Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Signs of Hope For Racial Progress

Old 05-31-18, 11:05 AM
Banned

Signs of Hope For Racial Progress

I saw this story (https://abcnews.go.com/International...ry?id=55483363) a few days ago (before it was posted in the "Other" forum), and it got me to thinking that we focus on the negatives so much that it makes us lose sight of the goals. As R. Kennedy said (paraphrasing), Some see the way things are and ask "why?"; I dream of things that aren't and ask "why not?"

To use an analogy, in public school teaching, there was an emphasis on positive instruction (both for students and teachers). Workshops tried to improve instruction and encourage educators that things can get better, and I learned those lessons both as a learner and as a presenter at teacher education seminars. Constantly focusing on the negative has negative effects; I'll never forget the first day of teacher in-service one year when the one-term school superintendent began his "Welcome back" speech by haranguing the teachers (we had 28 schools in our system) and telling us that we were lucky to have a job. Set a great tone for the upcoming year.

Just yesterday, I was coming out of a DVD/game store next to PetSmart and randomly met an older black gentleman coming out of that store. We both smiled and waved at the same time, and that led to a conversation in the parking lot. We found out that we both had a lot in common growing up in rural areas..me in East TN, he in Georgia in a place called "McDonough" (have to look it up) somewhere north of Macon. We must have talked ten minutes reminiscing about the life growing up (and avoiding the cowpiles while playing ball), and when we parted, we introduced ourselves (his name is Willie) and both wished the other hope that we'd get our yards mowed before it rained.

Now, that has nothing to do with current racial problems on the national scene, but it does make one think that there is hope in bringing people of different backgrounds together to see that maybe their backgrounds aren't so different at all.

There is definitely a need for threads to discuss racial issues and even the negative examples (attacks upon minorities). Just thought that maybe it would be nice to have the occasional good news or positive accounts of people getting along or accomplishing common goals.

The story of the immigrant in France who saved the kid was inspiring. In addition to his quick action, he admitted being scared when he got to the kid and even gave credit to others (God) for his successful rescue.

If there's no need for such a thread or it doesn't seem political enough (the other posting only got eight comments, and a couple of them touched on politics), then let it be removed or die a quick, painless death.

Personally, I could use some good news now and then.

If you haven't seen the amazing video (better one is posted in the other thread), here's a brief glimpse...doesn't show the entire climb up four floors).

Last edited by creekdipper; 05-31-18 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-03-18, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Signs of Hope For Racial Progress

Thanks for Making Me Feel Good This Morning:
Readers Respond to the Compton Cowboys
The NYT

I first learned that there were horses in Compton, Calif., when my mother and I would go shopping at the Compton Fashion Center in the early 1990s. Years later, I wanted to see if they were still around.
Though the cowboys I had seen growing up were no longer riding their horses through Compton, there was a new generation of young black men, and they called themselves the Compton Cowboys. I stumbled upon their Instagram account and after a Google search saw that they had recently worked with the Irish beer company Guinness on a commercial, which provided some insight into the lives of a group of black men who were trying to eradicate stereotypes about cowboys and Compton by living by the motto “streets raised us, horses saved us.
Original NYT story here
For the Compton Cowboys, Horseback Riding Is a Legacy, and Protection
A group of childhood friends wants to create a safer community and challenge the notion that African-Americans can’t be cowboys

YouTube video and the Guinness commercial below:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pRSThrjT_tk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9HWnO5XZf2M" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-03-18, 11:57 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think the country is becoming less racist (partly because younger people tend to be less so), but the racist people have become more visible and vocal, because they have a voice in the White House and because they can more openly discuss their views on the internet.
Old 06-04-18, 05:01 AM
Banned

I think you're right to a large degree, Psi. On the negative side, the internet does make it possible for racists of all stripes to find sites that attract like-minded individuals to stoke the embers or to anonymously express racist views on more neutral sites. On the plus side, in today's society we read about isolated incidents if racism rather than being surrounded by racist images every time we peruse the grocery store shelves.

And the younger generations do seem less inclined to follow old social taboos. For example, in our own small, conservative southern church, we have several interracial couples who are members who were married in our church (including black, Asian, Hispanic, and white folks). Also several families with adopted children of different races from their parents. Neither of those would have been likely to occur when I was a kid in that same church.

When I made the original post, I wasn't even sure what I was looking for...whether "feel-good" stories, personal anecdotes, general observations, or other. Guess I just wanted a little encouragement to balance the steady stream of negative stories that, while necessary, acc create a toxic, fatalistic, apathetic atmosphere when that's all we ever see.
Old 06-04-18, 07:27 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Guess I just wanted a little encouragement to balance the steady stream of negative stories that, while necessary, acc create a toxic, fatalistic, apathetic atmosphere when that's all we ever see.
We don't achieve that balance by having one side against racism, and the other side defending or minimizing it. The few posts I just read in the "Nation of Cowards" thread are an example of that. That's what leads to the toxic atmosphere you are talking about.
Old 06-04-18, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
We don't achieve that balance by having one side against racism, and the other side defending or minimizing it. The few posts I just read in the "Nation of Cowards" thread are an example of that. That's what leads to the toxic atmosphere you are talking about.
Let's try to change that, I look forward to yourself and other members post's here.
Old 06-04-18, 07:39 AM
Banned

You mean the posts attacking grundle? Well, maybe not "attacking" as much as "ridiculing."

As to "one side...," how do you know which side is which? You have some people who seem to think that they are against racism who appear to be endorsing statements stereotyping an entire race.

That isn't a sign of racial progress.

I believe, as Anne Frank wrote, that most people are really good at heart. At the same time, I think people get tunnel vision when it comes to examining all sides and looking for common ground. I think sometimes humans have the tendency to become so focused on looking at the real errors in other views that they fail to recognize those same tendencies in themselves.

But now the conversation is swinging back to the negative (and that includes my comments), so what say we stay focused on the positive here as msp alluded to?

I'd like to see accounts of various races working together to achieve common goals and improve living conditions for all, address situations that are wrong, and work toward a color-blind world.

Loved the black cowboy story, btw. I've always wished Hollywood would bring more of the historic Old West black cowboys to the big screen.

Last edited by creekdipper; 06-04-18 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-04-18, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Teen Who Was Once Homeless Scores Full Ride to Harvard
"There's a Light at the End of the Tunnel"
When Richard “Tre” Jenkins was a kid, he never imagined he’d attend an Ivy League school.

“It never occurred to me,” the 18 year old tells PEOPLE. “I was homeless for two years … we were hopping from different hotels and staying in homeless shelters.”

Jenkins, of Philadelphia, along with his mother, Quiana McLaughlin, and two brothers, bounced around for years before they finally got a home of their own when Jenkins was about 13. As a kid, Jenkins found comfort in his love of learning, and even drew the ire of bullies who criticized his smarts.

But it seems his bookworm ways have paid off. On March 28, Jenkins learned he’d been accepted to Harvard University — with a full ride.
link

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/q-m1M2-VRus" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">“im the greatest; i’m not stopping until all y’all say it” <a href="https://t.co/HiEWPCsICx">pic.twitter.com/HiEWPCsICx</a></p>&mdash; seth. (@drgnslayerrich) <a href="https://twitter.com/drgnslayerrich/status/980356674555924481?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 1, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 06-04-18, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think the country is becoming less racist (partly because younger people tend to be less so), but the racist people have become more visible and vocal, because they have a voice in the White House and because they can more openly discuss their views on the internet.
Extremists and racists target the young. This is not by accident.

A voice in the WH?

Pathetic.

Might as well say Obama facilitated extremists.
Old 06-04-18, 09:56 AM
Banned

Great story, msp! Never heard of Mighty Writers. Might have to send them a donation.

I used to tutor with Literacy Council (with adults) and with summer programs at one of our local housing projects, so encouraging to see this level of success. Great to see this "bookworm" ignoring those who made fun of his live for learning be rewarded for his dedication.
Old 06-04-18, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Great story, msp! Never heard of Mighty Writers. Might have to send them a donation.

I used to tutor with Literacy Council (with adults) and with summer programs at one of our local housing projects, so encouraging to see this level of success. Great to see this "bookworm" ignoring those who made fun of his live for learning be rewarded for his dedication.
https://mightywriters.org

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/F1V0MeiTq3o" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-04-18, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Going back up a few posts. Yes, Compton at one point was an agricultural neighborhood on the fringes of Los Angeles, but the city kept growing. Growing up near by I heard stories of “Compton isn’t all street gangs. There’s these secret agricultural areas with farms and horses.” I’m glad to see it’s still that way.

Last edited by Mabuse; 06-04-18 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-04-18, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I posted this in the "We are a nation of cowards for not discussing race issues..." awhile back and it was pretty much -ed on by one DVD talk member but I've heard that Tiffany Whittier and Michael Kent's friendship continues to inspire and Hollywood producers are offering to buy rights to their story for it be made into a movie.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ex-neo-Nazi removes swastika tattoos after befriending African-American parole officer: &quot;I look at her as family.&quot; <a href="https://t.co/qOL7PMY5Rf">https://t.co/qOL7PMY5Rf</a> <a href="https://t.co/Oe7kubR0fr">pic.twitter.com/Oe7kubR0fr</a></p>&mdash; ABC News (@ABC) <a href="https://twitter.com/ABC/status/912541010017755137?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 26, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 06-04-18, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here is a recent Tiffany Whittier & Michael Kent video:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CGB3oV8HYXY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-05-18, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, you know shit has gotten real when creek and mspmms start a thread about racial progress. #mindblown

Old 06-05-18, 07:16 AM
Banned

Wakanda Forever!