Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Mass Shootings [Merged]

Old 03-23-19, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Mass Shootings [Merged]

That's utter bullshit. We've changed many of the rules since the freakin' 1700s.
Old 03-23-19, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cellar Door View Post
That's utter bullshit. We've changed many of the rules since the freakin' 1700s.
Exactly.
Old 03-24-19, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And another survivor has committed suicide.

Second Parkland Shooting Survivor Apparently Dies By Suicide

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/secon...152655999.html

A second student who survived last year’s mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, has apparently died by suicide, police confirmed.The juvenile, whose name has not been released, died by an “apparent suicide” on Saturday night, Coral Springs police spokesman Tyler Reik told HuffPost. The deceased was a current student at the high school.
Old 03-24-19, 11:37 AM

A second Parkland student has committed suicide:
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...228350134.html
Old 03-24-19, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That is so sad.

Old 03-24-19, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If this has already been mentioned I apologize. My wife is a teacher they just went through that drill. They played them recordings from Parkland. That supposed "Resource Officer" is as culpable as anyone. He saw the guy coming. He recognized the kid who was known to be trouble, radioed the office and said the kid was coming with what appeared to be a gun bag over his shoulder. He said let him in and find out what he wants. If he was any more complicit he would be an accomplice.

This guy's conduct that day goes beyond negligence. His behavior was such a dereliction of duty I can't recall a similar case. He should absolutely be sued personally. I don't see how the normal LEO legal protection could help him. This guy followed no known protocols or even common sense. His bullshit about not knowing where the shots were coming from were cowardice. You go toward where you think it's coming from even if you are wrong, at least you are moving to help. You see what you assume is a gun bag and you don't intervene?

I normally stand up for LEO and give the benefit of the doubt. I see absolutely nothing honorable in this guy.
Old 03-24-19, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle View Post
Can you EVER shut the hell up with your "I know what other people think and feel so let me tell you what they think and feel" bullshit?
So what is your commentary? Honeycomb goodness to everyone's ears? I think not. You have your commentary, I have mine. Let's leave it at that and take your own advice for once.
Old 03-24-19, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
If this has already been mentioned I apologize. My wife is a teacher they just went through that drill. They played them recordings from Parkland. That supposed "Resource Officer" is as culpable as anyone. He saw the guy coming. He recognized the kid who was known to be trouble, radioed the office and said the kid was coming with what appeared to be a gun bag over his shoulder. He said let him in and find out what he wants. If he was any more complicit he would be an accomplice.

This guy's conduct that day goes beyond negligence. His behavior was such a dereliction of duty I can't recall a similar case. He should absolutely be sued personally. I don't see how the normal LEO legal protection could help him. This guy followed no known protocols or even common sense. His bullshit about not knowing where the shots were coming from were cowardice. You go toward where you think it's coming from even if you are wrong, at least you are moving to help. You see what you assume is a gun bag and you don't intervene?

I normally stand up for LEO and give the benefit of the doubt. I see absolutely nothing honorable in this guy.
Yeah, I'm surprised more hasn't been said. This guy is a coward and should be stripped of any LE career. He's a disgrace to people wearing a badge, who protect others. Where the fuck the school dragged up this piece of shit, is beyond my reasoning. In fact he's such a coward, he's actually dangerous to any community he lives in.
Old 03-24-19, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Has anyone else noticed that the usual suspects haven’t been claiming that the Christchurch massacre would have been stopped if the people in the mosque had been armed?

Curious, that. It’s usually the first thing that comes from the second amendment crowd after one of these happens, even if it’s overseas like Charlie Hebdo, Bataclan, or the July 22 Norway massacre. But when it’s a nazi shooting up a mosque, not a peep about how the worshippers should have had guns.
Old 03-24-19, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Has anyone else noticed that the usual suspects havenít been claiming that the Christchurch massacre would have been stopped if the people in the mosque had been armed?

Curious, that. Itís usually the first thing that comes from the second amendment crowd after one of these happens, even if itís overseas like Charlie Hebdo, Bataclan, or the July 22 Norway massacre. But when itís a nazi shooting up a mosque, not a peep about how the worshippers should have had guns.
Not surprising at all. Much in the same way the pro-gun people would have issues if there was a movement among black people to buy guns. I'd love to see that happen just to witness the sheer hypocrisy.
Old 03-24-19, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
So what is your commentary? Honeycomb goodness to everyone's ears? I think not. You have your commentary, I have mine. Let's leave it at that and take your own advice for once.
I do take my own advice. I don't try to speak for other people. I don't declare that Muslims and New Zealanders were offended by Jacinda Ardern wearing a hijab. That's what you did. Do you have some evidence that Musilms and/or New Zealanders were offended, or are you just a fucking liar?

STOP FUCKING LYING, DVDP. That's my commentary.
Old 03-25-19, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Not surprising at all. Much in the same way the pro-gun people would have issues if there was a movement among black people to buy guns. I'd love to see that happen just to witness the sheer hypocrisy.
You mean you would like to see it happen again?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulford_Act
Old 03-25-19, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Exactly. It's just another in a long line of absurd tactics by gun nuts. Too Soon! So it's too soon to discuss after Parkland. Has enough time passed since Vegas to discuss gun reform? Too soon for that one too? Oh, okay, how about Sandy Hook? No? Do we need to go back further? Columbine was 20 years ago this week. Can we talk about common sense gun regulation on that one?
Again, I never mentioned the US. I was comparing NZ to Norway, two tragedies in countries with low gun violence.
Old 03-25-19, 01:28 PM

Father of Sandy Hook victim Avielle Richman found dead at Edmond Town Hall in Newtown after apparent suicide
https://www.courant.com/breaking-new...hu4-story.html
Old 03-25-19, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That really sucks. I can't even fathom losing a child like that, especially when you have unbelievable assholes out there harassing these poor parents, and telling them it was all fake.
Old 03-25-19, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For crying out loud. His poor wife and remaining children. I can't even imagine what they must be going through.
Old 03-25-19, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And he was a neurologist working on the mental health aspects of these shootings. So sad. Sandy Hook should have been a turning point for the country.
Old 03-25-19, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But hey, those good guys with guns, though!

Old 03-25-19, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
And he was a neurologist working on the mental health aspects of these shootings. So sad. Sandy Hook should have been a turning point for the country.
Yes, it should have been a turning point. When it wasn't, I realized that the US is a completely lost cause in this aspect.

Old 03-25-19, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post

There is no doubt that the Resource Officer's performance was pathetic. He was a Police Officer that was coasting with an assignment that he thought was low risk and when the time called for him to step up he was a coward.
Old 03-25-19, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
That really sucks. I can't even fathom losing a child like that, especially when you have unbelievable assholes out there harassing these poor parents, and telling them it was all fake.
I was just listening to a This American Life episode via podcast about conspiracy theorists and they did a long segment on Alex Jones and how he stoked the conspiracy theories about Sandy Hook. They talked with one of the fathers of the victims who has been devoted to trying to get Sandy Hook CT videos removed from youtube and other social media. He has been somewhat successful, but he said it is a never-ending fight. And he is often harassed and stalked by these nuts. He has to keep changing apartments because they find out where he lives and he is afraid for the safety of his other children when they are staying with him.

And, of course, Trump is an Alex Jones fan. So deplorable.
Old 03-25-19, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

These PTSD/survivorís guilt stories are just crushing.
Old 03-25-19, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
These PTSD/survivor’s guilt stories are just crushing.
But see people need to be able to hunt with AR-15s and thousands of rounds. You see the dilemma.
Old 03-25-19, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Third suicide in a week? So depressing.
Old 03-26-19, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Third suicide in a week? So depressing.
I see gun control does seem to be getting traction with both the public and Dems willing to take it up.

Maybe some good and meaningful legislation can come out of this. Even if embarrassingly late.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 03-26-19 at 09:35 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.