Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Mass Shootings [Merged]

Old 07-29-18, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Mass Shootings [Merged]

From what I’ve seen, 3D printed guns are single use and unreliable. Advances will be made in design. Plastic has only come so far and will never be steel.

I think some people imagine a plastic assault rifle or glock. But it’s more like the plastic gun from “In the Line of Fire”. Still dangerous. But single use and unreliable.

If nothing else, it can be proof of concept for the NRA to say gun control is impossible.
Old 07-30-18, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So do they fire plastic bullets?
Old 07-30-18, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, single use and unreliable makes sense, as I'd imagine that firing the weapon would cause a good deal of stress on the plastic.
Old 07-31-18, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is it illegal to make a homemade barrel/chamber and hammer/striker out of metal to fire a bullet?
Old 07-31-18, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Not at all. It is perfectly legal for an individual (who is not otherwise barred from possessing a firearm) to manufacture a gun in their garage provided it is for personal use only. The Undetectable Firearms Act of 1988 requires that firearms must be detectable by metal detectors and x-ray screeners.
Old 07-31-18, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
It’ll be interesting to see their response when a politician is shot by a 3D printed gun that went right through security.
Didn't this already happen? Oops, carry on...I was thinking about the plot of In The Line Of Fire, and that was a ceramic gun.

Your point stands, maybe a re-watch of this good Clint Eastwood film (before he simply became a prop for the Republican Party) by a politician or two might have them nervous about non-detectable firearms in the hands of their base voter.
Old 07-31-18, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
From what I’ve seen, 3D printed guns are single use and unreliable. Advances will be made in design. Plastic has only come so far and will never be steel.

I think some people imagine a plastic assault rifle or glock. But it’s more like the plastic gun from “In the Line of Fire”. Still dangerous. But single use and unreliable.

If nothing else, it can be proof of concept for the NRA to say gun control is impossible.
There was a Vice video I saw several years ago (2014?) that was I think about this Cody Wilson guy. He was 3D printing AR-15 lower receivers. The lower receiver is part of the gun that the magazine fits into, and houses the trigger. It's not the barrel, handle, stock, sites or any of that. I'm pretty sure he was still using a metal AR-15 barrel. According to US law the receiver is what constitutes the actual gun.

The gun he made wasn't single use, and at the time he could only fire off 6 or 7 shots (i.e. not a full magazine) before things started to fall apart.
Old 07-31-18, 06:15 PM
Suspended

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post
Didn't this already happen? Oops, carry on...I was thinking about the plot of In The Line Of Fire, and that was a ceramic gun.

Your point stands, maybe a re-watch of this good Clint Eastwood film (before he simply became a prop for the Republican Party) by a politician or two might have them nervous about non-detectable firearms in the hands of their base voter.
He was already an outspoken Republican when he made that film.
Old 07-31-18, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll ask again... Do they fire plastic bullets (from a plastic casing)?

Bullets are going to be picked up by a metal detector, so what's the real danger?
Old 08-01-18, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andicus View Post

Bullets are going to be picked up by a metal detector, so what's the real danger?
They fire standard metal bullets for now. The issue isn't political assassinations or hijackings so much as it is untraceable firearms that can be used in crimes by people who shouldn't be able to get them. Let's say the system works and a person with mental illness and a history of violence would fail a background check. If he has access to a 3D printer, there's no barriers to him getting a gun.
Old 08-01-18, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by andicus View Post

As plastics gets better and better, they could fire plastic bullets from a plastic casing. Gun powder isn't picked up by metal detectors.
Old 08-03-18, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The NRA Says It’s in Deep Financial Trouble, May Be ‘Unable to Exist’

The National Rifle Association warns that it is in grave financial jeopardy, according to a recent court filing obtained by Rolling Stone, and that it could soon “be unable to exist… or pursue its advocacy mission.” (Read the NRA’s legal complaint at the bottom of this story.)

The reason, according to the NRA filing, is not its deep entanglement with alleged Russian agents like Maria Butina. Instead, the gun group has been suing New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and the state’s financial regulators since May, claiming the NRA has been subject to a state-led “blacklisting campaign” that has inflicted “tens of millions of dollars in damages.”

In the new document — an amended complaint filed in U.S. District Court in late July — the NRA says it cannot access financial services essential to its operations and is facing “irrecoverable loss and irreparable harm.”

Specifically, the NRA warns that it has lost insurance coverage — endangering day-to-day operations. “Insurance coverage is necessary for the NRA to continue its existence,” the complaint reads. Without general liability coverage, it adds, the “NRA cannot maintain its physical premises, convene off-site meetings and events, operate educational programs … or hold rallies, conventions and assemblies.”

The complaint says the NRA’s video streaming service and magazines may soon shut down.

“The NRA’s inability to obtain insurance in connection with media liability raises risks that are especially acute; if insurers remain afraid to transact with the NRA, there is a substantial risk that NRATV will be forced to cease operating.” The group also warns it “could be forced to cease circulation of various print publications and magazines.”

In addition to its insurance troubles, the NRA court filing also claims that “abuses” by Cuomo and the New York State Department of Financial Services “will imminently deprive the NRA of basic bank-depository services … and other financial services essential to the NRA’s corporate existence.”

The lawsuit presents these financial risks as catastrophic. Without access to routine banking services, the NRA claims, “it will be unable to exist as a not-for-profit or pursue its advocacy mission.” The lawsuit accuses New York’s government of seeking to “silence one of America’s oldest constitutional rights advocates,” pleading to the court: “If their abuses are not enjoined, they will soon, substantially, succeed.”

The lawsuit stems from actions taken by New York financial regulators to halt the sale of an illegal, NRA-branded insurance policy. The NRA actively marketed “Carry Guard,” a policy to reimburse members for legal costs incurred after firing a legal gun. In May, the state of New York found that Carry Guard “unlawfully provided liability insurance to gun owners for certain acts of intentional wrongdoing.” The NRA’s insurance partners agreed to stop selling the policies and pay a $7 million fine.

The NRA complaint alleges that New York was not content to block this single insurance product, but instead campaigned to sever the NRA’s ties to a wide range of financial service providers, from insurance companies to banks.

The NRA did not respond to a request for more detail about its financial distress, but its most recent financial disclosure also shows it overspent by nearly $46 million in 2016.

The lawsuit decries pressure from state regulators in the wake of the Parkland, Florida massacre — including a letter asking financial institutions to heed “the voices of the passionate, courageous, and articulate young people who have experienced this recent horror first hand” — and from the governor himself. In April, Cuomo tweeted: “I urge companies in New York State to revisit any ties they have to the NRA and consider their reputations, and responsibility to the public.”

In its complaint, the NRA paints these actions as a “malicious conspiracy to stifle the NRA’s speech and induce a boycott of the NRA.” Cuomo and state regulators, the NRA alleges, were intent on “suppressing the NRA’s pro-Second Amendment viewpoint” and had engaged in “unlawful conduct with the intent to obstruct, chill, deter, and retaliate against the NRA’s core political speech.”

In the filing, the NRA reveals that its longtime insurer broke off negotiations this winter and “stated that it was unwilling to renew coverage at any price.” [Emphasis in original.] The NRA claims it “has encountered serious difficulties obtaining corporate insurance coverage to replace coverage withdrawn.” In addition, the NRA contends that “multiple banks” have now balked at doing business with it “based on concerns that any involvement with the NRA — even providing the organization with basic depository services — would expose them to regulatory reprisals.”

The lawsuit seeks an immediate injunction to block state authorities from “interfering with, terminating, or diminishing any of the NRA’s contracts and/or business relationships with any organizations.” Without court intervention, the complaint reads, “the NRA will suffer irrecoverable loss and irreparable harm if it is unable to acquire insurance or other banking services due to Defendants’ actions.”

Cuomo also did not respond to a request for comment, but has previously waved off the NRA’s lawsuit as “a futile and desperate attempt to advance its dangerous agenda to sell more guns.”
https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...rouble-706371/

I'm not a fan of the NRA, but I think it's a serious misuse of government power to discourage insurance companies from doing business with a perfectly legal organization because the governor disagrees with it.

It's a good thing that Al Gore never tried to get insurance companies to stop doing business with record companies that sold heavy metal music. Or the anti-gay marriage states didn't make an implied threat towards towards insurers of gay-friendly businesses like Budweiser or Disney.

(The NRA went $46M into the red in 2016, the same year it spent $30M to elect Trump.)
Old 08-03-18, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're comparing backing the NRA to backing LBGT friendly businesses?
Old 08-03-18, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
You're comparing backing the NRA to backing LBGT friendly businesses?
Sure. It's a politically contentious issue, and red meat for the rank and file.
Old 08-03-18, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The article is one sided. The NRA was barred from selling an insurance product that they deemed illegal. And if what the article states is correct (that it covered illegal intential acts) the state is very likely correct. Most states don’t allow insurance on illegal acts. Otherwise people would try to insure their weed plants or meth labs.

The NRA is saying the state then tried to get banks and insurance companies not to do business with them. I agree this is an overreach and not related to the above. However, I’m not willing to believe the NRA on face value. My “guess” would be, these institutions are “under attack” from regular people who are stating they will boycotte those businesses that continue to do business with the NRA. This of course is perfectly legal. NRA maybe just going after a pocket that has money.

Besides, I’ve said many times, this the NRA’s doing. They had an opportunity to clean up their own house and decided not to. So others are.
Old 08-05-18, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

59 people shot last week in Chicago? Isn't that a mass shooting? If you ask me that is terrorism.
Old 08-05-18, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The NRA is already morally bankrupt; they might as well go financially bankrupt as well.
Old 08-05-18, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
The NRA is already morally bankrupt; they might as well go financially bankrupt as well.
I blame liberals. Or something.
Old 08-05-18, 09:22 PM

Old 08-26-18, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Four reported dead in Jacksonville shooting at Madden video game tournament

Multiple people were reportedly killed when a shooter opened fire on a Madden video game tournament in Jacksonville, Florida, Sunday afternoon.

Four people were killed and another six shot, according to WJXT.
Old 08-26-18, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope they weren't targeted because the even was being shown live on twitch.
Old 08-26-18, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mass-shoo...183605118.html

They're alluding it:

Based on video from the incident, the shooting occurred during an e-sports tournament in which gamers competed by playing “Madden NFL 2019.” The players were streaming their performances on Twitch, a live-streaming video platform, when the gunshots began.
Old 08-26-18, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Video Shows Moment of Mass Shooting at <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Jacksonville?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Jacksonville</a> Madden Tournament <a href="https://t.co/JsIV487KkT">https://t.co/JsIV487KkT</a> <a href="https://t.co/SLPCvmXibY">pic.twitter.com/SLPCvmXibY</a></p>&mdash; T. Grant Benson ���� (@GrantB911) <a href="https://twitter.com/GrantB911/status/1033782635699601413?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 26, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Fucking horrific. No end in sight of this in our country.
Old 08-26-18, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The gunman who shot dead four people at a Florida video tournament Sunday was a disgruntled gamer who had played there and lost, a competitor said.

The shooter “targeted a few people” and shot them before killing himself, gamer Steven “Steveyj” Javaruski told the Los Angeles Times in a direct message on Twitter.
Old 08-26-18, 04:35 PM
Suspended

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Funny how this never happens at Wimbledon.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.