Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Mass Shootings [Merged]

Old 11-10-18, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: Mass Shootings [Merged]

Originally Posted by hitmanjules View Post
That's exactly what gun control supporters rant about...

WHO benefits from these horrific acts? Gun control advocates and their agenda. Not gun owners.
I mean yes, if the continuation of these mass shootings some day forces us to actually deal with the problem, then yes, gun control advocates benefit.

Nonetheless, this is one of the ugliest, most cynical thoughts I’ve seen expressed in this forum.
Old 11-10-18, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee View Post
Nonetheless, this is one of the ugliest, most cynical thoughts I’ve seen expressed in this forum.
Yup. It pretty much resides in the intersection of delusional and tactless.
Old 11-10-18, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Fortunately, mass shooters have a civilized society to prove them wrong whenever they rant about being sane and just wanted to do it for fun. Most human beings...don't commit mass murder for fun. However, the shooter did make an accurate observation about the repeated "thoughts and prayers" that seems to be the protocol for any shooting on any news network. This is because of a lack of originality, and cut and paste condolences.

This shooter was mentally deficient. He needed psychiatric help, which more than likely would have included chemical offsets of his consciousness.

If anything, this is a spotlight on those who are ALREADY having mental health problems at a young age (https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...coach-n9347110) and then sign up for the violence they crave (i.e., military) and then come back from extremely violent places, see extremely horrific things, and are expected to be ok in civilian society within 48hrs, when they should be monitored closely, once again, by mental health professionals on a weekly basis. The military spends enough money to easily pay for the needed extra mental health professionals.

This person had issues in high school, and was unfortunately overlooked there as well.

We got a seriously mental health problem getting worse in the US, and it's because of a lack of monitoring and following the person's progress. They just fall through the cracks once they leave one institution and move to another.
I saw an interview with his high school track coach. He attacked her during his senior year. She was urged to not press charges because it would effect his opportunity to join the Marines.

God Damnit!!! Report him. Press charges. Fucking up his chances to be a Marine is a good thing! Same thing happened in Parkland shooting. People protected the shooter instead of reporting him and getting him into the criminal justice system. Report these people. Prosecute! Don’t protect.
Old 11-11-18, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Everyone agrees there is a huge gap in mental health care in our country (hello single payer).

The problem is taking action to actively reduc gun ownership/avaiabity.
Old 11-11-18, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Everyone agrees there is a huge gap in mental health care in our country (hello single payer).
I don't know how it is in other countries with universal health care, but mental health is one of the weaknesses of Canada's system. There's a shortage of shrinks, and therapists and most psychologists (unless they can prescribe) are not covered by the system. The problem is widely recognized and given lip service, but little is done. One reason is probably because few MDs want to get into psychiatry. It doesn't pay nearly as well as other specialties, and it's tough-going. Psychiatry has among the highest suicide rates of all professions.
Old 11-12-18, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

From 2016 (Needs to be updated)

Old 11-19-18, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Active shooter at Chicago's Mercy Hospital. Shooter wounded and at least one police officer also shot. Details still forthcoming.
Old 11-19-18, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Active shooter at Chicago's Mercy Hospital. Shooter wounded and at least one police officer also shot. Details still forthcoming.
'Merica.
Old 11-19-18, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just came to report this. Seems like there is one every week. Wait there is one every week.
Old 11-19-18, 06:04 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
'Merica.
Mhm. Chicago Hospital. Mercy me. Dem Gun Free Zones.
Old 11-19-18, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Mhm. Chicago Hospital. Mercy me. Dem Gun Free Zones.
Cool story bro.
Old 11-19-18, 06:07 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

"Chicago, you say? Well, lookee here. Did you know the city is a gun free zone?"

or:

..Mass shooting
...↳Chicago
....↳gun free zone

A+ dialog tree
Old 11-19-18, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Chicago shooting appears to be a domestic issue. Sounds like it was the dude's ex fiance he targeted.

An officer was also injured, which doesn't make sense. I thought the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun ™. Why didn't this cop do a barrel roll and shoot the guy between the eyes? It's almost like the NRA is lying to us to sell more guns or something!
Old 11-19-18, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
Just came to report this. Seems like there is one every week. Wait there is one every week.
One? We should be so lucky.
Old 11-19-18, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Shooting in Denver. Mhm. Mercy me. Dem no permit, concealed carry states.
Old 11-19-18, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Cool story bro.
Why bother?
Old 11-19-18, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
"Chicago, you say? Well, lookee here. Did you know the city is a gun free zone?"

or:

..Mass shooting
...↳Chicago
....↳gun free zone

A+ dialog tree
Only if one pretends that McDonald v. City of Chicago didn't happen eight years ago. There have been legal gun stores in Chicago for several years now and you can get a CCW as well.
Old 11-19-18, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
Shooting in Denver. Mhm. Mercy me. Dem no permit, concealed carry states.
Illinois and Colorado, to include Chicago and Denver, allow for concealed carry.
Old 11-19-18, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/19/us/ai...nvs/index.html

Another example of the myth of “a good guy with a gun”. And these are trained Marshals. And some seriously suggest arming teachers?

This is just another experiment demonstrating how more guns does not equal safer.
Old 11-19-18, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Illinois and Colorado, to include Chicago and Denver, allow for concealed carry.
I was being sarcastic in response to the troll's post. He was cherry picking one city's laws, while ignoring the bigger picture. Maybe he doesn't realize how close Chicago is to Indiana.
Old 11-19-18, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was being sarcastic in response to the troll's post. He was cherry picking one city's laws, while ignoring the bigger picture. Maybe he doesn't realize how close Chicago is to Indiana.
Ok
Old 11-20-18, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post

Not sure asylums were the right choice, but neither was putting them all back out on the streets.
Now in the 21st century we need to use the term secure in-patient mental health care facility if we want to have a hope of their return.
Old 11-20-18, 01:34 PM
Suspended

The Chicago shooting appears to be a domestic issue. Sounds like it was the dude's ex fiance he targeted.

An officer was also injured, which doesn't make sense. I thought the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun ™. Why didn't this cop do a barrel roll and shoot the guy between the eyes? It's almost like the NRA is lying to us to sell more guns or something!
I understand your response that is layered with the smacky commentary. However.

Bullets kill cops. Of course, you don't read about it that much in certain newspapers and media outlets. It's usually the other way around, making cops the evil people-killers and it's also interesting we don't question the weapons at that point, but the person's special characteristics they were born with.

The only thing that truly stops bad guys with guns are good guys that don't lie. And currently, Chicago has few of them lying souls in office, and are more than willing to place blame on others, rather than solve a very real problem that is tearing communities apart.

They are afraid to face their own communities.

They would rather stay in their expensive offices downtown and only appear when absolutely needed...like a mass shooter who wanted to kill Jews or something. That is precious political gold. At the same time, I also know a fanatic freak Muslim who would shoot Jews is ALSO political gold, but for Republicans. So, it's an unfortunate problem we have that has stuck with us lately. Regardless, we have politicians who are continually telling their communities they are safe...when they are not, and then when something happens...blame somebody and/or political party, and then quickly dash back into their 100% taxpayer-involuntary-approved buildings of ivory.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 11-20-18 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-20-18, 01:39 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/19/us/ai...nvs/index.html

Another example of the myth of “a good guy with a gun”. And these are trained Marshals. And some seriously suggest arming teachers?

This is just another experiment demonstrating how more guns does not equal safer.
You're missing the point. If a teacher wants to arm themselves, and is trained to shoot a firearm, what's your problem with it other than your premediaconceived notion that weapons have no place in situations where bad people have weapons.

I'm not for mandating teachers be armed, because why have people using them in situations where they aren't trained more than the average citizen? Doesn't make sense. However, it also doesn't make sense to tell teachers who can shoot responsibility and accurately--maybe even better than some of these cops I've notice--to keep their weapon at home and the course of action is to call 911 and hope to God it isn't a fatass deputy who has hasn't fired his weapon for over a year at a paper target the size of Maine.

I'm not saying arming somebody is guaranteed to save lives (maybe others will but I will disagree), but it raises the probability that somebody can shoot back and kill the shooter, before he/she/they kill a few more and allow more law enforcement to get on the scene and do their thing. If not...then so what. Are we to say we shouldn't EVER allow teachers to arm themselves if they are trained and responsible to do so?

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 11-20-18 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-20-18, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You're missing the point. If a teacher wants to arm themselves, and is trained to shoot a firearm, what's your problem with it other than your premediaconceived notion that weapons have no place in situations where bad people have weapons.

I'm not for mandating teachers be armed, because why have people using them in situations where they aren't trained more than the average citizen? Doesn't make sense. However, it also doesn't make sense to tell teachers who can shoot responsibility and accurately--maybe even better than some of these cops I've notice--to keep their weapon at home and the course of action is to call 911 and hope to God it isn't a fatass deputy who has hasn't fired his weapon for over a year at a paper target the size of Maine.

I'm not saying arming somebody is guaranteed to save lives (maybe others will but I will disagree), but it raises the probability that somebody can shoot back and kill the shooter, before he/she/they kill a few more and allow more law enforcement to get on the scene and do their thing. If not...then so what. Are we to say we shouldn't EVER allow teachers to arm themselves if they are trained and responsible to do so?
Umm no, think you miss my point. I’ve never said I don’t want a random armed “good guy with a gun” present when there was an active shooter situation.

But I’m absolute sure I don’t want random “good guy with a gun” (trained or not) when there is NO active shooter situation going on.

When “you” can only have the teacher (trained or not) be armed when there is an active shooter situation, then I’d be willing to talk.

My link demonstrated having guns around even those trained, causes the area to be less safe, not more safe.

Now is it more or less safe during an active shooting situation? No idea. I tend to think less safe, but don’t have anything to back that up.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.