Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Mass Shootings [Merged]

Old 01-27-18, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mass Shootings [Merged]

This is a thread for all mass shootings.

There have been two mass shootings in schools in less than 24 hours. I haven't heard much about either. Two people are dead 18 others wounded in one case. The other case no one has died yet but one girl is in hospital. I don't recall how many other people were shot in that case. Both happen in Texas.

I'm guessing the shooter is white since he was taken alive and trump hasn't twitted anything racist.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kentuck...-school-today/
Old 01-27-18, 11:55 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
re: Mass Shootings [Merged]

Nothing we can do about it so just move along kthx.
Old 01-27-18, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families.
Old 01-27-18, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd stay and talk about this, but I have to go clean my semiautomatic collection.
Old 01-27-18, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Now is not the time to talk about guns!

Of course, since these shootings happen so frequently, it’s apparently never the time.
Old 01-27-18, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families.
I shall "like a Tweet" in their honor!
Old 01-27-18, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

All the appropriate responses have been covered, so now I guess the thread just becomes a list.
Old 01-27-18, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
I'd stay and talk about this, but I have to go clean my semiautomatic collection.
For God sakes, don't trip!
Old 01-27-18, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell View Post

I'm guessing the shooter is white since he was taken alive and trump hasn't twitted anything racist.
Did the white shooter kill non-white people or did he kill Evil White Privileged people.
Old 01-27-18, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Unfortunately, your example of a shooting resulting in two people dead and eighteen people nonfatally shot doesn't rise to the level of being newsworthy. The death toll has to be in the double-digits before it gets noticed. If it isn't, the incident is like an traffic fatality -- only worthy of local coverage.

Times have changed: the 1929 Valentine's Day Massacre of seven gangsters would only be a blip today.
Old 01-27-18, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ The Kentucky shooting merited an article on page 11 of the L.A. Times. That surprised and disappointed me.
Old 01-27-18, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There have been 11 school shootings in 2018. Eleven in 23 days (NB: I don't know if there were any school shootings Wednesday through Friday of this past week. Odds are there was at least one).

This is the world we live in now. They're as commonplace -- and as newsworthy -- as anything else that happens 3 or 4 times a week.

America just does not give a fuck. Let's continue to sacrifice our children on the NRA's blood altar -- it's the price we have to pay to ensure our safety from the paranoid black helicopter delusions.
Old 01-27-18, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish people would back off the NRA.
At least they're trying to fix the world over-population issue. What are you guys doing to help?
Old 01-27-18, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Times have changed: the 1929 Valentine's Day Massacre of seven gangsters would only be a blip today.
Ironically, gangland shootings like that directly resulted in the National Firearms Act.
Old 01-27-18, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Look, if a couple dozen kids have to die so people can use semi-automatic weapons to shoot a deer, I think that’s a small price to pay. I mean, shooting deer!
Old 01-27-18, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Unfortunately, your example of a shooting resulting in two people dead and eighteen people nonfatally shot doesn't rise to the level of being newsworthy. The death toll has to be in the double-digits before it gets noticed. If it isn't, the incident is like an traffic fatality -- only worthy of local coverage.

You blaming the shooters or blaming the media.
Old 01-27-18, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
When something is so commonplace it’s no longer “news”. I’m sure cars were a big deal when they first came out but there’s a reason the front page isn’t “Bill Johnson Drove to Work Today”.

School shootings now occupy the same space.
Old 01-27-18, 03:32 PM
SFX

There has been 120 terrorist attacks so far this year.
Old 01-27-18, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
When something is so commonplace it’s no longer “news”. I’m sure cars were a big deal when they first came out but there’s a reason the front page isn’t “Bill Johnson Drove to Work Today”.

Exactly.

When Kathy Chong got on Flight 1157 to Portland, she didn't expect there to be any trouble. Flight 1157 touched down this afternoon in a bumpy landing, and passengers were frightened. Here is what the landing looked like. Kathy is in town visiting her mother.

A motorcyclist was killed today at Central Avenue and Second Street when an allegedly drunk driver ran a red light. Police arrested the driver at the scene after his blood alcohol level measured 0.20. We're showing you pictures of the scene from Chopper 7.

A high school student shot two of his classmates in a rural part of the state before a courageous teacher wrestled him to the ground and disarmed him. The school is offering grief counseling to its students. One father said that his daughter had a bright future and had applied to several colleges.

That's terrible. My heart goes out to the parents. How's the traffic looking, Bill?
Old 01-27-18, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There was a time when a successful aircraft flight was big news. Never hear about them anymore. Only hear about the crashes. The ever changing reality of expectations.
Old 01-27-18, 04:49 PM
Admin-Thanos

The NRA won. Mass shootings are no biggie anymore.
Old 01-27-18, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Draven View Post

So are we in agreement that shootings are pretty much not important (at least not to those outside the area the shootings happen and not to those immediate relatives) because they don't affect a majority of Americans, do not affect anything accept for the locale the shooting happens in, and thus, we really don't need political discussions on it as it's a waste of time. Much like a road rage news report.

If so, I totally agree.

It will be interesting to see how a shooting with diverse victims will play out in the media, however.
Old 01-27-18, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm against them.
Old 01-27-18, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So are we in agreement that shootings are pretty much not important (at least not to those outside the area the shootings happen and not to those immediate relatives) because they don't affect a majority of Americans, do not affect anything accept for the locale the shooting happens in, and thus, we really don't need political discussions on it as it's a waste of time. Much like a road rage news report.

If so, I totally agree.

It will be interesting to see how a shooting with diverse victims will play out in the media, however.
I didn’t say any of those things
Old 01-27-18, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
There have been 11 school shootings in 2018. Eleven in 23 days (NB: I don't know if there were any school shootings Wednesday through Friday of this past week. Odds are there was at least one).

This is the world we live in now. They're as commonplace -- and as newsworthy -- as anything else that happens 3 or 4 times a week.

America just does not give a fuck. Let's continue to sacrifice our children on the NRA's blood altar -- it's the price we have to pay to ensure our safety from the paranoid black helicopter delusions.
That's a lot, can you cite where these 11 shootings were and what gun or guns were used?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.