Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Are lawns constitutional? If only Frankturfer or Dougrass were still on the court...

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Are lawns constitutional? If only Frankturfer or Dougrass were still on the court...

Old 04-02-18, 07:43 PM
Political Exile

Janice Duffner lives in St. Peters, Missouri, where she owns a house. Because she is allergic to grass, she does not have any in her yard. She does have other plants, which she is not allergic to. The Kansas City Star published a photograph of her yard in the article below (I have spoilerized the image due to its size).

Six years after Ms. Duffner bought her house, the city passed a law that requires all houses to have grass in their yard. After Ms. Duffner told the city that she was allergic to grass, the city threatened her with 20 years in prison and fines totaling $180,000 if she does not comply.

U.S. District Judge John A. Ross recently ruled against Ms. Duffner. Ms. Duffner plans to appeal this ruling. I hope she wins.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/state...207665734.html

Turf war: Court says Missouri couple must plant grass, even though wife is allergic

April 2, 2018
Spoiler:

Janice and Carl Duffner's yard in St. Peters, Mo., is planted with flowers because she is allergic to grass.

A Missouri couple decided to turn their entire yard into a flower garden.

It turns out, that was against a city ordinance, which says half of residents' yards must be grass turf.

But the wife is allergic to grass.

Now a federal judge has ruled: tough.

So Janice and Carl Duffner are vowing to fight on.

Their city of St. Peters, near St. Louis, put the Duffners on notice that they must comply with the law.

The Duffners said at the time they filed their civil rights action in late 2016 they were subject to penalties of $180,000 and 20 years in jail for non-compliance.

"If the city is permitted to impose draconian fines and imprisonment simply because a citizen chooses to cultivate on their own private property lawful, harmless plants of their own choosing instead of a potentially harmful plant of the government's choosing, there is no longer any principled limit to the government's control over either the property or the owners," the Duffners' complaint stated.

The Duffners bought their home in 2002 and began landscaping that included planting beds, two small ponds, pathways and seating areas. The St. Peters Board of Aldermen adopted the turf ordinance in 2008. At some point, an unidentified person complained to the city that the Duffners had no grass.

The Duffners asked for an exemption but were denied. Instead, the Board of Adjustment in 2014 told them to plant at least 5 percent of their property with grass. They refused.

In its response to the federal complaint, the city noted that the Duffners had first gone to circuit court in St. Charles County and had lost there because they had failed to exhaust their administrative remedies. After a mixed ruling from the Missouri Court of Appeals, the Duffners turned to federal court.

U.S. District Judge John A. Ross last week ruled for the city, saying the Duffners "have failed to identify a fundamental right that is restricted by the Turf Grass Ordinance." The judge said the Supreme Court has held that "aesthetic considerations constitute a legitimate government purpose."

Ross also said the Duffners failed to demonstrate that the penalties for violating the turf ordinance are excessive and contrary to the Eighth Amendment.

The Duffners' attorney, David Roland of the Freedom Center of Missouri, told the Riverfront Times that the couple will appeal.

"My estimation is that this is one of the most important property rights cases in the country right now," he said. "We're going to go all hands on deck."
Old 04-02-18, 08:19 PM

Re: Woman allergic to grass could get 20 years prison for not having grass in her yar

Why waste time and money on a prison sentence? Death penalty. NOW.
Old 04-02-18, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Woman allergic to grass could get 20 years prison for not having grass in her yar

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I think capital punishment is probably excessive, but you could at least ban him.
Old 04-02-18, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spend the money that they would to incarcerate her and help her get some artificial grass for her yard. Gotta keep those prisons packed for profit.
Old 04-02-18, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
Spend the money that they would to incarcerate her and help her get some artificial grass for her yard. Gotta keep those prisons packed for profit.

-------

Surely this piece of shit state has to make an exception for this woman. It's morally wrong to jail her because she don't want grass on her property which is hazardous for her health.

Are we America or Iraq?
Old 04-02-18, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Worse, Missouri.
Old 04-02-18, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was born in Missouri and lived there for the first 32 years of my life. Shit like this is why I'll never leave Kansas, sucky as IT is.
Old 04-02-18, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I think capital punishment is probably excessive, but you could at least ban him.
Sorry grundle, that was freakin' funny!

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
When I was on our village board, I suggested something similar to this at one point. It cost about $200 to provide a dumpster for a resident to use to clean up his/her property. Pursuing a negligent property owner started with a letter from our attorney which cost $250 and the costs just spiraled from there as most cases simply became pissing matches.

It makes more sense fiscally and in terms of serving your residents to provide them with assistance rather than persecution. The way my fellow aldermen reacted, you would have thought I suggested we buy the property and fix it up for the property owner. (But then, these are the same aldermen who insisted on allowing landlords to keep profiting while the village took the losses for the landlords' tenants who skipped out on utility bills.)

Admittedly I am not familiar with Missouri law and municipal code, but in Illinois you cannot receive jail time or prison time for ordinance violations. Municipalities cannot pass "laws" -- they can only pass ordinances.

The other thing I noticed in the article was that they passed this ordinance 6 years AFTER she had bought her property and swapped the grass out for other flora.
Old 04-03-18, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

A few thoughts.

First of all, I actually read the opinion in this case. Here's what happened.

The City of St. Peters had an ordnance stating that yards must be at least 50% grass. The Duffners went to the City's Board of Zoning Adjustment, and the Board granted a variance to 5% grass. The Duffners refused to comply with that and filed a lawsuit in state court. The state court case was dismissed because the Duffners hadn't bothered to exhaust the city's zoning process before running to court, and because the Duffners claimed the ordnance violated their rights, but hadn't specified what rights they thought were being violated. So the Duffners then ran to federal court. The Federal Court said, in essence "a) we're not going to let you do an end-run around the state court, and b) there's a rational basis for the turf grass ordnance, so you can't have it declared unconstitutional."

So, you have a couple who doesn't like a local law -- fine, that's their right. So rather than work through the process, they run to court, and when they don't like what the first court tells them (in essence "Stop whining and work through the system"), they run to a second court.

Second of all,

Who.

Fucking.

Cares.

This is one stubborn couple and one stubborn city. Why the fuck does this get its own thread? It sure would be great if the user who posted this offered his opinions on why I'm supposed to care about this couple, or this case. Why is he posting about this one and not, for example, Crystal Mason, whose legal troubles have much more impactful implications for society as a whole.
Old 04-03-18, 12:56 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why the fuck does this get its own thread? It sure would be great if the user who posted this offered his opinions on why I'm supposed to care about this couple, or this case.
So, ok to shoot him?
Old 04-03-18, 04:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
I thought so, too, until I realized that the commentator was serious (on all counts).

(Also chuckled at your own "When I was on our village board"...picturing a group of quaintly-dressed residents of The Shire sitting around an oaken table with flagons of ale and long-stemmed pipes in hand).

As for the lady in question, I'd just apply the Harry Reid tax compliance philosophy to the larger judicial system and remind her that compliance with all laws in the USA is "voluntary."
Old 04-03-18, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
I was born in Missouri and lived there for the first 32 years of my life. Shit like this is why I'll never leave Kansas, sucky as IT is.
At least you got rid of Fuckback.
Old 04-03-18, 09:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
At least you got rid of Fuckback.
Zuckerberg no longer allowed in Missouri?
Old 04-03-18, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A few thoughts.

First of all, I actually read the opinion in this case. Here's what happened.

The City of St. Peters had an ordnance stating that yards must be at least 50% grass. The Duffners went to the City's Board of Zoning Adjustment, and the Board granted a variance to 5% grass. The Duffners refused to comply with that and filed a lawsuit in state court. The state court case was dismissed because the Duffners hadn't bothered to exhaust the city's zoning process before running to court, and because the Duffners claimed the ordnance violated their rights, but hadn't specified what rights they thought were being violated. So the Duffners then ran to federal court. The Federal Court said, in essence "a) we're not going to let you do an end-run around the state court, and b) there's a rational basis for the turf grass ordnance, so you can't have it declared unconstitutional."

So, you have a couple who doesn't like a local law -- fine, that's their right. So rather than work through the process, they run to court, and when they don't like what the first court tells them (in essence "Stop whining and work through the system"), they run to a second court.
Jason is 100% correct with his analysis. Stupidity begets more stupidity.
Old 04-03-18, 11:36 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post

I think it's funny too!
Old 04-03-18, 11:47 AM
Political Exile

The City of St. Peters had an ordnance stating that yards must be at least 50% grass. The Duffners went to the City's Board of Zoning Adjustment, and the Board granted a variance to 5% grass.

For someone with an allergy, that doesn't necessarily make much of a difference.

The "system" is totalitarian, corrupt, bureaucratic, and expensive. She should not have to "work through" such a system to avoid exposing herself to something that she is allergic to. Just regular common sense should be enough to let her not have grass on her lawn.

Who.

Fucking.

Cares.

This is one stubborn couple and one stubborn city. Why the fuck does this get its own thread? It sure would be great if the user who posted this offered his opinions on why I'm supposed to care about this couple, or this case. Why is he posting about this one and not, for example, Crystal Mason, whose legal troubles have much more impactful implications for society as a whole.

I gave this its own thread because I believe that, simply as a matter of principle, it is a big deal.

You thought it was important enough to write a significant length reply.
Old 04-03-18, 11:49 AM
Political Exile

Re: Are lawns constitutional? If only Frankturfer or Dougrass were still on the court

My original title for this thread was something along the lines of, "Woman with grass allergy could get 20 years prison for not having grass on lawn."

But a mod changed it.
Old 04-03-18, 11:56 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
Jason is 100% correct with his analysis. Stupidity begets more stupidity.

Just because the woman wants to be free of something that she is allergic to without having to go through a massive amount of bureaucracy, time, and expense, does not mean that she is "stupid."

Why not just let common sense prevail on this one?

Who exactly would be harmed if the city just dropped all the charges and let this woman decide what kinds of plants she puts on her own lawn?

This isn't just about a lawn. It's also about the fact that some people want to stick the government's nose into the tiniest aspects of people's lives.
Old 04-03-18, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Are lawns constitutional? If only Frankturfer or Dougrass were still on the court

I'd want to see how close the neighbors' lawns are. On one side of my house, the neighbor's grass is literally two feet from my house.

I think the 5% sounds like a reasonable accommodation that they just didn't want to do.
Old 04-03-18, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
For someone with an allergy, that doesn't necessarily make much of a difference.
Whether the difference between 50% and 5% is significant enough to impact on her allergies is not the point. The point is that our system has processes for challenging ordnances and obtaining variances from ordnances. She didn't follow those processes all the way through so of course she's not getting relief. Is that totalitarianism? Corruption? Only a fool would think so.

As a side note, if this woman's allergies are that severe, she probably shouldn't be living in a climate where grass is commonplace. I know property rights are the be-all and end-all to you, but pollen actually doesn't respect those boundaries, and she's going to run into a hard time when every other piece of property near her house has a 50%-grass yard.

I gave this its own thread because I believe that, simply as a matter of principle, it is a big deal.

You thought it was important enough to write a significant length reply.
What you choose to focus on says a lot about your principles.

I don't think this issue is particularly important. I think how your threads impact this forum is -- not in the grand scheme of things, but certainly with respect to how usable this forum is.
Old 04-03-18, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

As a side note, if this woman's allergies are that severe, she probably shouldn't be living in a climate where grass is commonplace.
I find that baffling as well. I wonder if her 'allergy' is anything like my younger sister droning on and on about how allergic she was to cigarette smoke, making a big show of it whenever relatives would smoke around her, only to be a heavy smoker herself a couple years later.
Old 04-03-18, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
I find that baffling as well. I wonder if her 'allergy' is anything like my younger sister droning on and on about how allergic she was to cigarette smoke, making a big show of it whenever relatives would smoke around her, only to be a heavy smoker herself a couple years later.
Kinda what came to mind to me too.

Sure lady, the reduction from 5% to 0% is totally gonna help ya.
Old 04-03-18, 03:04 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
So you’re saying that this woman will end up smoking grass? Probably a good solution for everyone involved.
Old 04-03-18, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Here are a couple things that do not work well for people with grass allergies:

Planting rocks instead of grass. Grass pollen floats in the air for hundreds of miles, so what’s in your yard is relatively unimportant. It’s the tall grass growing in fields and ditches that sends out pollens.

There’s actually no populated area in the world without grasses, except in Greenland. And relocating there may not be so practical.
Hmmm...
Old 04-03-18, 03:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
My original title for this thread was something along the lines of, "Woman with grass allergy could get 20 years prison for not having grass on lawn."

But a mod changed it.
Expect "Fake News" to be next.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.