Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Mass Shootings [Merged]

Old 01-25-19, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Mass Shootings [Merged]

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
He’s white, so that means he’s mentally ill, or slipped through the cracks, or was otherwise let down by society.

Plus, you know, the fact that he went into a bank in order to just indiscriminately murder people he didn't even know, not to commit a robbery or more run-of-the-mill workplace violence.

I certainly don't recall race playing any real part in post-mortem conversations about John Muhammad, Aaron Alexis, and so on.

What’s on that shirt? Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse? Ringwraiths?
Must be the four horsemen. Ringwraiths carry swords, not scythes. Plus, there were seven of them IIRC.
Old 01-25-19, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

2 dead, 2 critical after shooting near Penn State

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/2-dead-2-c...opstories.html

Two people are dead and two others were last reported in critical condition after a shooting near Penn State University.The shooter killed a man and injured two others at the P.J. Harrigan's restaurant inside the Ramada Hotel about two miles from campus before fleeing the scene, according to State College Police Chief John Gardner.The suspect, later identified by the Centre County Coroner's Office as 21-year-old Jordan Witmer, crashed his car nearby and broke into a home, where he shot and killed another man as his wife locked herself in the bathroom and dialed 911, Gardner said.Gardner said it took police just two minutes to arrive at the bar. Witmer had shot himself to death by the time police arrived at the home.
Old 01-25-19, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Must be the four horsemen. Ringwraiths carry swords, not scythes. Plus, there were seven of them IIRC.
nine.
Old 01-25-19, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
nine.
I am hanging my head in shame.
Old 01-27-19, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And this completes the trifecta for the week!

5 dead after shooting spree in Louisiana

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/26/us/lo...ngs/index.html

They did capture him a short time ago.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/27/us/lo...age/index.html
Old 01-27-19, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
nine.
Yep, the Dwarves got seven rings, come on!

Old 01-27-19, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
And this completes the trifecta for the week!

5 dead after shooting spree in Louisiana

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/26/us/lo...ngs/index.html

They did capture him a short time ago.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/27/us/lo...age/index.html

Well shit, I've done run out of thoughts and prayers for this week, whatever should I do?
Old 01-27-19, 01:23 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Well shit, I've done run out of thoughts and prayers for this week, whatever should I do?
Ever since I saw this, I think about it whenever there's another shooting.
Old 01-27-19, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Try and find as many black market bump stocks as you can. Every bump stock off the street...saves lives.
Old 01-27-19, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Try and find as many black market bump stocks as you can. Every bump stock off the street...saves lives.
Very true. Making it easy to send bullets at a faster rate toward human targets shouldn’t be something we strive for.
Old 01-27-19, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven View Post

Very true. Making it easy to send bullets at a faster rate toward human targets shouldn’t be something we strive for.
One human willfully/intentionally killing or harming another human by any means shouldn't be something we strive for.
Old 01-27-19, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
One human willfully/intentionally killing or harming another human by any means shouldn't be something we strive for.
Agreed but we need weapons designed for the military to “hunt deer” these days so...here we are.
Old 01-28-19, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I figured a negative smart aleck reply to an innocent comment, good job at not disappointing me
I know you don't agree with the founding fathers original intent of the second amendment (the tyrannical government part, the 2a has little to do with deer hunting), so the discussion ends carry on
Old 01-28-19, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, we should strive for taking the dangerous people off the streets.

Removing an object from the dangerous person...does not make a safe person.
Old 01-28-19, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It doesn't? Would you rather face a dangerous person who is unarmed or a dangerous person who has a gun?

You always hear stories about toddlers accidentally shooting people. Would you be worried at all to be locked in a room with a toddler? How about a toddler with a gun? I mean...it's the person who is dangerous, right??

Last edited by Draven; 01-28-19 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-28-19, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Again, other countries have dangerous people. But other countries don’t have the number of guns we have and easy access to them.
Old 01-28-19, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It doesn't? Would you rather face a dangerous person who is unarmed or a dangerous person who has a gun?
As long as you can stay civil, I will entertain. I will also do my best to stay civil. I do realize that I will NEVER have any impact on a person that has made up their mind on a certain subject.

I have seen you ask this question many times in the gun threads, but with slightly different wording. Its not really a critical thought question, it is more like click bait.

Here is my answer, I would rather not face a crazy/insane/dangerous person at all. Your question has already surrendered to dangerous insane people belong in my face (and/or your face). I do not believe they should be allowed to get in my face or your face. I do everything I can to avoid crazy people, they are more scary than monsters under my bed

The question back to you is, why are these dangerous people allowed to walk around free in a society that does not want them to? (or do you want them to?)

hear stories about toddlers accidentally shooting people. Would you be worried at all to be locked in a room with a toddler? How about a toddler with a gun? I mean...it's the person who is dangerous, right??
So here we go with how I believe the logic behind your question isn't really honest and on the level. If you are trying to prove if the gun is more dangerous or the person is more dangerous, you have to separate the two to get a baseline answer, then change a variable and see if that changes the answer.

So my example

Would you rather be in a room with a toddler that has a gun or an enraged felon with a gun that thinks you banged his wife?

I would take the toddler room all day long, wouldn't you? So now which is more dangerous? Both have guns, but really which is MORE dangerous? (I admit both have a danger factor, but to me one is obviously MORE dangerous)

Let me change your question one more time for some variety.

Would you rather be locked in a room all alone with a perfectly functional loaded (60 round extended magazine) AR-15 and the safety is OFF? or would you rather be alone in room with an enraged unarmed felon that thinks you banged his wife?

I would take the room with loaded gun all day long. Even if the AR 15 knew I cheated on it by shooting an AR 10, I still wouldn't be afraid of it

Additional comment: Toddlers should not be allowed to purchase or have access to guns under any circumstances.
Felons should not have guns
Old 01-28-19, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

Again, other countries have dangerous people. But other countries don’t have the number of guns we have and easy access to them.
Yes all countries have dangerous people, but not all bad people are the same (some rob and steal, others rape, some kill, etc, etc, etc). It appears there is a specific kind of psycho that is created in the US.

Let's step outside the box, politics, sound bytes and all the other nonsense for a minute.

I will try to explain myself.

US society or culture or environment or lifestyle or '?' use whatever term you feel is best fitting here I think I gave enough words to hint at what I mean, is creating a mental state in some people that is causing them to want to kill other people that they have never met at a higher rate than happens in other countries.

If you disagree with me here, that is fine, I am not a doctor, I am just stating what I see to be obvious. American life is helping to create this special type of psycho whack job. Someone smarter than me will have to determine what ingredients/recipe bakes up the mental state of a mass shooter psycho.

When I say someone that shoots a bunch of random people is mentally ill, I do NOT mean they were previously diagnosed with schizophrenia or anything like that. I believe someone that shoots a bunch of random people has a mental illness that hasn't been properly defined yet. These people are certainly not mentally healthy or normal, right?

Why does living in the united states contribute to putting people in a mental state where they wish to kill random people?

hint: it isn't the large number of guns owned by legal gun owners that is causing this mental state to occur in people.

I want to add that the design and mechanics of guns are not like nuclear science level difficult to understand and build. Guns are VERY simple devices, even automatic ones.

I have said this before, but anyone with auto repair shop tools can make a gun. Google up some of the Australian homemade guns, they are probably some of the finest examples of what I am talking about. So put aside your belief that guns are only available in the US, they are available anywhere auto shop tools, metal and the internet exist.

So bad people, homemade guns, and opportunity to kill random people are available in many countries, why is it only the US produces such high numbers of mass shooter whack jobs?

Old 01-29-19, 04:08 AM
Political Exile

Good guy with a gun stops bad guy with a gun.

And this happened at a school.

In a hallway full of students.

And the bad guy was carrying a backpack full of ammunition.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...school-n962651

Police bodycam video released showing fatal shooting of parent at Oregon school

Authorities said the shooting happened following a custodial dispute at the school.

January 25, 2019

Police bodycam video shows the moments right before an Oregon officer fatally shoots the parent of a student outside of a middle school following a confrontation.

The fatal shooting happened Jan. 11 at Cascade Middle School in Eugene, following a custodial dispute involving 30-year-old Charles Landeros. The video was released Thursday after the Lane County district attorney ruled that the officer’s use of deadly force was justified.

Landeros' family, however, said in a statement via their attorney that they will be conducting their own investigation "to review the use of deadly force that resulted in the tragic death of their loved one."

"We know this is a complex situation and that these situations often involve split-second decisions that are not fully appreciated simply by watching a video," the family said, adding: "The video, and the accompanying statement from the DA’s office do not change the fact that many in the community are still grieving and that Charlie’s daughters are now without their father."

The incident began when Landeros’ ex-wife went to the school after learning that Landeros had enrolled their child into the middle school without her permission, the DA's office said in a press release.

The school told Landeros — an Army veteran who served from 2006 to 2012 and was honorably discharged — to come to the school, and also called the school resource officer Steve Timm.

When Timm learned that “there was a custody dispute occurring,” he called Eugene Police Officer Aaron Johns for assistance, according to the release.

The video shows the two officers in the school’s hallway ordering Landeros to leave the building.

“The police do not have jurisdiction over here. The principal has not asked me to leave,” Landeros says, before appearing to walk away from the officers.

As the officers were trying to get Landeros to leave the building, the child walked into the hallway. Landeros started yelling at the child to "go," according to the DA’s office.

The video shows one of the officers grabbing and pushing Landeros out a door. Police then announce they're arresting Landeros.

During a struggle, Landeros pulled out a handgun and fired two shots at Timm, the DA's office said. Timm, who was not wounded, returned fire, striking Landeros in the head.

Authorities said students were in the hallway and in a nearby classroom during the altercation. Two people at the school, as well as Landeros’ child, witnessed the shooting, the DA’s office said.

An investigation following the shooting found that Landeros was carrying an extra magazine with ammunition on Landeros' belt and another in the car, authorities said. Landeros was also wearing a backpack that contained additional ammunition, authorities said.

Officer Timm saved the life of Officer Johns, himself and perhaps many others,” the DA’s office ruled. “There is no clearer circumstance that the use of deadly force is justified than this.”
Old 01-29-19, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
Yes all countries have dangerous people, but not all bad people are the same (some rob and steal, others rape, some kill, etc, etc, etc). It appears there is a specific kind of psycho that is created in the US.

Let's step outside the box, politics, sound bytes and all the other nonsense for a minute.

I will try to explain myself.

US society or culture or environment or lifestyle or '?' use whatever term you feel is best fitting here I think I gave enough words to hint at what I mean, is creating a mental state in some people that is causing them to want to kill other people that they have never met at a higher rate than happens in other countries.

If you disagree with me here, that is fine, I am not a doctor, I am just stating what I see to be obvious. American life is helping to create this special type of psycho whack job. Someone smarter than me will have to determine what ingredients/recipe bakes up the mental state of a mass shooter psycho.

When I say someone that shoots a bunch of random people is mentally ill, I do NOT mean they were previously diagnosed with schizophrenia or anything like that. I believe someone that shoots a bunch of random people has a mental illness that hasn't been properly defined yet. These people are certainly not mentally healthy or normal, right?

Why does living in the united states contribute to putting people in a mental state where they wish to kill random people?

hint: it isn't the large number of guns owned by legal gun owners that is causing this mental state to occur in people.

I want to add that the design and mechanics of guns are not like nuclear science level difficult to understand and build. Guns are VERY simple devices, even automatic ones.

I have said this before, but anyone with auto repair shop tools can make a gun. Google up some of the Australian homemade guns, they are probably some of the finest examples of what I am talking about. So put aside your belief that guns are only available in the US, they are available anywhere auto shop tools, metal and the internet exist.

So bad people, homemade guns, and opportunity to kill random people are available in many countries, why is it only the US produces such high numbers of mass shooter whack jobs?
Why do you dismiss the large availability of guns as a contributing factor to gun violence? Especially when study after study show it to be a significant factor?

I mean you really got to tie tie yourself into a pretzel to come up with some mystery psycho disease that only effects people in the US is the cause for mass shootings. But please, post a link or study. I’d love to read about it.

Your Australia is a great example. Tell me again what happened when this gun loving country, who had regular mass shootings enacted some common sense gun control? Including banning certain weapons and a buy back program. Oh their mass shootings dropped....dropped so significaly it was at zero for a bit.

I dont know why you keep keep bringing up “making guns”. No one is talking about banning all guns to all people. Even Australians can buy and do buy guns. They have a very strong “gun culture” with their gun control laws. They don’t need to make a homemade gun, Your trying to suggest that gun control means eliminating all guns to all people all,the time. It doesn’t.

I can post (again) the articles and studies? Cause I can bring receipts on the significant factors contributing to gun violence and mass shootings in the US. And it comes to availability and quantity. This isn’t a secret. Can you post a link to this mysterious psycho desease that only effects Americans?

Last edited by Sdallnct; 01-29-19 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-29-19, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by grundle View Post

Did you even watch the video before posting it?

The good guy with a gun was a cop. Not a citizen.

It did not happen in a hallway. The altercation started in a hallway - that seemed mostly empty- but the shooting happened outside. No students were in sight.
Old 01-29-19, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by grundle View Post

You know this was a case where they called the police and it was the police that shoot the person, right?

While I 100% believe police are,the good guys, that is not what we are typically talking about when we say a “good guy with a gun”.
Old 01-29-19, 09:06 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Amazin'!
Old 01-29-19, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 01-30-19, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

Why do you dismiss the large availability of guns as a contributing factor to gun violence? Especially when study after study show it to be a significant factor?

Because guns have been in America for how many hundreds of years? Higher volumes of mass shootings are more of a recent occurrence

The simple math of more of object 'a' in the world means more bad actions happen with object 'a' is simple and lazy.

The more pools you have in the US, the more deaths you will have that involve pools
The more 8" chefs knives you have in the US, the more deaths you will have with chef's knives
The more cars you have in the US, the more deaths involving cars you will have

I do not consider any studies proving this painfully obvious point as an actual 'study'. It is more pointing out obvious statistics proving an agenda, right? The more of something there is in the US, the more you have a statistical probability of a negative outcome from said thing.

Do you really need a study to know that? I think stating this and calling it a study, and calling for action based on this information to LIMIT a constitutional right from US citizens is the base definition of dirty pool. Those that want to agree with the 'study' will not take a step back and look at it that way.

I mean you really got to tie tie yourself into a pretzel to come up with some mystery psycho disease that only effects people in the US is the cause for mass shootings. But please, post a link or study. I’d love to read about it.
Not really, I have been around guns my entire life. My parents are from rural Pennsylvania, a gun was around and available just like a kitchen knife all the time. Guns were not demonized or made out to be evil. If you want to call this thought a pretzel, it's up to you, but my thought process is this simple.

step 1. I have had access to a firearm since I was about 10 years old (I knew I could go to my dads closet and get it anytime without anyone knowing).

step 2 I have never once thought about taking a gun and shooting a bunch of people. I am pushing 50 now, so that is a lot of years.

Step 3 I have never had the thought to commit a mass shooting, even though I have had unrestricted access to guns for most of my life

Step 4 I am making the assumption that people that commit mass shootings must be mentally ill. in some way

Step 5 There are studies that show currently documented mental ill people do not commit gun crimes at a higher rate

This is how I come to my conclusion that something is going in with these people that isn't normal. Their mental health cannot be normal

What you are saying by calling my thought a pretzel is that people who shoot up a bunch of other people are mentally healthy and normal? REALLY?

To me that is the pretzel, convincing yourself these people that shoot up other people are mentally normal and healthy, how does that work?

To me, there must be something wrong with them.

Your Australia is a great example. Tell me again what happened when this gun loving country, who had regular mass shootings enacted some common sense gun control? Including banning certain weapons and a buy back program. Oh their mass shootings dropped....dropped so significaly it was at zero for a bit.
Even AU officials have commented publicy how what was done in the AU would not work in the US. I am not going to debate it with you. The AU and the US are different places, the same tactics will not have the same outcome. We can agree to disagree. If you like the AU, I hear they have an immigration process.

I dont know why you keep keep bringing up “making guns”. No one is talking about banning all guns to all people. Even Australians can buy and do buy guns. They have a very strong “gun culture” with their gun control laws. They don’t need to make a homemade gun, Your trying to suggest that gun control means eliminating all guns to all people all,the time. It doesn’t.
and I don't know why you keep bringing up Australia, they are irrelevant to a US discussion. I bring up making guns because it is legal to do so. I can make a semi automatic AR15 legally. Most people think that banning sales of AR15s is a win, it isn't, I can make one, so can anyone in the US that can legally own one. I bring it up because you can live anywhere and make a gun, so people that have access to basic tools he internet to get plans and metal can make a gun anytime they want. They can also be 3D printed. Gun availability is more prevalent than you may think. You seem to think that only Americans have easy access to guns, others do as well via alternate means

Your above comment about not banning all guns is factually true, but is a trick statement. You want to ban the most popular rifle in america with the most popular magazine capacity, the AR-15 with the 30 round magazine, correct?

Banning that and telling me I can have a 6 shot revolver and then telling me look we didn't ban all guns is not keeping things on the level. I hate revolvers much the same way I hate bolt action rifles. I own them by accident (inheritance), I don't shoot them, neither applies to any of the shooting sports I am a part of, so yes, you are looking to ban guns that most gun owning people in America want and actually have and use. The wording is not 100% genuine.

or your alternative is to create so much red tape and hassle (similar to AU) that many people will not be able to put forth the effort or the expense to own a gun. I am aware the AU requires substantial safes and alarm circuits direct to local police and regular police inspections of gun storage areas. Instead of saying BAN GUNs, the plan then becomes how to hassle people with red tape and regulation to the point where it becomes a burden to own a gun and many will just give up. Mexico has done something like this as well, sure you can own a gun, but you have to jump through 9000 hoops to get there, many aren't able to complete the requirements and many are discouraged, so they just don't own guns.

I can post (again) the articles and studies? Cause I can bring receipts on the significant factors contributing to gun violence and mass shootings in the US. And it comes to availability and quantity. This isn’t a secret. Can you post a link to this mysterious psycho desease that only effects Americans?

This type of tone and attitude are why I don't post here much. Mysterious psycho disease that is a funny way to put it, so try not to use my words against me in cute ways, instead try to grasp on to the underlying concept I am trying to convey to you.

I believe you have to be mentally ill to shoot up a bunch of people (aka the mass shooting)
This happens in America more than anywhere else

Do you think the possibility exists that SOMETHING inside American living is contributing to this?

Or do you really truly believe the ONLY reason mass shootings happen are because there are a lot of guns laying around?

I can see that you spend a huge amount of your life reading anti gun studies financed by anti gun people to present anti gun ideas to all to meet a political agenda that you agree with.

IF the best argument you have is more of object 'a' means statistically speaking more bad things can happen with object 'a' then I have to disagree with you. That basic simple lazy math isn't enough to cut it for me. There must be more to it.

I really wish there were some unbiased studies without agendas out there that can objectively and REASONABLY look at the gun situation in America. Unfortunately this issue is so polarized that any study available today is financed by one extreme or the other to meet a political agenda and both sides of those types of studies are what they are, basically useless. In general these studies start with a conclusion they know to be true and then gather data points to support that conclusion instead of the other way around. I am 100% certain you will disagree with me as these studies seem to be some type of religion for you.

I am turned off by the propaganda on both sides. I discontinued my NRA membership back in the early 2000's for that same exact reason. They are mostly full of shit propaganda.

I can find some interesting studies for you, but you won't like what they say and I guarantee you won't change your life when you read them

Last edited by 4KRG; 01-30-19 at 10:27 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.