Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Laura Ingram - The Countdown

Old 03-30-18, 08:22 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Godfather
Thread Starter
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,446
Laura Ingram - The Countdown

Anyone following Laura's epic fail...to a more intelligent high school student?

I don't agree with the guy but damn...he knows his politics and played her like a banned fiddle in France.

EDIT: Laura Ingra Ham

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 03-30-18 at 11:24 AM.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 08:53 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 20,873
Re: Laura Ingram - The Countdown




wishbone is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 08:56 AM
  #3  
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Posts: 20,131
Re: Laura Ingram - The Countdown

tombraider81? Holy shit, what a fucking loser.

Does he post here on DVDTalk?
Dan is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 09:59 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
mspmms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana. No preferred pronouns
Posts: 13,462
Re: Laura Ingram - The Countdown

On CNN this morning:

<blockquote class="twitter-video" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;What kind of dumbass colleges don't want you?&quot; Alisyn Camerota asks Parkland survivor David Hogg, who says he was rejected from four universities <a href="https://t.co/MUpCMOL8qD">pic.twitter.com/MUpCMOL8qD</a></p>&mdash; CNN (@CNN) <a href="https://twitter.com/CNN/status/979701524782776321?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 30, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
mspmms is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 10:20 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Posts: 30,004
Re: Laura Ingram - The Countdown

Maybe Hogg got rejected by some schools (he was accepted by some also) because he doesn't know when to use "I" and when to use "me":

Originally tweeted by David Hogg
I 100% agree an apology in an effort just to save your advertisers is not enough. I will only accept your apology only if you denounce the way your network has treated my friends and I in this fight. It’s time to love thy neighbor, not mudsling at children.
(The two "onlys" don't help either.)
movielib is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 10:24 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 22,338
Re: Laura Ingram - The Countdown

Originally Posted by movielib View Post
Maybe Hogg got rejected by some schools (he was accepted by some also) because he doesn't know when to use "I" and when to use "me":
That's dirty pool for Hogg to attack her like an adult in the first sentence and to hide behind his identity as a child in the last sentence.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 03-30-18 at 10:31 AM.
Nick Danger is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 10:29 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite
Posts: 1,952
Re: Laura Ingram - The Countdown

Word crimes. The most heinous of all crimes.
Talkin2Phil is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 10:31 AM
  #8  
Admin-Thanos
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
Posts: 31,516
Re: Laura Ingram - The Countdown

I haven't been keeping up with this. Had to google the story. Here's a link to a story about it on Vox.
VinVega is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 10:44 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
mspmms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana. No preferred pronouns
Posts: 13,462
Re: Laura Ingram - The Countdown

Patrick Petty who lost his sister in the Parkland shooting seems to be calling David Hogg out:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I find it funny that <a href="https://twitter.com/davidhogg111?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@davidhogg111</a> wants people to show him love while being nasty and vile to others. Worse than that, he and his friends have not said a word to me since the shooting, considering my sister died on 2/14 don’t you think it would’ve been loving to reach out to me? <a href="https://t.co/8Gn3UsatjI">https://t.co/8Gn3UsatjI</a></p>&mdash; Patrick Petty (@Patrickpetty23) <a href="https://twitter.com/Patrickpetty23/status/979467226075009024?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 29, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
mspmms is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 10:58 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 21,241
Re: Laura Ingram - The Countdown

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
That's dirty pool for Hogg to attack her like an adult in the first sentence and to hide behind his identity as a child in the last sentence.
Yes that's much more outrageous than hiding behind "On reflection, in the spirit of Holy Week" for the reason you apologize to someone.
cungar is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 11:10 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Posts: 30,004
Re: Laura Ingram - The Countdown

Originally Posted by Talkin2Phil View Post
Word crimes. The most heinous of all crimes.
Apparently not if you can get a 4.2 GPA (which, at least in my day when GPAs were limited to 4.0, is like giving 105%) without knowing basic grammar.
movielib is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 11:17 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
gryffinmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ancient City
Posts: 6,538
Re: Laura Ingram - The Countdown

Originally Posted by movielib View Post
Apparently not if you can get a 4.2 GPA (which, at least in my day when GPAs were limited to 4.0, is like giving 105%) without knowing basic grammar.
A lot of extremely smart people aren't the greatest at grammar (or spelling, for that matter).

"You should prefer a good scientist without literary abilities than a literate one without scientific skills." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
gryffinmaster is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 11:22 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 1,145
Re: Laura Ingram - The Countdown

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
Patrick Petty who lost his sister in the Parkland shooting seems to be calling David Hogg out:
Seems like he is pushing his own "agenda" while calling others out for pushing theirs:

Rubio, Hatch, Parkland Families Hold Press Conference on School Safety Bill

I wouldn't be calling out others for hypocrisy when you are doing the exact same thing yourself.
JasonX is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 11:27 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Godfather
Thread Starter
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,446
Re: Laura Ingram - The Countdown

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
Patrick Petty who lost his sister in the Parkland shooting seems to be calling David Hogg out:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I find it funny that <a href="https://twitter.com/davidhogg111?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@davidhogg111</a> wants people to show him love while being nasty and vile to others. Worse than that, he and his friends have not said a word to me since the shooting, considering my sister died on 2/14 don’t you think it would’ve been loving to reach out to me? <a href="https://t.co/8Gn3UsatjI">https://t.co/8Gn3UsatjI</a></p>&mdash; Patrick Petty (@Patrickpetty23) <a href="https://twitter.com/Patrickpetty23/status/979467226075009024?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 29, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
That's great, but I'm calling Laura out for being a complete dumbass. Which is rather typical of Fox News personalities (and media personalities in general, come to think of it). Laura makes some good points occasionally, but she's gotten reckless over the last few months, thinking she's the next Rush and is untouchable. This incident just set her back quite a bit.

In her own words really...being taken down by a high school flunky (or at least her academia implication) who was coincidentally (or not) intelligent enough and smarmy enough to hit her with a one-two punch where she is most vulnerable.

Ms. Ingraham (it does sound more fitting) should have known Hogg would do this. She just decided to be stupid and open herself up to to the reality of her show...which is...she is only there because she has advertisers fill her empty space--which seems to be a lot of spaces, as of current.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 11:31 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 20,873
Re: Laura Ingram - The Countdown

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
tombraider81? Holy shit, what a fucking loser.

Does he post here on DVDTalk?
I read it as tom braider 81.
wishbone is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 11:33 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Godfather
Thread Starter
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,446
Re: Laura Ingram - The Countdown

Originally Posted by JasonX View Post
Seems like he is pushing his own "agenda" while calling others out for pushing theirs:

Rubio, Hatch, Parkland Families Hold Press Conference on School Safety Bill

I wouldn't be calling out others for hypocrisy when you are doing the exact same thing yourself.
So what. He certainly is a hypocrite. The point is that this guy (kid?) managed to play the game better than Laura Ingraham did, and she's 3 or 4 time his age....and been in politics as long as he is old.

He might be a jerk, a political pawn, a hypocrite...but he sure got attention and got what we wanted...now didn't he.

And it seems Laura is herself a hypocrite, due to her attacking somebody personally and not on the issues.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 11:43 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 21,588
Re: Laura Ingram - The Countdown

Originally Posted by movielib View Post
Apparently not if you can get a 4.2 GPA (which, at least in my day when GPAs were limited to 4.0, is like giving 105%) without knowing basic grammar.
It's been more than 20 years since I was in high school, but it was true in the mid-'90s anyway that Honors/AP classes were weighted differently and would allow you get above a 4.0. (I was above 4.0. Can't remember exactly what my GPA was, though.)
Adam Tyner is online now  
Old 03-30-18, 11:44 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 1,145
Re: Laura Ingram - The Countdown

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
So what. He certainly is a hypocrite. The point is that this guy (kid?) managed to play the game better than Laura Ingraham did, and she's 3 or 4 time his age....and been in politics as long as he is old.

He might be a jerk, a political pawn, a hypocrite...but he sure got attention and got what we wanted...now didn't he.

And it seems Laura is herself a hypocrite, due to her attacking somebody personally and not on the issues.
I'm, perhaps shockingly, in full agreement with you here. My post was related to the kid that was calling out Hogg that mspmms brought into the conversation.
JasonX is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 12:09 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Posts: 30,004
Re: Laura Ingram - The Countdown

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
It's been more than 20 years since I was in high school, but it was true in the mid-'90s anyway that Honors/AP classes were weighted differently and would allow you get above a 4.0. (I was above 4.0. Can't remember exactly what my GPA was, though.)
I graduated from high school in 1965 and from college in 1969. We had AP classes too (maybe not called that at the time; I was in some) but an "A" was still just an "A" and counted as a "4."
movielib is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 12:11 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 31,437
Re: Laura Ingram - The Countdown

Originally Posted by movielib View Post
I graduated from high school in 1965 and from college in 1969. We had AP classes too (maybe not called that at the time; I was in some) but an "A" was still just an "A."
Right but that system has changed since 1969.
Draven is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 12:15 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Posts: 30,004
Re: Laura Ingram - The Countdown

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster View Post
A lot of extremely smart people aren't the greatest at grammar (or spelling, for that matter).

"You should prefer a good scientist without literary abilities than a literate one without scientific skills." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
I don't disagree. But it drives me nuts when people have such terrible grammar, especially with such basic things as subject/object pronouns.

Such is the plight of a self-confessed grammar nazi.
movielib is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 12:18 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Posts: 30,004
Re: Laura Ingram - The Countdown

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Right but that system has changed since 1969.
Yes, I know.

A few other things have changed as well. Or I wouldn't be communicating with all of you.

So in other words, some things have changed for the worse.
movielib is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 02:17 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,582
Re: Laura Ingram - The Countdown

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Yes that's much more outrageous than hiding behind "On reflection, in the spirit of Holy Week" for the reason you apologize to someone.
Nick Danger didn't say anything about it being more outrageous than something else.
He's just mamking a valid point: Hogg wants to act like an adult, saying things like "Marco Rubio took $1.05 for every student's life in Florida" and that politicians were taking money from "child murderers," but later he's suddenly a child who shouldn't be criticized. He can mudsling because he's a child but others can't because their adults?

Hogg was insinuating that, because he didn't get accepted to certain colleges, it's due to his social/political activism.
Ingraham says he's whining about it and implies that UCLA has very high standards to get in.
Apparently, at their own website UCLA says that a minimum 3.5 GPA is required but one college prep site says,

If you're a junior or senior, your GPA is hard to change from this point on. If your GPA is at or below the school average of 4.31, you'll need a higher SAT score to compensate and show that you're prepared to take on college academics. This will help you compete effectively with other applicants.
Maybe Hogg's activism DID play a factor in his some colleges rejecting him. But I think he should provide proof of that before making insinuations.

As for Ingraham, I don't think that what she said THIS TIME garners an advertising boycott, but considering the way she's carried herself throughout her career, I don't feel too bad either. Like someone else said, she wants to be like Rush Limbaugh, a political cheerleader saying stupid shit, instead of trying to distribute facts and have honest discussion.
brayzie is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 04:24 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
mspmms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana. No preferred pronouns
Posts: 13,462
Re: Laura Ingram - The Countdown

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
Nick Danger didn't say anything about it being more outrageous than something else.
He's just mamking a valid point: Hogg wants to act like an adult, saying things like "Marco Rubio took $1.05 for every student's life in Florida" and that politicians were taking money from "child murderers," but later he's suddenly a child who shouldn't be criticized. He can mudsling because he's a child but others can't because their adults?
Another Parkland survivor is asking a similar question:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Are you a child or are you an adult that can dictate policy? Pick one. <a href="https://t.co/3SUnPKXUQf">https://t.co/3SUnPKXUQf</a></p>&mdash; Kyle Kashuv (@KyleKashuv) <a href="https://twitter.com/KyleKashuv/status/979453281201217536?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 29, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
mspmms is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 04:39 PM
  #25  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 21,582
Re: Laura Ingram - The Countdown

Lotta whatabouts in the air tonight...

Oh, Lord....
creekdipper is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.