Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Devin Nunes, Trump's man-servant on the House Intelligence Committee

Old 01-21-18, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Devin Nunes, Trump's man-servant on the House Intelligence Committee

Devin Nunes is the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee. Rather than focus on Russian interference in the election, he has repurposed the committee's investigation to the extent possible and used it to scrutinize and attack the DOJ and FBI.

Nunes has been involved in a series of ploys intended to undermine the Russia investigation being performed by the DOJ and currently led by Robert Mueller. He started the "unmasking" controversy several months ago, and then he shifted his attention to the Steele dossier. Most recently he formed a working group of Republican committee members dedicated to exploring potential abuses of power by federal law enforcement. Now he wants to make public a classified memo that he wrote after cherry-picking damaging info from DOJ/FBI documents.

All of this is bad enough, but to make matters worse, Nunes is refusing to permit the FBI to review the memo, and Republican committee members are denying Democratic members' request to provide important contextual information. What's that mean? The public will hear the errors and misrepresentations but not the corrections and clarification. These acts are shameful, irresponsible, and disrespectful to the DOJ and FBI.

FBI: Devin Nunes Won’t Show Us Memo Alleging Surveillance Abuses at DailyBeast.com
https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-fb...sethememo-memo

The FBI has not been permitted to see the memo Rep. Devin Nunes and his staff wrote about alleged abuses by the intelligence community, The Daily Beast has learned.

"The FBI has requested to receive a copy of the memo in order to evaluate the information and take appropriate steps if necessary. To date, the request has been declined,” said Andrew Ames, a spokesperson for the FBI.
Nunes, who heads the powerful House intelligence community, put together the four-page memo based on intelligence the FBI showed him and a few of his staff, as well as Rep. Adam Schiff, the top Democrat on the committee. More than 150 members of the House have seen Nunes’ memo. Scores are calling for its release, while Democrats say it is “a misleading set of talking points attacking the FBI.”

The fact that Republicans refuse to show the memo to FBI, which characterizes the intelligence they shared with Nunes, has Democrats concerned. One aide told The Daily Beast it means Nunes’ efforts are just politics.

“If this is about FBI abuses, why wouldn’t they share it with the Trump-appointed director who wasn't at the bureau when the abuses supposedly occurred?” the aide said. “If this is about cleaning up the FBI like they claim, wouldn't they want Wray as an ally?”

That aide added that making the memo public without letting the FBI see it first could exacerbate tensions between the Hill and the bureau, and that it could make it even less cooperative with Congressional requests and subpoenas.
The House intelligence committee decided against letting Democrats release a minority report characterizing the intelligence underlying the memo.
Old 01-23-18, 12:36 AM

Re: Devin Nunes, Trump's man-servant on the House Intelligence Committee

Wow. No one cares about this guy's abuse of power and position?
Old 01-23-18, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post

Just kidding. I care -- I just don't have anything to add to your post. I'm hoping Nunes winds up under indictment when all is said and done.
Old 01-23-18, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He's a treason weasel that will get what's coming to him. Pathetic attempts at distraction that he's engaged in now should be transparent to everyone save for the cult afflicted true believers.

Don't know if this has been talked about here before, but that highly improper, late night dash he made to the WH earlier last year- It's been said he got spooked when he saw his own name among those entities unmasked, caught up in the FISA surveillance.

Mueller knows what Nunes is all about. He's going to have an increasingly turbulent 2018.
Old 01-23-18, 01:02 AM

After this memo is released, I think we're going to see a push by Republicans to end the DOJ's Russia investigation. Their pretext will be that "the FBI is out of control" and "we have to put an end to their abuses of power." Of course, an attempt to end the investigation would be an unthinkable abuse of power and subversion of rule of law.

This nonsense makes me sick. Trying to end a federal investigation into a foreign attack by targeting the investigators? How much lower can you get? As I've said before, these people are not patriots in any sense of the word. They continue to put party before country.
Old 01-23-18, 01:05 AM

Apparently the intelligence community hates Nunes's guts. That's the rumor, and it's entirely plausible.

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I'm hoping Nunes winds up under indictment when all is said and done.
Me, too. At the very least, Nunes should be thrown off of the House Intelligence Committee. Hopefully his constituents remove him from office.
Old 01-23-18, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm pretty sure Mueller has a deadman switch in place if they try to get that bold.

This stuff is far enough along and in state of sustained motion now that nothing is going to stop it.
Plenty of indictments in place already...just waiting for the proper time to be unsealed.
Old 01-23-18, 01:18 AM

I think Mueller needs to drop a few more indictments and finally put to rest this ridiculous idea that "nothing happened." I know he's trying to protect the investigation by not revealing certain info to targets, but he also needs to protect the investigation by ensuring that it doesn't getting shut down.
Old 01-23-18, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah I would love to see at least one or two heavyweights indicted prior to the SOTU address on 1/30.

If this slow measured pace is the price to be paid so that this doesn't end up like Iran/Contra with major malefactors getting immunity, then I'm grudgingly ok with it.
Old 01-23-18, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
Yeah I would love to see at least one or two heavyweights indicted prior to the SOTU address on 1/30.

If this slow measured pace is the price to be paid so that this doesn't end up like Iran/Contra with major malefactors getting immunity, then I'm grudgingly ok with it.
If slow and measured produces something that affects any change for the better I'm 2000% OK with it.

The Nunes thing is interesting because who he is and what he's doing isn't 'sexy' nor easily digestible. I originally glossed over the post because it was clear I had to use my brains, not to mention the feeling of being powerless to do anything.
Old 01-23-18, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After this memo is released, I think we're going to see a push by Republicans to end the DOJ's Russia investigation. Their pretext will be that "the FBI is out of control" and "we have to put an end to their abuses of power." Of course, an attempt to end the investigation would be an unthinkable abuse of power and subversion of rule of law.
The memo won't get released. Not while the Republicans control the house. It's a bunch of nonsense. That's why the Dems want it released and the Repubs don't.
The Republicans want to go after the FBI without making their reasons public.
Old 01-23-18, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This nonsense makes me sick. Trying to end a federal investigation into a foreign attack by targeting the investigators? How much lower can you get? As I've said before, these people are not patriots in any sense of the word. They continue to put party before country.
Right... because the FBI is an agency that is the paragon of virtue and above reproach.

What do you think Nunes SHOULD do if he believes the FBI is corrupt?

I'm not saying that I agree with what Nunes is doing, or how he's doing it.
Old 01-23-18, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
The memo won't get released. Not while the Republicans control the house. It's a bunch of nonsense. That's why the Dems want it released and the Repubs don't.
The Republicans want to go after the FBI without making their reasons public.
Hannity says he wants it and he wants it now. lol!
Old 01-23-18, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Right... because the FBI is an agency that is the paragon of virtue and above reproach.

I'm not saying that I agree with what Nunes is doing, or how he's doing it.
The first thing to do would be to talk to FBI Director Wray to ensure that the memo 1) does not contain inaccuracies and misrepresentations, 2) does not reveal sources and methods, and 3) would not compromise ongoing investigations. Nunes doesn't know the relevant law, so he could misinterpret things, intentionally or accidentally.

The rush to make the memo public shows that was probably the plan all along. If Nunes thinks that there was criminal wrongdoing, he should be talking to AG Sessions and FBI Director Wray. Instead, his #1 concern seems to be releasing the info to the public, which suggests a political motive.

Last edited by Ghostbuster; 01-23-18 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-23-18, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The first thing to do would be to talk to FBI Director Wray to ensure that the memo 1) does not contain inaccuracies and misrepresentations, 2) does not reveal sources and methods, and 3) would not compromise ongoing investigations. Nunes doesn't know the relevant law, so he could misinterpret things, intentionally or accidentally.

The rush to make the memo public shows that was probably the plan all along. If Nunes thinks that there was criminal wrongdoing, he should be talking to AG Sessions and FBI Director Wray. Instead, his #1 concern seems to be releasing the info to the public, which suggests a political motive.
My impression was Nunes doesn't want anybody to see it. He wants the DOJ under Trump/Sessions to investigate the FBI in secret based on the info in the memo.
That's why people think the memo is full of made up bullshit, because he won't let anybody see it.

It's similar to the Fusion GPS testimony. Republicans wanted to initiate criminal investigations into Steele and Fusion based on what was disclosed in private sessions. The Rebubs were publicly putting out falsehoods about the testimony so Feinstein released it the show the truth.

Nunes doesn't want anyone outside of Trump's circle to see it because it would be debunked.
Old 01-23-18, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post

Nunes doesn't want anyone outside of Trump's circle to see it because it would be debunked.
Debunked or just not taken seriously and explained away into oblivion so people will forget. Democrats (in this case, the leaders) are really good at just belittling others, making anything irrelevant and putting their own quantifiers on actual evidence, then presenting it to the public as something much more watered down.

Not sure if this kind of behavior is going to be so easily forgotten however, as we have a trail of actions taken, more evidence than just accusations, coincidentally-missing documents, etc.

And what about this "secret society" where texts reveal there was in fact, collusion to prevent a Presidential candidate from winning. This is bordering on an attempted coup of government, where government employees are acting against the system they represent, to further their own desires, and putting in place a person who would not have been put there legally, if this plan was to have been successful.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 01-23-18 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-23-18, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post

And what about this "secret society" where texts reveal there was in fact, collusion to prevent a Presidential candidate from winning. This is bordering on an attempted coup of government, where government employees are acting against the system they represent, to further their own desires, and putting in place a person who would not have been put there legally, if this plan was to have been successful.
...but not from Russia, right?
Old 01-23-18, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow DVD P...slowly back away from your keyboard and take off the tinfoil hat you are wearing.

Yikes...your thoughts seem to be all too easy to manipulate just based on this one post of yours.

I would say more...but wow, just wow.
Old 01-23-18, 09:00 PM

When Deputy AG Rosenstein and FBI Director met with Paul Ryan, they found a compromise. The documents would be handed over, but they would only be viewed by select individuals in a secure facility. Moreover, no copies would be made. Then Ryan and Nunes turned around and screwed the DOJ and FBI by first releasing classified info to the House and then trying to release the info to the public.

Last edited by Ghostbuster; 01-23-18 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-23-18, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I keep thinking Nunes quit, but then I remember that was another Trump toady, Chaffetz.
Old 01-23-18, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh, and:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Trump to declassify Nunes memo if the House approves release, source tells <a href="https://twitter.com/evanperez?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@evanperez</a></p>&mdash; Manu Raju (@mkraju) <a href="https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/955930778310934529?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 23, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 01-23-18, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just curious if you post on any forums that are more conservative or lean more to the right. Because the majority here pretty much agree with everything you say, except for like 2-3 posters here who are like die-hard conservatives.

I feel like people, including myself, who are discussing the problems of this administration, are preaching to the converted, and the ones that support this administration are in a bubble.
Old 01-24-18, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sracer View Post

Voters Call for Special Prosecutor to Investigate FBI

Voters suspect the FBI is hiding something and think a special prosecutor is needed to see if the nation’s top cops have been playing politics.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 49% of Likely U.S. Voters believe a special prosecutor should be named to investigate whether senior FBI officials handled the investigation of Hilary Clinton and Donald Trump in a legal and unbiased fashion. Thirty-one percent (31%) disagree, but a sizable 19% are not sure. (To see survey question wording, click here.)

Sixty-two percent (62%) of Republicans are calling for an outside prosecutor to investigate the FBI, as is a plurality (49%) of voters not affiliated with either major political party. Among Democrats, 38% favor a special prosecutor; 40% are opposed, but 22% are undecided.

The FBI has told Congress that it is unable to retrieve about five months of high-level text messages from the period in 2016 when it was determining whether to seek an indictment of Clinton. The messages are to and from an agent who is already being investigated for anti-Trump bias and was a top player on special prosecutor Robert Mueller’s team investigating the Trump campaign’s alleged collusion with the Russians.

Fifty-eight percent (58%) of all voters think it is likely that the FBI or the agent in question destroyed those messages to hide something from investigators. Thirty percent (30%) consider that unlikely. This includes 40% who say it’s Very Likely the messages were deliberately destroyed versus 13% who say it’s Not At All Likely. Another 13% are not sure.
Link at Rasmussen
Old 01-24-18, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

When will Trump fire that special prosecutor though?
Old 01-24-18, 12:32 PM

Special prosecutors are appointed to investigate criminal wrongdoing. What is the alleged crime? The DOJ should make decisions independently of outside attempts at influence, including public opinion that can be easily manipulated.

This is another blatant attempt to obstruct the ongoing DOJ investigation into Russian interference in the election.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.