Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

MSNBC host Joy Reid she says she was hacked

Old 04-25-18, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

MSNBC host Joy Reid she says she was hacked

This story was originally in the Media bias thread because it was being ignored, I have moved it here after it is now being told at the Washington Post

MSNBC host Joy Reid once apologized for homophobic comments on her blog. Now she says she was hacked.

Joy Reid, host of the weekend MSNBC show “AM Joy,” apologized more than four months ago for homophobic comments she admitted to making on her blog in the mid-2000s.

But now she’s suggesting she didn’t write many of the posts in the first place — that instead she was hacked.

The controversy began in December, when a Twitter user named @Jamie_Maz and then Mediaite posted images of homophobic comments ostensibly made by Reid on her blog, the Reid Report, when she was a Florida talk-radio host.

Spoiler:

The blog frequently speculated that the former Republican governor of Florida, Charlie Crist, was a closeted gay man who married a woman as a facade, despite the fact that Crist had never come out as gay. It made fun of a haircut on a straight woman saying that it seemed to indicate she could be a lesbian. And it conveyed disgust of gay kissing and gay sex, leading the author to confess that she couldn’t bring herself to watch “Brokeback Mountain.”

In her December apology, Reid wrote:

“As someone who is not a member of the LGBT community I regret the way I addressed the complex issue of the closet and speculation on a person’s sexual orientation with a mocking tone and sarcasm. It was insensitive, tone deaf and dumb. There is no excusing it — not based on the taste-skewing mores of talk radio or the then-blogosphere, and not based on my intentions.”

But after @Jamie_Maz and Mediaite published a second round of blog post images Monday, Reid disputed them, revealing that she consulted with a cybersecurity expert in December who “identified unauthorized activity” on her blog.

Reid did not specify which posts she believed were fraudulent or which offensive comments she allegedly didn’t write. She offered no explanation for why she apologized for homophobic comments in December yet now claims a nefarious person must have hacked her.

In a statement to Mediaite, Reid said, “In December I learned that an unknown, external party accessed and manipulated material from my now-defunct blog, The Reid Report, to include offensive and hateful references that are fabricated and run counter to my personal beliefs and ideology.”

“The manipulated material seems to be part of an effort to taint my character with false information by distorting a blog that ended a decade ago,” she said.

Late Wednesday, MSNBC sent The Washington Post an additional statement from Reid’s attorney, John H. Reichman, saying, “We have received confirmation the FBI has opened an investigation into potential criminal activities surrounding several online accounts, including personal email and blog accounts, belonging to Joy-Ann Reid. Our own investigation and monitoring of the situation will continue in parallel, and we are cooperating with law enforcement as their investigation proceeds.”

The Washington Post reviewed more than a dozen blog posts on Reid’s site that were archived on archive.is and written between 2005 and 2010. Other posts were linked to in Mediaite.

In a 2008 post filed under “not gay politicians,” the author doubted the authenticity of Crist’s recent marriage, saying, “I can just see poor Charlie on the honeymoon, ogling the male waiters and thinking to himself, ‘god, do I actually have to see her naked…?’ ”

The author wrote in one, unveiled Monday, that “there are concerns that adult gay men tend to be attracted to very young, post-pubescent types, bringing them ‘into the lifestyle’ in a way that many people consider to be immoral.”

In another post unveiled Monday, the blog said, “Most straight people cringe at the sight of two men kissing. Most straight people cringed at the Snickers commercial. Most straight people had a hard time being convinced to watch ‘Broke Back Mountain.’ (I admit that I couldn’t go to see the movie either, despite my sister’s ringing endorsement, because I didn’t want to watch the two male characters having sex.)

“Does that make me homophobic? Probably.”

In response to questions from The Post Tuesday night about whether MSNBC believed Reid’s claims that she was hacked, a spokesman for the network sent a full-page statement from Reid’s cybersecurity consultant, Jonathan Nichols. The spokesman also included two December letters that an attorney for Reid sent to Google’s parent, Alphabet, and to Internet Archive, which operates the Wayback Machine.

In the letters, attorney John H. Reichman stated that Reid’s blog contained both fabricated posts and “fraudulent additions” in legitimate posts. He said the writing style and viewpoint of the posts don’t match that of a “well-known liberal journalist,” and demanded that Internet Archive remove them from its archives and that Alphabet investigate whether Blogger.com, specifically Reid’s blog, was compromised.

Nichols said in his statement Tuesday, “We discovered that login information used to access the blog was available on the Dark Web and that fraudulent entries — featuring offensive statements — were entered with suspicious formatting and time stamps.”

But the Internet Archive cast doubt on Reid’s hacking story Tuesday.

In a statement responding to Reid’s claims, the Internet Archive said it reviewed Reid’s blog archives after her attorney contacted the company. The archives are no longer available on the Wayback Machine because somebody used its automated system to end screen captures of Reid’s blog in recent months, the company said.

“When we reviewed the archives, we found nothing to indicate tampering or hacking of the Wayback Machine versions,” Butler’s statement said. “At least some of the examples of allegedly fraudulent posts provided to us had been archived at different dates and different entities.”

The Washington Post has reached out to Reid for comment on her differing statements about the blog posts.

Her change, of course, drew swift criticism — most notably from the LGBTQ advocacy organization PFLAG National, which rescinded its Straight for Equality in Media award from Reid on Tuesday.

“When we extended our invitation to Ms. Reid to honor her at our 45th anniversary celebration, we did so knowing about the blog posts from the late 2000s regarding Charlie Crist,” PFLAG National President Jean Hodges said in a statement. “We appreciated how she stepped up, took ownership, apologized for them, and did better — this is the behavior and approach we ask of any ally. However, in light of new information, and the ongoing investigation of that information, we must at this time rescind our award to Ms. Reid.”
Remainder of story spoilerized

Mediaite story -Link

Joy Reid Claims Newly Discovered Homophobic Posts From Her Blog Were ‘Fabricated’
“In December I learned that an unknown, external party accessed and manipulated material from my now-defunct blog, The Reid Report, to include offensive and hateful references that are fabricated and run counter to my personal beliefs and ideology.

I began working with a cyber-security expert who first identified the unauthorized activity, and we notified federal law enforcement officials of the breach. The manipulated material seems to be part of an effort to taint my character with false information by distorting a blog that ended a decade ago.

Now that the site has been compromised I can state unequivocally that it does not represent the original entries. I hope that whoever corrupted the site recognizes the pain they have caused, not just to me, but to my family and communities that I care deeply about: LGBTQ, immigrants, people of color and other marginalized groups.”
Old 04-25-18, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: MSNBC host Joy Reid she says she was hacked

I'd like to see some forensics experts investigate Reid's claim that her accounts were hacked. I'd certainly like to believe that she is innocent.
Old 04-25-18, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So are you saying Joy Reid is actually Republican?

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
I'd certainly like to believe that she is innocent.
I'm sure.
Old 04-25-18, 11:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
So are you saying Joy Reid is actually Republican?

Where did you come up with that?
Old 04-26-18, 12:59 AM

It would be funny if the hackers were only responsible for the apology.
Old 04-26-18, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
This story was originally in the Media bias thread because it was being ignored, I have moved it here...
So instead of taking the hint that no one was interested you decided to start another thread?

Last edited by WCChiCubsFan; 04-26-18 at 01:45 AM.
Old 04-26-18, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
So instead of taking the hint that no one was interested you decided to start another thread?

You forgot to quote this part:

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
I have moved it here after it is now being told at the Washington Post

And it is getting a lot of media attention:

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...y-posts-550213

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...y-reid/558935/

https://www.theroot.com/joy-reid-may...-ha-1825547082

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...re-not-n869136

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...ng-hacked.html
Old 04-26-18, 06:49 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Apparently someone must have also forced her at gunpoint to "apologize(d) more than four months ago for homophobic comments she admitted to making on her blog in the mid-2000s." Why would someone apologize for something they supposedly never did? I wouldn't.

I call bullshit.
Old 04-26-18, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I watch Joy Reid on Weekends (I like to watch the looney lefty shows just to see what the other side is saying). This is just another example where there are just as many racists/homophobes on both sides of the aisle. I have white liberal friends who preach inclusion, tolerance, diversity, yet they go home every night in the suburban/white neighborhoods and send their kids to predominantly white private schools. As George Carlin used to say about White Liberals, "They love diversity, but not in my back yard!"

In saying that, I hope she doesn't lose her job over this the same way I didn't think Laura Ingraham should lose her job going after David Hogg. I think you let the market decide, and if their ratings plummet, then you get rid of both of them. I just hate the mob mentality on both sides (especially on Social Media) when they want to bring someone from the other side down.
Old 04-26-18, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
You forgot to quote this part.....
I did not forget that part, it simply was not germane to my comment.
Old 04-26-18, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

PFLAG rescinded the Straight in Equality award they were going to give Reid in May:

When we extended our invitation to Ms. Reid to honor her at our 45th anniversary celebration, we did so knowing about the blog posts from the late 2000s regarding Charlie Crist.
We appreciated how she stepped up, took ownership, apologized for them, and did better—this is the behavior and approach we ask of any ally. However, in light of new information, and the ongoing investigation of that information, we must at this time rescind our award to Ms. Reid.
For whatever it's worth (and...y'know, not much):

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here's the statement of security consultant Jonathan Nichols regarding the claims of blog-hacking by MSNBC's Joy Reid. <a href="https://t.co/wGAui8Mfa5">pic.twitter.com/wGAui8Mfa5</a></p>&mdash; ErikWemple (@ErikWemple) <a href="https://twitter.com/ErikWemple/status/988963435412107264?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 25, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 04-26-18, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If anyone watches Joy Reid, her whole 2 hour show on Weekends is dedicated to how crazy Donald Trump is and how much she hates him, etc. Yet she LOVES Trump when he was feuding with Rosie O'Donnell!

http://freebeacon.com/uncategorized/...-donald-trump/
Old 04-26-18, 11:04 AM
Admin-Thanos

I think she might be getting her walking papers (just my opinion). It's MSNBC though, so I'm sure they can get someone to get low ratings in the same time slot.
Old 04-26-18, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
PFLAG rescinded the Straight in Equality award they were going to give Reid in May:

For whatever it's worth (and...y'know, not much):

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here's the statement of security consultant Jonathan Nichols regarding the claims of blog-hacking by MSNBC's Joy Reid. <a href="https://t.co/wGAui8Mfa5">pic.twitter.com/wGAui8Mfa5</a></p>&mdash; ErikWemple (@ErikWemple) <a href="https://twitter.com/ErikWemple/status/988963435412107264?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 25, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
More information on Joy Reid’s cyber-security expert Jonathan Nichols:

Old 04-26-18, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
I watch Joy Reid on Weekends (I like to watch the looney lefty shows just to see what the other side is saying). This is just another example where there are just as many racists/homophobes on both sides of the aisle. I have white liberal friends who preach inclusion, tolerance, diversity, yet they go home every night in the suburban/white neighborhoods and send their kids to predominantly white private schools. As George Carlin used to say about White Liberals, "They love diversity, but not in my back yard!"

In saying that, I hope she doesn't lose her job over this the same way I didn't think Laura Ingraham should lose her job going after David Hogg. I think you let the market decide, and if their ratings plummet, then you get rid of both of them. I just hate the mob mentality on both sides (especially on Social Media) when they want to bring someone from the other side down.
The free market did decide with Ingraham. Her advertisers pulled their support.
Old 04-26-18, 11:16 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

"Information security" is immediately after that. I know it's hard to read a full sentence, but it would be nice if you tried.
Old 04-26-18, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I think she might be getting her walking papers (just my opinion). It's MSNBC though, so I'm sure they can get someone to get low ratings in the same time slot.
I think your right does not look good:

Daily Beast Suspends Joy Reid Column Over ‘Serious’ Accusations About Past Homophobic Blog Posts

The Daily Beast will suspend future columns from Joy Reid due to the fallout over comments she made on an old blog a decade ago, the website’s executive editor Noah Shachtman told staff in an internal memo on Wednesday.
Old 04-26-18, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
"Information security" is immediately after that. I know it's hard to read a full sentence, but it would be nice if you tried.
Oh, I read it, was not germane to my point.
Old 04-26-18, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
No, no, no. That was mob mentality...
Old 04-26-18, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If anyone watches Joy Reid, her whole 2 hour show on Weekends is dedicated to how crazy Donald Trump is and how much she hates him, etc.
And her ratings are way up because of it.
Old 04-27-18, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually...

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb...-viewership-20

Since Left’s Boycott Began, Ingraham Viewership Up 20%
Old 04-27-18, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
Apparently someone must have also forced her at gunpoint to "apologize(d) more than four months ago for homophobic comments she admitted to making on her blog in the mid-2000s." Why would someone apologize for something they supposedly never did? I wouldn't.

I call bullshit.
From what I've read, in he mid-2000s she accused former Republican governor Charlie Crist of being a closeted gay man, despite the guy being married to a woman. That's what she apologized for. Speculating on someone's sexual orientation.

All the other stuff about not being able to watch Brokeback Mountain, gay sex is gross, and seemingly to agree with anti-Muslim sentiment is what she's denying.
I'm assuming this Joy Reid has always been a liberal Democrat, so I find it hard to believe she'd say these things openly on her blog-at-the-time "The Reid Report."
Maybe it's true though. The Atlantic story points to it being highly unlikely she was hacked.
This was weird:

It’s not possible to view the Internet Archive’s public stash of Reid blog posts because Reid’s team recently inserted code into the site that prevents the Internet Archive from indexing it.
Old 04-27-18, 05:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Some people find it hard to make a comment without including a cutting remark.
Old 04-27-18, 06:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Capitalist pigs!
Old 04-27-18, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Some people find it hard to make a comment without including a cutting remark.
Physician, heal-thy-fucking-self.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.