Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

California Prosecuting Man for Insulting Posts on Islamic Center's Facebook Page

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

California Prosecuting Man for Insulting Posts on Islamic Center's Facebook Page

Old 01-02-18, 07:30 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
grundle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 15,894
California Prosecuting Man for Insulting Posts on Islamic Center's Facebook Page

If this prosecution happens, it will set a precedent for anyone who criticizes any organization. This is very scary for those of us who believe in free speech.


http://reason.com/volokh/2017/12/29/...insulting-post

California Prosecuting Man for Insulting Posts on Islamic Center's Facebook Page

The government's theory would equally criminalize insulting posts on a NRA page, or on a pro-Trump organization's page, or on a Communist Party page.


December 29, 2017

In September 2016, Mark Feigin posted five insulting comments on the Islamic Center of Southern California's Facebook page (before he was finally blocked by the ICSC from commenting):

"THE TERROR HIKE ... SOUNDS LIKE FUN" (written in response to the Center's "Sunset Hike" announcement).

"THE MORE MUSLIMS WE ALLOW INTO AMERICA THE MORE TERROR WE WILL SEE."

"PRACTICING ISLAM CAN SLOW OR EVEN REVERSE THE PROCESS OF HUMAN EVOLUTION."

"Islam is dangerous - fact: the more muslim savages we allow into america - the more terror we will see -this is a fact which is undeniable."

"Filthy muslim shit has no place in western civilization."
California is now prosecuting him for posting these comments, on the theory that they violate Cal. Penal Code § 653m(b):

Every person who, with intent to annoy or harass, makes repeated telephone calls or makes repeated contact by means of an electronic communication device ... to another person is ... guilty of a misdemeanor. Nothing in this subdivision shall apply to telephone calls or electronic contacts made in good faith or during the ordinary course and scope of business.
The posts, the California AG's office argues, were "were made with the specific intent to annoy and harass the members of the ICSC," because Feigin "was not trying to engage in any kind of political discussion but instead trying to vex members of the ICSC with his thoughts about their religion." The posts are criminal because they constitute "repeated harassment from those who wish to mock and disparage their religion," and, "[r]ather than attempt to engage in discussion or debate," are "cruel and pointedly aimed at dismissing an entire religion and those who practice it."

What could be more "intolerable" than for [the] ICSC Communications Director ... to check the ICSC's Facebook page and discover that someone has written "PRACTICING ISLAM CAN SLOW OR EVEN REVERSE THE PROCESS OF HUMAN EVOLUTION" as the Defendant in this case did .... Or how about ... "Filthy muslim shit has no place in western civilization." This is exactly the kind of repeated, annoying, and harassing electronic communication that PC 653m(b) is meant to deter. Protected speech? Political speech? Defendant's posts on the ICSC Facebook page are neither of those things.
And the government's argument makes clear that it's going after Feigin for the content -- indeed the viewpoint -- of his speech: "The mere content and nature of the posts establish that they are not made in 'good faith' as Defendant would suggest but are meant to annoy and harass." "Defendant is not seeking uriderstanding or guidance, instead he is posting in order to annoy and harass those who have beliefs with which he vehemently abhors." The Facebook's page public accessibility "does not translate into requiring ICSC or its members to sustain repeated harassment from those who wish to mock and disparage their religion." "Rather than attempt to engage in discussion or debate, Defendant's posts are cruel and pointedly aimed at dismissing an entire religion and those who practice it." Nor is the government's argument limited to vulgar epithets ("Filthy muslim shit"), though even those epithets are constitutionally protected when said outside the context of face-to-face "fighting words"; it applies just as much to the nonvulgar criticisms.

Of course, there's nothing in the government's logic that limits it to comments posted on the Islamic Center's page, or for that matter on the Catholic Church's page or the Westboro Baptist Church's page or the Church of Scientology's page. If the government is right, and the statute applies to posts on organizations' pages, then it would apply to any repeated harshly critical posts


on an NRA page "intended to annoy" NRA employees,

on a pro-Trump page "intended to annoy" its operators,

or on any other ideological organization's page.


The "during the ordinary course and scope of business" exception might exclude consumer complaints, but the government's theory is that this exception doesn't apply to this sort of criticism that is "cruel and pointedly aimed at dismissing an entire religion and those who practice it" -- logic that would apply equally to criticism of political as well as religious ideologies. Nor can the courts constitutionally conclude that harsh insults of the NRA are "in good faith" and similar harsh insults of Islam are not.

This can't possibly be consistent with the First Amendment; indeed, in U.S. v. Popa (D.C. Cir. 1999), the D.C. Circuit set aside a telephone harassment conviction of someone who left seven racist messages on the voicemail of then-U.S.-Attorney Eric Holder; and the court focused on the "political message" of the speech, and not on Holder's status as a government official. Given that insults targeted to a particular person, related to a political message, are thus constitutionally protected, so are more general insults aimed at an ideology and all its adherents, whether that ideology is Islam, Scientology, conservatism, gun rights, or anything else. Laws aimed at preventing unwanted repeated messages to particular private citizens shouldn't be applied to messages sent to ideological organizations (or to public officials). And this is especially so when it comes to annoying Facebook posts, which the organization can simply block.

Caleb Mason at Brown White & Osborn LLP -- which many of our readers may know as the firm at which Ken White (Popehat) is one of the partners -- has filed motions to dismiss the charges; I hope the court indeed promptly throws them out as unjustified under the statute, forbidden by the First Amendment, or both. But if the courts accept such charges, expect to see many more people, left, right, and otherwise, prosecuted for posting insulting messages on many groups' web pages.

(I should note that Feigin is also being charged with making a threatening phone call to the Islamic Center; but that is a separate count, based on separate conduct, and it's far from clear that Feigin was actually the person who made that call, as this CNN story [Scott Glover] describes. The Center employee who received the call claimed that it sounded like Feigin's voice, which he heard when making a call to test the theory that the caller was the same person who wrote the Facebook posts. But the employee also continues to claim that the call sounded like the voice of someone who had left a different message on the Center's voice-mail the day before -- and that person has been proved to be someone other than Feigin.

Nor do the police have any phone records linking the threatening call to Feigin: They waited seven months before trying to get the records, and by then Citrix, which operated the calling number as part of its GoToMeeting teleconferencing system, had purged its records. This is why this post focuses on the Facebook posts, which Feigin did make, and not on the separate threatening phone call charge.)
grundle is offline  
Old 01-02-18, 07:44 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 16,507
Re: California Prosecuting Man for Insulting Posts on Islamic Center's Facebook Page

I only skimmed the bullshit above, but a quick Google of “Mark Feigin” shows he was arrested for calling a mosque and threatening to kill its members.

There are reputable articles that say he may not be guilty (https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...nvs/index.html), that are much less “the Kind of bullshit Grundle would post.”
majorjoe23 is offline  
Old 01-02-18, 08:18 PM
  #3  
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Posts: 18,328
Re: California Prosecuting Man for Insulting Posts on Islamic Center's Facebook Page

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
I only skimmed the bullshit above, but a quick Google of “Mark Feigin” shows he was arrested for calling a mosque and threatening to kill its members.

There are reputable articles that say he may not be guilty (https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...nvs/index.html), that are much less “the Kind of bullshit Grundle would post.”
thanks. That's about what I expected.
Dan is offline  
Old 01-02-18, 08:23 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
grundle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 15,894
Re: California Prosecuting Man for Insulting Posts on Islamic Center's Facebook Page

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
I only skimmed the bullshit above, but a quick Google of “Mark Feigin” shows he was arrested for calling a mosque and threatening to kill its members.

There are reputable articles that say he may not be guilty (https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...nvs/index.html), that are much less “the Kind of bullshit Grundle would post.”

I never said I was against prosecuting the person who made those threatening (and therefore illegal) phone calls.

I said I was against prosecuting the person who made those insulting (but not threatening, and, therefore, not illegal) Facebook posts.

And like you said, your article, which is from CNN, says there is credible evidence that he did not make those phone calls.

Your article states:

A year later, however, there is significant evidence suggesting police may have charged the wrong man, according to a CNN review of hundreds of pages of court records and interviews with participants in the case.

Prosecutors have persisted in their case against Feigin despite dwindling and contradictory evidence, CNN found. At the same time, authorities have declined to pursue charges against a "second suspect" who they now concede is responsible for a belligerent anti-Muslim voicemail left at the mosque, which they once attributed to Feigin and originally viewed as a key piece of evidence against him. That man is the 27-year-old son of a Los Angeles County Superior Court judge.

So instead of prosecuting the person who actually did make at least one of those phone calls (the son of a judge), they are going after a law abiding person who did not break any laws (other than the California law which violates the first amendment).

Your post makes my case stronger, not weaker. Thank you for bringing up a second way that the California government is trying to prosecute this innocent person.

For whatever reason, the Democratic run government of California wants to prosecute an innocent Republican instead of the guilty son of a Democratic judge.

This will get a lot more attention if former prosecutor Kamala Harris (who is mentioned in your article) ever decides to run for president as the Democratic candidate in 2020, as some people have been urging her to do.

Here's the falsely accused guy explaining just how horrible Harris is. If the Democrats want to lose another presidential election, I advise them to run her as their candidate in 2020:


https://freestartr.com/project/suppo...rst-nightmare/

Mark Feigin: Kamala Harris’ Worst Nightmare



Hi there,

My name is Mark Feigin. I am a Trump supporter and proud gun owner. I was falsely charged with threatening an Islamic Center over the phone in 2016 by then-California Attorney General Kamala Harris after writing a few Facebook posts that were critical of Islam. I am facing six years in prison — for something I didn’t do.

Since then, a Satanic cabal consisting of Kamala Harris, the corrupt Los Angeles Police Department, CAIR, the Islamic Center of Southern California, and the lying mainstream media has completely destroyed my life, financially and otherwise. The LAPD raided my home and took my legally-owned guns and ammo, which they used to portray me as a domestic terrorist to the lying media.

Kamala Harris, on the other hand, is now the junior Senator for California. Even worse, the media is grooming her to run for President in 2020.

The Islamic Center of Southern California, in typical Islamic taqiya (Islamic deception) fashion, lied to the LAPD to get me arrested. The LAPD then put their most notoriously crooked female detective (see the Laura Loomer documentary above), on the case, who falsified a confession from me.

I am facing six years in prison, but was told by Harris that if I renounce the Ku Klux Klan and the alt-right, I would receive probation reducible to a misdemeanor. I am half-Jewish and half-Catholic; why would I ever support the KKK? The campaign against me is Soviet in style: renounce your political ideology (which you don’t even ascribe to) and stay out of the GULAG. By the way, I wasn’t ever a member of the alt-right. I am a conservatarian (conservative slash libertarian).

These socialist animals can go fuck themselves if they think I will ever take a plea deal for a crime I had nothing to do with.

Michael Slawson, son of Democratically-appointed Los Angeles Superior Court Judge John A. Slawson actually made the call to the Islamic Center that I was charged with! Slawson was never charged. Slawson has also been linked to threatening calls made to mosques all over the country! He was never charged! Instead, I, a Trump supporter, was charged with his calls and suffered all the consequences.

Slawson hired croney attorney Dominic Trutanich, brother of former Los Angeles District Attorney Carmen Trutanich. At court a few days ago, my attorney got our discovery motions denied (discovery is a constitutional right for criminal defendants). The corrupt judge in our case just denied our motion; Republicans don’t deserve discovery apparently.

The case against me is old school Democrat corruption on acid.

I need your help to fight these beasts, to get the charges against me dropped, and to get my guns and ammo back.

The LAPD used some non-threatening posts I had left on the Islamic Center Facebook page as probable cause. This is bullshit! Here are my posts:
“Practicing Islam can slow or even reverse the process of human evolution.”
“Islam is dangerous—fact: the more Muslim savages we allow into America, the more terror we will see—this is a fact which is undeniable.”

“Filthy Muslim shit has no place in western civilization.”

“If one wants to see the result of Christianity, one can go to Rome and see beautiful architecture, art, science, freedom—if one wants see the result of Islam go to Saudi Arabia—you can see beheadings, subjugation of women – no art, no commerce, no science – Islam is a religion of death, misery and violence”

My posts are protected under the First Amendment. Clearly, the goal of the Democrats is the destruction of the first First Amendment and the Bill of Rights! Please support me so I can beat and expose Kamala Harris for what she has done to me and my family.

This corrupt woman who tried to lynch me for political gain cannot be allowed to gain more political power!

Regards and thanks,

Mark Feigin

Last edited by grundle; 01-02-18 at 08:32 PM.
grundle is offline  
Old 01-02-18, 08:26 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
grundle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 15,894
Re: California Prosecuting Man for Insulting Posts on Islamic Center's Facebook Page

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
thanks. That's about what I expected.

You expected a potential 2020 Democratic presidential candidate to make a false accusation against an innocent (Republican) person while not prosecuting the person who is actually guilty, and who happens to be the son of a Democratic judge?
grundle is offline  
Old 01-02-18, 08:33 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 44,566
Re: California Prosecuting Man for Insulting Posts on Islamic Center's Facebook Page

Hate crime whodunit: He posted hateful words -- but did he threaten mosque?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/29/us/hat...nvs/index.html
inri222 is online now  
Old 01-02-18, 08:37 PM
  #7  
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Posts: 18,328
Re: California Prosecuting Man for Insulting Posts on Islamic Center's Facebook Page

Grundle, no one's going to read an article from "freestartr" whatever that is.
Dan is offline  
Old 01-02-18, 08:39 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
grundle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 15,894
Re: California Prosecuting Man for Insulting Posts on Islamic Center's Facebook Page

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Hate crime whodunit: He posted hateful words -- but did he threaten mosque?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/29/us/hat...nvs/index.html

Thanks for that link, which seems to be pretty popular in this thread!
grundle is offline  
Old 01-02-18, 08:41 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
grundle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 15,894
Re: California Prosecuting Man for Insulting Posts on Islamic Center's Facebook Page

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Grundle, no one's going to read an article from "freestartr" whatever that is.

Normally, I would agree with you.

But since someone else posted about this guy being falsely accused of making threatening (and thus illegal) phone calls, I think the guy deserves to be heard in his own words, even if it is just a blog or whatever.
grundle is offline  
Old 01-02-18, 08:42 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
grundle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 15,894
Re: California Prosecuting Man for Insulting Posts on Islamic Center's Facebook Page

I started this thread to talk about the Facebook posts, but it's perfectly OK with me that two other people also want to talk about the phone calls, which were made by a different person, but are still on topic, in a way.
grundle is offline  
Old 01-02-18, 09:03 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 16,507
Re: California Prosecuting Man for Insulting Posts on Islamic Center's Facebook Page

From an article around the time he was arrested:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latim...story,amp.html

“The tweets also included remarks against Muslim refugees — “drowning them is best,” one read.

If it makes you feel better, those Muslims were in the street.

Grundle Bullshit: Get out of here with it.
majorjoe23 is offline  
Old 01-02-18, 09:10 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
grundle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 15,894
Re: California Prosecuting Man for Insulting Posts on Islamic Center's Facebook Page

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
From an article around the time he was arrested:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latim...story,amp.html

“The tweets also included remarks against Muslim refugees — “drowning them is best,” one read.

If it makes you feel better, those Muslims were in the street.

Grundle Bullshit: Get out of here with it.

That is a threat. I support prosecuting whoever made that threat.

That being said, your article says:

tweets that may be connected to Feigin

So they don't know if he made that tweet or not.

The only thing we know for certain is that he made those five Facebook posts, none of which are threatening.
grundle is offline  
Old 01-02-18, 09:17 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 1,111
Re: California Prosecuting Man for Insulting Posts on Islamic Center's Facebook Page

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Grundle, no one's going to read an article from "freestartr" whatever that is.
Not true. Here the article confirms that this guy is a hate filled, delusional person who most likely deserves anything bad coming to him and who is better off not being able to own guns. Just to clarify, I’m talking about Mark and not Grundle.
JasonX is offline  
Old 01-02-18, 09:25 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 1,111
Re: California Prosecuting Man for Insulting Posts on Islamic Center's Facebook Page

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
The only thing we know for certain is that he made those five Facebook posts, none of which are threatening.
I don’t think you would think them non threatening if they were aimed at you (or maybe better, a family member). For example:

“Grundle has slowed or even reverse the process of human evolution.”
“Grundle is dangerous—fact: the more Grundle-like savages we allow into DVDTalk, the more stupid articles we will see—this is a fact which is undeniable.”
“Filthy Grundle shit has no place in DVDTalk.”

Dehumanization of those you disagree with is that leads to violence and is, in and of itself, an implied threat.
JasonX is offline  
Old 01-03-18, 07:23 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
grundle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 15,894
Re: California Prosecuting Man for Insulting Posts on Islamic Center's Facebook Page

Originally Posted by JasonX View Post
Not true. Here the article confirms that this guy is a hate filled, delusional person who most likely deserves anything bad coming to him and who is better off not being able to own guns. Just to clarify, I’m talking about Mark and not Grundle.

Originally Posted by JasonX View Post
I don’t think you would think them non threatening if they were aimed at you (or maybe better, a family member). For example:

“Grundle has slowed or even reverse the process of human evolution.”
“Grundle is dangerous—fact: the more Grundle-like savages we allow into DVDTalk, the more stupid articles we will see—this is a fact which is undeniable.”
“Filthy Grundle shit has no place in DVDTalk.”

Dehumanization of those you disagree with is that leads to violence and is, in and of itself, an implied threat.

Even if you were to say all of those things, and even if they were all about me, I still wouldn't want the government to prosecute you for it.
grundle is offline  
Old 01-03-18, 07:46 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 29,804
Re: California Prosecuting Man for Insulting Posts on Islamic Center's Facebook Page

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
Even if you were to say all of those things, and even if they were all about me, I still wouldn't want the government to prosecute you for it.
What if they called you on the phone to say those things?
Draven is offline  
Old 01-03-18, 08:10 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
grundle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 15,894
Re: California Prosecuting Man for Insulting Posts on Islamic Center's Facebook Page

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
What if they called you on the phone to say those things?

No, I still wouldn't want the government to prosecute him for that.

However, if he told me that he was "Rachel from card member services," then yes, I would want him prosecuted for fraud. It's funny how "Rachel from card member services" doesn't even know which credit card I have, let alone what my credit card number is. So that is a clear case of fraud. And fraud is a crime.
grundle is offline  
Old 01-03-18, 09:01 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 29,804
Re: California Prosecuting Man for Insulting Posts on Islamic Center's Facebook Page

So because you are okay with harassment, everyone else should be okay with it to?
Draven is offline  
Old 01-03-18, 10:32 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
grundle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 15,894
Re: California Prosecuting Man for Insulting Posts on Islamic Center's Facebook Page

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
So because you are okay with harassment, everyone else should be okay with it to?

Being against the government prosecuting people for doing something does not mean that I am OK with that something.
grundle is offline  
Old 01-03-18, 10:41 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 29,804
Re: California Prosecuting Man for Insulting Posts on Islamic Center's Facebook Page

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
Being against the government prosecuting people for doing something does not mean that I am OK with that something.
Um...okay.
Draven is offline  
Old 01-03-18, 12:14 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Inhumans99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 2,885
Re: California Prosecuting Man for Insulting Posts on Islamic Center's Facebook Page

Grundle...really? C'mon man try harder, with quotes like this "Since then, a Satanic cabal consisting of Kamala Harris,..." the guy is nuttier than my turds after I snarf down a handful of salted peanuts.

Y'all on the right have to find better standard bearers to stand atop hills you want to die on. Even if he has a point that he is being unfairly targeted the dude is crazy with a capital C, anyone who thinks there are Satanic Cabals gunning for them in the U.S. is someone who would frighten Arnold Schwarzenegger in a dark alley, even if Arnold was loaded for bear like he was at the end of Commando.
Inhumans99 is offline  
Old 01-03-18, 12:25 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 44,566
Re: California Prosecuting Man for Insulting Posts on Islamic Center's Facebook Page

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post
Grundle...really? C'mon man try harder, with quotes like this "Since then, a Satanic cabal consisting of Kamala Harris,..." the guy is nuttier than my turds after I snarf down a handful of salted peanuts.
There might be some truth to that. Alex Jones said that high-level sources confirmed to him that Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are demons.
inri222 is online now  
Old 01-03-18, 12:33 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Inhumans99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 2,885
Re: California Prosecuting Man for Insulting Posts on Islamic Center's Facebook Page

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
There might be some truth to that. Alex Jones said that high-level sources confirmed to him that Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are demons.
Here's the thing I get it, plenty of folks will want to lump him in as part of the 10 guilty men it is better to let go free than send 1 innocent person to jail saying, fair enough.

The problem is that we still do not know if he is indeed innocent, and yeah...if the words Deep State, or Satanic cabal come out of your mouth when you are trying to make a point then most of your intended audience (folks who are not already in your bubble that you want to bring to your side) will just tune you out.

Heck, if he said that people were coming at him like he is the next incarnation of Hitler which is like so totes unfair I would be more open to thinking he has a point, even though invoking Hitler to make your point is usually a surefire way to kill the conversation.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 01-03-18 at 01:04 PM.
Inhumans99 is offline  
Old 01-03-18, 03:05 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 51,627
Re: California Prosecuting Man for Insulting Posts on Islamic Center's Facebook Page

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mark-lu...slamic-center/
A Los Angeles man found with multiple weapons and hundreds of pounds of ammunition in his home was charged with making terrorist threats to the Islamic Center of Southern California, authorities announced Tuesday.
Assuming this was all correct and done legally proper, Grundle, going to advise that this wasn't about the comments on the social media websites, but more about evidence that was obtained. When you add threats being made to a religious center and then add finding weapons and ammunition at the home, it's not a healthy mix.

But I will still agree with you that making comments on social media should be left alone, as long as they are not threats against others.
DVD Polizei is online now  
Old 01-04-18, 07:13 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
grundle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 15,894
Re: California Prosecuting Man for Insulting Posts on Islamic Center's Facebook Page

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mark-lu...slamic-center/


Assuming this was all correct and done legally proper, Grundle, going to advise that this wasn't about the comments on the social media websites, but more about evidence that was obtained. When you add threats being made to a religious center and then add finding weapons and ammunition at the home, it's not a healthy mix.

But I will still agree with you that making comments on social media should be left alone, as long as they are not threats against others.


Your article is 15 months old.

The more recent CNN article that was linked to by two people here says that he did not make those threats.

I agree with your comment about non-threatening posts on social media.
grundle is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.