took 5 years for it to happen.

I remember reading those when Oswalt did it. He got all kinds of grief from people who fell right for it
Old 07-22-18, 04:18 AM   #20
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostLee View Post
Well said.

I have no idea if this will happen, but I wouldn't cry if Disney got significant backlash over this. Also, I'm not sure exactly how keeping Gunn would have hurt them; just who would have complained and what would the complainers have done? IMO, letting an alt-right rape apologist drive their decision should come with its own consequences, but who knows what will happen?
Maybe Disney is concerned that if they kept Gunn, then Cernovich and his buddies could start a gamergate style shitstorm right before the film opens.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 07-22-18, 05:25 AM   #21
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Disney is in the process of trying to buy Fox- a sale that could be impeded if this administration so chose.

Cernovich saw a way to make brownie points with both Trump and Murdoch. It not only takes down a vocal Trump critic, it has a chilling effect on others who would voice their opinions as to the current state of affairs- a time in history when traitors deserve to be called out.

Disney rolled over quickly because it didn't want anything to frustrate the acquisition.

That's what I believe this is about.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 07-22-18 at 05:30 AM.
Old 07-22-18, 08:02 AM   #22
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
Disney is in the process of trying to buy Fox- a sale that could be impeded if this administration so chose.

Cernovich saw a way to make brownie points with both Trump and Murdoch. It not only takes down a vocal Trump critic, it has a chilling effect on others who would voice their opinions as to the current state of affairs- a time in history when traitors deserve to be called out.

Disney rolled over quickly because it didn't want anything to frustrate the acquisition.

That's what I believe this is about.
That's right. M&A is so complex and expensive, and this deal is so huge for Disney, that they are going to control for whatever they can control for to reduce risk. The last thing you as a decision maker want to do is be the person who makes the call to keep Gunn on, have the deal torpedoed, then answer to your board and shareholders about it.

In plain terms, they would be willing to end the Guardians of the Galaxy movie series entirely if it paved the way for the Fox acquisition. Replacing a director? It's not even a question.
Old 07-22-18, 10:18 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Maybe Disney is concerned that if they kept Gunn, then Cernovich and his buddies could start a gamergate style shitstorm right before the film opens.
Maybe you're right. Maybe they're worried about that kind of publicity. What I'm hoping for is that they get just as much, or more, bad publicity for caving to this alt-right trash. Maybe we should all make sure that happens by tying Disney to Cernovich and his ilk every chance we get, not letting them forget it or sweep it under the rug.
Old 07-22-18, 11:12 AM   #24
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Old 07-22-18, 11:34 AM   #25
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I think you mean Roy Moore - and yeah, he was an actual pedophile who Ted Cruz fucking endorsed, and yet he's crying these crocodile tears over 6 year old jokes. Fuck the lot of these disingenuous assholes.
Yes, Roy Moore. Cooper is good governor of my state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonX View Post
The equivalent is more like Roseanne being fired now because of her national anthem performance years ago. I donít think there is really much of any comparison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatD View Post

I'll one up JasonX on this. It would be if Roseanne got fired for the dressing as Hitler cookies in the oven photoshoot. Roseanne got hired in spite of that, even though she's not contrite about it and has double downed on it saying that it's comedy. Roseanne got fired for the racist tweet she made after being on the show's revival and doubling down on it, which she still does to this day.