Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

California Has Highest Poverty Rate In The United States (again?)

Old 01-17-18, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

California Has Highest Poverty Rate In The United States (again?)

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think?

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 07-09-18 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-17-18, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: California Has Highest Poverty Rate In The United States (again?)

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Note the poverty designation is because of adding the cost of living expenses, paired with income levels.
Why is that a useful metric?

The official poverty rate which just looks at income ranks California tied for 17th in the U.S. with a 15 percent rate.
Old 01-17-18, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The poverty rate unadjusted for cost of living is 24,036 for a family of four, and in CA with cost of living it's on average it's 30,000. That's a big jump, and I'm sure some areas like around silicon valley those numbers go way, way up.

I'm kind of surprised Hawaii isn't higher up the list as well.
Old 01-17-18, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
Why is that a useful metric?
Because if cost of living is much higher your income doesn't go as far (though you still get taxed at the same federal rates)?
Old 01-17-18, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Because if cost of living is much higher your income doesn't go as far (though you still get taxed at the same federal rates)?
Huh ... well when I lived in SF, I was paying about 60% of my income just on rent. I wonder if this article would have considered that in poverty? Sure didn't feel like it.
Old 01-17-18, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
Huh ... well when I lived in SF, I was paying about 60% of my income just on rent. I wonder if this article would have considered that in poverty? Sure didn't feel like it.

I would say yikes that you were paying about 60% of your take home pay on rent...but I am in the same boat. "Poor" in parts (well most of) Northern CA (and a good chunk of Los Angeles County) is a far cry from what most people would consider poor in most states across the U.S..

My salary is somewhere between $45 - 60K so most people would roll their eyes and laugh at not with me if I claimed to be poor...but yeah, I am not a room mate type of person so I pay more than 50% of my take home to rent and live fairly frugally (and my parents frequent gift card handouts so I can treat myself at Panda Express, Starbucks, etc. on occasion are wonderful).

I am starting to have a love/hate relationship with CA (I know, join the long line...right), because I love living here in this state but loathe the high salary requirements just to barely scrape by living on your own. Even if I had an opportunity to get a solid job with a guarantee of employment for at least 12 months in a lower cost of living state (like Kansas) I would have to seriously think twice about making the transition, even as I wrote out a check giving up over half my pay to rent.
Old 01-17-18, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post
I would say yikes that you were paying about 60% of your take home pay on rent...but I am in the same boat. "Poor" in parts (well most of) Northern CA (and a good chunk of Los Angeles County) is a far cry from what most people would consider poor in most states across the U.S..

My salary is somewhere between $45 - 60K so most people would roll their eyes and laugh at not with me if I claimed to be poor...but yeah, I am not a room mate type of person so I pay more than 50% of my take home to rent and live fairly frugally (and my parents frequent gift card handouts so I can treat myself at Panda Express, Starbucks, etc. on occasion are wonderful).

I am starting to have a love/hate relationship with CA (I know, join the long line...right), because I love living here in this state but loathe the high salary requirements just to barely scrape by living on your own. Even if I had an opportunity to get a solid job with a guarantee of employment for at least 12 months in a lower cost of living state (like Kansas) I would have to seriously think twice about making the transition, even as I wrote out a check giving up over half my pay to rent.
I live in Kansas. Trust me, you don't want to live here.

I've always envied people who lived in California, a couple of my brothers lived there for some years, but I've stayed in the Midwest where I was born. Homebody, I guess.